Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I don't follow golf. What is this Jim Nantz thing everyone is mad about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

His canned line for a Japanese player winning the Masters wasn’t racist enough for Bill Simmons

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

A Japanese golfer, Hideki Matsuyama, won the masters. Bill Simmons is mad Jim Nantz didn't make a racist pun and blames 'cancel culture'

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Nantz should have gone with "And now New York has its own green monster, Hideki Matsui is the Masters champion" imo

Simmons calls him loving Matsui in the clip

Gobias Ind. fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 13, 2021

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

One of my favorite Bill Simmons quirks is that whenever he writes out dialogue about what a broadcaster or commissioner or actor or whatever should have said they always do it in bill simmons voice.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

That said simmons being upset that nantz did not reference the band Asia is so funny I can't handle it.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

General Dog posted:

Promotion: Subscribe to 10 or more Ringer Podcasts on Spotify and receive your very own Bill Simmons Dad Joke Decoder Ring

i would take this offer. not enough decoder rings anymore, imo

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there any talent left at The Ringer? One of the things it had going for it was they had some young, talented people doing stuff. Seems like most are gone. I guess Shea Serrano is still there so that's something.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Niwrad posted:

Is there any talent left at The Ringer? One of the things it had going for it was they had some young, talented people doing stuff. Seems like most are gone. I guess Shea Serrano is still there so that's something.

I listen to the Stadio podcasts (Stadio/Wrighty’s House) and intend to read more of what Musa and Ryan write for The Ringer, just don’t get to it enough.

I think Shea’s in a slightly different category because he’s remote and only publishing occasionally. So it’s not like he’s one of the people struggling in L.A. on a blogger’s salary.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

General Dog posted:

Promotion: Subscribe to 10 or more Ringer Podcasts on Spotify and receive your very own Bill Simmons Dad Joke Decoder Ring

Thought it would've been a dogwhistle myself

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Oh yeah. I watched way too much of that show when it originally aired and will watch a rerun if I come across it. Gemini was a bad, bad man.

They better talk about Wesley "Two Scoops" Berry, how awesome he was as an athlete and, uh, everything after.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
After 10 games or so, I can say I definitely miss the MLB on Fox theme when I watch the Reds. There’s not much to like with Bally Sports. The score bug sucks, the theme song sucks, the name sucks.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Oh yeah. I watched way too much of that show when it originally aired and will watch a rerun if I come across it. Gemini was a bad, bad man.

They better talk about Wesley "Two Scoops" Berry, how awesome he was as an athlete and, uh, everything after.
If you use pluto.tv (or pluto.tv/live-tv) at all, there is a 24/7/365 channel dedicated solely to American Gladiators and it loving rules.

RE: Bill Simmons and Jim Nantz...

Part the first: Of course Bill Simmons would think the best way to cap the first Japanese man to win a major is to make a racist call about it. I mean, the man grew up in South Boston when there were still race riots over school busing policy. He's apparently one of those people who just never outgrew the casual racism around him. And he thinks it's funny!

Part the second: People really should have stopped with sound-bite worthy calls at the climax of major sporting events after Brent Musberger's "This One's for All the Tostitos" quip from I can't remember when because given the moment I'm not sure anyone can top that (off the top of my head).

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 14, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Part the second: People really should have stopped with sound-bite worthy calls at the climax of major sporting events after Brent Musberger's "This One's for All the Tostitos" quip from I can't remember when because given the moment I'm not sure anyone can top that (off the top of my head).

https://youtu.be/sMFl6lnYTXk

2011 BCS National Championship. Thanks for making me re-live that trauma. MICHAEL DYER WAS DOOOWWWWNNN

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Mahoning posted:

After 10 games or so, I can say I definitely miss the MLB on Fox theme when I watch the Reds. There’s not much to like with Bally Sports. The score bug sucks, the theme song sucks, the name sucks.

I agree. It's worse for hockey.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The tostitos call was good and michel dyer was down

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Niwrad posted:

They have the Cespedes Family BBQ guys there now for baseball

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Michael Baumann is also very good on the baseball side, and Rodger Sherman writes about college sports and does an extremely good bachelor recap.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Adam Nayman is good on the non-sports side of things and I’ve always liked Bryan Curtis even though he has a weird meta-job.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
The Press Box pod is an interesting listen, but I feel like I wouldn't even know they were part of Ringer if they didn't mention it.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mahoning posted:

Agreed, and somehow it’s a worse scorebox for hockey. Fox had the perfect hockey graphic and a great theme (a remix of their old network NHL theme) while the universal Bally theme is just nothing.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Niwrad posted:

There's still some good writing on The Ringer, but if you only follow the twitter feed you'll probably miss it as they shill the same podcasts again and again and again

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

There's still some good writing on The Ringer, but if you only follow the twitter feed you'll probably miss it as they shill the same podcasts again and again and again

That reminds me, I need to take it out of my RSS aggregator. I don't mind the podcasts, but gently caress if I want to open what looks like an interesting read, only to see, "So and so and what's his face talk about it!" and an audio link.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Nice, this guy sucked
https://twitter.com/usatodaysports/status/1382424670885056521

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

looonnng loving overdue

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1383133576934297600?s=20

:laffo:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1383417673434865664

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That seems like a thing Buck would be good at

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Buck would be fabulous at that, yeah

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

That reminds me, I need to take it out of my RSS aggregator. I don't mind the podcasts, but gently caress if I want to open what looks like an interesting read, only to see, "So and so and what's his face talk about it!" and an audio link.

lol if this becomes the new

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/469545214760468480

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

What is a disgusting act?

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champions-league/story/4363096/man-united-liverpool-among-clubs-in-

looks like there will be yet another thing to bid on

(i doubt this goes through this time, but there was an uproar about this just a few months ago, so the momentum seems to be building)

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Doctor Teeth posted:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champions-league/story/4363096/man-united-liverpool-among-clubs-in-

looks like there will be yet another thing to bid on

(i doubt this goes through this time, but there was an uproar about this just a few months ago, so the momentum seems to be building)

lol nevermind

https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1383907893091520525

chelsea have already put out a statement https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2021/04/18/club-statement?utm_source=tw&utm_medium=orgsoc&utm_campaign=none

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
never watched soccer outside the world cup before but thinking about becoming a big super league guy as a bit

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They are all teams that once were great and are sick of competition, or are great but don't like constanstantly having to try and wish it were like the NFL where the cheques roll in regardless and winning is only second behind making money.

Needless to say I don't like it and it sucks.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
AC Milan has been poo poo for a decade and are mad they don't get a free pass to the Champions League lmao

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The commonality of nearly all those teams is that they’re owned by Americans or crime lords or both.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
is there a german equivalent to the paul finebaum show I can call into and insist that bayern ain't played nobody because they didn't play against the superior athletes of the super league

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

MourningView posted:

is there a german equivalent to the paul finebaum show I can call into and insist that bayern ain't played nobody because they didn't play against the superior athletes of the super league
man I do not want to find out what the German equivalent of Harvey Updyke is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Whole lotta clubs with deep trophy cases ... and Tottenham for some reason