Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mouse Cadet posted:

I believe the Spectrum app is still available on the Samsung TVs like this one https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-7-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-tizen-tv/6401735.p?skuId=6401735

That may be my best (and only) option.

Yeah but man I hate to go for the lowest quality TV just to solve a temporary problem. Seriously spectrum will let you pause. Do that and get Youtube TV and you won't send any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Yeah with the Roku dispute the only tv-boxes the Spectrum App is available on are Apple TV and... XBox One?

Is this because Apple and Microsoft are the only ones not dicking around with fees?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

More like Apple and Microsoft are the two companies Spectrum can’t boss around.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FCKGW posted:

Or Apple/Microsoft are easy because they may not care about all the data sharing bits that Roku probably does, since they need to sell your info/ads to stay afloat?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Obviously we're all speculating, but yeah, this is Roku's entire business, while for Apple and Microsoft the set top box is just one medium-stakes head of a hydra.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

FCKGW posted:

Wait Roku is the number one streaming box and smart tv platform in america, far beyond Apple or Microsoft, and Spectrum is the one bossing them around?

Maneki Neko posted:

Or Apple/Microsoft are easy because they may not care about all the data sharing bits that Roku probably does, since they need to sell your info/ads to stay afloat?
Wait, this is about the Spectrum app, so what would Roku's data sharing have to do with the Spectrum app available on XBox and Apple TV?

Are you saying that Roku actually has stricter data collection/telemetry restrictions than either Apple or Microsoft and that's what's causing the problems?

Also given how cable tv apps are completely server-side (you have to login with a cable account and they automatically have data on everything you watch because you are requesting it from their servers) I'm not sure what data collection/telemetry concerns there could be.

Well maybe Spectrum wants info on your Spectrum/Xbox/Apple account in order to tie it with your cable account and that's the issue?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 19, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It is sometimes cheaper to simply buy the TV show rather than pay for cable, if you’re buying cable solely for a handful of shows. On my AppleTV I bought the complete series of the office and parks and Rec for like $20 each so I could avoid buying peacock. I also buy the season pass to Rick and Morty and watch them as they’re released.

Plus it’s on-demand and you don’t watch commercials, which somehow frustrates old people (???)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Back when I first moved in with my then-girlfriend I used to do that. I was watching like 3 shows so I've got this odd handful of Mad Men and Community episodes associated with my Google account

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Similarly I convinced my wife to dump Netflix since we only watched The Office and New Girl on it. The Office is on so much that you can DVR the entire series within 3 weeks on just about any linear service, and I bought New Girl on iTunes for $20. I mean DVR is a slight tradeoff in usability but it definitely wasn't worth an extra ~$15/month for me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The United States posted:

Wait Roku is the number one streaming box and smart tv platform in america, far beyond Apple or Microsoft, and Spectrum is the one bossing them around?

I meant strictly by market cap and who can afford the more expensive lawyers

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wait, this is about the Spectrum app, so what would Roku's data sharing have to do with the Spectrum app available on XBox and Apple TV?

Are you saying that Roku actually has stricter data collection/telemetry restrictions than either Apple or Microsoft and that's what's causing the problems?

Also given how cable tv apps are completely server-side (you have to login with a cable account and they automatically have data on everything you watch because you are requesting it from their servers) I'm not sure what data collection/telemetry concerns there could be.

Well maybe Spectrum wants info on your Spectrum/Xbox/Apple account in order to tie it with your cable account and that's the issue?

I think it's the exact opposite.

Roku wants the data and Spectrum won't give it to them.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Got this email from Roku so YoutubeTV may be disappearing from the channel lists.

quote:

Dear Roku Customer,

We are sending this email to update you on the possibility that Google may take away your access to the YouTube TV channel on Roku. Recent negotiations with Google to carry YouTube TV have broken down because Roku cannot accept Google’s unfair terms as we believe they could harm our users.

Ensuring a great streaming experience at an exceptional value is the core of our business. We will always stand up for our users, which is why we cannot accept Google's unfair and anticompetitive requirements to manipulate your search results, impact the usage of your data and ultimately cost you more.

While we are deeply disappointed in Google’s decision to use their monopoly power to try and force terms that will directly harm streamers, we remain committed to reaching an agreement with Google that preserves your access to YouTube TV, protects your data and ensures a level playing field for companies to compete. We encourage you to contact Google and urge them to reach an agreement to continue offering YouTube TV on Roku and to follow standard industry practices pledging not to require access to sensitive search data or to manipulate your search results.

Thank you,
Roku

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Funny how Roku is always the one getting into disputes, but it's always the fault of the streaming platform.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I really like the two Rokus I use on my other TVs but Fire sticks are good enough and I just switched to YT TV from Hulu and man the interface is way better so that's strike two for Roku.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

WhyteRyce posted:

I really like the two Rokus I use on my other TVs but Fire sticks are good enough and I just switched to YT TV from Hulu and man the interface is way better so that's strike two for Roku.

We have two Google TVs and they're great, but my wife and kids just like going straight to the YTTV app on the Roku interface instead of switching over to the Chromecast/GTV and it's remote. If the GTV remote controlled the roku TV, then we'd have a winner!

Of course nearly everyone of these disputes is that Roku want's to take a slice of subscriptions that happen through it's interface and most vendors try to say no.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Roku has outlined a few things that they say Google is requiring, but the reality distortion field is high.

They say Google is trying to dictate their hardware design to drive up the cost of Rokus to put them at a competitive disadvantage. This sounds really bad. However, what Google is likely doing is saying that your hardware moving forward has to support AV1 codec since that's what we're moving to in the future. Roku probably already PLANS on supporting AV1 since Netflix is going to use it as well, but that doesn't stop them from tossing in that point to say that Google is making ridiculous demands.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Proteus Jones posted:

Roku wants the data and Spectrum won't give it to them.
Hmmm that sounds like a possibility. I doubt Apple and MS demand data from Spectrum, so they have no trouble with them.

BonoMan posted:

Of course nearly everyone of these disputes is that Roku want's to take a slice of subscriptions that happen through it's interface and most vendors try to say no.
That also sounds likely... except in Spectrum's case, I don't think subscriptions are possible through that interface?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Roku also scrapes viewing data. They also have universal search so they get advertising metrics off of that. Rokus hoover up a lot of data to ad analytics platforms and the minute that any provider pushes back on that, a carriage dispute is born.

Peacock and HBO Max were around subscription cut. Spectrum and Youtube TV are likely more around universal search and remitting of viewing data from within the app.

What we really need is for hardware manufacturers to not bake services into their revenue, but that's a battle lost.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

WhyteRyce posted:

I just got the new FireStick interface this morning after putting it off after hearing feedback. Eh it's not great for sure. Luckily I only use a few apps, no more than is in the 'favorites' section so I just stick to those.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

What we really need is for hardware manufacturers to not bake services into their revenue, but that's a battle lost.

Honestly, that's what a lot of people think Roku is since it's not from Amazon or Google and plays anything therefore it must not be subsidized

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

I just got the new FireStick interface this morning after putting it off after hearing feedback. Eh it's not great for sure. Luckily I only use a few apps, no more than is in the 'favorites' section so I just stick to those.

Yeah, a lot of people bitch about how they don't like Amazon shoving ads and other featured apps in front of you. Which I get. But it's two clicks down and you are in your favorites bar which has all the stuff you care about anyway. It's annoying but I'd rather deal with that than going back to Hulu Live TV's bad UI and it's way cheaper than something like a Shield TV

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 26, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tbh the Apple TV is absolutely worth the money.

Yeah it’s expensive but there is so much less bullshit to deal with and it just works.

I went through like 3 rokus and a fire stick before getting fed up.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Does the new Apple TV come with a non-stupid remote?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes they changed the remote in the newest model and it’s available separately too.

ATV4K in the lounge, ATV4 in the guest bedroom, Firestick in my bedroom, Roku TV on the patio. Definitely like the ATVs the most but they come at a premium.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ATV may be worth it if they fix their frame rate issues with 14.5.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Tbh the Apple TV is absolutely worth the money.

Yeah it’s expensive but there is so much less bullshit to deal with and it just works.

I went through like 3 rokus and a fire stick before getting fed up.

Agreed. I didn't want to like it because I have no other Apple products, but it's the only streaming device I've tried that just works. Every other one is buggy, laggy, has a terrible interface, or the apps I want it for are terrible on that platform. Meanwhile the Apple TV is smooth and never gives me trouble.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

bull3964 posted:

ATV may be worth it if they fix their frame rate issues with 14.5.

This one?

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1613548043

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yup.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Yeah 14.5 is out today so apparently its fixed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah 14.5 is out today so apparently its fixed.

Well, I'm going to wait to see people run it through its paces first. Plus, if I were to buy it would be the new hardware that's not out yet.

Apple has "fixed" a lot of playback issues in the past that really weren't fixed across the board. DV issues have continually popped up. So, gonna let others test it.

For the most part my ShieldTV does exactly what I want/need it to do so I don't need another streaming device, but I'm always looking for new and shiney.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Well, I'm going to wait to see people run it through its paces first. Plus, if I were to buy it would be the new hardware that's not out yet.

Apple has "fixed" a lot of playback issues in the past that really weren't fixed across the board. DV issues have continually popped up. So, gonna let others test it.

For the most part my ShieldTV does exactly what I want/need it to do so I don't need another streaming device, but I'm always looking for new and shiney.

I mean, I'm in no way trying to get you away from your shield. And yeah, if I had a newer TV I'd be waiting for the 2nd gen 4k, or waiting to see if there's a good price drop on the first gen 4k which is a perfectly fine option if you don't need HDMI 2.1.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://www.protocol.com/youtube-tv-roku-issues

Some more context around the dispute. Roku framing "Google wants to to make our hardware more expensive so they have a competitive advantage" really just boils down to Google requiring companies to suppor AV1 codec moving forward, a codec that nearly all streaming services are going to adopt in the coming years. It's likely the next roku would have support for AV1 anyways, Roku is basically twisting it and using it as a "look at the big player trying to exert monopoly forces on us!"

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
This sucks, because we just finally cut the cord with Spectrum cable in favor of a YouTube TV subscription through our Roku Express device.

Is there any hope of an agreement, or am I going to have to cancel YouTube TV and get something else? We just own one TV with the Roku Express, and we're not going to hook our laptops up to the TV just to watch YouTube TV through them.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This sucks, because we just finally cut the cord with Spectrum cable in favor of a YouTube TV subscription through our Roku Express device.

Is there any hope of an agreement, or am I going to have to cancel YouTube TV and get something else? We just own one TV with the Roku Express, and we're not going to hook our laptops up to the TV just to watch YouTube TV through them.

A fire stick is dirt cheap and streams the same stuff just fine. Don’t let a $30 device dictate your choice of something that costs even more per month

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Have Fire Sticks run into any of these disputes yet? I know they don't have Spectrum.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Have Fire Sticks run into any of these disputes yet? I know they don't have Spectrum.

I think they don’t have Peacock except via side load and of course the famous Google dispute in the past.

Streaming devices are cheap enough I don’t bat an eye at having to spend another $30 on a backup streaming device for a TV because the experience is still cheaper and better than an HTPC

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
I was thinking more in the sense of "is there a device that has everything/has not run into any disputes" because that could tell us which is the most reputable company least likely to just drop support for something

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I was thinking more in the sense of "is there a device that has everything/has not run into any disputes" because that could tell us which is the most reputable company least likely to just drop support for something

It was mentioned above . Apple TV. It has every app and everything works with no loving around with it.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Let's not pretend that this isn't going to be a thing on every platform, if I remember correctly Apple dragged their feet in signing a deal to carry Disney+ and it wasn't announced till the day before launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The new Google TV device is stellar and has a real interface and remote now instead of the old "have to cast from your device" days.

And of course Youtube TV works awesome on it.