Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Is Super Cub streaming anywhere? Because.moe isn't turning up anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's on funi

because.moe hasn't updated their lookup table in like a year, try https://www.senpai.moe/?mode=calendar for airing stuff

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Nomad firing on all cylinders three weeks straight. I liked the first season of Megalobox well enough, but Nomad feels like an entirely new, much more confident show.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Just watched Vivy and it's probably gonna be my third watch of the season alongside Zombieland and To Your Eternity. Discount Monokuma is my favorite character so far (which apparently is a very rare opinion.)

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Just watched Vivy and it's probably gonna be my third watch of the season alongside Zombieland and To Your Eternity. Discount Monokuma is my favorite character so far (which apparently is a very rare opinion.)
He's an rear end in a top hat and I enjoy hating him.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Please tell me someone else here is still watching the Moriarty show, because that last line... I saw it coming, but couldn't make myself believe that's where they were going.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Forgall posted:

He's an rear end in a top hat and I enjoy hating him.

Same.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

dogsicle posted:

it was a pretty conspicuous scene, but so far i'm just taking stuff like that as references rather than full-on continuity. they've been kind of inconsistent in how characters are handled with Lydia and Yana being similar to their 90s counterparts while Shelley isn't and other characters seem to exist largely as name references like the detective or Paglia. it's obvious Kanata's grandma was raising her granddaughter into a potential athlete, but whether she's actually Akari from the original i'll wait for them to reveal (or not, and leave as an ambiguous tease).

I also wish the series would be less vague on if it's a reboot with references, or a sequel, but honestly with the way the whole "civil war on the moon" plot was told via a dialogue dump by Lydia and Yana, I'm starting to not trust the series with telling the greater interesting plot bits well.
Like it almost feels like there's two anime here - one's the stuff with the sports girls, the other is all the intriguing world things happening around them. And I'm not sure how they're going to mix those two.

Then again the ending of the 1997 series (spoilered because even though it's old it's worth watching IMO) had the whole alien thing come out of nowhere in the last three episodes and somewhat pulled it off

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Watched the first ep of Super Cub. It's an interesting contrast with the opener of Yurucamp S1 - whereas in the latter they used as few words as possible to convey that Rin was alone but comfortable, Koguma is alone and quietly sad. I hope the murderscooter brings her joy

edit: the one thing I would say is it was kinda weird that they completely skipped her getting her license. Felt like it should have been a bigger event for someone in her head space, if that makes sense

Guess I'll have to sub to Funi, too. Can't remember if I've ever done that before.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 18, 2021

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brutal Garcon posted:

Please tell me someone else here is still watching the Moriarty show, because that last line... I saw it coming, but couldn't make myself believe that's where they were going.

I've been waiting for it to finish airing before starting it, but if it gets really dumb I'll bump it up on my watch priority list.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
:siren: Made a Nomad thread! :siren:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

I've been waiting for it to finish airing before starting it, but if it gets really dumb I'll bump it up on my watch priority list.

I can confirm it gets very dumb.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
As Davincie said about 86, The Jannisaries and Mamluks provide ample real life example of "Let's use slaves as the cornerstone of our military and our most elite force, what could go wrong!". Both examples also ended in the Mamluks/Jannisaries saying "If I'm the one with the sharp objects why aren't I in charge?" and taking over their respective empires. So the 86'ers doing it would just be a page right out of history and I'd bet money on a mutiny/escape plan being in the world near the series end.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
The Jannisaries iirc didn't "take over" the Ottomans but they did exercise a considerable degree of influence and have a great deal of powers and privileges of being a part of such a elite class entailed but it isn't like they declared themselves the Caliph. They're more like the Praetorian Guard in Rome where the people who are ostensibly are supposed to protect the Emperor are also in a position to choose who gets to be Emperor.

A better analogy is like a combination of penal battalions during WW2 by the Soviets mixed with Roman Auxiliaries.

e: A quick look at wikipedia suggests ghilman, slave soldiers that predate the jannissary corps in the islamic world. The Confederacy during the Civil War tried to use slaves as soldiers, that's actually probably closest along with Osttruppen during WW2.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 19, 2021

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Moriarty S1 felt like it was almost all setup and kind of boring, but in S2 that's finally all over with and the story is spreading it's fantastically dumb wings in the best way.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 19, 2021

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

The Confederacy during the Civil War tried to use slaves as soldiers, that's actually probably closest along with Osttruppen during WW2.

Only at the very end of the war; the idea never got far enough for any slaves to actually fight for the Confederacy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

Only at the very end of the war; the idea never got far enough for any slaves to actually fight for the Confederacy.

But the idea was considered, in circumstances that broadly align with the premise of the show; so it isn't exactly implausible or ridiculous to conceive.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Silver2195 posted:

And was roundly rejected by almost everyone in the confederacy anyway

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

The Jannisaries iirc didn't "take over" the Ottomans but they did exercise a considerable degree of influence and have a great deal of powers and privileges of being a part of such a elite class entailed but it isn't like they declared themselves the Caliph. They're more like the Praetorian Guard in Rome where the people who are ostensibly are supposed to protect the Emperor are also in a position to choose who gets to be Emperor.
They were able to grind the modernization of the state's military to a halt for over a hundred years to preserve their special positions of power and took over as direct rulers of multiple break away states. They did in fact take over.

Raenir Salazar posted:

The Confederacy during the Civil War tried to use slaves as soldiers, that's actually probably closest along with Osttruppen during WW2.
That is absolutely not true. Even in the most desperate considerations at the end of the war the assumption was that they'd have to free any slaves expected to fight in a modern army. Letting black people fight was considered and shot down, but there was never an attempt to have them fight as slaves. That would require a strong central government mechanism to own and control a a whole slave military as was done for mamluks, janissaries, etc, and by design the Confederacy had no such strong central government.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bass reeves was forced into fighting with his master for the south but it didn't last long because he was a better shot than his master and at one point he just clocked his master in the face during a card game and bolted

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Brutal Garcon posted:

I did not in any way shape or form see it coming, but then it happened and it is the best, most wonderfully stupidest thing ever. And oh my God, yes, more, more, MORE. If this series goes out like A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen I will be over the loving moon.

Sindai posted:

Moriarty S1 felt like it was almost all setup and kind of boring, but in S2 that's finally all over with and the story is spreading it's fantastically dumb wings in the best way.

:hmmyes:

I didn't think of the series as particularly boring in the first cour, and I was actually a little bit worried about the plot once they decided they were going to have one, but this episode turned it all the hell around. And the title the next episode says they're going to do an arc about Jack the Ripper? Yes loving please.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I want somebody to go ahead and spoil the dumb thing Moriarty is doing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if it's just making james bond a woman then i'm calling everyone freaking out about it a dingus

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Maxwell Adams posted:

I want somebody to go ahead and spoil the dumb thing Moriarty is doing.

Well all right, here goes, obvious extremely major spoilers:

The opening arc of season two is an expanded version of A Scandal in Bohemia, that one story with Irene Adler. Except it turns out that in this story she didn't steal some tantalizing photographs of the King of Bohemia, she actually stole proof that the French Revolution was an op performed by British intelligence and that Robespierre was actually secretly a British spy who orchestrated the whole thing to overthrow the government of France as a social experiment. Also, Robespierre is actually the ancestor of the Holmes family and that's one of the reasons why Mycroft Holmes, who functionally runs the government, didn't just burn the document in the first place. Also, Irene Adler, is an egalitarian social reformer who is using blackmail material to try and force rich assholes to do good things to try and transform Britain and got the document while trying to get dirt on the Prince of England.

But that's just all prologue, Adler got this extremely incriminating document and Mycroft Holmes charges the Moriarty brother who's in the Army to recover the document and kill Adler without realizing that he is the Lord of Crime. After much skulduggery and some stuff with Sherlock the Moriarty brothers get their hands on the document, use it to negotiate a deal where they reveal themselves and their ideals and their plan for social reform to Mycroft and get his tacit support and a guarantee that the British government will overlook them being The Lords of Crime, and then stage Adler's death.

At the end of the episode Irene Adler officially joins the Moriarty crime family and gives herself a new name. Bond, James Bond.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 19, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

That's wild and it rules.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
imagine if someone wrote her as Helena Blavatsky or something next

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Unsure what the situation of the world is in Nomad...seems like Japan owns america, or at least the american southwest? since japanese guys are the ones evicting mexican immigrants and all. or osaka is now the same as the american southwest and america is so bad that people are going over to japan now? really it just seems like the director wanted to include mexican inspired locales

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

GorfZaplen posted:

Unsure what the situation of the world is in Nomad...seems like Japan owns america, or at least the american southwest? since japanese guys are the ones evicting mexican immigrants and all. or osaka is now the same as the american southwest and america is so bad that people are going over to japan now? really it just seems like the director wanted to include mexican inspired locales

Japan has a place with a desert in it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Omnicrom posted:

Well all right, here goes, obvious extremely major spoilers:
I thought you were fuckin kidding about the James Bond part :pusheen:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Omnicrom posted:

Broadly, I second this. The reason Kingdom Hearts gets called impenetrable is because the overall storyline is ridiculously convoluted, not because it's actually complicated.
I mean you can distill it into something like "Sora crosses worlds and dimensions as a Chosen Wielder of the Keyblade and reincarnation of a Keyblade Master" but that's a really, really broad overview of the story.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Looks like a dunes desert rather than a cracked dry cactus and scorpions desert you ride a motorcycle across to go to dive bars where you listen to sad guitar songs

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

C'mon man.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FilthyImp posted:

I mean you can distill it into something like "Sora crosses worlds and dimensions as a Chosen Wielder of the Keyblade and reincarnation of a Keyblade Master" but that's a really, really broad overview of the story.

It helps when you realize a vast majority of each game is made up of "Sora recreates a Disney movie and it doesn't have much to do with anything."

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Maybe it's Japan after a few decades of climate change...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Maybe it's Japan after a few decades of climate change...

That seems like the most likely especially considering the big news broadcast in ep 1 about the huge climactic storms that have destroyed most of the country but I'm not ruling out that they've occupied America either...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

It helps when you realize a vast majority of each game is made up of "Sora recreates a Disney movie and it doesn't have much to do with anything."

The Disney films are mainly to present a time/place for the villains to taunt Sora and for Sora/Riku/Etc to respond back, basically to act as a stage for them to battle it out their war of ideals.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

GorfZaplen posted:

That seems like the most likely especially considering the big news broadcast in ep 1 about the huge climactic storms that have destroyed most of the country but I'm not ruling out that they've occupied America either...

They mention coming over via boat at some point, I think North America may just be turbofucked somehow to the extent that the US is no longer really a viable place to seek refuge.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
this is the best op of the season

https://files.catbox.moe/lcluit.webm

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Raenir Salazar posted:

Tottori Sand Dunes barely count as a desert, the climate is wet enough that the "desert" is at risk of shrinking, it's a tourist trap that they have to constantly keep the grass from growing on top of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

esselfortium posted:

Which English word you would use to translate "chuunibyou"?

"a hero in their own head"

Raenir Salazar posted:

Me watching Nagataro: "Why does anyone actually drink V8 juice? It's disgusting."

I like the spicy V8 juice. :shobon:

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 19, 2021