Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Basebf555 posted:

Nobody was really good. Odenkirk actually pulled it off.

I'm looking forward to seeing it. Glad to hear it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Nobody was really good. Odenkirk actually pulled it off.

too bad im deathly afraid of covid

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

brocked posted:

Since nobody's mentioned it so far, I am psyched to see Warrior got picked up for a 3rd season on HBO Max

Its easily my favorite series from the past few years and super psyched that it's coming back. The cast announcement was so cute, everyone was just so happy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

too bad im deathly afraid of covid

Me too, the movie is now out for rent, although it's the $20 "theater rental" price. I rarely spend that much for a rental but I was really looking forward to this one.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Me too, the movie is now out for rent, although it's the $20 "theater rental" price. I rarely spend that much for a rental but I was really looking forward to this one.

It's worth it. My wife and I watched it last night and it's really good. I appreciate when movies use Daniel Bernhardt as comic relief.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

B-Rock452 posted:

It's worth it. My wife and I watched it last night and it's really good. I appreciate when movies use Daniel Bernhardt as comic relief.

I have a crush on Mr Bernhardt after watching his interview with Scott Adkins. Daniel is just so charming :allears:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Where?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I watched it on Amazon Video.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nobody is solidly okay. The best setpiece is the fight in the first act of the film. The biggest problem is I don't think it properly balanced the two tones it was going for.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Christopher Lloyd is having the time of his life in Nobody. It was a fun movie.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
I really liked Nobody! I thought it was pretty drat funny, and I liked the variety of action sequences. That said, the final set piece was fun but ended in a really dumb way IMO.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
It half-forms ideas and has very obvious inspiration from John Wick, which is not a mark against it in this case since they share a screenwriter. Ultimately I wanted the movie to give me more about the nature of Hutch's program, training, background, so on, flesh out the world more the way the Wick movies do. Since that didn't happen Odenkirk had to do some heavy lifting, which thankfully he was up for.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Prince Myshkin posted:

It half-forms ideas and has very obvious inspiration from John Wick, which is not a mark against it in this case since they share a screenwriter. Ultimately I wanted the movie to give me more about the nature of Hutch's program, training, background, so on, flesh out the world more the way the Wick movies do. Since that didn't happen Odenkirk had to do some heavy lifting, which thankfully he was up for.

It's not so much taking inspiration from John Wick as it is the same script with a few nouns switched around, the same way 'Cellular' and 'Phone Booth were more or less the same film, or how the guy who wrote 'Death Wish' wrote like 4 other novels with the exact same plot.

It was fun, but the bus fight scene was a head and shoulders better scene than everything else in the movie. That was genuinely fantastic. The rest was good but never hit that high again.

Also, fun fact: the director was also the director (and one of the main stunt performers) of 'Hardcore Henry' the gimmick Russian POV film from a few years ago.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Snowman_McK posted:

It's not so much taking inspiration from John Wick as it is the same script with a few nouns switched around, the same way 'Cellular' and 'Phone Booth were more or less the same film, or how the guy who wrote 'Death Wish' wrote like 4 other novels with the exact same plot.

It was fun, but the bus fight scene was a head and shoulders better scene than everything else in the movie. That was genuinely fantastic. The rest was good but never hit that high again.

Also, fun fact: the director was also the director (and one of the main stunt performers) of 'Hardcore Henry' the gimmick Russian POV film from a few years ago.

Honestly I didn't even think it was that fun, everything just felt incredibly rote. The running gag with Odenkirk's monologues was the only bit that worked for me. Kind of a bummer

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

morestuff posted:

Honestly I didn't even think it was that fun, everything just felt incredibly rote. The running gag with Odenkirk's monologues was the only bit that worked for me. Kind of a bummer

Rote is actually a pretty good descriptor. A lot of it was by the numbers. Which is a shame, since the scenes where it found it's voice were loving great.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The problem is the gunplay didn't plagarize john wick enough

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

The problem is the gunplay didn't plagarize john wick enough

Or do anything of its own. There's lots of right ways to shoot (heh) a gunfight. Chad Stahelski, The Wachowskis, John Woo, Michael Mann, Johnnie To and Christopher McQuarrie just to name a few, have all found their own ways to do it. The finale shootout, with a few exceptions, felt like anyone could have directed it. RZA's sniper rifle fight was pretty loving cool, though.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

A John woo style would have honestly been the best fit for the film

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Dunno, I loved it, but it fits squarely in the genre of the secret badass, which is my favorite. The end kinda maybe was setting up a sequel, which I would be down for.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Just kinda? Did you watch the mid credits scene?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I mean if we're now going to compare gunplay in every action movie to John Wick we're gonna be forever disappointed. I kinda knew going in that the action wasn't going to be quite up to that level but Odenkirk brought a whole different element to the table that made it entertaining aside from just the action(and the action was very good, it just wasn't John Wick).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I mean if we're now going to compare gunplay in every action movie to John Wick we're gonna be forever disappointed.

John Woo beat it back in '90. But yeah, rare exception there. Wick is the current gold standard.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

brocked posted:

Just kinda? Did you watch the mid credits scene?

gently caress, I didn't know there was one.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The one blight on the wick movies is all the cg blood instead of real squibs and poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

The one blight on the wick movies is all the cg blood instead of real squibs and poo poo.

I see it as a necessary trade-off because the CG blood is mostly used to show gnarly headshots, and with squibs you really can't do that.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Basebf555 posted:

I see it as a necessary trade-off because the CG blood is mostly used to show gnarly headshots, and with squibs you really can't do that.

I love noticing goons in martial arts films wearing hats and caps. Guess where they're getting hit? :D

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I mean if we're now going to compare gunplay in every action movie to John Wick we're gonna be forever disappointed. I kinda knew going in that the action wasn't going to be quite up to that level but Odenkirk brought a whole different element to the table that made it entertaining aside from just the action(and the action was very good, it just wasn't John Wick).

Yeah, I felt the third act got a bit ragged (and the coda didn't fit) but Odenkirk's dark comedy seasonings and punctuations were what elevated it for me above the standard bloke-sploitation power fantasy flick.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Basebf555 posted:

I rewatched Total Recall (the proper one) at the weekend, and it was weirdly refreshing to see exploding squibs and bursting blood bags again. So many exploding squibs and bursting blood bags. Arnold shoots someone, and it's as if they have a dozen mortars filled with wet ground beef under their shirt.

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

Payndz posted:

I rewatched Total Recall (the proper one) at the weekend, and it was weirdly refreshing to see exploding squibs and bursting blood bags again. So many exploding squibs and bursting blood bags. Arnold shoots someone, and it's as if they have a dozen mortars filled with wet ground beef under their shirt.

R.I.P Escalator chump

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What's really cool about those old squibs is that they look like wet red shiny goop under there. Nothing like a real wound, which is great. It lets you enjoy it more.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody was good, I went into it knowing absolutely nothing so Bob Odenkirk turning out to be a secret badass was actually surprising. He definitely pulls it off.

That said, the bus fight was by far the best part, and everything else definitely came off as a John Wick knockoff. Which, in absence of the real thing is still good of course.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Which Hong Kong actioners do I need to watch then? I haven't seen Hard Boiled in probably 20 years now...

https://twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1385225205962919940?s=20

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Which Hong Kong actioners do I need to watch then? I haven't seen Hard Boiled in probably 20 years now...

Police Story and Police Story 2 are really good.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Besides the obvious Jackie Chan/Sammo/Shaw Brothers classics, these are my faves

Magnificent Warriors (1987)
The Mission (1999)
On the Run (1988)
Angel Terminators 2 (1993)
A Better Tomorrow 2 (1987)
Royal Warriors (1986)
Iron Angels (1987)
Full Contact (1992)
One Nite in Mongkok (2004)
The Brink (2017)
Killer Angels (1989)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Police Story and Police Story 2 are really good.

Again, not seen these in a looooong time.

dokmo posted:

Besides the obvious Jackie Chan/Sammo/Shaw Brothers classics, these are my faves

Magnificent Warriors (1987)
The Mission (1999)
On the Run (1988)
Angel Terminators 2 (1993)
A Better Tomorrow 2 (1987)
Royal Warriors (1986)
Iron Angels (1987)
Full Contact (1992)
One Nite in Mongkok (2004)
The Brink (2017)
Killer Angels (1989)

Hell yeah, now that's a fuckin' list!

Does Drive count as Hong Kong action despite being filmed in Canada or wherever it was? The whole crew was Hong Kong boys was it not? *edit: seems I'm mistaken on that one.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 22, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Does Drive count as Hong Kong action despite being filmed in Canada or wherever it was? The whole crew was Hong Kong boys was it not? *edit: seems I'm mistaken on that one.

Drive always counts. The print that's on Amazon Prime is a bit iffy, but it's coming out on Blu-Ray real soon so I'm holding off for a rewatch.

Watched 'Yes, Madam' recently. It has a weird shifting tone all the way through it, but so work watching for that end fight.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Thank you for reminding me to do my monthly Just Watch check for Hard Boiled. One day it will actually stream somewhere.

I have such great memories of that movie, I used to rent it from this super shady video store I could walk to and I remember my parents had to sign something on their membership that would allow me to rent rated R movies as a kid. That was the movie that really got me into action movies and definitely opened my eyes to more than just standard american movies.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Olympic Mathlete posted:

In the Line of Duty IV! It is maybe my favorite 80s HK action flick. It’s got great set pieces and fights all the way through and a stellar cast. It was on Amazon Prime last time I checked!

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Nobody was enjoyable. I don't think I could watch it again, though, because it's basically Boomer Dad Power Fantasy: The Movie.

Also, does anyone else remember the very first John Wick trailer where they called him The Nobody instead of Baba Yaga?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I really enjoyed mortal kombat, some solid jokes, the action was a cool mix of physical effects and CGI and they worked the iconic game stuff in pretty amusingly.

Some of the CGI is a bit wonky but overall a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I thought Mortal Kombat was ok. The addition of the new character seemed totally unnecessary, but I liked the overall tone. The repeated low kick scene was great.