Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I never thought much of Hannibal either. I'd I want to watch Mads Mikkelsen being awesome I queue up Valhalla Rising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

I assume this is especially true with some of those later books where basically nothing happens.

This is book 10. It’s book 11 on that gets very good again, and the last two are up there in quality of the first 5.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

The first episode of the Hannibal TV show is basically a very good crime movie so I'd check it out. The killer of the week stuff after it isn't as amazing, but late season 1/ season 2 is great.

Also the red dragon adaptation is awesome

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone watching Invincible on Amazon?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MiddleOne posted:

Anyone watching Invincible on Amazon?

Yes

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha dammit, I did search the first page without seeing the thread in my defense.

Thanks!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Tosk posted:

I also really liked Six Feet Under recently. I'm trying to think if I've seen other series worth mentioning to give an idea of what I have and haven't seen...

I did see TD season 1 and the first two seasons of Hannibal, then I never touched them again. I enjoyed the ancient BBC adaptation of I, Claudius.

My "to watch" list at the moment is Deadwood, The Sopranos, Farscape (need my janky scifi) and Homicide: Life on the Streets.

I've found a lot of gems on this forum before so I'll be sure to at least watch a few episodes of all suggestions! Thanks, tv gurus.

Also, any recommendations on review series to go with the viewing are welcome. It is enhancing my viewing so much with The Wire.

Have you seen Spartacus? Spartacus rules. Just be warned that the first episode SUCKS, and the next two aren't great. But from ep 4 to the very end it's just great drama.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kazzah posted:

Have you seen Spartacus? Spartacus rules. Just be warned that the first episode SUCKS, and the next two aren't great. But from ep 4 to the very end it's just great drama.

Just skip the first episode entirely tbh. It's all neatly summed up in the first 15 minutes of episode 2 anyway when the actual plot starts.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I dunno. I've never really had much of a problem with the early episodes. They're not as intense as later ones, but I think a big part of that is context.

I think there's a lot of pleasure to be had from watching a show work out how to be good, too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tosk posted:

I'm rewatching The Wire and I'm worried about the gaping hole it will leave in me once I'm done (I'm also following Jerusalem's recaps from way back in 2013 after every episode).

I've never been a great consumer of television. Babylon 5 holds a special place in my heart, I've seen Breaking Bad, and I watched a few seasons of The Sopranos back in the day and it's on my "to watch" list. I really enjoyed The Americans.

What kinds of obvious picks am I missing as far as GOAT teledramas?

You’re already planning on watching Deadwood and rewatching/finishing The Sopranos which are the two best things you could be doing for this imo. I’d also add Mad Men and The Leftovers. Plus Jerusalem did Sopranos recaps and is working his way through Mad Men now!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

You’re already planning on watching Deadwood and rewatching/finishing The Sopranos which are the two best things you could be doing for this imo. I’d also add Mad Men and The Leftovers. Plus Jerusalem did Sopranos recaps and is working his way through Mad Men now!

I'm still reluctant to put The Leftovers in the same categories as the others, but The Americans, Rectify and later Halt and Catch Fire might be good additional choices.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Tosk posted:

I'm rewatching The Wire and I'm worried about the gaping hole it will leave in me once I'm done (I'm also following Jerusalem's recaps from way back in 2013 after every episode).

I've never been a great consumer of television. Babylon 5 holds a special place in my heart, I've seen Breaking Bad, and I watched a few seasons of The Sopranos back in the day and it's on my "to watch" list. I really enjoyed The Americans.

What kinds of obvious picks am I missing as far as GOAT teledramas?

If you want a little bit more of the same, Generation Kill is a good choice - only 7 episode though...

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You know what show is good, The fuckin' Knick. I recently started it and it's just some next level poo poo, obvious content warning if you don't like a lot of very explicit surgery but man this show has given me Deadwood vibes in the way that like no other show since then has.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Now I want Steven Soderbergh's Deadwood

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Rome is the best thing to ever come out from HBO, amazing show.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Oasx posted:

Rome is the best thing to ever come out from HBO, amazing show.

I really wish they had gotten a proper 2nd season.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Hakkesshu posted:

You know what show is good, The fuckin' Knick. I recently started it and it's just some next level poo poo, obvious content warning if you don't like a lot of very explicit surgery but man this show has given me Deadwood vibes in the way that like no other show since then has.

Yup, I binged the whole thing a few weeks ago. Insanely good stuff.

Edit: you can look away during the surgery bits and not really miss anything

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did Knick s1 the other week, still need to get to 2. It’s a great show. That final shot of s1 did make me laugh so much though

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Simone Magus posted:

Edit: you can look away during the surgery bits and not really miss anything

This is good to hear, I’ve been wanting to watch The Knick for awhile but sometimes poo poo like that gets too much for me.

Also I’ve been meaning to start Avenue 5 for the longest time and am just never in the mood to watch it for some reason even though I really want to. Does anyone else get this? Maybe I just have to make myself watch the first episode and then I’ll get into it :shepface:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

HOLY gently caress posted:

Does anyone else get this?

Only every time I'm trying to decide what to watch.

I'd highly recommend just tossing it on, though. It will feel somewhat cathartic after this past year of absolute loving lunacy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Definitely agree with the Mad Men, Rome, and Halt and Catch Fire recommendations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chairman Capone posted:

Definitely agree with the Mad Men, Rome, and Halt and Catch Fire recommendations.

Especially because Mad Men is free to stream on IMDb.tv, which is a free Amazon channel (you don't need to be subscribed to Prime to access it).

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The ending to Halt and Catch Fire was such BS.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remember it being pretty great?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah it's rad.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I always recommend Patriot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

H&CF does a lot of things that usually irritate me in a show, but I felt it managed to pull them off well. Gonna have to look up exactly how it ended on wiki because my mind is skipping a beat but it’s a show I really enjoyed. Lot of people didn’t care for s1, but I dug it a lot from word go.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

H&CF does a lot of things that usually irritate me in a show, but I felt it managed to pull them off well. Gonna have to look up exactly how it ended on wiki because my mind is skipping a beat but it’s a show I really enjoyed. Lot of people didn’t care for s1, but I dug it a lot from word go.

I think it took a few episodes to really "become" the show it was, because originally it was clearly meant to be "Mad Men but with the 1980s computer industry" and when they moved beyond that, by the halfway mark of season 1, it went from fine to great. And I think it's the rare show where each season just got better than before.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

GreenNight posted:

I always recommend Patriot.

:hfive:

There are dozens of us that have seen Patriot. Dozens!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tosk posted:

I also really liked Six Feet Under recently. I'm trying to think if I've seen other series worth mentioning to give an idea of what I have and haven't seen...

I did see TD season 1 and the first two seasons of Hannibal, then I never touched them again. I enjoyed the ancient BBC adaptation of I, Claudius.

My "to watch" list at the moment is Deadwood, The Sopranos, Farscape (need my janky scifi) and Homicide: Life on the Streets.

I've found a lot of gems on this forum before so I'll be sure to at least watch a few episodes of all suggestions! Thanks, tv gurus.

Also, any recommendations on review series to go with the viewing are welcome. It is enhancing my viewing so much with The Wire.

You sound like a person that'd enjoy Rome

E: i like to think I Claudius us an unofficial sequel, just 30 yrs too early

And Shakespeare Julius Caeser is a take from the same events but from diff eyes

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hughmoris posted:

:hfive:

There are dozens of us that have seen Patriot. Dozens!

Dozens more than Perpetual Grace, LTD, which I also enjoyed quite a bit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Steven Conrad makes some fuckin good TV. Really looking forward to the new stop-motion one

e: his upcoming show, Mega City Smiths, is an animated show that uses dolls in place of real people. This is not the first time Conrad has tried this.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 18, 2021

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I want to know how he keeps getting green lights to make weird rear end shows nobody watches.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Any given channel, or studio, or what have you knows the value of having a few out there choices for time to time. Sometimes they hit big, some times they bring home awards and prestige, and at the very least they signal to other artists "Hey, we might make your crazy poo poo".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mae posted:

The first episode of the Hannibal TV show is basically a very good crime movie so I'd check it out. The killer of the week stuff after it isn't as amazing, but late season 1/ season 2 is great.

Also the red dragon adaptation is awesome

I'm not going to fault anyone for enjoying Hannibal for what it is but it doesn't belong anywhere near a discussion of shows on the level of Breaking Bad and The Wire. You might as well recommend Dexter.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not going to fault anyone for enjoying Hannibal for what it is but it doesn't belong anywhere near a discussion of shows on the level of Breaking Bad and The Wire. You might as well recommend Dexter.

Harsh but fair.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Mulva posted:

Any given channel, or studio, or what have you knows the value of having a few out there choices for time to time. Sometimes they hit big, some times they bring home awards and prestige, and at the very least they signal to other artists "Hey, we might make your crazy poo poo".

Ah yes, the David Lynch Effect

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

Hannibal totally had the potential to get Dexter Bad if NBC didn’t put it down early. I think it could have run for one more decent season but if it was a long runner it would have absolutely gone loving nuts and turned into a complete soap opera.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/DaveSFoley/status/1383906583336218628
Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Also the reality is that while they are often incompetent, exploitative, downright moronic and evil....executives are in fact people too. Sometimes they just like someone or their work, and they use their position of power to get something made or keep something going that logically shouldn't. It's rare, but not that rare.