Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Do you actually get to pick the 10 channels or is it a semi package deal?

You can pick 10 individual channels from a list of available channels, it's as close to a la carte as you can get. Locals come included and don't count against the pick 10.

For instance my selection is Cartoon Network, CNN, Disney XD, ESPN, Food Network, HGTV, MSNBC, NBC Sports (thought they would have the Olympics), NFL Network and Nickelodeon. Cost is $25/mo plus taxes and surcharges which push that up to $35. This covers whatever live streaming for the kids and the mother in law and also gets the app logins.

One thing to remember is it's still considered a "traditional cable" package you build, just streaming. That's good because things like app logins work flawlessly but then dumb poo poo like "please wait 48 hours after ordering for your package to be available" still exit.

Spectrum doesn't list what channels you can pick from but this website seemed pretty accurate
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/spe...u-need-to-know/

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

You can pick 10 individual channels from a list of available channels, it's as close to a la carte as you can get. Locals come included and don't count against the pick 10.

For instance my selection is Cartoon Network, CNN, Disney XD, ESPN, Food Network, HGTV, MSNBC, NBC Sports (thought they would have the Olympics), NFL Network and Nickelodeon. Cost is $25/mo plus taxes and surcharges which push that up to $35. This covers whatever live streaming for the kids and the mother in law and also gets the app logins.

One thing to remember is it's still considered a "traditional cable" package you build, just streaming. That's good because things like app logins work flawlessly but then dumb poo poo like "please wait 48 hours after ordering for your package to be available" still exit.

Spectrum doesn't list what channels you can pick from but this website seemed pretty accurate
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/spe...u-need-to-know/

Thank you so much for this! I really think I’m gonna switch from YouTube Tv to this because we really only watch 4 channels and it looks like all of them are covered under this plan.

Edit: I narrowed it down to the 10 my S/O wants
* A&E
* Animal Planet
* BBC America
* Bravo
* Discovery Channel
* E!
* Food Network
* Lifetime
* TLC
* WE TV

Much better deal overall.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 25, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So FWIW the 24.99 deal from spectrum is actually 34

I’m not really sure it’s all that worth it since for $30 more you get YTTV and a lot more options.

Also once that drop that $10 discount it sure as hell won’t be worth it.

I’m gonna have to chew on this for a bit I think before I completely drop YTTV.

Edit: lol went to the next screen and it added on $2 in taxes and fees taking it to $36 a month.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah, because it's from a cable company they still treat it as a traditional cable package with all the bullshit fees it entails. It also triggered a modem upgrade for me for some reason.

Plan works for me because I literally only need 3-4 channels and the cheapest I could do before was a Sling Blue+Orange which was $45 anyways. I don't use DVR or any other features, I just want 3 cable channels plus locals into my house dammit.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Edit; nvm

jabro fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 26, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

TMobile customers can get $10 off YT starting April 6th
https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrier/turns-out-tv-is-better-with-friends

quote:

That means T-Mobile customers get exclusive access to the best pricing on the highest-rated streaming service, YouTube TV, starting at just $54.99 per month. And, access to streaming TV through Philo starting at just $10 per month for a limited time.

Looks like I'll be leaving Hulu

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dont forget you can share YTTV with 3 other people. You just have to set up a family group.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Awesome. I'm already a T-Mobile and YoutubeTV customer, so, bam, $10 off.

This lines up well with the fact that even single lines get discounted Netflix now. So, T-Mobile is like saving me $18 /month without changing anything else.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

TMobile customers can get $10 off YT starting April 6th
https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrier/turns-out-tv-is-better-with-friends

Looks like I'll be leaving Hulu

This is because they shut down their Tvision service. They just spent millions on a Superbowl ad 2 months ago!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

FCKGW posted:

This is because they shut down their Tvision service. They just spent millions on a Superbowl ad 2 months ago!

Bold as gently caress of them to not get caught in the sunk cost fallacy and not only move the gently caress on but offer a discount on actual good service as well even though no one would care if they didn’t

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

FCKGW posted:

I'm still amazed that T-Mobile bought Layer3, which honestly was a very interesting cable TV company and not only did they murder everything interesting about the service, they killed the whole drat thing in a matter of months.

I almost signed up for Layer3 a few times. It probably came just a little too late with the proliferation of dirt cheap Android based boxes, but it was a cool product.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

At this point I've come to realize that many networks just have poo poo quality feeds and no matter how good the quality of the provider, you aren't getting good image quality out of linear tv.

Turner is the best. TNT, TBS, and Cartoon network have linear streams nearly as good as OnDemand streams. They also have the least offensive network bugs.

BBC America is bottom poo poo tier. Not only is their encode atrocious, they gently caress with the sound mix to make it nearly unusable if you have a surround system. Their logo is also too opaque and they like to cram promos into it.

Syfy has improved in quality which is nice and their OnDemand streams are actually really decent. Their logo is too opaque as well though.

Quality and poo poo like lots of on screen clutter is something else that drives me to other streaming services nearly as much as commercials do.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Luckily live TV isn’t worth bothering with these days, so waiting for the Amazon versions works fine for me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

OTA antenna is still the best quality I've found, especially for things like football that get compressed to poo poo.

ATSC 3.0 is supposed to push that out to 4k resolution as well.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

bull3964 posted:

At this point I've come to realize that many networks just have poo poo quality feeds and no matter how good the quality of the provider, you aren't getting good image quality out of linear tv.

Turner is the best. TNT, TBS, and Cartoon network have linear streams nearly as good as OnDemand streams. They also have the least offensive network bugs.

BBC America is bottom poo poo tier. Not only is their encode atrocious, they gently caress with the sound mix to make it nearly unusable if you have a surround system. Their logo is also too opaque and they like to cram promos into it.

Syfy has improved in quality which is nice and their OnDemand streams are actually really decent. Their logo is too opaque as well though.

Quality and poo poo like lots of on screen clutter is something else that drives me to other streaming services nearly as much as commercials do.
Yeah I only upgraded to a 4K tv this past year, and i was immediately struck by how poor the quality of YouTube TV's linear streams were. Meanwhile an on-demand 1080p program (also using YTTV) looked great. It defintely made my move to Philo to save a few bucks more palateable, since I realized linear content would look bad no matter how good the service was.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Believe it or not, FiOS looks worse than YouTubeTV live streams.

My OTA isn't any better than the streams. There are too many sub channels.

I wouldn't hold your breath over 4k OTA.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Linear networks haven't been pressed to do anything more past 720p/1080i so yeah, doubt OTA 4k will do much.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I could see 4K OTA happening maybe in the next decade - being able to shift from MPEG2 to HEVC via ATSC 3.0 makes a huuuge difference in terms of the bitrates necessary to do things. It's not hard to imagine CBS or NBC saying "we're doing football in 4K!" and the locals shifting their news broadcasts over to it since they'll eventually have the equipment for it anyway.

I wouldn't say they'll "probably" do it but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. I'm curious to mess with ATSC 3.0 since they're doing broadcasts in my area now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, one of the big issues is hardware on the client end. Getting someone to buy a box JUST to tune into ATSC 3.0 is a big ask. This is especially true when they can put that same football game up online in 4k HDR and people need only use their existing devices to access it.

I think ATSC 3.0 has come too late to outrun streaming. Not that it could have realistically come earlier, but with everyone consolidating around their own streaming platforms, it's not going to be long before OTA starts being marginalized.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Yeah, client side is a big thing. At least this time around people are used to buying little set top boxes with hardware support for the video codec in question. Back in the 00s the analog-out Rokus and such people were buying were no help with the digital switch since they didn't bother with MPEG2.

Part of ATSC's attraction for stations is supposed to be the ability to sell subscription content on subchannels - the hypothetical I hear thrown around is giving ABC affiliates the ability to sell ESPN as a subchannel. Stuff like that. With that in mind, it's not too crazy to think some future generation of smart TVs and streamer boxes might have an antenna port on the back.

It would still be a long haul of old OTA and new OTA running in parallel, but if it caught on I don't think it would be quite the arduous process that shifting from analog to digital OTA was.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What I want to know is why the hardware is so expensive right now. From a raw processing and codec perspective, these are solved problems that run on SoCs that you could buy with change in your pocket. So, it has to be because there are so few players in the market.

Everyone will eventually get an ATSC 3.0 tuner as they cycle out TVs (probably, TVs without OTA are a thing). I just don't see a reason why any of the established players would add antenna input on to their current products when providing OTA content competes with the streaming subs they provide access to (and often get a sub cut.)

The ESPN sub reselling is an interesting use case, but the path to that is so much more difficult than getting a Disney+/Hulu/ESPN bundle to watch on their existing Roku that I don't know how many people are going to do that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheScott2K posted:

It's not hard to imagine CBS or NBC saying "we're doing football in 4K!" and the locals shifting their news broadcasts over to it since they'll eventually have the equipment for it anyway.

Football is a tricky example as the current 4K broadcasts online are upscaled, as the current setup requires the use of 4K cams in order to output at 1080. To do it for real means another huge backend upgrade that they’re probably not going to go for.

A solid 1080 picture in a modern codec with decent bandwidth is all that’s really needed to give a clear advantage over current cable, though.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Y'all want to see some rough "HDTV" head over to my inlaws' house and watch some Dish Network on their 65-inch TV. Woof.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

Y'all want to see some rough "HDTV" head over to my inlaws' house and watch some Dish Network on their 65-inch TV. Woof.

Don't the satellite providers resize everything to like 1440x1080? I thought I remember hearing that Dish did that for HD content to save bandwidth...

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

stevewm posted:

Don't the satellite providers resize everything to like 1440x1080? I thought I remember hearing that Dish did that for HD content to save bandwidth...

It's not just resolution, they cut bitrates to the bone. Our local NBC affiliate looks sub-DVD quality at their house.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Well, I made it through my two free trial weeks with YouTube TV, and we decided to keep it and cancel Spectrum cable for good.

When I called Spectrum to confirm my cancellation, of course the rep tried to retain me by throwing all these other plans and offers at me. Some of them were a good deal cheaper than our new YoutTube TV service, but he was really vague about exactly which channels were included in which packages -- "Choice," "Essentials," etc. I told him I would have been willing to move to a different package, but the Spectrum website doesn't do a good job listing all the options, what each one includes, and how much each one costs. So he tried to walk me through a GOOGLE SEARCH over the phone, and was directing me to random third-party websites that listed the channels in these different Spectrum plans, some of which posted the information back in 2020 or even 2019. That seemed weird and shady too.

I told him I was just going to cancel, that as usual with Spectrum, everything was becoming more complicated than it had to be. So now I still have Internet and phone through Spectrum (they're pretty much the only game in town for Internet), plus YouTube TV, Netflix (which seems to be getting worse and worse, content-wise), Amazon Prime, Hulu, Peacock (free), Tubi (free), Kanopy (free), and Disney+ (for just a month so we could binge WandaVision, which wasn't even that great, and so I could keep up with Falcon and Winter Soldier).

I just turned in our old cable box and remote at a UPS Store, I got a receipt, and it felt good.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

bull3964 posted:

Awesome. I'm already a T-Mobile and YoutubeTV customer, so, bam, $10 off.

This lines up well with the fact that even single lines get discounted Netflix now. So, T-Mobile is like saving me $18 /month without changing anything else.

According to the promotion page, you need to cancel your YouTube TV subscription and reactivate. Has anyone done this? Am I going to lose settings/DVR content or will they be saved?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GoatSeeGuy posted:

According to the promotion page, you need to cancel your YouTube TV subscription and reactivate. Has anyone done this? Am I going to lose settings/DVR content or will they be saved?

I've done it many moons ago before they had pausing and your stuff sticks around.

Officially, DVR recordings will only persist for 21 days, but people have seen longer. At any rate, you should be able to cancel and then re-up for these purposes without issue.

I'm just annoyed because my billing cycle was on the 4th so I cancelled then thinking "eh, one and a half days.". Unfortunately, it's going to take 3-4 days to process the discount code, so I need to wait longer.

Again, not a huge deal because not much is airing right now, just realizing how much I rely on it for background noise.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

Officially, DVR recordings will only persist for 21 days, but people have seen longer.

Oof, that's a lol. I have things on my DVR from years ago.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Man, Paramount really wants you to get Paramount+. I launched PlutoTV today and it started with a skippable 30 ad with the option to view the Paramount+ Picks channel. Now at the end of every program I watch, it shrinks the feed into a PiP and asks me if I want to check out Paramount+ Picks. No, I don't.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

GI_Clutch posted:

Man, Paramount really wants you to get Paramount+. I launched PlutoTV today and it started with a skippable 30 ad with the option to view the Paramount+ Picks channel. Now at the end of every program I watch, it shrinks the feed into a PiP and asks me if I want to check out Paramount+ Picks. No, I don't.

It's extremely funny to me that their biggest streaming success, by far, is this ad-supported garbage plate of content that was just sitting on a shelf somewhere. If they were smart they'd have branded P+ as Plutonium and just built it into the PlutoTV app as an upgrade.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

It's extremely funny to me that their biggest streaming success, by far, is this ad-supported garbage plate of content that was just sitting on a shelf somewhere. If they were smart they'd have branded P+ as Plutonium and just built it into the PlutoTV app as an upgrade.

ViacomCBS didn't buy Pluto until it was a pretty big success already in 2019, re-branding would have likely killed it.

I am surprised they don't offer a paid tier of Pluto and include CBS All Access and Paramount+ in it.

EDIT: looks like they have something in the works like that. Also, using Pluto to upsell the paid products.

quote:

On February 20, 2020, ViacomCBS estimated that Pluto TV generated a monthly average of 22 million viewers in the fourth quarter of 2019, with expectations of its user base reaching 30 million monthly viewers by December 2020. The company also announced that Pluto content would be incorporated into a revamped version of CBS All Access, which would also add content from ViacomCBS Domestic Media Networks cable properties, Paramount Pictures and CBS Television Distribution. ViacomCBS CEO Bob Bakish stated that Pluto TV—which will remain a free, standalone offering—would be part of the company's refocusing on three core streaming services, alongside the subscription-based CBS All Access and Showtime's OTT service, which would act as its mid-level and premium offerings and which Pluto will also be used to upsell along with ViacomCBS's other niche streaming platforms.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto_TV#Purchase_by_Viacom;_ViacomCBS_ownership_(2019%96present)

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 7, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Those are old articles from before Paramount Plus was announced. I mean, I'm sure they have thought about a paid version of Pluto and I have no doubt we'll see that eventually but for now it seems they're ok with leaving it as is.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
My parents are temporarily relocating to a condo for six months while their house is being renovated. They have cable (Spectrum) at their house and are trying to save money by not getting cable at the condo, but there are some shows they want to watch that are on cable. It looks like there's a Spectrum app for live TV but it's not available on the TV they'll be getting (a TCL roku TV). Any suggestions how they can access their shows at the condo? The only idea I've come up with is to get the Spectrum app on their laptop and connect the laptop to the TV, but they are elderly and might not be able to make that work. Thank you.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
why not get them a used FireTV 4k from Ebay for like $45 and install the Spectrum app?

....that reminds me that i need to dig mine out of whatever box it's sitting in and drag it to a hotel room for a few days this week and then a road trip next week.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 18, 2021

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mouse Cadet posted:

My parents are temporarily relocating to a condo for six months while their house is being renovated. They have cable (Spectrum) at their house and are trying to save money by not getting cable at the condo, but there are some shows they want to watch that are on cable. It looks like there's a Spectrum app for live TV but it's not available on the TV they'll be getting (a TCL roku TV). Any suggestions how they can access their shows at the condo? The only idea I've come up with is to get the Spectrum app on their laptop and connect the laptop to the TV, but they are elderly and might not be able to make that work. Thank you.

I had a similar issue with trying to help my folks out with the Spectrum App. They already had a nice TV, so we ended up getting an Apple TV device. The app worked fine on it but the remote control for the apple TV is dogshit so they haven't been using it too much.

I like the idea of a FireTV, or maybe check out a fire stick.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mouse Cadet posted:

I know I recommended the TCL in the other thread, but given this particular circumstance, and that elderly parents are less likely to give a poo poo about picture quality, it might be worth looking at the 55" Toshiba Fire tv since the app is still available for that.

Or can they just pause their spectrum billing and use YouTube TV on the Roku?

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain

BonoMan posted:

I know I recommended the TCL in the other thread, but given this particular circumstance, and that elderly parents are less likely to give a poo poo about picture quality, it might be worth looking at the 55" Toshiba Fire tv since the app is still available for that.

Or can they just pause their spectrum billing and use YouTube TV on the Roku?

If this is the TV you mean, it looks like in the Q&A people are asking about the Spectrum app and it's not available. So I think that option is out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CVQLRP4/ref=twister_B07K2HGPL4

It also looks like the Spectrum App doesn't work with the Fire cube or stick.

They will be at their home a bit when the noise isn't too bad so pausing cable they don't want to pause cable there.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Spectrum and Roku are deadlocked over fees which is why Roku yanked the Spectrum app from the Roku store

Occasionally the Roku will pop up a message saying “reminder: don’t delete your Spectrum app because you won’t be able to reinstall it” message

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
I believe the Spectrum app is still available on the Samsung TVs like this one https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-7-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-tizen-tv/6401735.p?skuId=6401735

That may be my best (and only) option.