Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Radiation and pirates almost everywhere, with 2 clouds of scary dark matter rotting your hull even faster if you wander into them. What a lovely place with super cheap fertilizer, consumer goods and construction machinery made by criminal hands.

You did not quite get all the wrecks though. There was a container wreck in the Grande Negra, in same square as supply ship. It looks like you even passed and marked its location when offscreen cruising towards Avenger.
Feels like a miracle though, as it has 40 units of superconductors and would have been even bigger loss in the end with the issue of cargo space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Lulti posted:

Radiation and pirates almost everywhere, with 2 clouds of scary dark matter rotting your hull even faster if you wander into them. What a lovely place with super cheap fertilizer, consumer goods and construction machinery made by criminal hands.

You did not quite get all the wrecks though. There was a container wreck in the Grande Negra, in same square as supply ship. It looks like you even passed and marked its location when offscreen cruising towards Avenger.
Feels like a miracle though, as it has 40 units of superconductors and would have been even bigger loss in the end with the issue of cargo space.

The Dallas Storage Container? I knew about it and have been using various guides with which its existence seemed to have slipped by most of them and for that, I wrote it off as a target for pissing off the local authorities for being a storage container and not an actual wreck.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

The Dallas Storage Container? I knew about it and have been using various guides with which its existence seemed to have slipped by most of them and for that, I wrote it off as a target for pissing off the local authorities for being a storage container and not an actual wreck.

It is perfectly lootable wreck like any of the ships so far. Why would the authorities care for a cargo platform surrounded by ruins in middle of a disaster cloud that not even pirates have patrols through?
It's even marked with the red X, unlike another container wreck in Sigma-13 that is just a blurry cargo icon in middle of gas cloud, but is just as justifiable lootable.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I like that they did not fail to put in a Planet Houston in the system. Kind of hoped they could have had a another reference to its strange surface.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Texas is probably the most interesting Liberty system with the "hypergate-accident" background and the hostile environment. The system is surprisingly deadly for a starter map with the death clouds.

For the future you could decide if or how many wrecks you would want to loot "on camera". The most sensible approach might maybe getting a specific rumor on the wreck and then going there. Treasure hunting and exploring is Freelancer's most unique and fun time waster. But that very much depends on luck and location getting the rumor in the first place.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Lulti posted:

It is perfectly lootable wreck like any of the ships so far. Why would the authorities care for a cargo platform surrounded by ruins in middle of a disaster cloud that not even pirates have patrols through?
It's even marked with the red X, unlike another container wreck in Sigma-13 that is just a blurry cargo icon in middle of gas cloud, but is just as justifiable lootable.

I've already recorded the next update but I will make sure to record this and fit it in. I pass through the Texas system anyway so it won't be too hard recording and editing in a detour, I'll eat the loss of 10 superconductors so it doesn't disrupt things too much.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I forget, are you posting Trent's personal logs? I know there's a log that updates at most, if not all the main quests, written by Trent to explain what's going on.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Gothsheep posted:

I forget, are you posting Trent's personal logs? I know there's a log that updates at most, if not all the main quests, written by Trent to explain what's going on.

I am indeed, they can be found in the sslp test post links along with news stories when they appear.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm putting together the final touches for the next update. I went back in to record a segment involving the Dallas Storage Container wreck. It took an hour and several attempts because I kept cocking forgetting that I was loading an old save, kept arsing forgetting to unload the cargo hold and kept pissing forgetting to switch things around for the sake of continuity. The final cut will be a little different as I almost fecking forgot to do something in the previous recording session. Instead of being professional and re-recording the segment or doing some editing to make it look like I know what I'm doing, I thought that I'd keep it in and do some extra editing. At least it's helping me learn a little more about Vegas Pro.

I also had to cut the segment of selling the goods from the wreck and leaving the Texas system from the newer recording due to continuity as well because I bastarding forgot to buy Nanobots before I left the base.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 8, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158559

This video should hopefully cover everything that I've missed in Liberty space. We are back at Willard Station in California as I wanted to purchase the exclusive Guardian Shield before we moved onwards. This video starts off by examining the haul from the wrecks in the last update as well as showing off a couple of pieces of equipment that I picked up elsewhere.

Before we visit New York again I pass through Texas where I show the Dallas Storage Container wreck and the jump hole to New York, which got cut from the last update as I was having issues with Xsplit stuttering during that part of the recording. I used the original recording of passing through the New York jump hole as there would have been a continuity error otherwise as I forgot to buy more Nanobots after selling the Superconductors. Superconductors aren't really sought after in Liberty Space, I originally sold them for $179 apiece on Planet Houston.

Back in New York, I start off by showing off a jump gate that I missed originally as well as a few jump holes to various systems. I also show an area that is hiding a secret, right now we can't reach it and any attempts at doing so will result in certain death. I finish this video off with a visit to Detroit Munitions, a base that I missed out on the original tour of New York. I also had to make a u-turn as Trent forgot his hat at Willard Station.

:frogdunce:

I haven't recorded the next update yet as I've had virtually no free time this week. I will be working on the next update soon, which will be the next story mission.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

RIP diamonds. You will be mist

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Super sped up travel works better for the purposes of clarity than cuts, I think. If you did "OK, I got from point A to point B" like you did with the shield trip, just with... a bit different background music, it'd be great.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

my dad posted:

Super sped up travel works better for the purposes of clarity than cuts, I think. If you did "OK, I got from point A to point B" like you did with the shield trip, just with... a bit different background music, it'd be great.

I'll consider speeding up instead of cutting in the future. Making that edit wasn't a total loss. I only included that particular piece of music because of the absurdity of the situation. Whenever I think of an intermission I always think of Monty Python & The Holy Grail.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
The New York inter-system jumphole is for later story purposes. There are quite a lot of those around in Sirius.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Seems like only things you are missing in Liberty are two Junker bases in New York and Texas, but there's no real good reason to visit them if your reputation with them is in the red. Rochester in New York at 3D and Beaumont in Texas, again at 3D.

Speaking of reputation, the Rogues and Corsairs should hate you and attack you, but the game is giving you some leeway by making the hostile fighters neutral towards you so you could fly to Manhattan in peace for the next story bit.
Their bases still hate you, as we could see from the Rogues Buffalo base in the Badlands.

The game gives same kind, but shorter term leeway during free play when doing bar missions. I could leave a base somewhere less secure to kill an Outcast lieutenant while there is a huge gaggle of Outcasts attacking the base, all neutral towards me as I charge up the cruise to go kill their boss. The Mission Commission must be fiddling with the algorithm in our favor.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Night10194 posted:

One thing I really love about this game is that rumors, following enemy patrol routes, checking anomalies and asteroid fields, all these things are actually worthwhile. Finding all the stuff off the beaten path is fun.

E: Another interesting thing, for capturing enemy equipment; drop chances seem to be partly based on your net worth. I'm not entirely sure if it's 'weapons won't drop unless it's X level' or 'drop rates improve', but the wealthier you are, the more prizes fall off dead enemies.

Rumors are great for lore reasons in games like these. If I ever got a job just writing these little ministories I would be happy as s clam.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

evilmiera posted:

Rumors are great for lore reasons in games like these. If I ever got a job just writing these little ministories I would be happy as s clam.

"if people in bars can't be 100% correct about everything they say at all times, why are they in a bar?" -- videogames

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Rochester Base is best base, hostile or not.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Lulti posted:

Seems like only things you are missing in Liberty are two Junker bases in New York and Texas, but there's no real good reason to visit them if your reputation with them is in the red. Rochester in New York at 3D and Beaumont in Texas, again at 3D.

I'll be focusing on all things rogue post-LP.

Lulti posted:

Speaking of reputation, the Rogues and Corsairs should hate you and attack you, but the game is giving you some leeway by making the hostile fighters neutral towards you so you could fly to Manhattan in peace for the next story bit.
Their bases still hate you, as we could see from the Rogues Buffalo base in the Badlands.

That explains things but it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me, there's no real reason why they shouldn't react normally.

I did a test run of the next story mission earlier today, I'll be recording and uploading the next update on Sunday if all goes well. It seems like the following update will be another story mission too.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Mission Logs: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158611

We have some more downtime before the next mission so I'll be taking on missions to level up and uncovering more rumours. There isn't a whole lot else to do in Liberty space right now so the next update will be the next story mission. I did consider speeding up some of the travel times but there wasn't a whole lot of dead air, so to speak, I weighed up an extra two hours of editing and encoding to cut down a small amount of video time.

I'm going to take a short break, record a video for another LP that I am doing then go back into Freelancer and playing until I level up again. If I have enough time today I may attempt the next mission.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The 3 totally not Rheinlanders in Liberty aircraft are the ones I mentioned in a spoilered comment before. If you can take them out (actually really difficult unless you position yourself right and use a million flares), you're rewarded with a unique turret that can last you almost to the endgame.

e: This is also where the cruise disruptor detonation trick helps out a lot.

my dad fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 18, 2021

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Another fun fact for the Rowlett encounter: If you attack the navy patrol and can defeat them with some trickery and a good countermeasure launcher, you get a unique laser turret, "Rowletts Revenge".

EDIT: Bah. This happens when you take too long for typing that reply out. Getting upstaged by my dad.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 18, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I did try, but my rear end got blown into so many pieces it could no longer be handed to me.

Edit: It didn't take too long to reach level seven. It only took a couple of low-level missions, I spent far more time visiting various bars on the way back towards Planet Manhatten.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 18, 2021

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

I did try, but my rear end got blown into so many pieces it could no longer be handed to me.

If i remember right, the trick was hiding behind the jumpgate model and spamming that button for countermeasures. Even npc missiles can't go through physical objects. Then pick off those navy defenders carefully one by one.
It doesn't matter. Some heavy fighters later in the plot don't even have turret mounts anymore. Makes "Rowlett's Revenge" more a collector's item.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
I've only ever gotten that special turret when messing with game files to change a single 1 into 0 to become invulnerable for a fuckaround playthrough.
Fun, if a bit boring, floating in radioactive zones and exploring while pirates plink away at my never breaking shields. Cruise disruptors also ineffective, letting me cruise everywhere.
Though flying into planets or stars still kills through this "god mode".

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Wow, cold Juni. A man just got killed after being falsely accused of being the leader of the Order and you're like "welp, he's gone now"

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
"The reason I asked you here, Trent, apart from your glittering social commentary, is because I have a job for you."

It's scenes like these that make Jennifer Hale such a popular voice actor. She really nails that 'professional soldier trying to deal with a guy who is too useful to cut loose but too annoying to take seriously' vibe.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Personal Entries, Rumours (Collected off-screen before this recording session) and News Stories: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158668

The Freeport 7 disaster turned Trent's life upside down and now it's about to be turned again in a very different direction. I didn't quite finish all of the objectives for the mission in this video, you'll probably understand why when you watch it. This video contains a lot of plot development and I don't want to spoil anything.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Trent can be incredibly dickish when refusing plot missions, and his justifications for it in his diary keeps getting funnier as time goes on.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

my dad posted:

Trent can be incredibly dickish when refusing plot missions, and his justifications for it in his diary keeps getting funnier as time goes on.

I decided to press decline this time just to hear the dialogue, I'm now tempted to make a compilation of all of the refusals.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I decided to press decline this time just to hear the dialogue, I'm now tempted to make a compilation of all of the refusals.

There's no reason not to decline every main mission before accepting.

Also, this part is always such a rush. Music's great, the stakes are awesome, everything just works. Except that it messes with your reputations (even those that turn friendly to you!), making you arbitrarily lose progress.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The next update has been recorded and I'm encoding it now with Vegas instead of Xsplit as I'm trying something different with the editing. This update is going to be a little longer than usual as I'm going to be starting out with the final part of the story mission which leads to taking a look at some new ships and equipment and working on a suitable setup for the tour of the Leeds system. I thought that I'd combine them all into one update, I'll put a timestamp into where the tour begins as the first eight or ten minutes, depending on how you look at it, is setting things up. I've decided to experiment with speeding up the travel footage instead of cutting it out completely, this time there will be no whacky theme tunes that I used as a gimmick like I did the first time around when I forgot to buy the Guardian shield. I've decided to keep with the audio of the ship's engines, it's not perfect but it's something that I can work on. The next update will be completely un-cut.

I do like Vegas but :eyepop: at the 2:39:00 encoding time. I think that it's time to run a bath or something.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

my dad posted:

I don't know if I ever did this when I played but now I feel like I have to. Trent is already such an rear end in a top hat about everything else that it makes perfect sense he'd be one about missions too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Dromedary is easily the most fun freighter in the entire game once you get it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
This mission shows one of the games weaknesses. There are a ton of huge surprise fights in story missions spread out over time and only one or two resupply points during it. Not being able to recharge missiles and healing items can make some of the later missions very difficult and tedious

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Slaan posted:

This mission shows one of the games weaknesses. There are a ton of huge surprise fights in story missions spread out over time and only one or two resupply points during it. Not being able to recharge missiles and healing items can make some of the later missions very difficult and tedious

Yeah, for as much as the ships look and seem different, in my experience there's really only three major differences between any ships: The number and class of weapons/shields they can mount, the top speed while boosting, and the number of shield batteries/repair bots they can carry. Surviving the harder missions is really a matter of learning how to make those consumable repair items last.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The ability to turn quickly is also really important, but it's not listed as a stat. It's why one of the top 3 post-endgame ships is head and shoulders above the others, despite seeming weaker on paper.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

my dad posted:

The ability to turn quickly is also really important, but it's not listed as a stat. It's why one of the top 3 post-endgame ships is head and shoulders above the others, despite seeming weaker on paper.

Of course having mastered the uncanny power of strafing and engine kill, even a Titan or Sabre can outmaneuver any npc ship and some players. The Eagle space plane looks too goofy to me.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 1, 2021

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The best ships in the game are uniformly ugly. There are some very cool Kusari and Rheinland designs, and also some quite nice looking Liberty ships (Bretonian ships are trash though), but the VHFs are visually very uninspiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The Dagger is probably the worst culprit for uglier iterations.