Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Hope this is the right place for this. The wife had a slow cooker that she liked, but she doesn't remember what it was. The one we use now is pretty terrible (smaller, has rubber that holds it closed, always smells like mexican food.)

Is there a goon-census on a good slow cooker? Not too worried about price. Would like one that's enough to feed a family of 6+.

I would probably get a crock pot if it came down to it. They work and are cheap. But if you don’t already have an instant pot i’d get one of those instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Crock Pot is the classic slow cooker choice. We’ve had ours for like 15 years.

That said, buying now I would probably go for an instant pot.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've looked into the kitchenaid stand mixer thing a few times and it's just a giant mess, with the multiple model ranges, the metal vs nylon gears, and the cheaper motor vs the more powerful one.

can someone just tell me what model I want? is there a current-production model with the more powerful motor and the metal gears, or a historical model that I should look for on ebay/craigslist/whatever? I think the risk of hard jamming it and burning out the motor is less than the danger of the nylon stripping, so I'm fine with that. Or is that not really worth the price premium? are the costco bundles sufficiently cheap here that it's just worth getting that and not worrying about it?

These days, I buy all my appliances and tech stuff from Costco if I can. Their return policy on broken items is just too good for my worried brain to pass up. Kinda makes the anxiety of "will it break the motor or nylon gears right after the manufacturer's warranty runs out?" a moot one.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

BrianBoitano posted:

These days, I buy all my appliances and tech stuff from Costco if I can. Their return policy on broken items is just too good for my worried brain to pass up. Kinda makes the anxiety of "will it break the motor or nylon gears right after the manufacturer's warranty runs out?" a moot one.

Costco gets specific, crappy versions of appliances in some cases. I believe they have their own models of KitchenAid stand mixers, vitamix blenders and instant pots.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Murgos posted:

Crock Pot is the classic slow cooker choice. We’ve had ours for like 15 years.

That said, buying now I would probably go for an instant pot.

Slow cookers and pressure cookers serve different purposes though.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Slimy Hog posted:

Slow cookers and pressure cookers serve different purposes though.

Instant Pot has slow cooking modes that don't pressurize

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

xtal posted:

Instant Pot has slow cooking modes that don't pressurize

No poo poo? I need to read my instant pot's manual or something

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

My mother found the instant pot isn’t as good of a slow cooker as a more traditional one with a leakier lid. At least for all those slow cooker recipes that rely on 8 hours of reduction for flavor.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
I have slow cooked in my instant pot multiple times. Also, found a glass lid from other pots that fits perfectly.

The lid on my Evo Duo Plus does pressurize slightly even during slow cooking so a different lid can help if you care about this.

I have a chili recipe that throws the burn warning in the Evo so now I slow cook it instead of pressure cook.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The best slow cookers are found at thrift stores/ebay and must be at least 20 years old. Sometime around then all slow cookers seemed to up the temp of what "low" is, and it still actually simmers, instead of just staying at like 180f. Trying to do anything like chili, or overnight oatmeal or anything that settles will end up scorching in a modern slow cooker.

I assume it was a liability thing of them not wanting to be responsible for people throwing in a whole frozen pork shoulder or something, putting it on low and then poisoning themselves because the middle is below 130 for 7 hours.

Edit:

Thumposaurus posted:

Bonus points for finding one with :krad: woodgrain or mushrooms or some poo poo printed on the side.

This is the ideal Crock Pot. You may not like it, but this is what peak slow cooking looks like.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 18, 2021

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Bonus points for finding one with :krad: woodgrain or mushrooms or some poo poo printed on the side.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

xtal posted:

Costco gets specific, crappy versions of appliances in some cases. I believe they have their own models of KitchenAid stand mixers, vitamix blenders and instant pots.

they often have different upcs that other stores but that doesnt mean the products are inferior

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Hope this is the right place for this. The wife had a slow cooker that she liked, but she doesn't remember what it was. The one we use now is pretty terrible (smaller, has rubber that holds it closed, always smells like mexican food.)

Is there a goon-census on a good slow cooker? Not too worried about price. Would like one that's enough to feed a family of 6+.

Lots of people are saying Instant Pot, and they're right that it works as a slow cooker. I have one and use it that way.

But you specifically pointed out rubber lid closure and always stinking as negatives, and Instant Pot I have (a few years old) specifically has a rubber closure which is a common failure point, that will always smell like the first thing you cooked in it based on my experience. The online advice I've seen on this aspect is to buy multiple seals and switch them out based on what you're cooking, which may negate the problem. Also the failure of the seal really doesn't matter for slow cooking.

I've never owned an actual slow cooker though so maybe they're generally no better in these regards.

Edi for clarity: the rubber seal specifically is what ends up stinking, not the whole device

BigShasta fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 18, 2021

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
mine is silicone and doesn't seem to hold odors. (not trying to split hairs here... the smell just washes completely out for me, and I smell great*)

*used here strictly as an adverb

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

my silicone seal always smells like the last thing I cooked, and afaict has never flavored the next thing I cooked, including white rice

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My crock pots all run a little hot so I use a PID controller on them. Yes it’s fiddly

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Steve Yun posted:

My crock pots all run a little hot so I use a PID controller on them. Yes it’s fiddly

that's ridiculous

I just use a rheostat

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Vim Fuego posted:

Speaking of garbage, compost question:
Compost
Does anyone have a good solution for compost? We have one of those little metal compost bins

And I really don't like it. It's gross to have it on the counters even when it's closed. The lid jams up because it got dropped at some point. I do see the advantage of it being really small, which is that you'll never get lazy and have a whole trash can of compost rotting in your kitchen. But I don't like having to interact with it, e.g. jamming an egg carton in it, having it near the food prep area etc.

That's the one I have. With biodegradable compost bags it's not too big of an issue for me, but I've got a big compost bucket and a vermiculture bag 10-15 feet away on the porch that I can put bigger stuff into. I could see it being annoying if you didn't have that. Unfortunately I think anything bigger is it's own annoying counter-space problem.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
My zojirushi rice cooker has been having an off and on problem for like a year now where the gasket won't fully seal and all the moisture condenses and leaks out of the lid, leaving me with crackers instead of rice. Anyone have any tips on how to DIY fix or replace this without having to buy a whole new cooker?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

AnonSpore posted:

My zojirushi rice cooker has been having an off and on problem for like a year now where the gasket won't fully seal and all the moisture condenses and leaks out of the lid, leaving me with crackers instead of rice. Anyone have any tips on how to DIY fix or replace this without having to buy a whole new cooker?

I’ve had the same thing happen a lot. Every time it’s turned out to be some dried rice spilled around the edges preventing a seal. I take a brush and clean it up all around. Fixes the problem every time.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

xtal posted:

This got me curious, so when I was there today I snapped a few pics to investigate later. I also read some articles, which cautioned against buying TVs or toilet paper from Costco, but I didn't evaluate those claims. I was most interested in common things for this thread, plus one thing I'm thinking of buying myself.

Vitamix:
code:
Costco E320			Vitamix's official store E310
$320				$310
64 oz				48 oz
Includes smoothie cup		Nope
Wider container			Narrower
2.2 HP				2.0 HP (though HP in blenders doesn't really matter when blade length is so different)
Reviews mention needs
more tamping than
narrower E310
So better deal for your money, bigger capacity but that could be a negative if you do small batches, the smoothie cup can help with that.

Instant Pot:Same model name, same listed features, same price. Can't guarantee it's the same SKU, but if you want to dig Costco's is 112-0125-01

Kitchenaid, which is what OP asked about : Only feature difference is Costco $350 KP26M9PC is 590W vs Amazon's $800 KP26M1XER (lol) 575W, which I'm sure is a negligible difference. One comment was a 2nd hand report of Costco's bowl sitting a bit too low for the scraper to reach bottom, but the lift mechanism is adjustable with a flat-blade screwdriver so actually not an issue. :siren: Probably more important for lots of people: Costco seems to only come in red and silver :siren:

DJI Mini 2 Drone, which I'm seriously considering as a birthday gift to myself: Costco CP.MA.00000367.01 vs. DJI store bare or kit I think CP.MA.00000306.01
code:
Costco				DJI store bare			DJI Kit				a la carte
$440				$450				$600
2 batteries			1 battery			3 batteries			$55 each (official)
1x spare props			1x spare props			3x spare propellers 		$12 each pair (official. Cheaper for knockoffs)
ok quality case			no case				nice leather case		$39 nice leather case
32 gb micro sd			no card				no card				$cheap
charge only in drone		charge only in drone		standalone 3x charger hub	$40 official, $27 knockoff 2x charger
Seems like for everything I'm checking, Costco comes out ahead, without dumbed down features, with the bonus of Costco's amazing return policy in case you do decide it stinks. I wouldn't buy any big ticket item there without checking to make sure that item isn't one of the ones that gets watered down, but the above seem like no brainers to me. Unless you prefer Kitchenaids with tilt-heads or different colors, or want a Vitamix with the program settings.

BraveUlysses posted:

they often have different upcs that other stores but that doesnt mean the products are inferior

Seems like it. Sorry for spergin, I'm the type that has a photo album on my phone of random prices from different stores so I can price compare later.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 23, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

BrianBoitano posted:

This got me curious, so when I was there today I snapped a few pics to investigate later. I also read some articles, which cautioned against buying TVs or toilet paper from Costco, but I didn't evaluate those claims. I was most interested in common things for this thread, plus one thing I'm thinking of buying myself.

Vitamix:
code:
Costco E320			Vitamix's official store E310
$320				$310
64 oz				48 oz
Includes smoothie cup		Nope
Wider container			Narrower
2.2 HP				2.0 HP (though HP in blenders doesn't really matter when blade length is so different)
Reviews mention needs
more tamping than
narrower E310
So better deal for your money, bigger capacity but that could be a negative if you do small batches, the smoothie cup can help with that.

Instant Pot:Same model name, same listed features, same price. Can't guarantee it's the same SKU, but if you want to dig Costco's is 112-0125-01

Kitchenaid, which is what OP asked about : Only feature difference is Costco $350 KP26M9PC is 590W vs Amazon's $800 KP26M1XER (lol) 575W, which I'm sure is a negligible difference. One comment was a 2nd hand report of Costco's bowl sitting a bit too low for the scraper to reach bottom, but the lift mechanism is adjustable with a flat-blade screwdriver so actually not an issue. :siren: Probably more important for lots of people: Costco seems to only come in red and silver :siren:

DJI Mini 2 Drone, which I'm seriously considering as a birthday gift to myself: Costco CP.MA.00000367.01 vs. DJI store bare or kit I think CP.MA.00000306.01
code:
Costco				DJI store bare			DJI Kit				a la carte
$440				$450				$600
2 batteries			1 battery			3 batteries			$55 each (official)
1x spare props			1x spare props			3x spare propellers 		$12 each pair (official. Cheaper for knockoffs)
ok quality case			no case				nice leather case		$39 nice leather case
32 gb micro sd			no card				no card				$cheap
Seems like for everything I'm checking, Costco comes out ahead, without dumbed down features, with the bonus of Costco's amazing return policy in case you do decide it stinks. I wouldn't buy any big ticket item there without checking to make sure that item isn't one of the ones that gets watered down, but the above seem like no brainers to me. Unless you prefer Kitchenaids with tilt-heads or different colors, or want a Vitamix with the program settings.

Seems like it. Sorry for spergin, I'm the type that has a photo album on my phone of random prices from different stores so I can price compare later.

Heck yeah this post owns. Keep doing it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BrianBoitano posted:

Vitamix:
[code]

one of the problems I'm referencing is that some of the important features here are not directly advertised. wattage doesn't matter as much as DC vs AC, there's worm-drive vs planetary gearbox, within the worm-drive there are three different tiers with progressively weaker gears.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Costco/comments/7cqhg5/kitchenaid_mixer_question/dpwezwe/

it's just a giant mess which is why I was wondering if someone could give some pithy advice on "if you want X then buy this, otherwise buy that".

I'm not a serious foodie and making a family-sized batch of something is probably about as big as quantities would get, but I don't mind buy-once cry-once if it's worth it.
kitchenaid mixers have a reputation for lasting forever so if it's $300 on a mixer and I'm set for life then whatever. but I wouldn't want to spend $300 and end up with one of the lovely versions they've watered down their line with, if I'm going to spend $100 on something that breaks in a year then I'll just keep using a handheld mixer.

Using some of the attachments would also be nice vs just buying standalone versions of them, I think.

BrianBoitano posted:

haha yeah I do that too, both as a "cooling off" period for stuff I'm not sure enough about to impulse buy (the pic of the store tag will have the date the sale ends, if I'm still thinkin 'bout those beans in two weeks I'll be back) and so I can remember the in-warehouse items/prices/bundles (which are sometimes different from online).

and yeah costco is generally no worse than anywhere else. for general merchandise, if they're the same price then they usually bundle in some extra stuff, otherwise they're a little cheaper. same thing with food, they're not always cheaper but if they aren't cheaper then usually the quality will be better than you'd otherwise get at the same price. like for steaks or something, you're not paying less, but it's gonna be a way nicer "choice" grade than other places. and of course the return policy is exceptional, and you get an extra 2% back with the executive membership.

But the thing with the kitchenaid mixers specifically is just a goddamn mess and I wanted some guidance on what's good for the price.

Maybe I will keep an eye open and see if I can find something like that refurbished 6000HD for $200 that is referenced in the link (from 3 years ago). For $200 for a high-end mixer I'd probably suck it up and pay it. $350 I'd have to think about it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 19, 2021

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Paul MaudDib posted:

one of the problems I'm referencing is that some of the important features here are not directly advertised. wattage doesn't matter as much as DC vs AC, there's worm-drive vs planetary gearbox, within the worm-drive there are three different tiers with progressively weaker gears.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Costco/comments/7cqhg5/kitchenaid_mixer_question/dpwezwe/

This is fair. I looked for a teardown / under the hood review / accessory compatability chart of the current Costco offering and couldn't find one. Good luck on your research! It may be worthwhile to you, if it matters a lot to you, to be that guy who buys one, peeks inside, and returns it if dissatisfied. If you do, make a public post about it! If not, enjoy your hunt for a good deal sure thing :)

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Aww thanks. I hit one of those awkward times of day where it wasn't enough time to nap or do anything else productive.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

but I wouldn't want to spend $300 and end up with one of the lovely versions they've watered down their line with, if I'm going to spend $100 on something that breaks in a year then I'll just keep using a handheld mixer.

But if it breaks Costco will take it back pretty much forever so who cares?

The reason nobody cares about whether it’s plastic or a worm gear or whatever is that the Holy Grail Mixer with Parts Made By God has a one year warranty, and whatever Costco sells for less has essentially a lifetime warranty even if you use it to mix cement.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the costco kitchenaid is really good and you can find deals on older versions online that're by far one of the most affordable ways to get a good bowl-lift stand mixer

i have made literally hundreds (if not a thousand+ now) loaves in mine over the last 6 or so years since i got one

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Great post, thanks for checking the facts!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I've got a not-Costco KitchenAid Artisan that I bought new when the price dipped below $200 about 15 years ago. I used it nearly every day to bake bread (3 cups flour), so I worked it like a motherfucker. after 2 years, I learned that I could make dough in the Cuisinart, which is handy because it takes less time and also because the KitchenAid broke at that exact moment.

my father is good at small motor repairs, so I sent it to him. the nylon gear had stripped, and he replaced some of the innards with metal gears iirc. I just use it for cakes, these days. oh, and grinding meat.

tl;dr: I overworked one with nylon gears almost daily and it still took 2 years to break.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I'd be wary of using 'Watts dissipated' as a metric of quality between two otherwise identical products.

They both are intended to be used on the same 120V/15 Amp household circuit with a similar (identical?) horsepower rating for their motor so the higher consumed power just means it takes more juice to make it go. Which is typically not a good sign in electronics.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I've had a Costco model Kitchenaid for 15 years and it's still going fine, no grinding or anything. I don't make a ton of bread in it, but I do like to make marshmallows. I figure I should probably have it inspected, cleaned, and repacked with fresh lube in the next 5 years or so to keep it working well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My Kitchenaid was passed to me from my grandmother and has a Hobart badge on it. I've never done any maintenance on it, should I?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
So, I spent way more time that I should have researching Kitchen Aid Stand Mixers.

I couldn't find a tear down of the Costco version but there are teardowns of the 600 (randoms) and the 6500 (AvE, so it's thorough) I didn't watch the flip top teardowns because I don't expect much there.

The 600 is at least all metal gearing and drive and probably fine. I have a Pro-600 that we've had for 10 years. It's fine.

The 6500 is in the solid pro-sumer area and if you aren't trying to run a bakery out of your house looks like it will last a lifetime. This is the one with the metal planetary gears and beefy DC motor. Walmart lists the 6500 at $479 (MSRP $599) when it is in stock. Bang for the buck your best bet would be a refurbished one of these.

BTW, the MSRP direct from the factory on the Pro 600 is $499 (so normally probably $350 to $450 at retail), I expect the only reason Amazon has them so expensive is just do to all the recent supply issues and once those get sorted out the prices will drop back to normal.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My Kitchenaid was passed to me from my grandmother and has a Hobart badge on it. I've never done any maintenance on it, should I?
If it was me I'd probably open it up, clean everything out, and then re-pack the gears. If something's going to fail in something like a stand mixer it's probably going to fail because of lubrication and food-grade grease is more prone to breaking down than the grease used to pack e.g. a random power tool.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
A note regarding Costco KitchenAid mixers:

The bowl-lift models sold by Costco a few years ago had different mounts to all the other bowl-lift KitchenAid models for... some reason. I'm not sure why this was, or if this has changed, but that was a major bone of contention for people who bought their KitchenAid mixers at Costco.

The tilt-head ones were nigh-identical, from what I remember, so those should be fine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Hobarts are tanks, but even tanks need service once in a while. It's probably worth bringing it in so it can last another couple decades.

e.: I've found some more clarification on the specific Costco mixer model people hated: It was the KitchenAid model 6000HD, designed specifically for Costco. It had the higher-power motor of the 7000-series, BUT the bowl was a 5qt bowl stretched to "6qt" capacity, meaning that attachments intended for the 5qt model wouldn't work. Costco eventually released exclusivity on the model, which meant that accessories started showing up which were compatible.

That said, KitchenAid's naming conventions are confusing as hell.

For tilt-head, generally Architect > Artisan Design > Artisan > Classic > Those Stupid Artisan Mini Models I Don't Know Why You Would Ever Buy in descending order of quality.

For bowl-lift, Commercial Series is king but you'll never buy that unless you're running a bakery that somehow doesn't need a Hobart; after that the 7qt Pro Line, the 6qt Pro 6000HD and 6500 Design (the only difference being the glass bowl with the Design), then the Pro X00 <foo>* in descending numbers, and last the KitchenAid Professional HD models.

* where <foo> is Plus, HD, Design, etc. Design just means 'glass bowl' for these.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 20, 2021

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a goon favorite rice cooker, other than the obvious Zojirushi machines? I guess I could swing 150 bucks for a rice maker if they're really THAT good but I don't have rice all that often (yet).

How about this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CK58RPN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_BQ3Q2YXDM4GBV45KZRT5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
What's a good springform pan for lasagna?

https://twitter.com/wilhelmdererste/status/1377942481778704386

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i wouldn't call it lasagna, but that looks fuckin delicious, sorry

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i wouldn't call it lasagna, but that looks fuckin delicious, sorry

Super soft noodles, string cheese, one of the cheapest jarred sauces at Walmart. Mmmm delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Super soft noodles, string cheese, one of the cheapest jarred sauces at Walmart. Mmmm delicious
i know you mean this as a joke, but i am dead serious when i say i would gently caress and cum in that sludgy mass of carb, cheese, and tomato