Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
V8 is ok, too salty though. The spicy version is ok too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
OP updated

quote:

:siren:Nomad: Megalo Box 2
TMS Entertainment | You Moriyama | Kensaku Kojima ; Katsuhiko Manabe | Action, Sci-Fi, Sports, Drama | Original | apr 4, 2021
In the end, "Gearless" Joe was the one that reigned as the champion of Megalonia, a first ever megalobox tournament. Fans everywhere were mesmerized by the meteoric rise of Joe who sprung out from the deepest underground ring to the top in mere three months and without the use of gear. Seven years later, "Gearless" Joe was once again fighting in underground matches. Adorned with scars and once again donning his gear, but now known only as Nomad…
PV
Thread

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

esselfortium posted:

Which English word you would use to translate "chuunibyou"?
tween

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there is no single word i'd use to translate chuunibyou, it's something you'd have to find different ways of conveying contextual to the scene and character

trying to use a one size fits all for all instances of it would just make it come off more awkward unless you found something snappy

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

esselfortium posted:

Which English word you would use to translate "chuunibyou"?

fremdschämen hth

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
If Letty gets any more precious, I may end up with diabetes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

there is no single word i'd use to translate chuunibyou, it's something you'd have to find different ways of conveying contextual to the scene and character

trying to use a one size fits all for all instances of it would just make it come off more awkward unless you found something snappy

It's interesting because there are certainly aspects of it that do exist in the West, but we just never came up with a catchy term for it (as an umbrella term for all of them). Like people who think they're the reincarnation of Dragons or aliens etc.

Zetsubou-san posted:

I like the spicy V8 juice. :shobon:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's interesting because there are certainly aspects of it that do exist in the West, but we just never came up with a catchy term for it (as an umbrella term for all of them). Like people who think they're the reincarnation of Dragons or aliens etc.
Oy I first wanted to transform into a sauropod on the school fields as early as first grade! :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Grouchio posted:

Oy I first wanted to transform into a sauropod on the school fields as early as first grade! :v:

Basically this guy probably describes what the "chuuni" version is. :D

e: the reddit thread I had to find to dig up the image from is comedy gold btw.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Raenir Salazar posted:

Basically this guy probably describes what the "chuuni" version is. :D

e: the reddit thread I had to find to dig up the image from is comedy gold btw.

Gonna bring up that pteradactyl dude there is named Sauron because he liked The Lord of the Rings. So yeah, that's a really good potted image of a chuuni otherkin supervillain.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Raenir Salazar posted:

a catchy term for it (as an umbrella term for all of them). Like people who think they're the reincarnation of Dragons or aliens etc.

The term is tumblr.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Paracelsus posted:

The term is tumblr.

Tumblr doesn't really have any social capital in peoples minds these days though, zoomers almost certainly don't know what it is.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's definitely not a 1:1 equivalent anyway, tumblr has way more going on than just people kinning characters or whatever that would equate to chuuni.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Chunni is also a pretty broad thing but in a different way than "tumblr"

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Would 'Womanchild/Manchild' be an apt description for Tumblr?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

otherkin

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
99% of the things you guys associate with tumblr were psyops by alt-right guys

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

This doesn't as a term though, capture people who pretend to be a Dark Wizard, or LARP-adjacent things. As I pointed out, there are individual aspects of "chuunism" we have terms for, but not for the whole package (as we see in anime anyways). We got a bunch of circles in our venn-diagram but nothing for the diagram itself.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

99% of the things you guys associate with tumblr were psyops by alt-right guys

Hey now, a whole bunch of it was just kids being kids and figuring out their identities and preferences in a public forum. There was undoubtedly some right-wing bullshit around it that accentuated the negatives, but let's allow literal children on the Internet some agency in their capacity to be weird and embarrassing all on their own, eh?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Otherkin stuff predated Tumblr, anyway; it started in the 90s. The aspect of it that started on Tumblr, as far as I can tell, is the "political" framing of it, especially the appropriation of the rhetoric of the trans rights movement. I suspect Endorph was correct that much of that stuff was deliberate trolling by bigots, but I do think some actual teenagers with chuunibyou bought into it to a degree.

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
"edgy" (and depending on the character speaking, sometimes "edgelord") is a word i've occasionally seen tossed around as localization for chuuni and it maps pretty well even if it doesn't fully represent the mentality/culture

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

honestly just something like 'they have an overactive imagination' or 'looks like someone never grew out of middle school' would work imo (if edgy doesn't, obviously)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mix. posted:

honestly just something like 'they have an overactive imagination' or 'looks like someone never grew out of middle school' would work imo (if edgy doesn't, obviously)
So Kirsten Sinema

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Grouchio posted:

So Kirsten Sinema

i mean, politics would probably be more interesting if sometimes during senate meetings they started shouting about how their demon arm is threatening to break free if this bill doesn't pass or whatever, sure.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Silver2195 posted:

Otherkin stuff predated Tumblr, anyway; it started in the 90s.

My shameful history in AOL Chat Rooms will back this up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

So Kirsten Sinema
grouchio im begging you to not try to relate everything to minor us political scandals

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Thankfully there is a word in Japanese already for this, and by knowing it we engage a little with the culture that produced the media we're enjoying

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Doodles posted:

If Letty gets any more precious, I may end up with diabetes.

You mean the Fire Dragon Lord.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Thankfully there is a word in Japanese already for this, and by knowing it we engage a little with the culture that produced the media we're enjoying

No, we need to localize all the words, even if it means inventing abominations like "big brudder" and "sissy" (which can be used for both onee-sama and nee-nee)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Endorph posted:

grouchio im begging you to not try to relate everything to minor us political scandals
I need to watch more anime this season

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also Tumblr is a different place now than when you remember. Dashcon did a lot to change the culture of the place. Honestly, most of that nonsense moved to Twitter.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
when I used tumblr 5-6 years ago it was just following blogs that post anime gifs and fanart with a little hyperlink for the source at the bottom and sometimes people shitposted about madoka or symphogear it was a pretty simple place. there was also a dude typesetting kancolle comic translations from /a/, and tons of jp artists liked using it

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
otherkin stuff predated tumblr because tribal/animist belief systems were doing it all over the world for centuries, also

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

When I used tumblr almost 10 years ago my impression of a lot of it was "there's like 3 right wing psyop accounts stirring poo poo and thousands of children who were convinced to take their absurd position"

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
So is Nagatoro pretty much just fetish material, or does it actually get better? As far as I can tell, she's a super-oval office almost on league with Myne (obviously, nobody can get worse than Myne).

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh trust me she's nooooowhere near Bitch's level. Just keep watching

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Grouchio posted:

Oh trust me she's nooooowhere near Bitch's level. Just keep watching
Good to know, I'll do that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
She mellows out a lot.

Also try not to call female characters that.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Captain Invictus posted:

She mellows out a lot.

Also try not to call female characters that.
Fair enough. What do you lot call the worst characters, for both genders? I'm much newer to anime than I am to lurking in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
The anime fandom specific terminology of not calling women cunts