Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Its only a matter of time before joe biden's grandkid pushes him to upload "Get Out Frog: a history of extremism" to whitehouse.gov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurolimal posted:

The #1 way to not lose cultural touchstones to fascists is to just not cede ground to them

Pepe wasnt even a right-wing icon, he was a meme 4channers on every board used, then Hillary Clinton squirted out the worst high school essay about how it's a hate icon and everyone had to play along to avoid second-hand embarassment

Just stop doing that
exactly, rube-tier WNs can't help themselves but be absolute poo poo at hiding it too so in most cases it'll be pretty obvious when something's being used as a dogwhistle

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Neurolimal posted:

Pepe wasnt even a right-wing icon, he was a meme 4channers on every board used

4chan is a fascist website.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It wasn't always though, and Pepe and Wojak were both used all around the Internet including this site. Neuroliminal is right, you can't cede anything the fascists decide to claim to the fascists, that is exactly what they want

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
We used one specific image of Pepe and I don’t recall ever seeing a Wojak here.
It’s a sad state but it is what it is. We’re not getting the Sig rune or the swastika back, either.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one, Burns discovers hamburgers for the first time, but gets sick from eating too many, so Smithers gets Frink to make a plant-based burger for him that they then start to sell. It's a big hit, Homer becomes the spokesman but Lisa finds out they use endangered plants from the Amazon so she gets Homer to blow the whistle.

There's as many cutaway gags in this one as a Family Guy episode. That clip of Mac Tonight? THREE Mac Tonight songs in this episode.

There's a point where Mark Zuckerburg shows up (mercifully not voiced by himself) and they make TWO jokes about poking people on Facebook even though I don't think anyone has done that in a decade.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

PostNouveau posted:

even though I don't think anyone has done that in a decade.

That’s current for The Simpsons, though.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Stunt_enby posted:

exactly, rube-tier WNs can't help themselves but be absolute poo poo at hiding it too so in most cases it'll be pretty obvious when something's being used as a dogwhistle

remember when they tried to own the libs by starting to talk like literal babies?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

what even is the simpsons anymore

https://twitter.com/mrtimlong/status/1382516146876739585

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Now finally there's a fascist symbol I recognise.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wait, are they having Morrissey guest star? Is this a joke? April Fools was 2 weeks ago, for gently caress's sake.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Ror posted:

Probably a way to launder money.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

The Smiths, famously fronted by the late Sideshow Luke Perry

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ror posted:

An institution for insufferable writers

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Wait, are they having Morrissey guest star? Is this a joke? April Fools was 2 weeks ago, for gently caress's sake.

In the replies he says that he's voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch. And that the songs were co-written by Bret Mckenzie. I know you did that guest spot Bret, but come on, you're better than this. You won an Oscar.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Vagabundo posted:

Apparently it's Benedict Cumberbatch voicing a "Morrissey-like figure" who Lisa becomes obsessed with.

So I'm guessing her big rousing speech/introspective realisation at the end of the episode will be about sustaining the racial identity of Springfield!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Someone dropping “I’m very excited about this” when referring to a new Simpsons episode has to be ironic... right?

...Right?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Another one of those where after reading this it's easy to say "I can see why this got cut". Maybe it could've been good with actual performances and some rewrites, but as written this just doesn't feel nearly as good or tight as the rest of the episode.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Another one of those where after reading this it's easy to say "I can see why this got cut". Maybe it could've been good with actual performances and some rewrites, but as written this just doesn't feel nearly as good or tight as the rest of the episode.

Though I will say "We make an extra point of touchdown safety!" is a great line.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/AarontheWise/status/1383947704779218946

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I thought they essentially retired that character when Doris Grau died, given that it was named for her.

Maybe hoped instead of thought?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I had to look this one up but apparently they introduced a new character "Lunchlady Dora" back in 2006 voiced by Tress MacNeille. I can't even imagine the outrage if they tried this with one of Phil Hartman's characters.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yeah, that's... kinda in bad taste.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I hear gossip that Morrissey was angry about the new episode, though. So there's that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean endless respect for her versatility and all but ... I am really kind of sick of Tress MacNeille

Not quite Charlie Adler grade grating ubiquity but ... yeah

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Morrissey is the world's sandiest little butthole, so that's not surprising. Ugh, of all my childhood heroes who got milkshake ducked, he was one of the most disappointing.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Has there ever been a good celebrity cameo, even in the classic era? Someone who's playing themselves, not a written character? I feel like at best they don't add anything
Ringo's reading of "I hung it on me wall" is worth a chuckle I guess

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The aforementioned astronaut episode with Buzz Aldrin and James Taylor

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Luke Perry?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Paul and Linda Mccartney were alright.

Aerosmith.

The Ramones.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bitterandtwisted posted:

Has there ever been a good celebrity cameo, even in the classic era? Someone who's playing themselves, not a written character? I feel like at best they don't add anything

All the baseball guys in Homer at the Bat, Buzz Aldrin, probably a lot more

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Leonard Nimoy

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I have reconsidered my opinion.
Leonard Nimoy opining on the nature of Truth in the X-files episode was also funny

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also uh does Michael Jackson count?

E: ^^ “and in the end, isn’t that the real truth? The answer ... is no” god drat one of my favorite monologues

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bitterandtwisted posted:

A whole bunch of baseball players

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I liked Sting, really just because of that one joke where he bursts through the wall of the well and Bart immediately shouts "Sting!" only for him to get pushed aside by Homer.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

We used one specific image of Pepe and I don’t recall ever seeing a Wojak here.
It’s a sad state but it is what it is. We’re not getting the Sig rune or the swastika back, either.

Various Boys Club comics featuring Pepe et al were pretty popular on SA back in like 2005. This was long before he had become any sort of hate symbol, of course.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

James Woods, despite being what he is now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Moon Monster posted:

Various Boys Club comics featuring Pepe et al were pretty popular on SA back in like 2005. This was long before he had become any sort of hate symbol, of course.

:feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Tito Puente and Robert Goulet were pretty great.