Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It strikes me as a show that was made all at once; is there really that much major writing happening on the set of an HBO prestige show with crazy special effects like that?

MiddleOne posted:

Got bored by the third episode tbh.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Got bored by the third episode tbh.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Raised by Wolves isn't much of a mystery box, it seems clear to me that the planet is alive/sentient which explains most of the goings on.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

veni veni veni posted:

it's just not going to give people the hard sci-fi cut and dry answers they want. It's a trippy fantasy show idk what people are expecting.
Some of us want some drat answers and don't like unexplainable mysteries in our fiction. Real life has enough unknowns and inexplicables already. Raised by Wolves had some fun visuals and good performances but I absolutely regret watching it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Just watched episode 2 of The Nevers. Could theoretically get better, but you can read the disdain in this Vulture recap (if you don't mind spoilers) and also see how cluttered the story already is, 2 episodes in: https://www.vulture.com/article/the-nevers-recap-season-1-episode-2-exposure.html. I don't recommend it now but I'll probably keep watching.

Also finished Made for Love.. There are likable elements but the story never got good enough to me to overcome the annoyance of everything being told out of order.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Lost was good for 1 season before the writers became completely unable to restrain themselves and ended up creating plots via madlibs that make no sense or never see resolution.

In a more recent review with Damon Lindelof, he basically explains that he was somewhat forced (read: money was dangled in front of him) to continue to lengthen the series, even though they didn't really have the story for it, and it shows. I think that experience is part of why Watchmen was always framed as a one-and-done for him.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Is Love and Monsters on Netflix as good as they say?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
LOST never explained the outrigger scene and for that I am mad

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Glottis posted:

In a more recent review with Damon Lindelof, he basically explains that he was somewhat forced (read: money was dangled in front of him) to continue to lengthen the series, even though they didn't really have the story for it, and it shows. I think that experience is part of why Watchmen was always framed as a one-and-done for him.

It's actually kind of even more hosed than that - here's an article that kinda goes over the interview I think you were talking about :

https://collider.com/damon-lindelof-lost-original-ending-plan/

Damon Lindelof posted:

“Lost was like, ‘What’s in the hatch? What’s up with the monster? Who’s the original Sawyer? How did Locke get in the wheelchair? What is the nature of the island? Why does it appear to be moving? Who are the Others?’ There were all of these compelling mysteries and so we were saying, ‘We wanna have this stuff answered by the end of Season 1, this stuff answered by the end of Season 2, and then the show basically ends after about three years.’ That was the initial pitch, and they were not even hearing it. They looked at particularly me — Carlton came on about midway through Season 1 and he joined the chorus of me — but they were just like, ‘Do you understand how hard it is to make a show that people want to watch? And people like the show? So why would we end it? You don’t end shows that people are watching.’”

It's really fascinating to hear about this stuff, and what actually went down. It seems pretty clear that if Lindelof had his way the show would have ended in 3-4 seasons at the most.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 19, 2021

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is Love and Monsters on Netflix as good as they say?
It's extremely formulaic, but good enough to watch if you have nothing better in the queue

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Glottis posted:

Also finished Made for Love.. There are likable elements but the story never got good enough to me to overcome the annoyance of everything being told out of order.

Great actors and great premise; story went absolutely nowhere. Hated it!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Glottis posted:

Just watched episode 2 of The Nevers. Could theoretically get better, but you can read the disdain in this Vulture recap (if you don't mind spoilers) and also see how cluttered the story already is, 2 episodes in: https://www.vulture.com/article/the-nevers-recap-season-1-episode-2-exposure.html. I don't recommend it now but I'll probably keep watching.
It's very difficult to imagine it actually becoming good, but so far despite various issues it's been enjoyable enough out of sheer wackiness. In the first episode it felt like it was clearly going to develop along certain fairly tedious lines, almost like a procedural, but now it seems like it might go in an even more comic book-ish direction, which is not necessarily better but at least it's less in the direction of attempting to do serious period drama stuff, which is potentially good because it seems to be the thing the show is worst at.

It seemed almost like that amazon show with the fairies at the beginning, but by the end of the second episode it feels more like Victorian X-Men or something (which is possibly even less original but more fun).

So I guess I would tell anyone to go ahead and watch it as long as you're enjoying each episode and just don't necessarily have any particular expectations?

The involvement of Joss Whedon doesn't seem like a great sign, however.

mystes fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 19, 2021

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
is AMC's The Terror any good? haven't seen much discussion of it.

i noticed it on Hulu yesterday but ended up watching The Dead Zone (1983) instead, which was dope.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Season 1 is really really fantastic. I skipped 2 because the consensus seemed to be that it wasn't great.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

minority opinion: it was a boring slog

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Are any of the "Skyline" movies worth watching? Dumb but at least entertaining sci fi action is fine.
Beyond Skyline is loving amazing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Stevie Lee posted:

is AMC's The Terror any good? haven't seen much discussion of it.

i noticed it on Hulu yesterday but ended up watching The Dead Zone (1983) instead, which was dope.

Season 1 is great. Season 2 does not exist, there is no Season 2.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

feedmyleg posted:

Season 1 is really really fantastic. I skipped 2 because the consensus seemed to be that it wasn't great.

withak posted:

Season 1 is great. Season 2 does not exist, there is no Season 2.

Correct takes.

lament.cfg posted:

minority opinion: it was a boring slog

Valid perspective.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think a big indicator of whether or not you'd find S1 of The Terror gripping or boring is how much you liked Master & Commander.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Halloween Jack posted:

Beyond Skyline is loving amazing.

This can't be stated enough. Go in blind.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

married but discreet posted:

5.3 on IMDB :magemage:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

married but discreet posted:

Do you need to have watched the previous 2?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Beyond Skyline is the 2nd one. I haven't seen the first one or the third one. You can go in blind.

who cares

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Have you met people? People have bad taste.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Don't even look up who is in the movie. Just watch it. Who do you trust more, the average imdb user or three people on a dead gay internet forum?

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I trust no one, not even myself.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I read some reviews, get the gooncensus, read a couple Letterboxd reviews, and generally get a sense for whether or not its a movie for me. Some of my favorite horror has pretty dire numbers from IMDB/RT/MetaCritic.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Rotten Tomatoes is the only site that accurately quantifies the objective level of quality for a given movie. I don't watch any movies below 70% because that's a failing grade. Only tool you need to determine if a movie is good or bad.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010

tweet my meat posted:

Rotten Tomatoes is the only site that accurately quantifies the objective level of quality for a given movie. I don't watch any movies below 70% because that's a failing grade. Only tool you need to determine if a movie is good or bad.

You forgot to filter for "Top Critics" only. Obviously the opinion of regular critics is trash.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I was really hoping to like Synchronic given how much I enjoyed the previous Benson and Moorhead movies. Those relied more on implying what was going on than outright stating it, which I both liked in general and may have covered up some writing limitations exposed by all the blunt exposition in this one.

I loved Spring and really liked The Endless (Resolution was good too).

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

tweet my meat posted:

Counterpoint: Beyond Skyline.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Ok if I were to watch it, on a scale from Mitch McConnell to Pete Davidson how high should I be?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Always watch movies high

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

tweet my meat posted:

I know you're joking but there's some real gems in the 30-40% movies.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Toebone posted:

Always watch movies high

I find that it makes a lot of blockbusters worse. You see through the illusion too easily and it just looks like the cynically-constructed product it is. Watching those same movies drunk, though, and you have a good time and don't care about any of that.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

feedmyleg posted:

I think a big indicator of whether or not you'd find S1 of The Terror gripping or boring is how much you liked Master & Commander.

Being a Jared Harris fan helps too. Terror and Chernobyl are some good Harris vehicles.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Being a Jared Harris fan helps too.

Well, sure, but that eliminates 0% of the population.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I know you're joking but there's some real gems in the 30-40% movies.

Yeah, RT score is actually a pretty useful metric to start out with before reading some reviews if you know how to interpret it, as a ballmark measurement of critic consensus.

Movies that are close to 0 are mostly just lovely and movies close to 100 tend to be inoffensively decent or in rare cases undeniably amazing. It's the movies closer to 50 that you really wanna look out for since they're usually the more polarizing movies that take some real risks which split the opinions of the audience, that or they're boring movies that are just ok and you can usually sus out which one it is based on the reviews. I think a lot of my favorite movies would probably fall around 50% rt score.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Every so often they should check the ratings histories of all the Rotten Tomatoes critics. If a critic has gotten too many of their reviews wrong (e.g. called a Rotten movie Fresh) then they should be deemed a Rotten Critic and banned.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Being a Jared Harris fan helps too. Terror and Chernobyl are some good Harris vehicles.

Jared Harris is so cool that I feel like I need to prepare a contingency plan for if/when he evinces some lovely opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

MiddleOne posted:

Don't watch season 4. You will regret it.

I don't think season 4 was bad enough where I wouldn't recommend it to a fan of the show....but I agree that it was by far the worst season.