Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I have purchased, used and miss placed a clamp in less than 3 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

more falafel please posted:

I bought all the stuff (minus the sjoberg tail vise) to make the rob cosman workbench. Talk me out of it, and tell me what else I should do with a sheet of 1" MDF.

I'm also in the process of making the cosman workbench, though I could only find 3/4" MDF. Just glued on the last layer yesterday and laying out the vise and dogholes, etc today.

The Anarchist workbench probably is superior, but my skills are pretty poo poo and this will be good enough for a while.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

I looked at the Cosman bench recently, but I couldn’t get past the fact that he appears to be attaching the vise with just carriage bolts directly into MDF. I’m surprised that could he strong enough. I’d be worried about ripping the thing off.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i was just happily flattening a glued up panel when i noticed (via a sharp pain) that i wore a blister in my dominant palm and welp i guess projects are on hold until that heals :saddowns:

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

good jovi posted:

I looked at the Cosman bench recently, but I couldn’t get past the fact that he appears to be attaching the vise with just carriage bolts directly into MDF. I’m surprised that could he strong enough. I’d be worried about ripping the thing off.

I bought a significantly cheaper vise that uses even fewer screws into the MDF. I'll let you know if I ever tear it off!

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Built the Cosman bench last year, no regrets. It's pretty dang heavy all assembled, and with lumber prices being what they are right now probably the most economical bench you can make.

Okay one regret, it's hard to retrofit a tail vise with the way I mounted the top.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
A Nicholson/English joiner's style bench is a solid choice that's more economical with the amount of wood that's required and seriously worth considering if your still on the fence. Chris Schwarz's Workbenches book has two good designs, one of them a knockdown version that can be disassembled in case that's ever required, though I don't know if you can still get it. Paul Sellers has a series building a bench in this style on his Youtube-channel if that's more your speed (skip the tool tray though, and make the top completely solid, and also don't be afraid to lower it as his design can be awkwardly high).

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Just Winging It posted:

A Nicholson/English joiner's style bench is a solid choice that's more economical with the amount of wood that's required and seriously worth considering if your still on the fence. Chris Schwarz's Workbenches book has two good designs, one of them a knockdown version that can be disassembled in case that's ever required, though I don't know if you can still get it. Paul Sellers has a series building a bench in this style on his Youtube-channel if that's more your speed (skip the tool tray though, and make the top completely solid, and also don't be afraid to lower it as his design can be awkwardly high).

Rex Krueger also has a joiners bench design (and associated videos).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Calidus posted:

Buy two more

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Calidus posted:

Well where was the last place you had it?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I found it clamped to the underside of my bench while cleaning up with the shop vac.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's just unused to your shop and is looking for somewhere secluded where it could feel safe.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Speaking of clamps, it's pretty rare for me to need a spreader but yesterday I did. None of my bar clamps are reversible and I briefly had the thought that I should be able to just screw off the end of one of my pipe clamps and reverse it but after looking at them for a minute I realized that the knob you use to tighten all of the ones I have wouldn't have the clearance to turn if it was attached backwards.

Poking around on the internet some of them have a knob that you can slide which should make it possible to use it as a spreader but none of them actually mention that as a feature which makes me wonder if I am missing something.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Yall ever be cleaning out your garage or whatever and find a power tool you didn't know you had but suddenly want to find a use for

edit: Oh nevermind it's apparently for drywall

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 21, 2021

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

signalnoise posted:

Yall ever be cleaning out your garage or whatever and find a power tool you didn't know you had but suddenly want to find a use for

Its a Dremel knock off (rotary tool) with a spiral cutter bit. You can use it for whatever you want and there are a ton of bits that will fit it.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Thats a purpose built drywall router / rotary saw, its much heavier and sturdier than a dremel.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

signalnoise posted:

I bought one of these in a pawn shop for $10 thinking it was a palm router. It was not :(

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Drywall is the most obvious application for those rotary cutters but I've used one to cut holes in all manner of other things. Plywood, thinner hardwood boards, large chunks of plastic, doors, etc. They don't work very well on plaster.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I think I found my next project.

https://twitter.com/paulabke/status/1385165573382938629?s=21

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_ECkRrphj8

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

This man made a jig for making dowels using worn jigsaw blades set tangentially to holes used for sizing and it is goddamn mesmerizing to me. Woodworking youtube is the best youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jG87WrArmE

If you watch the video and see he has a panel saw setup and want it for yourself, here's a bonus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa2I0vUCXsE

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 22, 2021

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
My first dovetail! (3 more to go)

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I have an old wooden bannister. Dull, some of the stain worn away in spots. Anything I can do to make it pop short of refinishing?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

just another posted:

I have an old wooden bannister. Dull, some of the stain worn away in spots. Anything I can do to make it pop short of refinishing?
It's basically a matter of how good is good enough? If you want perfection, then probably you'll need to strip it and start over.

Otherwise, you can probably spot stain the worn places. Use a small watercolor craft brush or a q-tip to apply it. Color matching the old stain will be difficult, but if the areas are small coming close will probably be good enough. Wood has natural color variations anyway, so they should blend in.

A spray-on version of whatever overcoat was used would help it blend in well. Some wood polish will brighten it all up, then.

A couple of furniture restoring channels that might provide some inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd8v3SbzGP9_wuSOr_xk_eA/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUHTuONqU81QTkWNnmuAoHw/videos

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

just another posted:

A finish restorer. They're usually thin oil finishes tinted to match (ish) different furniture colors; the oil "blends" by seeping under the old finish and diffusing. There's also Briwax, same concept but with wax.

Refinishing wasn't as "difficult" as I thought, it's just tedious getting the old stuff off. Worth consideration.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Thanks! I'll look into those.
I was also looking at this linseed oil wax: https://sagerestoration.com/collections/linseed-oil-wax

But this is all new to me. Maybe sanding it down isn't such a bad idea.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

That first tweet is attacking me

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

just another posted:

Thanks! I'll look into those.
I was also looking at this linseed oil wax: https://sagerestoration.com/collections/linseed-oil-wax

But this is all new to me. Maybe sanding it down isn't such a bad idea.

I wouldn't put something with oil (esp. linseed oil) over an existing finish. It'll get gummy and probably won't dry right. A plain or appropriately tinted past wax is probably the easiest can really work wonders. otherwise touch up the bare areas with some stain and clear coat over them (and then wax). If you have pictures we might be able to give more detail.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I'm still trying to get this stupid inherited Sargent bench plane into shape and it is not fun any more. At least the sole is flat. I spent literally 45 minutes on 120 grit sandpaper trying to get the bevel on the plane iron and it's still wavy. The chipbreaker makes contact with the plane iron in the middle and curves up to gaps of about .003" on either side. I ordered the ]Veritas grinder tool rest so I can regrind all of this instead of going through sheets of sandpaper. However, the matching sharpening jig is backordered until July. Would .47" rare earth magnets in the jig slot hold well enough to slide back and forth at a consistent angle do you think?

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

dupersaurus posted:

That first tweet is attacking me

Same here. There is something satisfying about making a tangible thing that writing code or queries doesn’t give.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I spend all week writing bad code so that I can spend my weekends making bad furniture very slowly,

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bloody posted:

I spend all week writing bad code so that I can spend my weekends making bad furniture very slowly,

Why not combine the two and make your own cnc?

Also the price of construction lumber is absolutely insane right now. OSB is double the price it was this time last year.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

serious gaylord posted:

Why not combine the two and make your own cnc?

Also the price of construction lumber is absolutely insane right now. OSB is double the price it was this time last year.

If you had loose morals, stocking up on OSB and PT decking would net you a hefty sum late summer when demand is going to be massively outstripping supply. I know a guy who is opting to put up one of those big steel arched implement buildings instead of a more conventional garage because they ended up being cheaper.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 25, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm pricing up my new workshop and it's getting close enough that brick is now an option.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm moving into a new place and want to put up some serious bookcases, probably baltic birch. Any forecasts for how that market might go? I could hold off, but not if prices will get worse in the next ~year

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm moving into a new place and want to put up some serious bookcases, probably baltic birch. Any forecasts for how that market might go? I could hold off, but not if prices will get worse in the next ~year

Theory is production and demand will stabilise later this year, so roughly January onwards prices will start coming down. They're *probably about as high as they will be now because as things open up more and people return to work there will be less call for lumber. However if Canada/Russia/China go into a big lockdown again production will stop.

They won't ever be as cheap as they were though, not without another massive financial crash decimating the housing market.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I chose a great time to take a summer off work and focus on woodwork and home reno, eh?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anne Whateley posted:

Baltic birch and hardwood plywood/lumber haven’t been as crazy as softwood stuff that gets used for building houses. That being said, prices there are definitely going up too, though not nearly as fast. I’d buy it sooner rather than later but it’s probably gonna be a $5-10/sheet difference at most if you wait. Prices on stuff like hardwood plywood have definitely gone up a lot more at the big box places than at specialty suppliers.

E:

serious gaylord posted:

Theory is production and demand will stabilise later this year, so roughly January onwards prices will start coming down. They're *probably about as high as they will be now because as things open up more and people return to work there will be less call for lumber. However if Canada/Russia/China go into a big lockdown again production will stop.

They won't ever be as cheap as they were though, not without another massive financial crash decimating the housing market.
I read a good article the other day that explained why lumber prices are EVEN HIGHER now than 6 months ago when we thought things had really topped out. Most retailers/wholesalers ran down their inventory 6 months ago instead of buying more lumber when prices were so high, hoping prices would come down. Well, they didn’t, and now everyone has no lumber in the warehouse and needs some yesterday AND prices hadn’t come down anyway, so all the sudden everyone is trying to rebuild their inventory all at once and it’s made funky prices even funkier. That’ll probably continue for a few more months.

This is where it’s starting to hit the hardwood market here too-hardwood lumber takes a good bit longer than softwood to produce and dry and so the mills don’t have a ton of extra space or capacity to keep up with everyone suddenly trying to fill their warehouse back up, even though end user demand hasn’t shot up as much as for softwoods.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 25, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

For a novice woodworker, what are good practices for getting useful wood at lower prices? I keep hesitating to buy materials because I feel like I'm going to waste money on wood I'm not prepared to use well, but at the same time, I have had bad experiences with construction lumber for practice stuff because it can be full of knots that my tools hate, and some lumber has a ridiculous grain that chips out in huge pieces when trying to use a chisel on it. I'd like to practice joinery and stuff but navigating the world of materials for decent prices is intimidating because I don't know how to evaluate wood well in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

signalnoise posted:

For a novice woodworker, what are good practices for getting useful wood at lower prices? I keep hesitating to buy materials because I feel like I'm going to waste money on wood I'm not prepared to use well, but at the same time, I have had bad experiences with construction lumber for practice stuff because it can be full of knots that my tools hate, and some lumber has a ridiculous grain that chips out in huge pieces when trying to use a chisel on it. I'd like to practice joinery and stuff but navigating the world of materials for decent prices is intimidating because I don't know how to evaluate wood well in the first place.
If you want hardwoods, buy from a place that mostly sells hardwood lumber, not a big box place. They mark up their hardwoods like crazy. Poplar and basswood are both super easy to work and are usually the cheapest hardwoods, but are both fairly soft. That means easy to work, but they can dent easily if you use them for furniture etc. Ash and beech are both nice harder hardwoods that are usually fairly cheap (ash especially rn). If you’re mostly working on smaller scale stuff, you can save a ton by buying lower grade #1 or #2 Common lumber instead of Higher grade Firsts & Seconds. It will have more defects, but they’re easy enough to work around and can have neat figure.

The two most common big box construction woods-Douglas fir and southern yellow pine- can be very frustrating to work with by hand. They have really hard growth things next to really soft growth rings and they both tend to crush instead of cut when you chisel then. Spruce/pine/fir or whitewood or hemlock have a more consistent grain and are a little easier to work by hand.