Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Welcome to the NTT IndyCar Series 2021 Thread! Same great taste, different thread ID!

Discord/IRC
Discord: https://discord.gg/kg3d2Uu
#ics on irc.synirc.net

The Road to Indy
IndyCar features the Road to Indy ladder system, which provides a defined path for up-and-coming open-wheel racers to reach the top. Several IndyCar teams run teams in the lower series as well. Many of these series race on the same weekend as IndyCar as support races.

- IndyCar Minor Leagues, many of the current IndyCar drivers are Indy Lights graduates.

- Bottom rung of the ladder, usually first step after pro-karting.

USAC Silver Crown / Midgets - While not officially part of the Road to Indy Ladder, many current and former open wheel drivers got their start in sprint cars. Support your local dirt track!!!

Twitter
who cares twitter is terrible but it's not hard to find drivers/teams

For money (full price is $55/year) you can pay for the NBC Sports Gold INDYCAR Pass. You get live streaming of all practice sessions and qualifying with no commercials. Races are on-demand only.

Road To Indy Viewing Options

IndyCar on Radio

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network is the radio home for IndyCar races throughout the season. Mark Jaynes is lead announcer. Races can also be heard on Sirius Channel 212 or XM 209.

Previous Threads
Indycar 2020: All hail our new Penske overlords
Indycar 2019: The Worstest Thread
IndyCar 2018: Get well soon, Wickens
IndyCar 2017: A bunch of different names
IndyCar 2016: A Series as Recognizable as its Champion
IndyCar 2015: It's in Jeopardy!
Indycar 2014: Formula Juan
Indiecar Series 2013: You Probably Haven't Heard of It
IndyCar Series 2012: NASCAR Refugees Welcome!
Indycar Series 2011: Dan Wheldon Appreciation Station
Izod Indycar Series 2010: Sato what happened? Sato!? SATOOOOOOOOO!
Indycar [2009] Month of May and Indy 500: Paul Tracy Revenge Edition
Indy Car 2008: Can hell freeze over twice?
Hell frozen over: Champ Car/IRL Unification [2007/8]
Indy Racing League [2007]: Yes it still exists!
Champ Car 2006 Season Thread
2005 Champ Car Season Thread

Thread Rules
No F1Chat but otherwise be excellent to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Everyone who bothers to post in these threads (probably) already knows this, but season opener at Barber in 1 hour.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
My boy Kirkwood not having a great start to the Lights season, I hope he turns it around fast. Looking forward to this season in Indycar, lots of great drivers and teams showing promise. O'Ward's pole position made me happy. Jimmy being last in everything is lol as well.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
End of lights race 2 was chaotic, dang

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

A lot of the daily chatter is in the Discord, especially during race weekends. Come chat with da boyz+galz.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

End of lights race 2 was chaotic, dang

All I had to do was post about Kirkwood and he gained 4 positions. Lots of tire wear right there at the finish.

I'm somewhat disappointed that PT is still on the broadcast team. Seriously, gently caress that fuckin guy. Hinch should accept his fate, retire from racing, and replace him.

Reynold fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 18, 2021

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

lmaooooo

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
With all the money Carvana is spending on ads today I don’t think they expected Jimmie Johnson to spend most of the race as a lapped car.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

GutBomb posted:

With all the money Carvana is spending on ads today I don’t think they expected Jimmie Johnson to spend most of the race as a lapped car.

I was thinking the same thing, like lmao Jimmy totally cashed in this year and is gonna go out making bank with his "This is my dream" shtick and the sponsors that flocked to it, funding an opportunity to run in the series he admired as a kid like a victory lap on his career. While it would be cool to see some spirited races and podiums, I don't expect to see that out of Jimmy Johnson.

I was actually impressed with Ericsson today, and Bourdais. It was a solid top 5 there at the end, what with the chaos of that big crash taking some expected contenders out, and the strategy mix.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I'm a bit confused as to why some seem so shocked by how well Grosjean and especially Palou did.

Grosjean has 10 F1 podiums and is a GP2 champion, Palou nearly won the Super Formula championship as a rookie. That series is very, very tough for drivers not immersed in the Japanese ladder system.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

devmd01 posted:

Welcome to the NTT IndyCar Series 2021 Thread! Same great taste, different thread ID!

For money (full price is $55/year) you can pay for the NBC Sports Gold INDYCAR Pass. You get live streaming of all practice sessions and qualifying with no commercials. Races are on-demand only.

Peacock! https://www.peacocktv.com/sports/indycar

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

good race!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I still remember everyone insisting Barber was going to be boring when it got added, but I'm pretty sure the worst race there has still been drat decent. This one was solid aside from (perhaps because of) the clownshoes start.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Good race, a shameful OP

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Basticle posted:

Good race, a shameful OP

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sounds like a good race, and Palou with Ganassi hardware really looks like a force to be reckoned with.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
https://racer.com/2021/04/19/aeroscreen-likely-saved-my-life-hunter-reay/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN2mRR_HOJQ/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_mid=A9A2A4F3-0701-4886-B47B-C297DB5912B6

Aeroscreens need to be on every open wheel cockpit like yesterday.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I know the F1 and F2 halo have stopped tires as well, not sure if this would have been different with 'just' a halo but yeah

devmd01 posted:

Aeroscreens need to be on every open wheel cockpit like yesterday.

open-wheel racers need that kind of protection, full stop.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I'm a bigger fan of the halo than the screen, personally, though I admit that smaller objects potentially impacting the driver is a possibility. In RHR's case, I think the tire would've been deflected just fine by a halo, but depending upon the angle, the front wing end plate would've been my concern there. Either was, I'm glad nobody was hurt. It seems like RHR has been inches from death quite a few times over the last couple of years. Wickens' car breaking the roll hoop in half comes to mind.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

open-wheel racers need that kind of protection, full stop.

Agreed. The bigger takeaway to me on this wreck is that the speed where this happened is not out of reach for most open-wheel series. This wasn't a wreck that happened at 220MPH into T1 at Indy. A lower end series wouldn't be going that fast after that corner but they could easily hit speeds like that somewhere else along the straight.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

An article from today on The Race:

• Indianapolis 500 planning to run 40% capacity on race day, which means 135,000 fans in the venue. This is approved by the county and state.
  • Masks and distancing will be required
  • About 90% of IndyCar team personnel had been vaccinated prior to the Barber round, which is a pretty good number!

Sounds like other days during the Month of May still have tickets available too.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There are vroom vrooms tomorrow.

http://www.gpstpete.com/festival/schedule

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Practice 1 on Peacock in 5min!

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
So I’ve never followed indycar before but I decided to check it out this weekend since it’s a street circuit and not an oval. I went to check my channel guide to see when the events are happening and saw practice this morning (in just a few minutes even) and then a race tomorrow. Are they only showing qualifying on peacock or is the final practice also qualifying?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

V for Vegans posted:

So I’ve never followed indycar before but I decided to check it out this weekend since it’s a street circuit and not an oval. I went to check my channel guide to see when the events are happening and saw practice this morning (in just a few minutes even) and then a race tomorrow. Are they only showing qualifying on peacock or is the final practice also qualifying?

Qualifying is separate, and it's Peacock only as far as I can see. You get Indy Lights as well on there. I think it's worth the cost of admission, qualifications can be a lot of fun to watch.

USF-2000 Race 1 was a fuckin brawl just now, was there like 10 wrecked cars and 5 yellow flags?

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Reynold posted:

Qualifying is separate, and it's Peacock only as far as I can see. You get Indy Lights as well on there. I think it's worth the cost of admission, qualifications can be a lot of fun to watch.

USF-2000 Race 1 was a fuckin brawl just now, was there like 10 wrecked cars and 5 yellow flags?

I think we have peacock so I might have to check out Indy lights. There’s a kid in there who was on a go karting version of dance moms and it’s funny to see him still racing.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

V for Vegans posted:

FYI, most indycar races are on street/road courses

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

The ovals are limited to Texas (double header), Gateway, and Indy this year, even. Only 4 of the 17 races will be ovals. I still miss Pocono, but without some new safety measures it seems like a deathtrap for Indycar. Richmond would have been cool, too, but COVID killed that one before we even got a chance. And Iowa, while I'm at it, was a cool track that I guess is shut down pending finding a buyer for the place. Past that, I'm not interested in Indycar on ovals that aren't unique in some way. Phoenix was trash and I'm glad to see it gone. Watching NASCAR run 400 mile races on tracks that aren't distinct from one another in any major way bores the hell out of me, and I'd hate to see that in this series as well.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQp6sCjFy-s

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Kentucky could be good, and then there's the ever present Michigan that will never happen again. Definitely sad we never got to see Richmond though, my dad and I were gonna go see that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Kentucky could be good, and then there's the ever present Michigan that will never happen again. Definitely sad we never got to see Richmond though, my dad and I were gonna go see that.

I went to the very first race they had at RIR and it ruled.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Very hot take from me.

Most ovals lost their appeal when they stopped the cars being able to pack race.

For very good reasons, but I still miss watching it.

That race from a few years ago, where they somehow stuffed up the aero or something and the race turned into a pack race was crazy suspenseful. All the teams/drivers were pissed but it certainly made for one hell of a spectacle.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Custard Undies posted:

Very hot take from me.

Most ovals lost their appeal when they stopped the cars being able to pack race.

That race from a few years ago, where they somehow stuffed up the aero or something and the race turned into a pack race was crazy suspenseful. All the teams/drivers were pissed but it certainly made for one hell of a spectacle.

nah, pack racing is bad because the race doesnt actually evolve at all. Lap 1 is no different than lap 200, its just there for crashes. Oval racing stopped being exciting when development stopped.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

run close and have good races (and kill people) or can't pass and have lovely races (and kill slightly fewer people)

the indycar oval conundrum

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Ovals, especially short ovals, started to suck when the speed differentials of the cars closed up.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Custard Undies posted:

Very hot take from me.

I watched some of the IRL. The pack racing sucked rear end.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frond posted:

Ovals, especially short ovals, started to suck when the speed differentials of the cars closed up.

I don't know how you would create more speed differential at this point though, short of perhaps trying to make the cars impossible to drive and relying on skill to separate cars.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
CART tried to do that by running speedway wings on short ovals and it created extremely difficult to drive cars and horrendous racing. Mario Andretti said ~1988-1989 that the cars were getting too fast to be put on short ovals.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Frond posted:

I watched some of the IRL. The pack racing sucked rear end.

I mean the last oval race that they even bother showing clips of was this one:

https://twitter.com/GrahamRahal/status/1386814754635849728

They gotta get the cars closer if they want anyone to care about oval racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

bring back the handford device