Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I couldnt help but notice the person who did the "doxxing" had a positive post count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Bismuth posted:

I couldnt help but notice the person who did the "doxxing" had a positive post count

Another deep cover FYAD agent! :tinfoil:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I know this isn't exactly the thread for it but it's hardly the most off-topic thing ever either so here's Titanic guy too.

OldMemes posted:

This guy is OBBESSED with the Titanic, and posts about it and how great it was nearly every single day.

Jakabite posted:

That Titanic guy sounds incredibly...odd. Is there any particular reason he's so attached to the Titanic? Have you ever asked him?

OldMemes posted:

Just asked him, and got the incredibly insightful answer of "I just do".

:patriot:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

love titanic and firefighter guys

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Goddamn one of the mods in AI killed it when a poster In the EV thread was being a dick

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No one but the moderators gets to tell who can and cant post in a thread. Let me give you an example

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Indeed. Several people had by that point advised me the thread's new trends were making them very uncomfortable. :(

Here's firefighter guy though :3:

God bless you, firefighter guy.

He needs to fight the guy that claims firefighters are tools of fascism or whatever

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Cursed Water Cops, telling me I can't set fires....

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Charles posted:

I want that nozzle for watering my plants.

I found ones that look more like the real thing, but here's one that only women and children can use.

FilthyImp posted:

Goddamn one of the mods in AI killed it when a poster In the EV thread was being a dick

Poor CI broke his collarbone today and is hopped up on pain meds.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

lmao at firefighter guy

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

This is some powerful moderation right here.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

xtal posted:

They would have got away with it if they messaged the admins & didn't use it as a gotcha in an argument. Looks more like they were sitting on it for a while which is pretty gross.
Didn't the Taintrunner debacle demonstrate just how well messaging the admins about this sort of stuff works?

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

The Kins posted:

Didn't the Taintrunner debacle demonstrate just how well messaging the admins about this sort of stuff works?

I think the idea is that if you at least tried to message an admin first, it shows good faith. If they ignore it then posting it in threads or on QCS or something might be a reasonable next step

Also, all the people in that iosm thread who were defending the pedo poo poo or saying it was a normal part of being gay or trans should seriously be probed. I do not understand how a person could see some repulsive sex creep poo poo and think to themselves "oh that's fine, they're queer and they're all like that" and still consider themselves progressive

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

Generally in that case a "I messaged the admins about this 3 days ago, they took no action so here's the dirt" would give serious cover against anyone getting permabanned for doxxing for something like that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Another 100k probation just dropped. I feel like I hadn’t seen them in ages until the Guy Mann ones and it’s kind of fun seeing them in the leper’s colony again.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Another 100k probation just dropped. I feel like I hadn’t seen them in ages until the Guy Mann ones and it’s kind of fun seeing them in the leper’s colony again.

He's the guy who was being the white knight of pick in qcs who later turned on her

Apparently may be a huge fan of rape and sex assault jokes and then explaining to anyone offended that they are not rape and sex assault jokes at all

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
His extremely weird meltdown about vtubers and trans people in..whatever thread in RGD it was was uh..yeah..certainly something.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

I reverse image searched the picture he ate the 100k for and it didn't seem anywhere close to meriting the 100k so I was wondering. Apparently I don't share the same threads as our colleague.

vvvv Icarus flew too high, I see.

Rust Martialis has a new favorite as of 12:58 on Apr 19, 2021

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

I reverse image searched the picture he ate the 100k for and it didn't seem anywhere close to meriting the 100k so I was wondering. Apparently I don't share the same threads as our colleague.

It's Fluffdaddy's avatar.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just as a quick question, but isn't a 10,000 hour probation effectively a ban?

I know this is more the "posting about stuff that is going on in the forums" thread but I was wondering why bother with the extra long probe?

Thanks!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Josef bugman posted:

Just as a quick question, but isn't a 10,000 hour probation effectively a ban?

I know this is more the "posting about stuff that is going on in the forums" thread but I was wondering why bother with the extra long probe?

Thanks!

It’s effectively a perma, yeah, though there have been posters that come back at the end.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's like a permaban, but it's funnier.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Tenebrais posted:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

exactly this

A 100,000 hour probation is roughly 11 and a half years, it's functionally a permaban but it's way funnier.

If you're curious, probation lengths available for mods to queue go from 6 hours to 30 days and then jump straight from 30 days right to 100,000 hours :allears:

Harrow has a new favorite as of 15:05 on Apr 19, 2021

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
There should be options for 69 minute probations and 420 minute probations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Has anyone picked up a 100,000 hour probe in 2010, completed it as given, and resumed posting?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I know this isn't exactly the thread for it but it's hardly the most off-topic thing ever either so here's Titanic guy too.

]

:patriot:

you really should make a thread for these types of guys, i love them. make the rules be no politics, be normal, and no wishing death on them

discovered thsi guy a year ago

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Has anyone picked up a 100,000 hour probe in 2010, completed it as given, and resumed posting?

I could've sworn this came up in the mod forum recently but I can't find it. I think at least one person has posted after coming back from a 100k probation but I can't find who.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Somebody came back in the last couple months and summarily ate a ban.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Harrow posted:

I could've sworn this came up in the mod forum recently but I can't find it. I think at least one person has posted after coming back from a 100k probation but I can't find who.

Lungfish.

A 100,000 hour probe can still read the forums, so it’s kind of fun to imagine someone like Guy Mann lurking and just gettin’ mad, unable to post their hot takes.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The ultimate power move would be to post, 'As I was saying' and continue the argument you were banned for.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

It was a funny post that shouldn't have been probed imo

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
...Now go get your loving shine box. *Gets murked*

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lib and let die posted:

It was a funny post that shouldn't have been probed imo

I think it was more of a lifetime achievement award.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

VanSandman posted:

The ultimate power move would be to post, 'As I was saying' and continue the argument you were banned for.

I presume that due to the drift in the forums culture you may well end up being correct in the argument you were originally banned for.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

And don't get me wrong, I don't like EVD, but the Florf Father's meltdowns wouldn't be so hilarious if they weren't so easy to provoke.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My read on how 100k probes and permabans are used now is that it seems like 100k probations are sorta the new "lifetime achievement" perma. Permabans are for people doing illegal or really heinous poo poo, while 100k probations are for people who are just like, "okay, you haven't done anything truly permaban worthy but you have sucked really badly for a really long time, so go away and don't come back."

Yep, that's who I was thinking of, thanks!

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
very happy about the probation but also lol at the admins of this site

and the mods

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Harrow posted:

My read on how 100k probes and permabans are used now is that it seems like 100k probations are sorta the new "lifetime achievement" perma. Permabans are for people doing illegal or really heinous poo poo, while 100k probations are for people who are just like, "okay, you haven't done anything truly permaban worthy but you have sucked really badly for a really long time, so go away and don't come back."!

That makes sense. It fits the unholy trinity of of SCIENCE.../Guy Mann/Sleeveles to a T.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Who was/is Guy Mann?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Josef bugman posted:

Who was/is Guy Mann?

The range of depressive emotions you get from listening to that 3-hour long speech from Atlas Shrugged, manifested as a SA poster.