Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scientastic posted:

Excellent name choice

I mean. *gestures at the av she's been using for at least a year* that's Meche right there. Figured I should stay On Brand with a new forum name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is like the ninth time I’ve made the Serious Eats chile verde and I swear every time I make it the more it comes out weirdly, almost inedibly sweet. What the gently caress is going on here? Is that just how tomatillos are?

In fact thinking about it a bit more it’s like both too sweet and too sour. What the poo poo.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 15, 2021

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Have you tried different peppers?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
tomatillos can be pretty sweet sometimes, just like other nightshades. not saying that's what's happening here but it also wouldn't surprise me.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Pollyanna posted:

This is like the ninth time I’ve made the Serious Eats chile verde and I swear every time I make it the more it comes out weirdly, almost inedibly sweet. What the gently caress is going on here? Is that just how tomatillos are?

In fact thinking about it a bit more it’s like both too sweet and too sour. What the poo poo.

Why do you keep making it and not changing anything if you don't like it?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cause it was good the first time :shrug:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Are you adding anything else sweet? Tomatillos are super tart in my experience

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

yeah, I've never wound up with a sweet salsa verde. i blister all my tomotillos, peppers, onions, etc over charcoal and that helps add some smokiness before blitzing in a blender with cilantro and garlic and citrus. i make big batches and freeze em

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

Link to recipe please.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Apropos of nothing, my secret ingredient in chili verde is charring some ginger with the garlic

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pile of brown posted:

Apropos of nothing, my secret ingredient in chili verde is charring some ginger with the garlic

Well, it's apropos of a directly relevant discussion about a chile verde recipe.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Do you peel the ginger before charring it?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

therattle posted:

Link to recipe please.

I assume its this one:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe.html

I've never had it be sweet, but I only really use it as a guideline at best.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lmao

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016134-nashville-style-hot-fried-chicken

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Allrecipes is the absolute best site for the non-satire version of these sort of comments - they can get nearly as ridiculous as this and be dead serious.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

tarbrush posted:

Do you peel the ginger before charring it?

No.
and if I have whole garlic it doesn't get peeled either

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm relieved to learn that when it comes to meats, "uncured" means "cured but differently" and not what I thought of "not preserved at all, you better eat this bacon soon". No idea why, guess I don't eat meat that much. I somehow knew that bacon tasted pretty similar no matter which package I got.

It only really mattered to me today when I bought uncured pepperoni at the farmer's market and just kinda hoped it'd go as well in pizza as "regular" pepperoni. Looks like I'm good to go!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

to be labeled cured iirc it has to have pink salt as a nitrate. If you use like celery salt to cure you have to label it uncured.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

to be labeled cured iirc it has to have pink salt as a nitrate. If you use like celery salt to cure you have to label it uncured.

Yeah, the "uncured pepperoni" people have actually tried and failed to get that changed.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Gotta say, korean red pepper powder has been making a decent substitution for the paprika-cayenne-black pepper combo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I love it and I think it would make a great hot sauce

Whatever mighty hot sauce McDonald’s is using lately for their spicy McNuggets tastes really close to Korean Chile flakes and I love it

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

ulmont posted:

Yeah, the "uncured pepperoni" people have actually tried and failed to get that changed.
Celery extract is just nitrates. It sounds better to people who don’t understand cured meats. But is the same thing.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It’s the same thing in theory but the product is worse because people who buy celery cured poo poo are too stupid to care about taste.

I pretty much stopped going to Whole Foods because all their cured stuff is crummy quality celery cured nonsense.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Chemmy posted:

It’s the same thing in theory but the product is worse because people who buy celery cured poo poo are too stupid to care about taste.

I pretty much stopped going to Whole Foods because all their cured stuff is crummy quality celery cured nonsense.

Oh so it’s not just me. So many expensive packs of lovely “uncured bacon” I’ve given up on store bought bacon now.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Ben Nevis posted:

Well, finally did it. I took about 15 unused Hello Fresh spice packets and combined them into a big blend of random spices that I've labeled HF Madness. At some point this week, I'm going to spin the wheel of flavor and see what I get.

Going to need an update on this please!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Guessing it's going to be the world's most expensive garlic salt.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

It won't have that authentic Hello Fresh flavor unless you zest a bunch of citrus into it. Whoever makes up their recipes loves zest.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Desert Bus posted:

Going to need an update on this please!

It's mostly just spicy. I've used it two or 3 times and it's OK. It was heavy on korean chile flakes, regular chile flakes, a bit of southwest seasoning, warm and smoky, assorted paprika, with a bit of whatever they call their harissa powder, one tunisian thing, garlic powder, and italian seasoning. Basically, I think I'm going to go with it wherever I might otherwise use a pinch of cayenne or maybe pepper flakes. I was sort of hoping for something wackier.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

"I made a curry"
"Thai? Japanese? Indian?"
"Yes"

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

"I made a curry"
"Yes"

Reminds me of the cooking tournament on Food network I watched yesterday. She dumps garam masala and coconut milk into her dish and calls it a Thai curry, where it is served to the judge who's specialty is Thai cuisine.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Reminds me of the cooking tournament on Food network I watched yesterday. She dumps garam masala and coconut milk into her dish and calls it a Thai curry, where it is served to the judge who's specialty is Thai cuisine.

Did she win?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm imagining how much garam masala you'd have to use to get it to cut through the coconut milk and I'm imagining it came out just a touch gritty. ugh.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Sextro posted:

Oh so it’s not just me. So many expensive packs of lovely “uncured bacon” I’ve given up on store bought bacon now.

if nothing else, the 'uncured' fad means less injection-cured trash bacon being sold

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Ben Nevis posted:

It's mostly just spicy. I've used it two or 3 times and it's OK. It was heavy on korean chile flakes, regular chile flakes, a bit of southwest seasoning, warm and smoky, assorted paprika, with a bit of whatever they call their harissa powder, one tunisian thing, garlic powder, and italian seasoning. Basically, I think I'm going to go with it wherever I might otherwise use a pinch of cayenne or maybe pepper flakes. I was sort of hoping for something wackier.

You're obviously not using enough zest.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BrianBoitano posted:

"I made a curry"

"British," :britain:

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Am I an insane person that I finally got to trying a dry-aged ribeye and I didn't like it? The nutty flavor was so strong, and while I can understand while people would like it, I really would have preferred a normal ribeye.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Skyarb posted:

Am I an insane person that I finally got to trying a dry-aged ribeye and I didn't like it? The nutty flavor was so strong, and while I can understand while people would like it, I really would have preferred a normal ribeye.
I don't particularly care for dry aged beef either. It kinda tastes like old beef that someone forgot in the fridge to me. It's a slightly alarming flavor. I get why people like it, it's just too much "hmm am I sure I trust this steak?" for me to enjoy.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's similar to how must people don't like the movies professional film critics love. At the very edge of things people are looking for something exciting.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Skyarb posted:

Agree. I mentioned this to a chef friend and was told that dry aged should really be cooked a temp above your usual preference or even slightly higher for the best taste. I haven’t tried it but may give it one more shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

lentils