Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

It would be nice in the future to include a description of what these are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
The idea that the TV shows and movies are all under the same single umbrella of continuity is nice in theory but in terms of prestige the movies are probably going to be considerably more marketable.

They would never do event stories like Endgame or introduce characters like Black Panther and Spider-man in TV shows. At least for now I think the TV shows will be considered by Marvel as a few pegs below the movies.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ravel posted:

The idea that the TV shows and movies are all under the same single umbrella of continuity is nice in theory but in terms of prestige the movies are probably going to be considerably more marketable.

They would never do event stories like Endgame or introduce characters like Black Panther and Spider-man in TV shows. At least for now I think the TV shows will be considered by Marvel as a few pegs below the movies.

There'll definitely be crossover events of some kind, but they'll be TV events on a slightly different scale. Secret Wars is supposed to be a series isn't it?

Think Defenders but less awful.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Ravel posted:

Which probably means that the Wolverine rumors are nothing, unfortunately.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Which probably means that the Wolverine rumors are nothing, unfortunately.

Oh for gently caress's sake... The bar sign was an Easter egg, not a bloody ARG.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ravel posted:

Before December 2019, sure!

Post COVID, when every major release was streamed directly from Disney to your home...

Not to mention that previous MCU TV shows were very particular about their cast. These TV shows are literally the same cast with the same production values as the main films.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Ravel posted:

There should be half a Vibranium shield lying around from the Endgame fight. I wonder where that's ended up.

I've always thought that they picked the pieces and Steve asked the Wakandans to re-cast it. If not, then it doesn't make sense that a museum would want a shield that is brand new and never used by Captain America.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Presumably they'll only release into theaters the movies they think can make the most money. More people will go see Blade on name recognition than they will Armor Wars or Moon Knight.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've been assuming that long term the drivers of the tv shows have been dipping a toe into the changes in storytelling that streaming into homes presents opportunities for. You can release a 4 hour film with chapters if you want (although nobody will watch it to the end). You can make that single film story a 4 parter mini-series. A lot of the traditional assumptions of 'how long will someone sit in a cinema' and 'how many commercial breaks do we have runtime around' that have formed the basis of media for the last few decades have started to break down a bit.

There's also possibly an element of 'now we can film round the calendar as much as people are available' so they can squeeze as much value out of their IP as possible.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Snyder Cut would have done better financially as a 4 part HBO Max exclusive Mini-Series than it did in the box office.

EDIT: I'll just go ahead and say it, these movies work better as TV shows.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kal-L posted:

I've always thought that they picked the pieces and Steve asked the Wakandans to re-cast it. If not, then it doesn't make sense that a museum would want a shield that is brand new and never used by Captain America.

Steve didn't have a shield when he went time travelling to return the Stones and Mjolnir, and did have one when he came back. So he got it in the past or alternate universe (whichever you think it is). The museum isn't going to know, because they probably don't even know it was broken in the first place given where it happened. They also probably wouldn't care, because while Steve might not have used that shield in our timeline, he absolutely used it wherever he got it from.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giWIr7U1deA

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings trailer

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Also worth a reminder that Winter Soldier Bucky was defeated by Isaiah.

Winter Soldier Bucky is still comically dangerous but he has been soundly defeated by a Captain America at least twice.
I would die to see a flashback of Isaiah vs Bucky fight. It sounds as Isaiah was the best when it came to combat.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

twistedmentat posted:

There is no God but Walt and Kevin is his prophet.

Disneyu Akbar!

Now spring for your Disney rug (available for only $59.99 through Amazon!) and start praying toward Orlando.

Please note that I am not mocking Islam, but I absolutely am mocking the slavish devotion that Disney demands.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SgtSteel91 posted:

Parts of it look very good, but the big battle scene with the animals looks very "CGI-y" and shiny.

It's also bizarre to me that the lady who had a viral video rapping about her vagina 5 years ago is consistently starring in major movies now.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Looks like the fighting tournament rumors aren't true but looks great nonetheless.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Seedge posted:

It would be nice in the future to include a description of what these are.

The first is a review and recap of the most recent episode, the second is a timeline and summary of the various super soldier serums in the MCU. They're both very funny and worth watching because the hosts are charismatic Aussie blokes

(Not op)

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

SgtSteel91 posted:

I thought we were done with "only in theaters" when they caved about Black Widow?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

LegionAreI posted:

I thought we were done with "only in theaters" when they caved about Black Widow?

I think Shang-Chi was announced for Disney+ too. I imagine the teaser was already done before the annoucement. It's odd.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't think they announced it for D+. It'll probably depend on how Black Widow does and whether cinemas are a thing again later in the year.

live with fruit posted:

Looks like the fighting tournament rumors aren't true but looks great nonetheless.
There's definitely shots that look like a fighting tournament.

stev fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 19, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shang-Chi is not Disney Plus. Only MCU film is Black Widow.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SgtSteel91 posted:

I'm the morons at CBC who cancelled Simu Liu's longrunning, beloved sitcom three weeks before his Billion Dollar Movie trailer

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Parts of it look very good, but the big battle scene with the animals looks very "CGI-y" and shiny.

It's also bizarre to me that the lady who had a viral video rapping about her vagina 5 years ago is consistently starring in major movies now.

I'm only vaguely with Awkwafina from movie roles, so that's new to me but it's also kind of weird (in a cool way) that the star of Shang Chi, SImu Liu appears to have gotten Marvel's attention by posting on Twitter asking about starring in Shang Chi. I presume he was actually attending casting calls and poo poo as well, but it's still fun to think about regardless.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Disney is probably playing day by day with marvel movies on D+. Probably hoping that things will have improved enough by September so they can make it theatres only (it won't).

I'll bet that a month or two before release they'll announce that it's going to be on the service.

Is Eternals supposed to be this year too? I've lost track of what the releases are supposed to be with all the delays.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

stev posted:

There's definitely shots that look like a fighting tournament.

Yeah but the rumors were about an Enter the Dragon style focus. This looks more like first act/flashback stuff.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Ice-T has been solving sex mysteries for twenty years, becoming a famous rapper is usually only the first step to empirical greatness

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Veotax posted:

Disney is probably playing day by day with marvel movies on D+. Probably hoping that things will have improved enough by September so they can make it theatres only (it won't).

I'll bet that a month or two before release they'll announce that it's going to be on the service.

Is Eternals supposed to be this year too? I've lost track of what the releases are supposed to be with all the delays.

Yes Eternals and Spiderman are for this year.

Next year is Dr. Strange and Thor, I guess.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Companies are already getting more confident about movies in theaters. Especially after seeing Godzilla vs Kong make money even though it was on streaming much cheaper. By September they're not going to be releasing films simultaneously on Disney Plus anymore.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Isn’t there a Morbius movie in the works too?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SgtSteel91 posted:

That's the Sony/Venomverse. Which may or may not be linked to the MCU through the Spiderman films but probably isn't.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bust Rodd posted:

Ice-T has been solving sex mysteries for twenty years, becoming a famous rapper is usually only the first step to empirical greatness

I don't think Awkwafina was a household name for two decades like Ice-T was, though. She didn't even have an actual album when her video went viral. She got famous through her video and then became a famous rapper. She's only released 1 new album since 2014 and is almost entirely an actress now.

It's just impressive/bizarre that a viral video about how stanky your rival's vagina is and how amazing your own vagina is can lead to starring in multiple $300+ million feature movies in a really short amount of time.

She was cast in Oceans 8, the Jumanji Sequel, Crazy Rich Asians, The Farewell and Shang-chi in just over two years.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SgtSteel91 posted:

Morbius has been done for almost two years. Sony has held onto it because they weren't sure about what to do with the Spiderman Universe after 6 or 7 Spiderman universe movies in development got cancelled and then COVID happened.

It is still scheduled for release sometime in 2022.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I'm still thinking they don't have a lot of faith in the movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Spiderman-Universe-That-Doesn't-Include-Spiderman just seems like kind of an awkward mess in general.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

The Vulture cameo is gonna be odd if there's zero mention of any MCU events. Unless this is just world from the multiverse that happens to have no Spidey.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It feels like Sony starting their own football team that says its in the NFL and hoping one day the NFL just gives in.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Veotax posted:

This is absolutely what they're doing for all their upcoming theatrical releases, not just Marvel Studios films. note that Black Widow is a theatrical/Premier Access hybrid, whereas Jungle Cruise, releasing later the same month, is still officially theatrical-only for now. Right now, things are looking reasonably good for the viability of a theatrical-only release in September, let alone November, but that could change.

anyway who's ready for even more award-winning middle-aged actresses in the MCU

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1384177081832017937

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The only reason Black Widow is even a Disney+ release is because Marvel can't afford to delay it any longer from what I gather, so they're releasing it on Disney+ so they can maximize their returns before moving on with other projects in the slate that rely more on Black Widow. I would presume there'll be some major characters introduced in Black Widow slated to appear in another project over the summer, and it'd be weird if they just showed up without the audience having familiarity with them through Black Widow. I know Florence Pugh as Yelena Boleva, the new Black Widow, is set to appear in Hawkeye during the autumn at some point, and Contessa was set to appear in it too (though I'm not clear if she was originally only going to appear in that and not FATWS, or whether she was always set to appear in both and Black Widow was just supposed to be first), but if that was the only thing that you'd imagine that Disney/Marvel could put it off to July or something, so maybe someone from Black Widow will appear in Loki or Taskmaster or Red Guardian or someone else will appear in What If...?? Or maybe the end credits scene of Black Widow sets up more of the stuff happening over the rest of the year.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 19, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Desperado Bones posted:

The Vulture cameo is gonna be odd if there's zero mention of any MCU events.

I would be very surprised if Sony is allowed to use or reference anything from the MCU outside the Spider-Man films, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Desperado Bones posted:

The Vulture cameo is gonna be odd if there's zero mention of any MCU events. Unless this is just world from the multiverse that happens to have no Spidey.

Rumors claim Vulture mentions the Blip in Morbius.