Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

I received a reverb g2 today and played around in msfs a bit. Tooling around vfr is quite fun but the image is a little blurry. I wear glasses (and my eyes don't quite have the same required correction) but every other vr thing I've tried in the past had something that let you adjust the focus.

Frame rate is actually pretty good as long as you don't whip your head around a lot. Must be the reprojection thing masking the real frame rate.

I am glad to read this because I haven't seen others bring up the blurry issue with their G2, but I have the same problem. It happens around the middle of the two lenses. It's more noticeable in some games than others. Not sure if there is a fix for this. I am not wearing glasses, I got prescription lenses to put over the ones in the G2, so I didn't have to wear my glasses. Mostly playing MSFS, and iRacing with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
I have a dumb questions.

Which modules of DCS have a pilot/operator avatar in 1st person?

Also, are there pilot avatars in MS2020? ..or a way to put them there?

Same questions with IL2..

I ask because my brain is broken is a specific way that makes me unable to enjoy ghost flying/driving/etc in VR and I only sim in VR so

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I think all of them do in DCS.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sagebrush posted:

An Mbit is one eighth of an Mbyte. Divide the value by 8 to get a more useful number

I know, but this it's still dumb as poo poo.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Steadiman posted:

Someone is making a GTN750 module for MSFS and the free (beta) version is really neat to play with. Tried it with the Caravan and it's a very welcome addition to be honest, curious where this is gonna go. It certainly looks the part. He's also making a more fully-features payware version.

https://pms50.com/msfs/

It's worth mentioning that this isn't a "buy once" payware thing, since he's planning on making it a subscription for some reason.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Thoatse posted:

I have a dumb questions.

I ask because my brain is broken is a specific way that makes me unable to enjoy ghost flying/driving/etc in VR and I only sim in VR so

IL2 doesn't render your own pilot in first Person View I think, but War Thunder does. It's also good stellar vr performance so you might enjoy a couple of rounds in their sim battles. Although admittedly I haven't played in years.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Someone mentioned nee interfaces for msfs2020 earlier.

I'm getting ads for an interesting DIY kit. Seems to be a generic interface to access your planes avionics with a touch screen. Tempted to get it at the price, but I'd strongly prefer physical controls over a touch screen; the added value over a smart phone app isn't entirely clear this way.
https://shakeprint.com

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Thoatse posted:

I have a dumb questions.

F-18 has VR pilot body model, as does Mirage 2000. Those are the only ones that I am aware of. F-14 has one on the roadmap, and F-16 should get it this year too.

I am not sure of the Harrier. No other modules have VR pilot bodies unless I’m mistaken.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

IL2 doesn't render your own pilot in first Person View I think, but War Thunder does. It's also good stellar vr performance so you might enjoy a couple of rounds in their sim battles. Although admittedly I haven't played in years.

I've found the War Thunder model trippy since I don't have rudder pedals yet, and whenever my dude moves his feet I get the urge to move my own in tandem.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

sigher posted:

Man, I'm downloading super slow with the updater now like I did when the game first released... also could they please stop using loving Mbits to measure download speed. What the gently caress is with that poo poo.
All network connections use MBits or higher magnitudes. If your cable/DSL line is 100MBit and MSFS says it's downloading at 20, you know how unsaturated your line is.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

All network connections use MBits or higher magnitudes. If your cable/DSL line is 100MBit and MSFS says it's downloading at 20, you know how unsaturated your line is.

Yeah I'd actually like Steam to show Mbit instead of MB per sec. In MSFS's case the problem is more with the number of small files. When the MSFS updater downloads larger files it rises to 200+ Mbit/s but it spends most of its time negotiation the connection and it's really annoying. You'd think it was possible for them to do some sort of packaged larger downloads that are extracted on the client. Kinda like almost every other product that updates over the internet.

E: It seems you can change the Steam units now that I looked at the settings. Also it seems MSFS downloads are capped at 256MBit/s. Which is fine.

lobsterminator fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 18, 2021

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I still have the download problem with the msfs patcher where if it gets above 22 Mbits or so, it fails and restarts big files over and over again. Have to restrict my connection to 20 Mbit download which makes it take forever to patch but at least it gets done. Wish they would fix the drat patcher.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

azflyboy posted:

It's worth mentioning that this isn't a "buy once" payware thing, since he's planning on making it a subscription for some reason.

Incredible.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Lord Stimperor posted:

Someone mentioned nee interfaces for msfs2020 earlier.

I'm getting ads for an interesting DIY kit. Seems to be a generic interface to access your planes avionics with a touch screen. Tempted to get it at the price, but I'd strongly prefer physical controls over a touch screen; the added value over a smart phone app isn't entirely clear this way.
https://shakeprint.com

I ordered and assembled it already. Then my monitor died, so I haven't had a chance to configure it and try it out yet.

I'll report back once I do. I have a stack of GoFlight panels that I'm hoping this will replace entirely.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I doubt anyone besides me is still played P3D, but if you happen to have a Prepar3d v5 install lying around, Flight Replicas has made a version of their venerable Super Cub payware addon (originally for FSX) that's compatible with P3D v5, and released it completely for free.

It's definitely showing its age, but honestly for an upgraded version of a decade-old addon it looks drat good, and it's a ton of fun to fly.

Unfortunately the package doesn't include all the weird variants the original package did (there were like a dozen different Super Cubs in the FSX version), but the plane it does include is a really cool little airplane that's great for bush flying. Dated, sure, but a pretty good deal for $0.

http://www.flight-replicas.com/SuperCubv5.htm

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

F-18 has VR pilot body model, as does Mirage 2000. Those are the only ones that I am aware of. F-14 has one on the roadmap, and F-16 should get it this year too.

I am not sure of the Harrier. No other modules have VR pilot bodies unless I’m mistaken.

Huey has bodies for pilot and co-pilot but not gunners I think.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Good lord, what the hell is going on inside MSFS?

Typically I get about mid-30 to mid-40 fps with the G1000 planes (50 - 60 with a steam gauger), depending on where I'm flying - I got a combo of medium/high settings that work well for me at 2560x1080 on a 1660ti.

Last night I jump in and I'm crawling at 10 - 15 fps. Spent a bunch of time tweaking and troubleshooting and managed to get a steady 25.

Eventually, I cycle the VFR map off (not VISIBLE mind you, simply not available in the menu) and my fps immediately jump back up to the mid 40s.

??

What the gently caress is up with that map?

Is there some sort of bug where the game is told "ok, only update this thing at <whatever>" and that's taken as a global rate or something?

The strange part is, once I got my fps back to normal I could cycle the VFR map all day long, remove it or add it back to the menu as much as I want, make it visible move it resize it, whatever.....and the fps remained fine.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The iconic being on the menu tanks performance for some reason, it's a known issue.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

My Honeycomb Bravo arrived yesterday. Overall I'm impressed, my only real knock is that the knobs on both the GA and Commercial levers are way smaller than I expected.

My only real beef is that the setup in MSFS 2020 is a loving pain in the balls, but that's more of a MSFS issue. Setting it up in X-Plane 11 was stupid simple.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

sigher posted:

The iconic being on the menu tanks performance for some reason, it's a known issue.

Yeah, I know. I'm just venting/yelling at (lovingly rendered, volumetric) clouds.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

JayKay posted:

My Honeycomb Bravo arrived yesterday. Overall I'm impressed, my only real knock is that the knobs on both the GA and Commercial levers are way smaller than I expected.

My only real beef is that the setup in MSFS 2020 is a loving pain in the balls, but that's more of a MSFS issue. Setting it up in X-Plane 11 was stupid simple.

Its a lot of fun just moving the throttle to full power. Like, just that alone makes the purchase worth it. Love having a trim wheel.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And now my MSFS2020 keeps CTD'ing once I get loaded in and hit "Ready to Fly", goddammit.

Different airplanes, different airports, same CTD. Even tried clearing out my Community folder just in case it was a mod issue, no dice.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Looking at putting together a "simulator" (with full inverted commas) for a local youth group.

I'm thinking a seat, couple of screens, pedals, throttle, joystick.

Software either military or civilian sim.

This would all be out of my own pocket. I'm fine with woodwork, building a PC for it, and the labour aspect. Happy to start basic and upgrade later.

I don't flight sim, so just have a coupla questions:

What's the cheapest flight sim that isn't arcadey and doesn't require ridiculous computer hardware, but that still require thought for things like landing a plane?

Should I consider anything about the seat/screen positioning to make it a mire realistic posture?

Is there anything else I shoukd think about?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I’d definitely get into airgoons discord on our gear channel. Lots of us build sim pits there, including myself. I have a 1200$ setup on top of my PC itself and it isnmt very hard.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

simplefish posted:

What's the cheapest flight sim that isn't arcadey and doesn't require ridiculous computer hardware, but that still require thought for things like landing a plane?

Should I consider anything about the seat/screen positioning to make it a mire realistic posture?

Is there anything else I shoukd think about?

The two worthwhile civilian sims are X-Plane and FS2020. Either one will run on modest hardware (like a fairly recent i5 and a 1060, not a donated grandmaputer) if you turn down the graphics. Too bad about the current graphics card situation though lol. Both will also take as much computer as you want to throw at them and chew it up and spit it out. Price is 60 bucks like any other video game.

For military sims, DCS is the most realistic but you have to buy planes one at a time (except for the Flaming Cliffs pack which comes with like 8 of them for 30 dollars, which is a good deal to start out). DCS also is the only option for flying modern combat jets. Il-2 is a good choice if you want to fly WW2 propeller planes.

Both of these are leagues beyond casual simulators like War Thunder or whatever and will give you plenty of challenge doing a proper landing. In DCS you can even do aircraft carrier ops.

Airplane seats are pretty much just regular seats. The ones in combat jets are reclined a bit but that's the only "realism" thing from a postural point. I would make sure that the pedals are attached to the seat (and can be moved forwards and back for different people) so that they don't get kicked away.

For the screen I would suggest a big TV, like 48 inches or something, mounted fairly close. 4k looks amazing but you'll need like at least a 2070 to run it smoothly.

A trackIR system will make it very immersive.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

JayKay posted:

I'm jealous.

I literally got the Alpha yoke today and after a couple flights I'm over the moon.

Here's hoping I can find a Bravo in stock (in Canada, preferably) sometime.

What's the go-to stop gap? I could get a Saitek throttle assembly for $80cdn and then flip it on eBay when I get a Bravo but I did my flights tonight with my Thrustmaster HOTAS throttle set up on the r/h side. It wasn't perfect but got the job done, I suppose.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Rot posted:

I'm jealous.

I literally got the Alpha yoke today and after a couple flights I'm over the moon.

Here's hoping I can find a Bravo in stock (in Canada, preferably) sometime.

What's the go-to stop gap? I could get a Saitek throttle assembly for $80cdn and then flip it on eBay when I get a Bravo but I did my flights tonight with my Thrustmaster HOTAS throttle set up on the r/h side. It wasn't perfect but got the job done, I suppose.

I pretty much did the same thing using my CH Pro Throttle on the right. It was a bit awkward but it got the job done until I was able to get my Bravo.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
DCS has its Steam sale now!

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Vahakyla posted:

DCS has its Steam sale now!

Any recommendations? I'm not 100% on how DCS operates between planes, missions, and packs.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

FunOne posted:

Any recommendations? I'm not 100% on how DCS operates between planes, missions, and packs.

Well drat, that is one broad question!

Let me try. This is the thread for DCS: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891
And our wiki about DCS and the modules: https://www.airgoons.com/w/Digital_Combat_Simulator

Anyway, DCS is free, and in the free package you get the game, the Caucasus map, and two planes, TF-51 (unarmed Mustang), and the russian Su-25T. This requires no money, and the 25T has SP missions, and is perfectly useable in MP, too.

There are bunch of maps, out of which many are for WW2. The goon-consensus is that Persian Gulf is the first map you should buy, and Syria is the second one if you have money.

Out of the planes, it completely depends on what you like. However, if you want to play active PvE multiplayer, and or you want to play with goons in our saturday DCS missions, a teen-series fighter is what you want. These planes will allow you to shoot at planes, fly fast, and bomb ground targets. Some other full sims, like A-10C or Harrier, will limit your mission options much more, and in my opinion aren't as good as the only plane purchase. If you are buying many, then this is mostly moot.

F-14, F-16, F-18, and the Pakistani JF-17, are all capable multirole fighters that are fully clickable study-level sims and will basically fill the same spot, with minor differences. F-18 and F-16 are the two purely most capable planes with the most modern avionics, and the F-18 can land on a boat. The F-14 lands on a boat, and you can play with a human RIO, which is phenomenally done, and a blast. The F-14 has less sophisticated avionics, but it can still hang. Lot of DCS missions, goon games, and PVE-MP communities focus in the late 1990's as a rule of thumb, and so the F-14 is in no way handicapped. I fly it pretty exclusively because I get to do it with my friends, and the shared cockpit is just so immersive and rewarding. If you don't have a human buddy, and you don't want any of the other goons in your backseat, an AI JESTER RIO will do an ok-job and even talk to you.

The JF-17 is a bit of an oddball, kind of like a different idea of the F-16, with very similar use cases. It's a cool plane, and a well made module.

The Flaming Cliffs packet will give you the A-10A, F-15C, MiG-29, and Su-27 for only 25 dollars total, but these are non-clickable planes with some systems missing, and shortcuts to use many of their functions. They aren't bad, but they aren't study level sims. We still use them, mainly the F-15C, as it is a popular, fun, and an exceptional fighter. They will be lots of fun, but not the same way as clickable study sims.

Getting the PG map, and one fighter of your choice will set you well up to goon games. After that, it comes to interest. I like the supercarrier module, but it is very pricey. It makes for very scenic and moody carrier ops with humans running in the deck, and better carrier ATC and LSO. But it is not a vital purchase.

I recommend our discord for questions, because there's a lot of material on it. https://discord.gg/MQwHFTjE

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 22, 2021

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

FunOne posted:

DCS is technically FTP, but has only one map (caucuses) and two planes. And of those planes, one is a P-51 trainer with no guns, and the other doesn't have a clickable cockpit which is one of the big draws of DCS. (There are some really good planes modded in that you can download for free, like the A4 Skyhawk and the A-29 Super Tucano though)

Most planes come with a campaign and some training missions, though the quality of training missions varies wildly from plane to plane.

A-10C and F/A-18 are the two biggest, most comprehensive modern (-ish) planes and the first two I'd recommend. The F-18 is still in early access, but it's basically complete and theres only a few little things left to add. The A-10 is for-real released

The F-16 is also in early access, but is much further away from completion and I wouldn't recommend it unless you really love the F-16.

The general recommendation is to get whatever plane looks coolest to you. Or to grab whatever plane has the role that sounds most fun.

The F-14, JF-17, and Harrier are good. Also the cold-war era planes are generally well done too, though obviously less capable than a modern one with a targeting pod.

I dunno, looking at the list the only one I really wouldn't recommend is the F-16 just because its so under-done. If you have any concerns about a particular module, just post and you'll get good feedback I'm sure.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Nice timing. DCS Steam Sale up to 50% off.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/223750/DCS_World_Steam_Edition/

It's also possible to link your DCS Steam account with your native DCS account so your Steam purchases will sync over, meaning you'll be able to use your modules purchased in Steam in both versions.
Quite a few people choose to buy everything on Steam but download the stand-alone version of DCS because it gets access to betas sooner, etc.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 22, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How long has that been a thing? Or was it always? Maybe it's the other way around that doesn't work. I bought the vegas map in some way that doesn't allow transferring to the other system.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

How long has that been a thing? Or was it always? Maybe it's the other way around that doesn't work. I bought the vegas map in some way that doesn't allow transferring to the other system.

I'm not sure specifically. I just know I linked my Steam account to my ED account and it seems to work fine, at least with the F-16, F-18, and Persian Gulf maps.

edit: here's instructions on how to do it: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/223750/view/2873815732584411725
I just bought a couple things on the Steam sale a few minutes ago and transferred them over to my ED account no problem.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 22, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

FunOne posted:

Really simply, if you want to just try out modern jets as cheaply as possible, you have two choices. You either try the free Frogfoot for air to ground, or buy the very cheap but low fidelity (no clicking) F-15 for air to air.

If you want a good full fidelity plane, I highly recommend the F/A-18C Hornet module, it's multirole and carrier capable, so it lets you have a taste of everything and the plane flies really well.

To learn it easily, I'd also recommend grabbing the Persian Gulf map and the Rising Squall campaign. That campaign's Ace Combat style hammy writing and soundtrack is love it or hate it, but it does an excellent job of guiding you through the various systems of the Hornet.

The Supercarrier is a massive waste of money but if you're already in, it's a nice if overpriced improvement to the game.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you think you like clicking switches in cockpits I'd just skip Flaming Cliffs and go straight to the F-18. It's the most well-rounded of all the modern fighter jets, it's got a lot of depth in its systems, and it can operate from a carrier.

I also really like the F-5 and the F-14. The F-5 is very simple, though -- no radar guided missiles or precision bombs. It's a lot of fun to fly but doesn't have the flexibility of something like the Hornet. And the Tomcat is unquestionably the best module in the game, but it is 100% a two-person plane and the Jester AI is...well, not as good as a human. Where it really shines is the multicrew functionality. If you have a buddy who wants to be the RIO (or pilot -- I only fly the RIO seat in it lol) it's fantastic. On your own it's merely okay and one of the single-seat planes is probably better.

e: okay technically the F-5 can carry GBUs but it can't designate the targets itself. If you have a buddy in an A-10 though he can lase for you and that's pretty cool. Actually now I'm curious if an F-14 with the LITENING can do it too

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 23, 2021

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I want to get DSC World just so I can fly the C130 mod. Does anyone use that in their missions?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
In DCS, are the individually purchasable SU-27, SU-33, and F-15 the same versions included in Flaming Cliffs 3?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

In DCS, are the individually purchasable SU-27, SU-33, and F-15 the same versions included in Flaming Cliffs 3?

Yes. Exception is that individual Su-27 does not give you a J-11, but FC3 does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yep. Flaming Cliffs includes:

F-15C
Su-27
Su-33
Su-25A/T (but you already have the T for free)
MiG-29A/G/S
A-10A

and all of them are the same as the standalone versions that are currently available. The Su-27 when bought as Flaming Cliffs also comes with a J-11, which is the Chinese license-built version. It's basically identical except for the cockpit labels, paint job, and some of the weapons.

They have announced a full-fidelity MiG-29 for release "after Black Shark 3," which on the DCS schedule means we might see an early access version by like 2023.