Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Turning this game off.

On the one hand, there's no shame in losing to the #3 (soon to be #1) team on the road. That's an expected outcome tbh.

On the other hand, being up 11-0 and then 14-6 and choking it away is ridiculous. The sixth inning mess might be the worst inning Dave Van Horn has had as the manager here. Wrong decisions all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Oregon sure has some Oregon-rear end jerseys

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Letter gave up back to back home runs to Tennessee yesterday. He gave up 3 runs in 6.1 innings, Vanderbilt losing 8-4

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Four straight SEC series wins for the Cocks now, with the latest taking two of three from LSU on the road this weekend. Great showing so far, but the schedule is somehow going to get even more difficult from here.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

We took the series against Ole Miss this weekend and my god the atmosphere at the Dude looked insane. Also, y'all may not know it yet but Landon Sims is the best closer in college baseball. This dude is near about untouchable. 24.1 IP, 0.37 ERA, 47 Ks, and opponents hitting 0.133 against him. Ole Miss has some really good bats and both times Sims came in he made them look helpless. Just totally dominant.

https://twitter.com/HailStateBB/status/1383907013206306821?s=20

Context - this was the rubber match yesterday. Bases loaded and Tanner Allen up to bat in a tied game. He scorches a bases-clearing triple out to right-center and the place explodes.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I wonder what percentage of that crowd is vaccinated

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

I wonder what percentage of that crowd is vaccinated

I'd set the O/U at 5%, but you've got to consider this is God's Country and the Spirit of Baseball is watching over these folks.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Yeah, Mississippi is going for herd immunity/mass death at this point.

Tech took the series at WVU, which is good because while the Mountaineers aren't great, we for some reason struggle in Morgantown.

Tech's big issue this season has been injuries. We're down a Nuese, likely for the season, and it seems like Birdsell's shoulder is effed and he's going to miss time. We were already missing 3 potential starting pitchers to TJ's surgeries.

It's interesting that we're saying, "ah, this is gonna be a down year" and that we'll be happy with a regional and chance to host a super. Tech's currently 3 games back of both UT and TCU for the Big XII race, so has a bit to make up to repeat as Big XII reg season champ.

Interesting season so far, though.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I'd ask who hurt you, Notre Dame, but I think we all have a pretty good idea

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

(hosed up the attachment)

(also ND is frustratingly really good this year)

(still though)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The uniforms aren't terrible but the golden helmet is awful.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Popete posted:

The uniforms aren't terrible but the golden helmet is awful.

Having watched plenty of Notre Dame football from their dull dijon mustard helmet days, I happen to appreciate the very shiny gold leaf look.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

We used to run the metallic gold helmets in the Egg Bowl. Baller move imo, nothing but respect

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 23, 2021

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Arkansas won a tough series away to South Carolina on our third straight week with a double header. Getting tired of those lol.

Kopps out of the bullpen was massive. In the two wins, he retired all 15 batters he saw, 12 of them by strikeout. If Kumar hadn’t had a complete game with 3 hit/1 ER to the #4 team, I would say that it would be SEC Pitcher of the Week performance.

Never dreamed Arkansas would be 6-0 on series with 13 conference wins at this point. Tbh I thought 17 conference wins, which is still pretty good, might be the ceiling for the team but at this point I would be disappointed not to get to 20.

Remaining series @LSU, vs UGA, @TENN, vs FLA. LSU on paper should be a win but I can’t help but feel like the upset is coming. Also wish the TENN series was at home, but destiny lined up so all of our toughest series were on the road this year.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Fairfield is 24-0 on the year.
https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1386099064387694596?s=20
edit: 26-0 after they swept that doubleheader

elentar fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 25, 2021

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

chaoslord posted:

Kopps out of the bullpen was massive. In the two wins, he retired all 15 batters he saw, 12 of them by strikeout. If Kumar hadn’t had a complete game with 3 hit/1 ER to the #4 team, I would say that it would be SEC Pitcher of the Week performance.

Called my shot here, SEC gave them both Co-. Last week Goodheart got a National player of the week award and couldn’t even make SEC Co-, this week Kopps gets a National pitcher of the week award and the league graciously awarded him a Co-. Fun stuff.

Vandy and Arkansas are locked into a knife fight for 1 and 2 in the SEC, should be a fun last four weeks

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Texas Tech dropped another series to a not great team for seemingly no reason.

This year's team is just struggling to find any sort of consistency right now.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

chaoslord posted:

Vandy and Arkansas are locked into a knife fight for 1 and 2 in the SEC, should be a fun last four weeks

No doubt these two have separated themselves from the rest of the SEC. I feel like we're a rung below with the likes of OM/Tenn/SC. All of these teams could make some serious noise in the post season, though.

We managed to grab a nice W against a better Vandy squad this weekend and actually gave Leiter one of his worst starts of the season. Going into last weekend, I told myself all we needed was to not get swept, and we managed that. We're now comfortably on the downhill portion of our regular season schedule and, barring a total collapse, should put together a very respectable SEC record. I guess host sites will be selected in the next few weeks as well? Will be interesting to see how this goes. If we win the remainder of our SEC series, I feel like we've got a very solid shot to secure a national seed.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Traitorous Leopard posted:

No doubt these two have separated themselves from the rest of the SEC. I feel like we're a rung below with the likes of OM/Tenn/SC. All of these teams could make some serious noise in the post season, though.

We managed to grab a nice W against a better Vandy squad this weekend and actually gave Leiter one of his worst starts of the season. Going into last weekend, I told myself all we needed was to not get swept, and we managed that. We're now comfortably on the downhill portion of our regular season schedule and, barring a total collapse, should put together a very respectable SEC record. I guess host sites will be selected in the next few weeks as well? Will be interesting to see how this goes. If we win the remainder of our SEC series, I feel like we've got a very solid shot to secure a national seed.

I know y’all lost a series so of course you got moved down (although I don’t believe splitting 2-1 with Vandy should require any drop, just know how the rankers think), but I have no idea why y’all slipped two spots to #6 in D1 Baseball or why TCU jumped ahead of y’all. For my money y’all are a top 3 team and I am glad we have already played you, I don’t think we would win all 3 if we played again this weekend. Since they are picking the host sites on May 10th, there’s no way you get left out of hosting a super regional unless y’all get swept by A&M this weekend or somethin else ridiculous.

SEC is scary. If Arkansas drops a series and if Vandy drops another then all of a sudden things are wide open again. That second tier you mention is definitely more of a 1b than a 2.

Obviously Arkansas being good helps but the conference as a whole being so strong means I have watched more college baseball this year than I ever have before. Feels nice

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

chaoslord posted:

I know y’all lost a series so of course you got moved down (although I don’t believe splitting 2-1 with Vandy should require any drop, just know how the rankers think), but I have no idea why y’all slipped two spots to #6 in D1 Baseball or why TCU jumped ahead of y’all. For my money y’all are a top 3 team and I am glad we have already played you, I don’t think we would win all 3 if we played again this weekend. Since they are picking the host sites on May 10th, there’s no way you get left out of hosting a super regional unless y’all get swept by A&M this weekend or somethin else ridiculous.

SEC is scary. If Arkansas drops a series and if Vandy drops another then all of a sudden things are wide open again. That second tier you mention is definitely more of a 1b than a 2.

Obviously Arkansas being good helps but the conference as a whole being so strong means I have watched more college baseball this year than I ever have before. Feels nice

Same man. It's a shame college baseball doesn't have a bigger following, cause it's such a great sport.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Same man. It's a shame college baseball doesn't have a bigger following, cause it's such a great sport.

I didn't start following CBB until my team got good, and frankly, it makes me sad that I missed out on it during my college years. It's the best form of baseball where smallball is still a thing, pitchers can fall apart at any moment, and the number of teams involved that matter is "just right" vs the MLB's too few and MILB's doesn't matter anyway.

Honestly, make me president of the world and I'd work to restructure both the MLB and the NBA and their associated minor leagues to more closely resemble NCAA's baseball structure combined with a promotion/relegation structure like European Soccer's.

Up to 120 teams in the top league feeding into a 64 team tournament of double elim regionals, 3 game supers, double elim quarter/semi, and a 5 game final.

If we want to drop total teams into the 60's, we could drop down to a 32 team tournament with a 4 team double elimination semifinal where the winners bracket team and the losers bracket team play first to 3 win final with the winner's bracket team starting with 1 win already.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Attending college games in person is great, usually very cheap and it’s real easy to head back to the car for the beers they’re not selling

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Yep, some of my fondest memories in school took place behind the RF wall at The Dude. I haven’t been back since we built the new stadium, really gotta change that.

When I was in school, each person was allowed to bring their own cooler filled with whatever if you were in the outfield. Some of the drunkest I’ve ever been took place behind that RF wall too lmao

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
There was one spot in Texas Tech's outfield (way down the left field line) that hosted about 10 feet of 3 row bleachers and a gate that was open to whoever. I will say that I would duck in there on my way back from classes if there was an afternoon game going. Never stayed long, but was kinda a fun memory maker.

I also have a number of baseballs floating around my junk pile (or did have, they may be lost to the ages now) that I picked up while walking to the commuter lot after class. I know one was from a TCU batting practice, as I caught it on the bounce, pocketed the ball, and then watched a TCU player wandering around the street & lot outside the stadium looking for the ball.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Rubber match w Vandy today. Didn’t expect us to touch Leiter for 7R yesterday but who the hell even knows anymore.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

My gators took the series. I think I speak for all of us when I say, “what the gently caress?”

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

LeeMajors posted:

My gators took the series. I think I speak for all of us when I say, “what the gently caress?”

Thank you for your service :patriot:

Thanks to Arkansas' 4th double header weekend in a row that got split 2-1, we needed some breathing room against Vandy and this provided it. Arkansas is now 1 game ahead of Vandy for the regular season championship despite being 7-0 in series compared to Vandy's 5-2. Second ever series win in Baton Rouge for the Hogs! Good stuff, good stuff.

Hosting Georgia, Away to #5 Tenn, Home to #10 Florida to finish. Would say at least one of these should be easy but Georgia is one of the two teams to beat Vandy, sooooooo

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Texas Tech, a week after dropping 2 to a middling Baylor team at home, takes the series against a very highly ranked UT in Austin.

This Tech team has no idea what they are. It does seem like we're going to hover right around that #10 range, in position to host a regional. Regional site selections are going to be announced next Monday, so taking the series vs Texas was big for that. We'll get no help from our Q3 opponent UIC next weekend, nor our Q2 mid-week, neutral-site, non-conference game vs OU, so hopefully that was enough.

What'll be really interesting is how much prediction of the final seeds they do, vs quality of stadium, geographic spread, or any other factors. Like will they give a host spot to FSU, who is having an OK, ~20 ranked season over a 10-16 mid-major like ECU or La Tech? Or can RPI darlings ODU or Charlotte even get a sniff at a host site? Did 28-1 Fairfield even bother submitting a bid?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Kumar Rocker for Vandy had 10 Ks in the first three innings today. What are you even supposed to do against that? Lol I know Bama scored three in the third still but he got the first 7 batters he faced and then cleaned up his own mess after that. Just... man

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

https://twitter.com/delatorre/status/1391145958763909124?s=21

Good way to win a series imo

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Umpire in Arkansas/Georgia got hurt, ~15 minute delay, Pallette (starting pitcher) struggled to adapt to new strike zone and then this happened

https://twitter.com/OtisKirk23/status/1391193101541195784

Gave up an in the park two run shot on a ball that was a weak grounder to back to the pitcher. Made the game 3-3, now Georgia up 5-3 heading into the 8th and the Arkansas bats just don't look like they've got it tonight.

Gotta win the rubber match tomorrow, but Georgia moved their lineup so their #1 guy is going tomorrow. Might lose our hold on #1 in the country and SEC.

EDIT: SEC Combined Standings

Arkansas 16-7
Vandy 16-7
Miss State 16-7
Tenn 16-7
Florida 15-9
Ole Miss 14-9

Man we swept Miss State and they're still right here with us, those dang double headers were the death of Arkansas this is definitely excuse making, just frustrated with losing to a bad georgia team

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 9, 2021

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

chaoslord posted:

Umpire in Arkansas/Georgia got hurt, ~15 minute delay, Pallette (starting pitcher) struggled to adapt to new strike zone and then this happened

https://twitter.com/OtisKirk23/status/1391193101541195784

Gave up an in the park two run shot on a ball that was a weak grounder to back to the pitcher. Made the game 3-3, now Georgia up 5-3 heading into the 8th and the Arkansas bats just don't look like they've got it tonight.

Gotta win the rubber match tomorrow, but Georgia moved their lineup so their #1 guy is going tomorrow. Might lose our hold on #1 in the country and SEC.

EDIT: SEC Combined Standings

Arkansas 16-7
Vandy 16-7
Miss State 16-7
Tenn 16-7
Florida 15-9
Ole Miss 14-9

Man we swept Miss State and they're still right here with us, those dang double headers were the death of Arkansas this is definitely excuse making, just frustrated with losing to a bad georgia team

We managed to throw away the Sunday sweep against SC so y'all still got a game on us. Tied with Tenn of all teams for the conference currently. I do like our schedule the rest of the way compared to y'all, though, so if we win what we're supposed to and y'all stumble, we could still end up regular season co/champs.

Man you could just tell watching that Sunday game that SC wanted it worse than us even though both teams left some double-digit number of runners stranded. Still, a road series win against a very solid squad is hard to beat. I believe that will be enough to pretty much guarantee us a national seed.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/1392174803352793094?s=20

this sucks not least because "Gunnar Hoglund" scores so high on the name tool

but what an awful time for it on top of that

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Man that's awful, hope he still gets to go in the 1st round, but I guess that depends on what recovery looks like and teams may not have enough time between surgery and the draft to tell.

There's rumblings that Leiter is getting shut down for the year, too.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I do like our schedule the rest of the way compared to y'all, though, so if we win what we're supposed to and y'all stumble, we could still end up regular season co/champs.

Yeah I know a win in hand is worth two in the bush or whatever, but I would much rather be any of the other teams on our doorstep schedule wise

Arkansas (17-7): @ TENN, vs FLA
Tenn (17-7): vs ARK, @ SC
Vandy (16-7): @ MISS, vs UK
Miss State (16-8): vs MIZ, @ BAMA

It's gonna be a brutal final two weeks jockeying for position. We are 8-0 in series but because we won 7 of them 2-1 (gonna blame the four double headers lol), we could slip from the #1 seed to the #4 seed in our conference even if we split our two remaining sets. SEC too good plz nerf.

Feel awful for Gunnar Hoglund. I know TJ surgery has come a long way and that Andrews is probably the guy you want to see if you are getting it, but that's an awful way to end. Vandy probably should shut down Leiter to avoid the same fate, seems like he has been dealing with arm pain more and more recently.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Tech's mid-season non-conference series vs UCI was cancelled due to covid. Actually might increase Tech's overall SoS to not play that.

Tech seems to be solidly in the host spots, at this stage, and just remains to be seen what seed they get. Saw one projection at 10 overall seed, opposite Arizona's 7 seed. Enjoyed that UConn got sent back to Lubbock in that projection, after being swept 4 games near the start of the season.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

https://twitter.com/ncaacws/status/1393234982563426306?s=21

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

UVA pitched a combined no hitter today in a 17-0 win today, Andrew Abbott had 16 strikeouts in 7 1/3 and the bullpen finished up from there.

ACC has been super weird this year what with Notre Dame probably being the best team and Pitt the only other potential regional host; everyone else has been beating up on each other so much that the league will still probably place at least a team or two in the NCAAs that doesn't make the ACCT field, and Virginia is one of those pushing to get in.

elentar fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 15, 2021

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Lordy that's a lotta K's

We managed to screw around and drop the game last night, so our series with Mizzou comes down to today's game. Despite their record, they've played us fairly well (on top of us struggling some). I think we needed a sweep here if we wanted to challenge Arkansas for the SEC regular season title, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Max Ferguson have my babies