Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Patware posted:

i'm really laffin' at how long it took josuke to convince yasuho to point her phone at a man

I really feel like that needed some internal panels of her struggling with the idea of killing Tooru. As it is, it just looks like she's clueless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Points to Joshuu for making an attempt, too bad he thought of gutters and died.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Funky Valentine posted:

Points to Joshuu for making an attempt, too bad he thought of gutters and died.

the anti-mattering shield was still up unfortunately

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think it's good that joshu just constantly eats poo poo

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I've seen it suggested that this ends with Kaato throwing Tsurugi at Tooru which combined with Josuke's Spin transfers the curse onto him, which is be kind of simple compared to Bites the Dust time reversal illusion power hour but I'll take it at this point

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 19, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

overmind2000 posted:

I've seen it suggested that this ends with Kaato throwing Tsurugi at Tooru which combined with Josuke's Spin transfers the curse onto him, which is be kind of simple compared to Bites the Dust time reversal illusion power hour but I'll take it at this point

This is making me hope that Tsurugi gets launched out of Kaato's cards, also I wonder if getting thrown at Tooru counts as pursuing him.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Electric Phantasm posted:

that Tsurugi gets launched out of Kaato's cards, .
TSURUGI I CHOOSE YOU[

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jousuke's power up is literally him going MHA-style PLUS ULTRA!!!!

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Random ch 106 thoughts:

I need an edit of the "BONK GO TO HORNY JAIL" meme, but with Joshuu getting bonked.

oh hey, Araki remembered that Caato still exists. Hope he does something interesting with her instead of doing what he did to Nijimura.

please, in the name of the holy saint, let Tooru be dead in the next chapter. His poo poo has been going on for too long.

This invisible spin that goes beyond calamities makes absolutely no sense, but i'm here for it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So the bubble going through the phone might actually be a Paisley Park ability rather than the bubble itself? Or maybe a combination of the two?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

RatHat posted:

So the bubble going through the phone might actually be a Paisley Park ability rather than the bubble itself? Or maybe a combination of the two?

I'm pretty sure the bubble-through-phone is explicitly a Paisley Park thing. We've seen before that the stand is all about discovering and following paths; except now, it's shown that these paths can also be used by OTHER things. It's possible the super special hyper bubble can do it due to its reality-piercing properties or some bullshit, or maybe anything small enough can.

DemoneeHo posted:

Random ch 106 thoughts:

This invisible spin that goes beyond calamities makes absolutely no sense, but i'm here for it.

I don't really get it either. May be due to supremely wonky translation...

Okay, it's obvious from part 7 that Spin can undo dimension warping bullshit, or - to use the translation's words - bypass the laws of causality. That's why they aren't registered by Wonder of U: it cannot defend against it. In that sense, it's "invisible" to Wonder of U.

During the fight were Wonder of U was forced to approach Josuke himself, Josuke's Joestar birthmark started spewing these ultra-spin bubbles. Josuke does not know why. He can shoot them, but mostly, he has no control over them being launched. That's what killed Mamezuke: the bubbles were secretly around to be used by Wonder of U, literally invisible to everyone.

Why did that start to happen? Just a general stand evolving, with the bad luck of killing an ally before becoming usable? Is Josuke now a walking hazard that threatens to punch holes into people around him with invisible bullets involuntarily? Will this ever be answered? I like the idea of a protagonist's stand upgrade promptly backfiring, at least...

I get the gist of what happened with those bubbles, but I have a hard time understanding WHY. May be a lovely translation, or just haphazard storytelling. Oh well.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think the translation being kind of poo poo is part of why some aspects might be confusing. there's no effort to actually try and contextualize anything in a legible way. i mean, given how they butcher pretty much every name that shows up it's not surprising, but, whatever.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It’s pretty confusing in the original Japanese too, to be honest. Araki doesn’t write dialogue like a normal human.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oh absolutely, i just think that it more or less being run through an obstinate human version of google translate doesn't really help matters.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Since Caato used to be a prisoner, Tooru merging with her would be confusing.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think the translation being kind of poo poo is part of why some aspects might be confusing. there's no effort to actually try and contextualize anything in a legible way. i mean, given how they butcher pretty much every name that shows up it's not surprising, but, whatever.

Admittedly, the translators didn't have the benefit of hindsight either. Now that we know what the bubble is, kinda, I'm wondering how Mamezuku's dying speech could've been made clearer.

It would make sense if Mamezuku notices not just that Josuke's bubbles are spinning, but also that they are spinning AROUND something; something that cannot be sensed. Like a little sphere of nothingness (with obvious parallels to Vanilla Ice). If it weren't for the rotating strings, you wouldn't see anything. That not only foreshadows the invisible bubbles that eventually kill Mamezuku, it also provides a more easily understood explanation why Josuke can suddenly hit Wonder of U: the bubbles are actually literal nothingness, they cannot be accounted for by any force in the world. Perhaps the translators could've been clearer, had they known that from the beginning.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
At this point, I hardly know what's going on and am just along for the ride. I will say that Wonder of U loving up the Higashikata residence is a proper "Oh, poo poo" moment.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Lol that this fight started in March 2019.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Then this fight is currently 20% of Jojolion.

Someone math the other parts.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I wonder if the reason it’s taking so long is that Araki can’t figure out how to have it connect back to the flash-forward with Tsurugi, or just couldn’t decide how to end it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Also JoJolion has been running for longer than the entirety of the anime by a whole year.

Also, I am completely owning eating poo poo when I said "Kaato will almost certainly never return".

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 23, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Should be noted the Valentine fight was similarly long.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The Valentine fight also moved much faster and had more things happen in it.

Hell, the Pucci fight is basically the entire back half of Stone Ocean, but it doesn't feel as long as Wonder of U has, because again, Wonder of U is glacially paced.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

you want me to whip out another rock insect to slow down the fight for another chap, say no more fam.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Also JoJolion has been running for longer than the entirety of the anime by a whole year.

Also, I am completely owning eating poo poo when I said "Kaato will almost certainly never return".

This is the downside of all of those "Araki is immortal" memes, without the grim, ever approaching spectre of death too many authors will never finish their work.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
We’ve also been following Wonder of U month to month so I expect it to feel slower that reading a complete work

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hatty posted:

We’ve also been following Wonder of U month to month so I expect it to feel slower that reading a complete work

that's literally what happens every single time and for every fight people think is cool there were probably people sitting there saying it was taking forever while it was in the middle of coming out

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

you want me to whip out another rock insect to slow down the fight for another chap, say no more fam.
Honestly, without the rock insects the fight would've probably been fine.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

when like part 10 is happening and a stand named after a post malone song that takes the form of a demonic clown that kills people by giving them migraines is terrorizing people and chasing the protagonist some of y'all are going to say 'man this fight is taking forever unlike wonder of u which was handled much better on the pacing'

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Wonder of U being a super long fight where a series of random bullshit happens to interrupt and draw it out is perfect.

Stop pursuing the end of the story.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Dynamite Dog posted:

Wonder of U being a super long fight where a series of random bullshit happens to interrupt and draw it out is perfect.

Stop pursuing the end of the story.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I think this fight wouldn't be so bad if Tooru was actually a villain who had any build up at all. I've thought that maybe D4C was this grueling reading it as it came out, but Valentine was established near the very beginning and was a recurring threat that we actually had an emotional connection to. In this case, we're just told that Tooru was actually super important to Yasuho the whole time and is actually the ringleader behind the whole plot (to do...?) despite not being introduced or even hinted at before we fight him. I feel like that's just an objectively worse aspect of the writing than literally any other jojo part that can't be waved away by just saying it's because of the monthly pacing.

Also, there are well-paced monthly manga! Jojolion isn't one of them and that's worth criticizing!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wonder what the Japanese readers think of it, if they are having any similar complaints.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I'm pretty cool with how Wonder of U has been going, really. It's just an absolutely grueling fight taking place in several locations at once. The only thing I could've done without would be the first rock insect - that really felt like an unnecessary delay; I'd rather have Mamezuku and Josuke start clashing with Wonder of U right away.

Still, this does not feel like the final antagonist. Despite the connection to some of the cast, Tooru just does not have enough presence. His evil plan is... to make bank by monopolizing the ultimate cure, experimenting on Josuke's mom to perfect it. There's no personal connection to Josuke himself - he just made the mistake of picking his mom.

Which is why I think that, if this is the equivalent of the Valentine fight, we're definitely gonna get the equivalent of Dio. Dio - even alternative Dio - was more of a rival, and the finale of the race was much more personal for Johnny. I think we'll see a similar thing here: Tooru's gonna get owned, but the actual final fight - which we could also consider the true closure for our main protagonist - will be against someone else. Since Tooru did not have much of a presence, I see only two possibilities: Jobin or Kaato. And that'll be the real "big bad" of Part 8.

I vote for Jobin, souped up by Kaato with some fusion shenanigans, giving him the equivalent of King Crimson or something

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, Jobin does feel like the only candidate for being the main villain that'd feel earned by now.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I think the wonder of U fight is going an appropriate amount of time for the villain marking the midpoint of part 8

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I fully believe that whenever a Rock Animal is active the chorus of the song they're named after just plays over and over again so Gappy is basically getting killed to Paul McCartney's third-worst song on the White Album.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just wish the rock insects had more presence than just kinda showing up, stalling the fight for what feels like an incredibly insignificant amount of time, and then they're taken care of. Even the current one isn't really doing much to affect the fight other than slow it down.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

somepartsareme posted:

I think this fight wouldn't be so bad if Tooru was actually a villain who had any build up at all. I've thought that maybe D4C was this grueling reading it as it came out, but Valentine was established near the very beginning and was a recurring threat that we actually had an emotional connection to. In this case, we're just told that Tooru was actually super important to Yasuho the whole time and is actually the ringleader behind the whole plot (to do...?) despite not being introduced or even hinted at before we fight him. I feel like that's just an objectively worse aspect of the writing than literally any other jojo part that can't be waved away by just saying it's because of the monthly pacing.

Also, there are well-paced monthly manga! Jojolion isn't one of them and that's worth criticizing!

i don't think its Bad bad but yeah i agree with this vibe. i can see the pieces of what i'm most likely to appreciate on a reread but i can't tell if i'm going to be able to like, suspend my want for a story behind this. the parts of it that i've enjoyed the most have been the weird asides from it and the art, while the actual meat of the fight is just some whatever that might play better in the anime in 2045 or w/e

the fact that people can't tell if this is the final boss or the intro to it is just easily the biggest weakness of the part. im not entirely sure why we're here or where we could decide to go after. a decade deep and i just can't imagine a satisfying ending at this point, not with the stuff in play, so it just feels like more needs to happen if it's going to more than a confusing narrative with some incredible Lore Drops and art lol. ive been enjoying it enough in the meantime but it just feels lost :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

It feels like JoJolion will benefit from being adapted into an anime more than the other parts, there's definitely stuff that can be cut for better pacing and David Pro has shown that they're pretty good with making new scenes to fill in gaps in the story. Tooru in particular is gonna need at least three new scenes of backstory.