Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I still have a first gen pro, so this is a definite upgrade for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah mine is the 3rd gen pro- apparently my applecare runs out at the end of July. I dunno, maybe I might upgrade.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

hatty posted:

I wonder if there will be enough of an upgrade from my 3rd gen pro for me to bother. It’s perfect already

God yeah it’s so good. I probably would buy an air if I was buying now but I do like the 12.9” screen.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah I don't plan on upgrading my 2 year old iPad Pro but I'm looking forward to seeing whats new and honestly how Clip Studio Paint works on it.

:same: the 2018 model is still pretty much perfect. I might buy a newer Smart Keyboard to replace the beat up one I got now but the new iPad would have to be considerably better for me to consider it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I’m on the 2016 10.5 iPad Pro. Gotta give it , it still works really well, with the battery not being as good as it was.

I think this may be the year I upgrade here.

My “issue” is I’ve held out for a few years on upgrading my iPad and my 2012 Mac air, so now of course I’m starting to want to upgrade both. I’ll probably long term upgrade both, and just see which one I do first (aka I may not be preordering this iPad just yet).

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 14, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Endless Mike posted:

I still have a first gen pro, so this is a definite upgrade for me.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah mine is the 3rd gen pro- apparently my applecare runs out at the end of July. I dunno, maybe I might upgrade.

I wish Apple would fix the naming on the iPad Pros, it's a mess and completely impossible to tell what people have unless you cross-reference a wikipedia page.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah going by year is the only way to kind of figure it out.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I have the 9.7 Pro. The battery is definitely showing its age. Been holding off getting the Air until I see the min-LED and what new chip will be in these. Hopefully the price difference won't too stupid.

It will be.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I wonder if the iPad Air 4 will work with the Apple Pencil 3...

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I have the original iPad Pro and it’s still performing great, bar some recent small hiccups - I don’t feel a reason to upgrade yet other than a better Pencil experience.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hello IPad thread. Are we pretty confident that a new Pro and maybe a new Mini will be announced on the 20th?

https://www.techradar.com/news/ipad-pro-2021-and-4-other-gadgets-to-expect-at-apples-spring-loaded-event

Any guess as to long after the announcement they will hit retail?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It all depends. You can typically start ordering them as soon as the store comes back up. Whether you can buy one at retail immediately after is anyone’s guess.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Either they will go on preorder when the store opens back up for a Friday release or go on preorder Friday for a release on the following Friday.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Awesome. I need one by June, hopefully they trickle down to Costco by then.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Hello IPad thread. Are we pretty confident that a new Pro and maybe a new Mini will be announced on the 20th?

https://www.techradar.com/news/ipad-pro-2021-and-4-other-gadgets-to-expect-at-apples-spring-loaded-event

Any guess as to long after the announcement they will hit retail?

The rumor is the Pro 12.9 will have a mini LED screen, and the rumor with that is it will very much be in low supplies at first.

So probably available for preorder , but it could be the Apple device launch where it takes forever to get.

That said, I would hope, if you preordered in April, you would get one by June. The only time I saw an Apple device take that long to ship was the iPhone 6+ when it first launched in like, 2013 or 2014.

That all said, honestly whether it’s available at Costco or not, you would think by June, but Apple def gets first priority. I don’t know if anyone will discount a brand new Pro, is there a reason to get it at Costco if it’s the same price at Apple ?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Costco usually kicks in a $50 discount but yeah I won’t bother if it’s the same price.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Costco has a great return policy so if you don't have an Apple store nearby I could see that being a benefit.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Costco has a great return policy so if you don't have an Apple store nearby I could see that being a benefit.

Oh absolutely, there’s stuff I would want to buy at Costco if given a choice. Just pointing out for a new launch iPad, may not be worth the wait in that case.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The semiconductor supply chain is fubar right now. This could easily impact availability.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Murgos posted:

The semiconductor supply chain is fubar right now. This could easily impact availability.

Oh it absolutely will.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I have one of the current Minis, I would buy the poo poo out one with the new Air design and usb c

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I have a bunch of specific requirements for an iPad (10.2) case, has anyone heard of one that fits this?

* Kickstand that can go into a steep angle for viewing and a shallow angle for drawing
* Holder for Apple Pencil
* No folio cover over the screen by default
* No built-in screen protector (planning to use the Paperlike screen thingie)

Went browsing for a bit but haven't been able to find something that matches.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Cicero posted:

I have a bunch of specific requirements for an iPad (10.2) case, has anyone heard of one that fits this?

* Kickstand that can go into a steep angle for viewing and a shallow angle for drawing
* Holder for Apple Pencil
* No folio cover over the screen by default
* No built-in screen protector (planning to use the Paperlike screen thingie)

Went browsing for a bit but haven't been able to find something that matches.

You're probably going to have to buy something with a screen protector, peel the plastic off, and put your thing in its place.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So who wants to start the Event thread?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1384513786762125316?s=21

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Event is live on YouTube.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m not able to watch but where dem new pads at?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m not able to watch but where dem new pads at?

On it right now

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

:stare: drat that is some impressive iPad *throws ipad pro gen 3 in trash*

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
Yes. The iPad Air is great and I’m happy with it but now it’s trash. And I am poor.

If there is one bad thing about the new iPad Pro, not enough ports. I was hoping for at least 10-12 USB-C ports and maybe a Compact Flash slot or even an extendable can opener.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Still not enough to push me from my current pro but maybe the next one. Especially at $1100

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Gotta see how the prices break down but drat

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Only the 12.9 inch one gets the XDR display???

I can't believe they're finally gonna convince me to buy The Big Slab

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Big slab is good

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Too big, no thanks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

Big slab is good

It’s real real good

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

As an artist I love big slab.

I also want a loving 22" ipad so :shrug:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

$535 seems comically little for a 256 iPad Pro 3rd gen trade in but I might just bite it for the convenience of not having to deal with people and make the jump to the new one.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

$535 seems comically little for a 256 iPad Pro 3rd gen trade in but I might just bite it for the convenience of not having to deal with people and make the jump to the new one.

The tradein tax is worth it for me as well for streamlining not having to sell to potential flakes on the internet imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is that the trade-in value you are being given from Apple?