Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I realized I had never seen any other Nightmare on Elm Street movies than Freddy vs Jason, and to fix that I got all the movies.

I understand that it's a pretty uneven series and not all of the movies are great, but are any "not even worth watching" bad?

I would say no, none of them are so bad that they're not worth checking out at least once.

If someone were to bring up a theoretical remake, I'd say hey let's stick to movies that actually exist ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I realized I had never seen any other Nightmare on Elm Street movies than Freddy vs Jason, and to fix that I got all the movies.

I understand that it's a pretty uneven series and not all of the movies are great, but are any "not even worth watching" bad?

Freddy’s Dead is a definite low point. Also the remake is despised. I finally got around to seeing it last year and I didn’t hate it as much as I thought based on how much it gets trashed but it’s still bad.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, even at Freddy's worse he's throwing around quips and doing really crazy and inventive kills. Some of the movies become a bit of a mess with that but they're not really bad watches.

Except the remake. But I think it justifies its existence by making people face the fact that Freddy was always a pedophile.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Unlike Halloween or Friday the 13th, the low entries of Nightmare still have bizarro inventive kills that make them well worth your time.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I think they're genuinely all worth watching, for sure, but you'll probably hit a lull around Parts 5 & 6.

I think Part 5 has a lot of really good stuff with the set design and the special effects, but the tone and cinematography is bonkers and dissonant from where the series began. This is when New Line had just had a huge hit with the TMNT movie, so there's a tonal shift towards comic book-y stuff and magical/dark fantasy where Freddy is a villain that must be conquered, and not a horrific boogeyman fueled by nightmares.

Personally I love 1-4 and will happily throw them on. Debating if they're "good films" is kind of boring to me these days, since the two the people say are "bad"--Parts 2 and 4--have some of my favorite things in the series.

The remake sucks. It has some good casting (Clancy Brown! Rooney Mara!), but there are two major story plots that make the entire thing a slog. It's not fun, it's kind of dreadful, and they don't "get" Freddy.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 19, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The remake is mind-numbingly boring, and I didn't think that was possible for a Nightmare movie. As has been said, even the worst ones have stuff like Freddy in a video game to at least keep you interested. I fell asleep during the remake three loving times.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I don't like 5 or 6 and I never really watch them these days but I wouldn't tell someone to skip them. If nothing else they're important to understanding the trajectory of the series and why it sort of ran it's course and petered out.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I would say that besides the remake they're all worth a watch and opinions vary but The Dream Child really tries my patience.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The remake is mind-numbingly boring, and I didn't think that was possible for a Nightmare movie. As has been said, even the worst ones have stuff like Freddy in a video game to at least keep you interested. I fell asleep during the remake three loving times.

Yeah, I didn't fall asleep 3 times, but being visited by Freddy himself would have been preferable to that slog, at least it would have ended my suffering

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I don't like 5 or 6 and I never really watch them these days but I wouldn't tell someone to skip them. If nothing else they're important to understanding the trajectory of the series and why it sort of ran it's course and petered out.

I like Part 5 as a sort of a thought experiment. It's so easy to say "Okay, I get the same performances, same set designs, same special effects, but I have to do something different with the camera." It's a great exercise in horror cinematography, because all of the choices are wrong and convey strange intent to the audience.

It's also sort of a pro-life movie. Like, the movie seems to say "Here's a situation that is a good example of why Pro-choice is important, but the main character is going to choose Life because her unborn child keeps throwing guilt trips at her."

There was apparently three different scripts, and the final product is cobbled together from all three, and you can really feel it.

I think Part 5 is fascinating as hell.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I would say that besides the remake they're all worth a watch and opinions vary but The Dream Child really tries my patience.

A 100% sit in the same place. I did a all day marathon of them at the Alamo years back and that was the movie that got me out of my seat and to the bar for a while.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
As an aside, why was Freddy's one arm so goddamn long at the beginning of part five?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I spent a solid 3 hours last night chugging espresso and hunting I Am No One. No dice. Im starting to feel like it doesnt exist. My quest continues.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I rewatched most of them because I was listening to the With Gourley And Rust podcast season that went through every single movie. I highly recommend it. It's a casual approach to the series, and most of them are new films for the hosts. They bring a lot of fun insights to the series.

Faculty of Horror also did a 2 part episode series on the entire franchise as well.

I wish I could get the series on blu-ray. I know that there's a pretty affordable set with all of them, but it's pretty barebones? I feel like as soon as I buy it, Shout's gonna announce an amazing box set for them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Also, all of the DVDs and Blu-rays have the edited version of part five. I actually had the uncut version on VHS years ago and I have no idea what happened to it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

As an aside, why was Freddy's one arm so goddamn long at the beginning of part five?

He spoopy

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Same reason he has a long arm at the beginning of Part 1?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

I spent a solid 3 hours last night chugging espresso and hunting I Am No One. No dice. Im starting to feel like it doesnt exist. My quest continues.

are you looking for a physical copy of it?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

dorium posted:

are you looking for a physical copy of it?

No just any way to watch it in the bare minimum watchable quality.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

The remake sucks. It has some good casting (Clancy Brown! Rooney Mara!), but there are two major story plots that make the entire thing a slog. It's not fun, it's kind of dreadful, and they don't "get" Freddy.

To be honest Freddy is really hard to "get" and I think it all hinges on Englund's unique performance. Haley is a decent actor but threading the needle on Freddy is really difficult imo. I mean how do you make it so you cheer for the wacky antics of a demonic child murderer (or molester)? The original story is set up like a morality tale where the children of Elm street pay for their parent's sin of forming a lynch mob and killing someone, but if you look at the numbers (Fred Kreuger killed TWENTY children on Elm street already) and the fact that he was hilariously let free on a technicality I'm totally on the parent's side. I mean at that point he's so dangerous they'd be irresponsible not to take action, he's like an existential threat to the whole community. So I kind of like that the remake tried (and failed) to frame him a little more understandably by raising the possibility that the parents may have killed an innocent man, but they problem is nobody wants Freddy to be innocent really. They want him to be a quippy demon from hell.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 19, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

To be honest Freddy is really hard to "get" and I think it all hinges on Englund's unique performance. Haley is a decent actor but threading the needle on Freddy is really difficult imo. I mean how do you make it so you cheer for the wacky antics of a demonic child murderer (or molester)? The original story is set up like a morality tale where the children of Elm street pay for their parent's sin of forming a lynch mob and killing someone, but if you look at the numbers (Fred Kreuger killed TWENTY children on Elm street already) and the fact that he was hilariously let free on a technicality I'm totally on the parent's side. I mean at that point he's so dangerous they'd be irresponsible not to take action, he's like an existential threat to the whole community. So I kind of like that the remake tried (and failed) to frame him a little more understandably by raising the possibility that the parents may have killed an innocent man, but they problem is no body wants Freddy to be innocent really. They want him to be a quippy demon from hell.

This is why NOES is a series where the development and trajectory over time is important to recognize. Englund tweaks his performance and ratchets up the goofiness to different degrees in each sequel, and there was a natural progression there that you can't just reproduce in a single remake. Someone coming into the role can't just jump immediately to imitating Part 6 Freddy but you can't really do what Haley did either because people are used to some humor in there and they didn't really want to go all the way back to Serious Freddy.

The truth is what many people have been saying over the years, which is that the role is 100% Englund's and any attempt to reproduce that magic is going to fall flat. It's pointless to try.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just want a Nightmare movie that goes full surreal for the entire movie. You're never quite sure whether or not the characters are awake or dreaming and neither are they. Something that goes hard for the mind-bending nature of dreams for the length of it rather than just for a sequence.

And I know I'm risking being Mr. No Fun for saying it, but I also want hard and fast rules for how it works ala Inception. Does it matter whose dream you're inside? Can Freddy kill only in dreams or also the real world? How do the people in the real world respond to the unexplainable, fantastical deaths? How does lucid dreaming affect things, micronaps, sleeping pills, etc? For me these movies are a bit tough because the rules are constantly changing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

To be honest Freddy is really hard to "get" and I think it all hinges on Englund's unique performance. Haley is a decent actor but threading the needle on Freddy is really difficult imo. I mean how do you make it so you cheer for the wacky antics of a demonic child murderer (or molester)? The original story is set up like a morality tale where the children of Elm street pay for their parent's sin of forming a lynch mob and killing someone, but if you look at the numbers (Fred Kreuger killed TWENTY children on Elm street already) and the fact that he was hilariously let free on a technicality I'm totally on the parent's side. I mean at that point he's so dangerous they'd be irresponsible not to take action, he's like an existential threat to the whole community. So I kind of like that the remake tried (and failed) to frame him a little more understandably by raising the possibility that the parents may have killed an innocent man, but they problem is no body wants Freddy to be innocent really. They want him to be a quippy demon from hell.

I think it's interesting to pursue that plot-line--Was Freddy wrongfully accused and a victim of misguided vigilantism?--but not in the same film that clearly codes him as a child rapist and every interaction he has in very rape-heavy.

Freddy's always been lecherous, and his threats have always been low-key sexual. The psychosexual imagery and threats are an aspect of him, for sure. But when you make it overt, and the sexual/rape threats overt, you've lost a lot of leeway the audience has to enjoy the threat the villain carries with the characters.

"I'm your boyfriend now Nancy", and the phone-tongue lapping at her is now Freddy climbing on top of a drugged girl, who he has dressed in lingerie, as he says "I'm gonna rape you a bunch before I kill you, just like I raped you when you were a child."

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...???

feedmyleg posted:

I just want a Nightmare movie that goes full surreal for the entire movie. You're never quite sure whether or not the characters are awake or dreaming and neither are they. Something that goes hard for the mind-bending nature of dreams for the length of it rather than just for a sequence.

And I know I'm risking being Mr. No Fun for saying it, but I also want hard and fast rules for how it works ala Inception. Does it matter whose dream you're inside? Can Freddy kill only in dreams or also the real world? How do the people in the real world respond to the unexplainable, fantastical deaths? How does lucid dreaming affect things, micronaps, sleeping pills, etc? For me these movies are a bit tough because the rules are constantly changing.

I also want this. I may revisit the F13 series the most, I may love the original Halloween most, but if I could make any horror film, it'd be a NOES with this as the main idea.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 19, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s so loving gross.

Also they kept running through old lines like “how’s this for a wet dream” and that “eyes say no no” bit from Freddy vs Jason.

Also they took the welcome to my world bitch and Freddy’s death from Freddy Vs Jason too...so weird.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I never really clicked with NoES like I have other slasher franchises.

I love Friday, Texas Chainsaw, Chucky, Halloween etc. I love p much all the movies in each franchise, or find something good about them. But the only NoES movie I actually like and will rewatch is Dream Warriors. The rest ive seen but arent interested in watching again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I understand what the remake was doing but I think its overthinking the situation. It doesn't matter if you think the parents were justified in murdering someone. They're only barely characters in Nightmare. The kids are being preyed upon by a monster created by their parents' actions. The monster doesn't have to be sympathetic. The parents don't have to be evil. They're poo poo created something evil to prey on the kids and they're ignoring it now. That's the rub.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

I never really clicked with NoES like I have other slasher franchises.

I love Friday, Texas Chainsaw, Chucky, Halloween etc. I love p much all the movies in each franchise, or find something good about them. But the only NoES movie I actually like and will rewatch is Dream Warriors. The rest ive seen but arent interested in watching again.

I would recommend re-watching Part 4 sometime. It really clicked with me in a good way the last time I rewatched it. It carries a lot of energy Dream Warriors has, and it has Renny Harlin's direction, but without the narrative cohesion that 3 brought to Nancy and her dad.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I have a plane ride on Wednesday so Ill rewatch part 4 then and post my thoughts!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

I think it's interesting to pursue that plot-line--Was Freddy wrongfully accused and a victim of misguided vigilantism?--but not in the same film that clearly codes him as a child rapist and every interaction he has in very rape-heavy.

Yeah, it's a horrible idea that nobody should ever make a movie around—but taking it the extra step is an interesting thought experiment. Exploring the implications of a bunch of kids who banded together and falsely accused Mean Old Mr. Kruger of something that in their naivete they didn't understand the implications of at such a young age, haunted by their guilt as he comes back from the dead and takes revenge on them. It'd be a really interesting dynamic where both sides are sympathetic.

Buy that's just not something anyone should ever put out into the world. It'd be the Mens Rights Activist of films that regardless of intention would imply a questioning of victims/accusers.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 19, 2021

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I understand what the remake was doing but I think its overthinking the situation. It doesn't matter if you think the parents were justified in murdering someone. They're only barely characters in Nightmare. The kids are being preyed upon by a monster created by their parents' actions. The monster doesn't have to be sympathetic. The parents don't have to be evil. They're poo poo created something evil to prey on the kids and they're ignoring it now. That's the rub.

It also forgot that the huge appeal with the Nightmare movies, and why people bought tickets again and again, was they are great technical showcases for physical effects, gore, and creative kills that defy traditional slasher kills.

None of the kills are creative, there's no flourish to them. You'd think there'd be at least a bunch of attempts to use CGI for them, but no, they just use CGI to recreate effects from the original, just shittier. I WISH it had some dumb-rear end CGI stuff to look at, if it were being used to do something bonkers or creative.

Nope. Freddy just walking up to people and using his claw. Meh.

Kvlt! posted:

I have a plane ride on Wednesday so Ill rewatch part 4 then and post my thoughts!

Hell yeah!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only good kill is the one where Freddy’s like “the human brain takes 10 minutes to die, so we have 7 minutes to play” or whatever.

Real creepy moment. But otherwise blah.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I only like 1-4 and New Nightmare

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

The only good kill is the one where Freddy’s like “the human brain takes 10 minutes to die, so we have 7 minutes to play” or whatever.

Real creepy moment. But otherwise blah.

I used to like the webcam kill, but then it was pointed out to me "How did this get uploaded?" and that one got ruined, too.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Freddy's always been lecherous, and his threats have always been low-key sexual. The psychosexual imagery and threats are an aspect of him, for sure. But when you make it overt, and the sexual/rape threats overt, you've lost a lot of leeway the audience has to enjoy the threat the villain carries with the characters.

"I'm your boyfriend now Nancy", and the phone-tongue lapping at her is now Freddy climbing on top of a drugged girl, who he has dressed in lingerie, as he says "I'm gonna rape you a bunch before I kill you, just like I raped you when you were a child."

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...???

Yeah I agree, but when I was watching it there was a point where one of the kids accuses his parent of killing an innocent man and at the point they haven't done all the hosed up stuff you describe so I was momentarily interested, but they dump it almost immediately. I think if they had committed to the innocent man thing the movie would still be pretty bland but it wouldn't be as offensively bad.

Basebf555 posted:

This is why NOES is a series where the development and trajectory over time is important to recognize. Englund tweaks his performance and ratchets up the goofiness to different degrees in each sequel, and there was a natural progression there that you can't just reproduce in a single remake. Someone coming into the role can't just jump immediately to imitating Part 6 Freddy but you can't really do what Haley did either because people are used to some humor in there and they didn't really want to go all the way back to Serious Freddy.

The truth is what many people have been saying over the years, which is that the role is 100% Englund's and any attempt to reproduce that magic is going to fall flat. It's pointless to try.

This is what I was trying to originally say but put more concisely.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Franchescanado posted:

It also forgot that the huge appeal with the Nightmare movies, and why people bought tickets again and again, was they are great technical showcases for physical effects, gore, and creative kills that defy traditional slasher kills.

None of the kills are creative, there's no flourish to them. You'd think there'd be at least a bunch of attempts to use CGI for them, but no, they just use CGI to recreate effects from the original, just shittier. I WISH it had some dumb-rear end CGI stuff to look at, if it were being used to do something bonkers or creative.

Nope. Freddy just walking up to people and using his claw. Meh.

There's no better example of this than comparing the "Freddy stretching the ceiling" bit from the original to the one in the remake.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I still have never seen New Nightmare for some reason.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That is a crime. You are a criminal.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

anatomi posted:

Actually Halloween (2020, delayed to 2021) and Halloween (2021, delayed to 2022).

H(2O)2

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I love that the Halloween series now has five separate continuities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, it's a horrible idea that nobody should ever make a movie around—but taking it the extra step is an interesting thought experiment. Exploring the implications of a bunch of kids who banded together and falsely accused Mean Old Mr. Kruger of something that in their naivete they didn't understand the implications of at such a young age, haunted by their guilt as he comes back from the dead and takes revenge on them. It'd be a really interesting dynamic where both sides are sympathetic.

Buy that's just not something anyone should ever put out into the world. It'd be the Mens Rights Activist of films that regardless of intention would imply a questioning of victims/accusers.

Going the children falsely accused without grasping the implications smacks closer to McMarten and the old Satanic Panic than anything.