Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I have been working on trying to stop hitting off the toe with my driver and have progressed to being unable to hit anything with driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

I have been working on trying to stop hitting off the toe with my driver and have progressed to being unable to hit anything with driver.

Few things sum up golf as well as things like this

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Anybody here currently using one-length irons,or used them for a period of time (more than once)? Curious about your thoughts on them, I'm getting lured in again

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

shyduck posted:

Anybody here currently using one-length irons,or used them for a period of time (more than once)? Curious about your thoughts on them, I'm getting lured in again

My league partner gave up on them after a year. He lost too much accuracy with the shorter irons.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
When my current ball stock gets low, I want to play these just to trigger my opponents at leagues.

https://www.srixon.com/us/balls/gol...TRD20_color=red

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

daslog posted:

When my current ball stock gets low, I want to play these just to trigger my opponents at leagues.

I'd play these, in secret at first. Seems almost like a training aid. I'd like to see some more color combos.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

I would either absolutely love or absolutely hate how that looks when it's spinning or rolling and I can't tell which.

Definitely wanna tee that up for some goofy scramble event or something though. And yeah I'd love to see different color combinations

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

daslog posted:

Like you I got an email for these yesterday.

I just went :chloe: and deleted the email

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

Like you I got an email for these yesterday.

I just went :chloe: and deleted the email

I'm trying to find a way to erase that these even exist.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

They look like fishing bobs

Huskers
May 9, 2009
Ping used to have similar balls, but mostly as putting aids. Apparently some of the rare color combos are pretty valuable to collectors, who knew.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

So I borked the tendon in my left middle finger yesterday hitting a punch out that followed through onto a root. I initially thought I had sprained my wrist, but nope, just a dumb finger.

What a frustrating and stupid "injury", it doesn't effect anything other than swinging a golf club but it's wildly uncomfortable to do that.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

shyduck posted:

I game one length right now and absolutely love it. It's the main reason why I dropped my score from low 100's to high 80's over the last year and I continue to get better. You do need above average swing speed to use them well however, and I personally don't like one length wedges so you need to see what you do and don't want one length. But it's legit and not a gimmick, I don't see myself moving back to variable length any time soon.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Kirios posted:

I game one length right now and absolutely love it. It's the main reason why I dropped my score from low 100's to high 80's over the last year and I continue to get better. You do need above average swing speed to use them well however, and I personally don't like one length wedges so you need to see what you do and don't want one length. But it's legit and not a gimmick, I don't see myself moving back to variable length any time soon.
Thanks for the input. Swing speed shouldn't be an issue- I continuously have to fight hockey instincts of wanting to murder the ball. I just don't have the time to put in anymore between work and parenting, and if I can simplify things for the occasional round with my father in law, all the merrier.

How long did it take you to get comfortable with them, particularly the higher lofts (8/9)? Also what clubs are you playing?

daslog posted:

My league partner gave up on them after a year. He lost too much accuracy with the shorter irons.
Thanks- that does seem to be a big sticking point with some. Was it a distance issue?

shyduck fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 17, 2021

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I'm a bit surprised I've never seen a combo set with traditional lengths in wedges and short irons, but then has like 4i 5i 6i all built to single-length 7i specs.

Black Hole Bowser
Dec 31, 2007
plunderer of outer space
Okay, update from my earlier post about a beginner set in Canada. I’ve been checking Kijiji, FB Marketplace, Golf Avenue, my local Golf Town, etc. and it’s been a bit discouraging. I was talking to one of the employees at Golf Town and it sounds like between being in a small city and the popularity of golf during the pandemic, there aren’t a ton of used clubs available and anything decent is getting snapped up really quickly.

Someone I was talking to recommended that I check out Maltby clubs as an option that’s inexpensive but as good quality as the major manufacturers. I really like the look of their M890 iron set and it looks pretty comparable to the Callaway Edge set from Costco. The cost seems to be almost half of some of the Cobra and Taylormade clubs I was looking at last week.

Even though used clubs are a good option, at this point I kind of want something easy so I can stop stressing about it and stop obsessively checking for new posts of used equipment, even if it means spending a couple hundred bucks more.

Does anyone have experience with Maltby as a brand? Looking at their stuff on GolfWorks I was thinking it was too good to be true at that price point but almost all of the reviews I’ve seen have been very positive. Unfortunately there aren’t any fitters near me that use their stuff, so I’ll have to rely on advice from goons and Reddit.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

shyduck posted:

Thanks- that does seem to be a big sticking point with some. Was it a distance issue?

He's was looking for a way to his is longer irons better. The answer for him ended up being hybrids.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm going on a golf trip in a month and totally hosed up my calf in a soccer game today. I've pulled muscles before but this is first time I heard it happen. I'm not a happy guy atm.

I was actually looking around thinking I got hit by something that's how bad it felt.

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr

Black Hole Bowser posted:

Okay, update from my earlier post about a beginner set in Canada. I’ve been checking Kijiji, FB Marketplace, Golf Avenue, my local Golf Town, etc. and it’s been a bit discouraging. I was talking to one of the employees at Golf Town and it sounds like between being in a small city and the popularity of golf during the pandemic, there aren’t a ton of used clubs available and anything decent is getting snapped up really quickly.

Someone I was talking to recommended that I check out Maltby clubs as an option that’s inexpensive but as good quality as the major manufacturers. I really like the look of their M890 iron set and it looks pretty comparable to the Callaway Edge set from Costco. The cost seems to be almost half of some of the Cobra and Taylormade clubs I was looking at last week.

Even though used clubs are a good option, at this point I kind of want something easy so I can stop stressing about it and stop obsessively checking for new posts of used equipment, even if it means spending a couple hundred bucks more.

Does anyone have experience with Maltby as a brand? Looking at their stuff on GolfWorks I was thinking it was too good to be true at that price point but almost all of the reviews I’ve seen have been very positive. Unfortunately there aren’t any fitters near me that use their stuff, so I’ll have to rely on advice from goons and Reddit.

Sub 70 is another direct-to-consumer brand that's a big reddit darling. I don't know about shipping to Canada but comparable price and the 699 series is pretty slick

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Shrapnig posted:

I'm going on a golf trip in a month and totally hosed up my calf in a soccer game today. I've pulled muscles before but this is first time I heard it happen. I'm not a happy guy atm.

I was actually looking around thinking I got hit by something that's how bad it felt.

Hey you’re me! I probably posted about it a few years ago, but I badly pulled my hamstrings(both sides), first in a baseball game, and then in a soccer game. My god, felt like my frigging leg exploded.

It’s great now though, any time I make a sudden movement or push off of either leg they feel like they are going to go again.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Shrapnig posted:

When I snapped my Achilles’ tendon I had the exact same reaction. I thought a ball or something had come over from another game and hit me in the back of my ankle. I heard it too and it’s one of those things where the pain itself wasn’t too excruciating but you know you just did some serious damage and get sick to your stomach.

Black Hole Bowser
Dec 31, 2007
plunderer of outer space

Willzilla posted:

Sub 70 is another direct-to-consumer brand that's a big reddit darling. I don't know about shipping to Canada but comparable price and the 699 series is pretty slick

I’ve been looking at them as well, but after the exchange rate and shipping it seems like they’re quite a bit more expensive. I’ve reached out to their Canadian distributor to see what the best price is on those.

The Maltby stuff seems a bit more appealing because GolfWorks has a warehouse + retail store and clubmakers in Toronto so a lot of the cost from shipping/duty/exchange rate is lower.

I’ve been doing some reading on other direct-to-consumer brands and a lot of them (Haywood, PGX, Miura, Hogan) all seem like they’re significantly higher end than what I’m looking for, unfortunately.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I have a Sub 70 3 hybrid that I love so if anyone else is in the US and is on the fence, I'd highly recommend them. I'm going to demo their irons later this year as I'm going to buy a new set of irons next year. They'll just send you clubs to demo and then you send them back when you're done. They have great customer service.

In other news, I got married over the weekend. Here's our guestbook:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Congrats bud, big ups to Grandad.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Daric posted:

In other news, I got married over the weekend. Here's our guestbook:

Holy poo poo that's awesome

also congrats :toot:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Thanks y’all! It was a blast. Really glad Patrick Reed hates Harbor Town because that meant Kessler could come. He actually caught the garter. We had so much fun.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

shyduck posted:

I've been using last year's Cobra one-length irons (from their game-improvement family...changes names every year, it seems) for about six months, and I love them. Their biggest advantage for me, not surprisingly, has been much better contact with the long irons. I carry GW-4I in the one-length (no hybrids, all irons), though I did consider buying one-length in the 6, 5 & 4 and then standard length in GW-7I. I've never had trouble hitting short and medium irons, so I thought about only getting one-length help where I needed it. But I went with the full set. When it's time to replace these, I'll probably consider it again.

I haven't noticed a loss of accuracy in my short irons, but I wasn't exactly an assassin with my PW to begin with. Time may tell.

I also bought the one-length driving/utility iron, a half-inch longer than my other irons, and in graphite instead of steel. Terrible from the fairway, but when you tee it up (very short tee, like you're teeing off with any other iron) it hits like a dream. My proper swings with a driver traveled further, but poo poo those were rare. I hit the driving iron about 205 yards, and it's always in the fairway. My old driver is now collecting dust.

My realistic goal every round is bogey golf. Handicap is 16.5, I think, so I'm usually hitting in the low 90s. I'm an old with two arthritic shoulders, so my swing isn't going to get any faster...might as well be more accurate.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

My one length iron, despite looking like a child's club, is absolutely my favorite club in the bag. I use it for a million different shots. I strongly recommend it.

(My handicap is 13, for what its worth, so very mediocre).

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I broke my thumb last week and my friends had someone bail on their foursome so I filled in playing strictly one armed (I used my right arm as a righty).

I played surprisingly well! I couldn’t hit the ball more than 150-175 even with my 3 wood but I kept all my shots surprisingly straight. We played a 2v2 scramble and me and my partner won by 14 strokes :lol:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

RCarr posted:

I broke my thumb last week and my friends had someone bail on their foursome so I filled in playing strictly one armed (I used my right arm as a righty).

I played surprisingly well! I couldn’t hit the ball more than 150-175 even with my 3 wood but I kept all my shots surprisingly straight. We played a 2v2 scramble and me and my partner won by 14 strokes :lol:

What was it like playing old man golf

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RCarr posted:

lmao this fuckin rules

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea it was a lot of fun. I obviously had some flubs where I’d hit the ball off the toe or something but I landed one within 15 feet with my 3 wood from 170 or so, and hit a breaking ~30 foot birdie putt, among other things.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Apparently there's another version of the Kirkland Signature ball that released fairly recently, TXG did a review of it yesterday. It actually spun more than the ProV1 they were comparing it to. If you're somebody who could use a little more spin, or aren't consistent enough to really care about a few hundred RPM difference on your shots, these look to be easily the best deal around. $24.99 for 24 balls.

Edit- Actually, these maybe have been out for a while? I knew there was the original ball, then another version that was not as highly regarded, and this appears to be the third version (even though they call it 2.0) and it's been available for a few months.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Suprfli6 posted:

Apparently there's another version of the Kirkland Signature ball that released fairly recently, TXG did a review of it yesterday. It actually spun more than the ProV1 they were comparing it to. If you're somebody who could use a little more spin, or aren't consistent enough to really care about a few hundred RPM difference on your shots, these look to be easily the best deal around. $24.99 for 24 balls.

Edit- Actually, these maybe have been out for a while? I knew there was the original ball, then another version that was not as highly regarded, and this appears to be the third version (even though they call it 2.0) and it's been available for a few months.

The version before this one was way too fragile. I’ve got a very average swing speed and was still hacking off pieces of the cover. I’ll probably pick up a box of the new one next time my driver swing decides to abandon me for a week or two.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

The version before this one was way too fragile. I’ve got a very average swing speed and was still hacking off pieces of the cover. I’ll probably pick up a box of the new one next time my driver swing decides to abandon me for a week or two.

Yeah it also looked very cheap visually compared to the original one and this new one. I think some people had good results with it but I hated the appearance too much to order any. These new ones might be worth a shot though, especially when the greens at my course dry out this summer and more spin would help hold them.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So my wife has given her approval to convert half our garage into a golf simulator setup in 2022. The ceiling height is 8'9'' tall and I'm 5'11''. Is this enough space to swing driver? I already have a fairly shallow swing as it is so I think it's enough but I wanted to run it by you guys since I know a few of you already have a simulator.

Also, what are the things I need to buy and prepare for? I'm going to start hunting for deals now - my budget's ~5,000 dollars for this project.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Less than 9 feet isn’t going to work for driver unfortunately. You need at least another 6 inches. But all your irons and stuff should be fine.

At this point with that budget you need to decide whether you want to go the Mevo+ or Skytrak route. Both are going to run about $2k. The Mevo+ requires 8’ behind the ball and 8’ in front of it so you’d need 16’ in a straight line. The Skytrak only requires 8’ in front of the ball because it’s taking photos, not radar.

Then you need to decide on a projector/screen combo or a net/monitor.

After that there’s software. I have a Skytrak and it has a few different options for software. The Golf Club is the most expensive at $900 for a lifetime subscription and it requires a gaming PC to run but it has 150,000+ courses and the graphics are great.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Daric posted:

After that there’s software. I have a Skytrak and it has a few different options for software. The Golf Club is the most expensive at $900 for a lifetime subscription and it requires a gaming PC to run but it has 150,000+ courses and the graphics are great.

E6 is the go-to course simulation software. It's $2500 to start and then $300/$600 per year for the subscription, depending on whether you want to have access to some courses, or all ~100+ courses.

TGC is very cool, but it's much more video-gamey than E6.

Both Mevo+ and Skytrak will come with some basic software for just getting your swing data and having a driving range to practice on if that's all you care about though.

And Daric is right about the height requirements. I have 10' ceilings and I have a few inches at most of clearance with my driver. I'm a bit taller and the platform I use for my hitting mat is around 3" above the floor, so yeah, 9'6" is probably the real minimum you'd need for a driver swing unless you're crazy short.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is there a bigger group of people playing E6 or TGC? Do they both have online play? My immediate thought was to get TGC but I want to make sure that whatever I go with has a playerbase.

If I can only swing my 3 wood in the garage then it's not a huge deal. My 3 wood and driver swing are very similar, especially on a tee, so it'd be close enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
E6 has a pretty big install base and there's a huge Discord/FB group of simulator owners who have E6 and play in an online league and pickup matches all day that I can invite you to if you end up getting a sim.

TGC has online play as well and I'm sure there's similar communities for it, but I don't think it's as widespread as E6.