Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Franchescanado posted:

I think since Illinois, which is still my favorite, every album has been a disappointment until I've listened to it three times and realize I love it.

His weakest releases for me have been Sisyphus or Planetarium, which were both okay. All of his solo career stuff just needs some time to grow on me. I loved Ascension.

I wish he would go back to the style of Illinios, because I love the choices for instrumentation, but I'm just happy to get more music from the dude.

Carrie & Lowell still the goat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm yelling about it everywhere I talk about music, but I can't get over how good this Hayley Mary cover of a Lana Del Rey song is.

https://youtu.be/K9wDq1gYJgw

I like LDR well enough, but this blows the original out of the water imo.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

cptn_dr posted:

I'm yelling about it everywhere I talk about music, but I can't get over how good this Hayley Mary cover of a Lana Del Rey song is.

https://youtu.be/K9wDq1gYJgw

I like LDR well enough, but this blows the original out of the water imo.

drat this is sick. thanks for sharing

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
nice

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Arlo Parks and Lucy Dacus announced tour dates :vince:

http://www.undertheradarmag.com/news/arlo_parks_announces_first_full_north_american_tour

https://www.pastemagazine.com/music/lucy-dacus/new-album-home-video-lead-single-hot-heavy/

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I was supposed to see Lucy with The National last year but we're not on her tour this year :(

Preordered the album though! Her Deluxe sold out immediately but I got a different deluxe from the Matador website.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Fingers crossed she makes her way out this way once we start letting international artists back in

I was supposed to see Phoebe Bridgers with the National last year, she's the only one from boygenius I haven't seen live yet

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Boygenius 2: Mangenius when

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Captain_Person posted:

Fingers crossed she makes her way out this way once we start letting international artists back in

I was supposed to see Phoebe Bridgers with the National last year, she's the only one from boygenius I haven't seen live yet

I road tripped to see them in Minneapolis in 2018. They all did solo sets and then a group set. It was amazing.

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019

DC Murderverse posted:

Lol everyone pretending that lyricism didn’t peak with “my pussy takes like Pepsi cola”

Edit: 100% serious question: did Lana pick Pepsi because

Lana has used both Pepsi and Coca-Cola in various other songs. I think she just used it because it sounded better to her.

I'll admit the last three Lana albums have been real hit-or-miss and continue on the trajectory of miss. Chemtrails, White Dress, Tulsa Jesus Freak, and Breaking Up Slowly are the only songs that grab me in any sense off the latest.

Like I said, I like the first three great for me, label hosed with the fourth too much, and Antonoff bores the poo poo out of me production-wise no matter who he works with even though the new St. Vincent is good, it probably could have been better without Antonoff just like the rest of them perhaps the exception is CRJ. Unfortunately my favorite female pop artist in the past few years has been Kim Petas, who works with Dr. Luke pretty much exclusively. :\

Solomon Gumball fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 18, 2021

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
I have to admit that I’ve always been kind of “meh” about Radiohead, but with all the accolades I can’t help but feel like I’m missing something. I’m going to listen to their entire discography this week, but should I go chronologically or order the albums differently?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Big City Drinkin posted:

I have to admit that I’ve always been kind of “meh” about Radiohead, but with all the accolades I can’t help but feel like I’m missing something. I’m going to listen to their entire discography this week, but should I go chronologically or order the albums differently?

If you go chronologically, bear in mind the first two albums are bad depending on your tolerance for dreary britpop.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I have a friend who has similar taste as me but hates Radiohead.

I love nearly everything on The Bends through In Rainbows, and some great b sides. They really lost me on King of Limbs and on though, and a lot of their live show with it. So wish I could’ve seen them back in the 00’s.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I wouldn’t call The Bends bad at all, but also you can’t go wrong just starting with OK Computer

Also IMO watching them perform live is really impressive. Arena rock doesn’t always translate great to video but this is a really cool performance in a low key setting:

https://youtu.be/DWuAn6C8Mfc

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I think you can be a Radiohead fan and only like three of their albums. I only own two I think. Hate the song Creep, love There There. And Thom Yorke was on a top 3 Space Ghost episode.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I'm eh on Radiohead itself, but I love the work they've done without each other. Greenwood's soundtrack work, Yorke's soundtrack for Suspiria, etc. It's all great, imo.
I saw the NZ Symphony Orchestra doing a Greenwood piece a few years ago and it was one of the best things I've ever experienced.

Fake edit: Christ that was wanky

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 19, 2021

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

There are many different opinions about what Radiohead’s peak was, but it was definitely between OK Computer (1997) and In Rainbows (2007). Everything before and after is significantly worse.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
OK Computer is probably the ideal intro to Radiohead, so try that if you haven't. You'll probably recognize 1 or 2 of its best songs already, but on the off chance you don't, you're in for a treat.

If you like that album but think "I wish they did more of the mellow and weird stuff" you're in luck!

If you wish they would get a little more upbeat then you can probably just walk away

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The Bends is one of the best rock albums. I guess some radiohead fans might not like it because it's.not reflective of the band they became. But it's an amazing album.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
yes Just is one of the best Rock Songs of the decade imo

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think starting with the Bends would be a good place to start. It is a really strong album, and one where they really come into their own. Plus, it sets the stage for OK Computer, which really is an evolution of the Bends. You have an album where the band starts knowing exactly what they want to do, and while it's before the point where they get experimental, you can hear them pushing a little bit, like on Just.

But if you really want to appreciate Radiohead - start with the "Pop is Dead" single. No matter what you think of their later work, you can agree that it's all a marked improvement from Pop is Dead.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Huh I thought I was the only one who only liked some Radiohead albums. OK Computer, Kid A and In Rainbows are fantastic. King of Limbs and A Moon Shaped Pool are atrocious. The rest are just okay.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Radiohead is a band that I can appreciate, and fully understand why others love them, but they just aren't for me. While I do enjoy OK Computer and Kid A, my favourite is Hail to the Thief. But, I only ever put on these albums every once in a while.

e: to put it more succinctly, when I think of Radiohead, I think of them making some dreary sad rock that is not any fun. Whether this assessment is correct or not, I just do not feel the inclination to listen them often.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 19, 2021

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
First song from CHV4 is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjxq36QcUDI

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think starting with the Bends would be a good place to start. It is a really strong album, and one where they really come into their own. Plus, it sets the stage for OK Computer, which really is an evolution of the Bends. You have an album where the band starts knowing exactly what they want to do, and while it's before the point where they get experimental, you can hear them pushing a little bit, like on Just.

But if you really want to appreciate Radiohead - start with the "Pop is Dead" single. No matter what you think of their later work, you can agree that it's all a marked improvement from Pop is Dead.

The Bends is proof that Radiohead could've been Oasis if they'd wanted to

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Autotune? :chloe: I guess I'm done listening to this band, this is still a step down from anything on the last album

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i think it's alright. holding out judgement for the whole album

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

air- posted:

Autotune? :chloe: I guess I'm done listening to this band, this is still a step down from anything on the last album

Yeah man it’s crazy that Chvrches would stoop so low as to use digitally enhanced voices I never thought it would happen but I guess that’s it, if they’re using autotune now here for the very first time ever I guess that’s the end of it no more classic chvrches songs which I loved for the untouched nature of the voices on their albums

you dummy

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Gone Fashing posted:

i think it's alright. holding out judgement for the whole album

Yeah it didn't blow me away but it's a perfectly fine Chvrches song.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

air- posted:

Autotune? :chloe:

lol

songs too slow for my taste though.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
yeah i think graffiti was the lead single off the last album, and it definitely caught my attention more.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Whatever happened to their signature acoustic sound?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I could only ever really dig the first CHVRCHES album. They've gotten progressively more saccharine with each release since then.

cebrail posted:

There are many different opinions about what Radiohead’s peak was, but it was definitely between OK Computer (1997) and In Rainbows (2007). Everything before and after is significantly worse.

2 best albums of theirs right there, nice bookend.

Although I will say the Live From The Basement versions of all the King Of Limbs tracks smack pretty hard.

Jagwires
May 31, 2009
The Bends is great! Its definitely a different sound than everything that comes after, but it still has some amazing songs on it.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I still listen to In Rainbows the whole way through while stoned once or twice a year, and Electioneering is one of my favorite songs of all time.

I also still jam out to Radiodread, which I realize isn’t really Radiohead but my favorite cover album of all time

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Although I will say the Live From The Basement versions of all the King Of Limbs tracks smack pretty hard.

Oh man, I got drunk with a neighbor a year ago and he was telling me about this and I was like dude... King of Limbs sucks rear end. But this does slap and the opener with Bloom is fire when the horns start playing

Edit: Kid A still kicks mega rear end too

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

High and Dry loving sucks so bad.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

A Moon Shaped Pool loving ruled :(

The studio version of TKOL was mediocre, but the Basement version improved on it in literally every way, especially with the additions of Supercollider, Staircase, and The Daily Mail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI5YMDioDBY

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Ratios and Tendency posted:

High and Dry loving sucks so bad.

:hmmyes:

Venomous posted:

A Moon Shaped Pool loving ruled :(

:hmmno:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Every Open Eye is my favorite Cha-vurches record because I don't think their lyrics are all that great and that album has the most danceable bops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I could only ever really dig the first CHVRCHES album. They've gotten progressively more saccharine with each release since then.

My thoughts exactly - the Death Stranding track had me thinking they would improve on what made them awesome back then, but bummed about getting a bland track that copies top 40 production from a decade ago