Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mr. Nice! posted:

is that not still the case?

depends, really. i have an 8-inch samsung tablet i really like because it has an oled screen which makes it the best for reading in bed at night. i wouldn't necessarily want to use it for much else, though, so i'd argue it has good hardware and mediocre software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Wild EEPROM posted:

which bad ipad competitor had the most laffs

ExoPC Slate. Intel gave everybody who attended their MeeGo conference an ExoPC Slate running a MeeGo Alpha and lmaaao

iirc there was a sticker on the back, which when removed revealed a Windows 7 key. Couldn't even take the free upgrade to Windows 8 because it was running one of those Intel Atoms that never got 8 support.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the words 'dual liquid-metal extensions of my body' have occupied some corner of my mind that would probably be reserved for the memory of my first kiss and will remain embedded there until the day i die

right next to 'your wife will love the dual core Tegra chipset'

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

flip video

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I got a Dell streak for free because my company ordered 10 trillion Dell laptops. still wasn’t worth it.
my dad was really upset when he had to move on to a new phone after his stopped working for some reason. I think he's probably gotten over it now, but he really liked that thing for some reason

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

carry on then posted:

yeah but that was still the era of people saying "why does anyone need an ipad when these are perfectly fine? steve jobs stealing another idea from bill gates!!!"

i remember trialing a win 7 tablet for a project and, in addition to looking like a decapitated laptop that weighed as much, it proudly could get 3.5 hours playing a video and worse doing anything we needed them to do

this was months after the ipad 2 release which weighed half with three times the battery life

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

psiox posted:

and cyrix processors!
transmeta crusoe

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

transmeta crusoe
imagine a beowulf cluster of them!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

kitten emergency posted:

the words 'dual liquid-metal extensions of my body' have occupied some corner of my mind that would probably be reserved for the memory of my first kiss and will remain embedded there until the day i die

hell yeah. was that originally uttered in iyg?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The N-GAGE commercials describing the amazing games like Call Of Duty you could play on the go, then showed something on sub Quake 1 graphics for like 2 seconds.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

transmeta crusoe

CentaurHauls

The length of the CPUID wikipedia article jfc

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The commercials that Comcast did when Verizon started rolling out FTTP, that said "DON'T FALL FOR FIBER FIOS" but never explained what that meant aside from showing a smarmy installer wrecking the place.

e: it was *don't fall for FiOS", not "don't fall for fiber"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-RFKJA3xiU

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 18, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

"fios" is short for "fiber optic service"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

"fios" is short for "fiber optic service"

I know, I originally wrote "don't fall for fiber" which gave me some then-baffling results searching for the video afterwards.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

iphone 5c

beautifully....plastic

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

RoastBeef posted:

The Galaxy Note reminded me of the weirdest Thinkpad:

The IBM TransNote. The pad of paper had some kind of digitizer that stored an image of whatever you wrote, and the screen was a touchscreen. I think it cost more than three grand new.

(Sent from my Samsung™ Galaxy Note 8)

this thing was an awesome design and I will brook no dissent

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
floating point accelerators

not units, these were not part of the instruction set like a floating point unit—or coprocessor as they were originally called, as they weren’t integrated physically into the main CPU

no, floating point accelerators were peripherals you used to perform floating point operations

so you’d have a library or in-line assembly macros to call the thing, and you might even have to arbitrate which process has access to it (depending on its degree of OS integration) and it was enough of a pain that it would only end used by Important Applications (and maybe locally compiled software)

and typically it would be implemented as a board or board set about the size of your main CPU’s board or board set

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
in that same vein, the motherboards with an extra socket for the math coprocessor

and then the ones with the socket but it was actuially fake and not linked to anything

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

eschaton posted:

floating point accelerators

not units, these were not part of the instruction set like a floating point unit—or coprocessor as they were originally called, as they weren’t integrated physically into the main CPU

no, floating point accelerators were peripherals you used to perform floating point operations

so you’d have a library or in-line assembly macros to call the thing, and you might even have to arbitrate which process has access to it (depending on its degree of OS integration) and it was enough of a pain that it would only end used by Important Applications (and maybe locally compiled software)

and typically it would be implemented as a board or board set about the size of your main CPU’s board or board set

hell yeah starfox ruled

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Star fox suxit

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've only actually played Lylat Wars but I can't imagine the older ones being any better.

Star Fox Adventure is good.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've only actually played Lylat Wars but I can't imagine the older ones being any better.

Star Fox Adventure is good.

aka star fox 64

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

eschaton posted:

seems like another example of the overwhelming burden that is the hegemony of the right hand

iphone 5c

beautifully....plastic

i super liked the look of those tbqh

also no antenna grip issues :v

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gentle Autist posted:

aka star fox 64

omg they made 63 before that?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

omg they made 63 before that?

unpopular opinion but star fox 37 reigns supreme in my mind. sure the graphics aren’t quite as good but the depth of the story is wild.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

mediaphage posted:

unpopular opinion but star fox 37 reigns supreme in my mind. sure the graphics aren’t quite as good but the depth of the story is wild.

please. anything after 14 is pleb-tier casual garbage. i bet you play “games” on your ipad too. :rolleyes:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I like Sim City 1999

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

please. anything after 14 is pleb-tier casual garbage. i bet you play “games” on your ipad too. :rolleyes:

3 - 22 were literally just rehashes with new sprites, nostalgia brain is real

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

President Beep posted:

i bet you play “games” on your ipad too. :rolleyes:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

eschaton posted:

was there a left handed version

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

sounds sinister to me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

sounds sinister to me

boo

speaking of funy tech poo poo i am displeased that the forums will no longer resolve on the hp touchpad!!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the official battery case for the iPhone

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

carry on then posted:

just turn the computer upside down op

mediaphage posted:

seems like another example of the overwhelming burden that is the hegemony of the right hand

i super liked the look of those tbqh

also no antenna grip issues :v

they looked nice in use! they're also basically what the magsafe silicone cases look like

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

carry on then posted:

Apparently yes

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Wild EEPROM posted:

in that same vein, the motherboards with an extra socket for the math coprocessor

and then the ones with the socket but it was actuially fake and not linked to anything

Then there was the 487SX, which was actually a 486DX that you plugged into your motherboard along with your old 486SX (it wouldn't work otherwise), and would then take over all the functions of your original CPU which afterwards just sat there consuming power.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

iphone 5c

beautifully....plastic

Antennagate, and the "you're just holding it wrong" arguments

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwU8wJLTxkk

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the htc facebook phone