Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

LODGE NORTH posted:

I recently got some DT 770s. The combination of my hair and also my enormous head, they just barely fit, but also not at all. The best analogy I can think of for how they fit is when someone is wearing a button up shirt that is too small, but technically they have the buttons together.

If I try to wear both cups, my earlobe falls out of them but I can also position it so the lobe can uncomfortably fold up inside.

Is there any sorta quick hack to fix this somewhat? If I sorta of pinch the headphones downward, it fits perfectly, but on its own, nada. Should I just get different headphones altogether?

Pad rolling for comfort. On my Beyer Custom Ones I use ZMF Ori pads in lambskin https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/ori-pads

Eighty bucks a pair. Note the ear cavity dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would just get different headphones personally. There are a lot of headphones in the world, starting from some that at least sorta work seems like a better move unless they sound incredible to you or something.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

If it's purely a comfort thing... Sennheiser HD560S are pretty loving comfy and don't need any adjustments. Just saying.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
My suggestion would be to shave your head down a bit. Use a vegetable peeler and stop when you smell burnt toast.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

My suggestion would be to shave your head down a bit. Use a vegetable peeler and stop when you smell burnt toast.

Pro lifehack right here. Also don't be afraid to trim your ears a bit with a pair of scissors.

Little known fact: the best IEM seal is achieved with gentle taps from a ball hammer.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

just remember not to pull your IEMs out with the cord as that can break the delicate cables, instead you should extract them with needle nose pliers

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Schiit's offered an exchange so we'll see if a different unit doesn't have the same issue.

The new unit arrived and after some more testing it no longer has the distortion I was mentioning last time, which is great! However it does still seem to have the fuzzy interference at high volumes. With what I've tried I believe I can conclude that the issue is... the USB source to my computer.

I can have the Asgard plugged into my computer - whether directly into one of its USB ports or into the powered USB hub connected to my computer, and I'll get the interference at high volumes no matter where the unit is, what plug or power strip the AC is plugged into, or which USB port or power hub I use on the computer.

Meanwhile, I can have everything in the exact same place, except the Asgard is plugged into a laptop very nearby, and no interference at any volume level. A Schiit Hel in the same system at the same time has no such issue. I can move the laptop or the Asgard itself around and never pick up interference while it's plugged into the laptop.

So. I'm not entirely sure I know how I can solve this issue. The USB hub I have is an AUKEY Powered Hub, in case it turns out that one is lovely or something.

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 19, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Stop buying garbage schiit products

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I thought being an audiophile was all about buying pointless Schiit

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I have a Valhalla 2 which I mean was a cool tube amp and all, but it would occasionally pick up this buzzing noise. I also would have some random issues with the Modi not being recognized by Windows or not outputting sound. I've just come to the conclusion that Schiit is nice for dipping your toes into "should I get a DAC/AMP?" but you should move on to JDS or something.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
yes, clearly a decade of extremely strong market performance is wrong :rolleyes:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

they were a cleverly marketed company selling decent products at reasonable prices compared to what else existed a decade ago

today there's companies like JDS and Topping making better stuff at the same prices, and fuckin $10 dongles that perform as well as anyone needs

Schiit has a long history of poor quality and engineering and it's not 2010 anymore, there's no reason to waste money rolling the dice on their poo poo

Plenty of people are happy with their Chrysler products and they continue to sell, that doesn't make recommending them over alternatives or getting defensive about their poor quality reasonable

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
schiit is fine if you want a decent audio thing and it absolutely has to be made in america.

the problem is that asian audiophilia has absolutely blown the gently caress up in the last 10 years and schiit is no longer remotely competitive, especially with all that fancy THX stuff out there and the topping a90 and whatnot.

they are definitely trying harder than Grado though, i'll give them that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I have a still functioning Schiit Jotunheim (the very type savaged by Audio Science Reviews) and while I enjoyed it at the time I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one today. Heck I enjoy my Burson Playmate a lot but even new it was bad value for money. Didn't have ready access to the competitors at the time. I have great fondness for my Fiio K3 and K5pro because they represent excellent value for money to me, and even they are perhaps slightly out of date now. Maybe not the K5pro though, if you want a cheap all in one with oomph.

Yeah if you're buying today start with Topping. No question. China number one, basically. The Topping A30 pro amplifier is terrifying to me, in a good way. No idea what I'd use that power for though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Ok Comboomer posted:

yes, clearly a decade of extremely strong market performance is wrong :rolleyes:

So we shouldn't recommend a product that best suits a person's stated requirements?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

DancingShade posted:

The Topping A30 pro amplifier is terrifying to me, in a good way. No idea what I'd use that power for though.

I use the old A30 that tops out at like 1.5w into 32 ohms and I only ever use medium and low gain. I can't imagine quintupling that. Good lord.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I hesitate to just recommend a particular DAC/Amp brand unequivocally. Topping and SMSL make good stuff that measures well but also remember that the Topping L30 volume failures that destroyed some headphones and SMSL M400 high RCA output impedance issue. In particular, Topping/SMSL/Gustard etc have really done super well in objective measurements but not as well in feature sets and software/firmware usability .

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I've seen a lot of advice about buying headphones, so I'll ask for one too. I think that I'm a bit stuck.

My budget is around $400, ideally less than $500. I currently own Arctis Pro Wireless and Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X. I'm using PC37X for work and Arctis for gaming and watching TV. I love Arctis but hate that I need to move the wireless DAC for Arctis between my TV / PC, whenever I will be using one or the other. Just bluetooth without the DAC feels a bit meh sound-wise. PC37X is great too, but I hate that the cable as it constantly gets messed with my chair when I'm working.

I'm planning to buy a headset which I can use to:
- listen to music when working / gaming (long times starting at screen basically). I'm not doing any competitive gaming too.
- watching movies (can't have proper speaker setup with my kid sleeping).

I'm looking for a:
- Wireless headset
- With the sound quality at least not worse than Arctis Pro.
- No need for microphone but I don't mind having one as long as it's not obnoxious.

I spent enough time effort narrowing to either:
- Audeze Mobius
- Drop THX Panda
- Another Arctis Pro?

as they seem to tick most of the boxes, but there's some weird complaints floating around the sound of Panda and Mobius seems to have only 10h battery. I'm leaning to Mobius though, but wondering if I can do better maybe?

kaaj fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 20, 2021

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Help me, I have fallen on my head and am now considering cancelling my order for the Massdrop HD6XX and getting a Focal Elex from Massdrop instead. They are obviously much more expensive than the 6XX, but apparently also a lot better? I could stretch my budget to cover the $700, as long as my current Atom stack can power them properly. Is this the case? Are they worth the price?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I've never heard the Elex but it's apparently not far off from the Clear, which I do own alongside the 6XX and which is a lot better. Diminishing returns and all but the even the friends with no experience or expectations for audio gear I've had try them back to back notice how much, well, clearer the Clears are.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I'm reasonably sure the Elex would be the better product - well it better be for the price difference.(note: I haven't heard an Elex)

Since you seem to be wanting positive reinforcement for an action you're aching to make here's Tyll himself singing the praises of Focal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0wJpjAHyk

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I have seen a few people complaining about build quality issues, and the Elex dying after a few weeks. Which is kinda worrying.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Also the HD6XX/650 is just a wonderful headphone. You can't go wrong with it.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, that’s what I’m currently leaning towards.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got the Softears RSV a few weeks ago. I wanted a reference type stound and Softears is Moondrops more premium brand. Welp... This 5 BA IEM is the best goddamn thing i've ever heard. It's tuning nearly perfectly matches my own head related transfer function. Meaning, it sounds near perfect.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I know what you mean. The last IEMs I bought were Thieaudio Legacy 5's (4 BA, 1 DD) and I simply adore the listening experience with them. They're my "summer headphones" for when it's too warm for something over ear.

Sometimes it's possible to simply find that "perfect" IEM that resonates with you and you simply don't want to go down the rabbit hole any further.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

redeyes posted:

I got the Softears RSV a few weeks ago. I wanted a reference type stound and Softears is Moondrops more premium brand. Welp... This 5 BA IEM is the best goddamn thing i've ever heard. It's tuning nearly perfectly matches my own head related transfer function. Meaning, it sounds near perfect.

What are they like with sources? The RSV are the single highest sensitivity transducers I've ever seen with 125dB/V at 5ohm. They must be extremely dependant on source OI and residual noise

With my experience with Moondrop and reading reviews on the RSV, they're probably my dream IEMs right now. 5 drivers means they might even be able to fit a CIEM for me lol

Moondrop can't seem to miss, outside of their sub $50 weirdness. I even enjoy the Shiroyuki as cheap beater sleep earphones

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Hoping I'm in the right thread here but I've had some logitech g533's for slightly over a year and the microphone appears to have just broken. I've tried every software fix I can think of and I just raised it to mute and then lowered and the sound never came back. Anyone had similar problems and knows if its a hardware issue? The microphone itself has a small red lgiht that indicates its recording and that works just not any noise detection

Jose fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 23, 2021

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

Hoping I'm in the right thread here but I've had some logitech g533's for slightly over a year and the microphone appears to have just broken. I've tried every software fix I can think of and I just raised it to mute and then lowered and the sound never came back. Anyone had similar problems and knows if its a hardware issue? The microphone itself has a small red lgiht that indicates its recording and that works just not any noise detection

Do other microphones on your PC work okay? If yes then your headset is busted. If not, you have a software issue.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BurritoJustice posted:

What are they like with sources? The RSV are the single highest sensitivity transducers I've ever seen with 125dB/V at 5ohm. They must be extremely dependant on source OI and residual noise

With my experience with Moondrop and reading reviews on the RSV, they're probably my dream IEMs right now. 5 drivers means they might even be able to fit a CIEM for me lol

Moondrop can't seem to miss, outside of their sub $50 weirdness. I even enjoy the Shiroyuki as cheap beater sleep earphones

They are not that picky whatsoever and show no noise. Sensitivity: 125dB/Vrms @1kHz
impedance: 8 ohms

thats RMS also, not really comparable

Bottom line, they are extremely well behaved and can run off a nice phone and rock your socks off.

I simply can't put them down and right now I have, U12T, SA6, Nana 2.0, Belive, A8, KPE, etc, etc, etc. The RSV is my favorite. It's not that its zomg in any one thing, its just all the things are exactly the way I want them to sound.

Also, A/B testing with the A8 and S8, the RSV sounds MUCH more full and the treble more natrual. If I yank the iems out and smash in the a8 or s8 the treble seems suddenly metallic'er and less refined.. Hell of a thing because I thought they sounded freaking incredible.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 24, 2021

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Dumb question incoming: I used to own a pair of ATH-M30’s that I loved and lasted me a long time.

But eventually they started to break apart and I decided to upgrade. Now I’m looking at the M50X’s and can’t decide between the Bluetooth version or regular, for one one single reason: Does the Bluetooth version suffer from inferior audio quality when plugged in due to them being adapted to use wireless technology? As in, will the wired-only ones provide superior sound because it’s direct from source to headphone, with nothing in between to degrade fidelity?

I think having Bluetooth would be useful for watching YouTube videos, etc., but if having the tech shoved in there negatively affects wired performance, then I’d rather not.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Butt Savage posted:

Dumb question incoming: I used to own a pair of ATH-M30’s that I loved and lasted me a long time.

But eventually they started to break apart and I decided to upgrade. Now I’m looking at the M50X’s and can’t decide between the Bluetooth version or regular, for one one single reason: Does the Bluetooth version suffer from inferior audio quality when plugged in due to them being adapted to use wireless technology? As in, will the wired-only ones provide superior sound because it’s direct from source to headphone, with nothing in between to degrade fidelity?

I think having Bluetooth would be useful for watching YouTube videos, etc., but if having the tech shoved in there negatively affects wired performance, then I’d rather not.

I think a bigger downside probably is having a battery that’ll die after several months/years permanently shoved in there

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Butt Savage posted:

Before you get too excitied about watching video using bluetooth audio you need to be aware of the audio lag. Won't matter for music or most video games, will absolutely matter for video because the audio (including lip synching) won't entirely match up with the visual.

It's one of those things you think "oh it'll be fine" then you experience it and yeah. Not the best experience.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure newer Bluetooth implementations can delay the video to compensate for audio lag. It doesn’t wind up bothering me any with video on either of the Bluetooth sets I have (Bose qc35 and AirPods Pro). YMMV of course.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

DancingShade posted:

Won't matter for music or most video games, will absolutely matter for video because the audio (including lip synching) won't entirely match up with the visual.

You have this a bit backwards, a video player can delay the video to match it up but any real-time elements in games have no solution and will always be lagged.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Hmm, yeah I never noticed sync issues when I’d watch YouTube videos or movies on Prime with my Anker Bluetooth earbuds.

Comboomer brought up a good point, though. I feel like I’d be wasting money on something that’ll eventually stop working long before the headphones themselves do. And I just realized I have to buy a patented Steve Jobs Dongle to plug it into my iPhone, which adds another $10 to a product I’m already iffy on.

I’m gonna go ahead and get the regular wired ones. I think they’re the better deal in the long run. Thanks guys.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Something to bear in mind with wireless over-ear headphones is that most of them now have an aux port so they can be used wired as well, so long term battery life is less of a concern than with wireless earbuds. So when the battery shits itself you can still use them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Butt Savage posted:

Hmm, yeah I never noticed sync issues when I’d watch YouTube videos or movies on Prime with my Anker Bluetooth earbuds.

Comboomer brought up a good point, though. I feel like I’d be wasting money on something that’ll eventually stop working long before the headphones themselves do. And I just realized I have to buy a patented Steve Jobs Dongle to plug it into my iPhone, which adds another $10 to a product I’m already iffy on.

I’m gonna go ahead and get the regular wired ones. I think they’re the better deal in the long run. Thanks guys.

The dongle’s pretty good, there’s a USB-C version that’s totally worth picking up if you need an inexpensive DAC that punches well above its weight.

For me personally, I have my set of Backbeats Fit which are coming up on like 3 years and still going surprisingly strong.

When they die I’ll probably look to replace them with something in the Apple/Beats ecosystem. Nothing really beats the convenience of Apple’s proprietary smart connectivity tech, and premium sound quality isn’t remotely my first priority with wireless headphones like that.

I primarily use wireless headphones when working out, puttering around in lab, doing chores/etc, and walking around outside. The convenience of having them automatically switch from phone to computer, etc without having to pair/unpair/disconnect/etc appeals to me.

Beats/AirPods audio quality is more than adequate for a commute and so forth.

I’m not going to shell out “reference headphone” grade money for something with a battery life expectancy measured in three years or less.

If I want to use fancy headphones that I intend to last me, I’ll get them wired. If that means using a dongle or one of the FiiO Bluetooth adapters then so be it.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Something to bear in mind with wireless over-ear headphones is that most of them now have an aux port so they can be used wired as well, so long term battery life is less of a concern than with wireless earbuds. So when the battery shits itself you can still use them.

Sure, but I want the complete package to last me 7+ years like my M40’s did rather than one part failing at roughly 2 to 3 while the other works fine, you know what I mean?

Those extra 30 bucks could go towards another pair of Anker earbuds when mine eventually die, and they’re more practical for day-to-day.

Yeah, I agree with you. As lovely as it is for the environment, I consider my Ankers to be disposable and good enough for things that aren’t movies, music, etc. I figure that I’m willing to pay a premium for superior music listening, but not for YouTube and audiobooks.

I can’t even fork over the money for Apple’s Bluetooth stuff, though I also think highly of them (half my tech is Apple). The puny batteries in Bluetooth earbuds aren’t worth such a high price, for me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Butt Savage posted:

Sure, but I want the complete package to last me 7+ years like my M40’s did rather than one part failing at roughly 2 to 3 while the other works fine, you know what I mean?

can’t wait for the day somebody using decade-old, long-dead wireless cans wired has their head catch fire when a years-old battery that everyone forgot about catastrophically fails