Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Seven years after the first season of Megalobox, we find the first Megalonia Champion, "Gearless" Joe, again fighting in underground matches under the moniker, "Nomad." His life has gone to hell and it appears all the bonds he created during the first season have been severed. What the hell happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHBlVtrtjck

Three episodes out so far, and poo poo's been great. I wasn't as high as a lot of people on the first season, though it was stylish as hell and made it to my top 5 that year. But, this season seems miles ahead in production and tone like the team knows what they want out of it from the get go. I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm very much into this season so far, especially the music

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

What happened between both seasons then?

BTW, Where can I watch this? I don't suppose it is on netflix yet

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Siegkrow posted:

What happened between both seasons then?

BTW, Where can I watch this? I don't suppose it is on netflix yet

That's one of the things we're finding out. We're getting flashbacks piecemeal on what the hell actually happened as Joe's half of the story. What we've gotten so far is Nanbu was suffering from a life-threatening illness but Joe asked him to work with him for one last fight which supposedly caused his death. Looks like Joe ran away after the fight (which he probably lost from one brief flash we got of him down for the count) and Sachio blames him for causing Nanbu's death.

It's licensed by Funimation. And I think you can watch the first season on Adult Swin's site.

Dangerous Person posted:

I'm very much into this season so far, especially the music

Oh yeah. The Latin aesthetic is great, and Chief is already my favorite character. Which is going to piss me off when things inevitably go sideways. :ohdear:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

It's licensed by Funimation. And I think you can watch the first season on Adult Swin's site.

Ah poo poo. Not being american, i am fuuuuuucked.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Man the OP and ED are both so good.

I fear for Chief. So many death flags he's a one-man parade.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Chief is gonna beat all the death flags like Joe did.

My biggest concern is him winning the tournament won't be enough. I feel like the dude harassing them has enough money to outbid them in the auction or has some sort of clout to pull some bullshit.

Also can someone help me understand the end card? I looked up what it translates to, but I still don't get it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Do you mean Hasta ver la luz? It means something like Towards the light I think, but I defer to anyone who actually knows Spanish.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ibblebibble posted:

Do you mean Hasta ver la luz? It means something like Towards the light I think, but I defer to anyone who actually knows Spanish.

It means "Until I see the light" but whether it's a specific reference to something, I dunno. Maybe it has a cultural meaning similar to "Not Dead Yet" :v:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah, but I must have typed in it wrong cause when I searched for it I got "so the wave goes"

It makes more sense now.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hey where the gently caress do i find episode summaries i need to know (real rear end spoilers for episode 3) if Chief is alive :(

also the funimation videoplayer is rear end holy poo poo. and the app is locked to closed captions on my ps5??? if i didn't have the whole cour + 2 weeks as an extended free trial, I would definitely be using Other Methods.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 19, 2021

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Oh poo poo I didn't realize this was airing already. Time to start watching from season one again.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

Hey where the gently caress do i find episode summaries i need to know (real rear end spoilers for episode 3) if Chief is alive :(

I don't think we're meant to know that yet. It's framed ambiguously, so that next week we could find out he's just got minor injuries, that he's too hurt to fight, or that he's dead. Keeps things tense.

If I had to bet, he's probably still alive. The way the show does cliffhangers in the past suggests that, if he was dead, it would confirm it. Same as last season they stopped at nine on a tencount that Joe got up from. We also have too small a cast right now to easily afford to lose one of the leads.

Don't think he'll be in boxing shape, though.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It’s been 7 years since the first season? drat where does the time go.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ibblebibble posted:

AlternateNu posted:

It means "Until I see the light" but whether it's a specific reference to something, I dunno. Maybe it has a cultural meaning similar to "Not Dead Yet" :v:
"Hasta ver la luz" can be interpreted a number of ways and while "Until I see the light" is a close enough translation, it's not necessarily the only correct one, especially since it's not referring to one person/a group of people in particular.

It might also be a reference to a Portuguese 2013 film of the same name which kinda has me worried for our buddy Joe. :ohdear:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

If anybody wants to know, the ending is about a man who is ready to let himself die but feels reivigorated to keep going after hearing a hummingbird sing.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
In episode one, Joe sees the news mentioning that people were still recovering from a typhoon that hit the coastal areas harsher than other areas, and I’m pretty sure they showed an aerial shot of the riverbank where Gym Nowhere was located. I’m not sure if this is directly involved in Nanbu’s death, but Sachio telling Joe he wouldn’t forgive him for not being there leads me to believe Joe was gone during the typhoon.

And yeah, this season is killing it, and I find myself a sobbing mess in each episode. Especially listening to that ED as a native Spanish speaker. It’s so goddamn good.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm only two episodes in, but drat if this isn't surpassing my expectations so far. i was a fan of the first season, but so far the tone of this has just been way more enjoyable. although maybe that's just because i'm at a point in my life where i identified more with "self destructive adult with regrets" than "hot headed youth with everything to prove"

the grizzled wolf that challenged the motorbike ending up dead by the side of the road at the end of episode 1 was some great poo poo

does anyone have any thoughts on the hummingbird motif? i guess it's supposed to symbolize life, but boy does it seem to show up everywhere

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I’ve read into it a tiny bit,and the Aztec god of war was often depicted as a hummingbird. It’s said dead warriors would come back as hummingbirds.

Maybe Joe, no longer the junk dog (death of the dog in ep. 1) will now rise as the Colibri?

The lyrics of the ED also speak of a man dying in the desert being reinvigorated by the song of a hummingbird. Chief (and the immigrants in general) seem to represent a new goal and home for Joe, something for him to live for again.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm only two episodes in, but drat if this isn't surpassing my expectations so far. i was a fan of the first season, but so far the tone of this has just been way more enjoyable. although maybe that's just because i'm at a point in my life where i identified more with "self destructive adult with regrets" than "hot headed youth with everything to prove"

the grizzled wolf that challenged the motorbike ending up dead by the side of the road at the end of episode 1 was some great poo poo

does anyone have any thoughts on the hummingbird motif? i guess it's supposed to symbolize life, but boy does it seem to show up everywhere

Yeah, the shot of Joe burying him hit hard. "They don't make tombstones for stray dogs" :smith:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think chief is the hummingbird. He's helping Joe get out of his depression and in ep 2 we saw him carving a lil bird figure.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The hummingbird showing up during Joe's match with Chief felt like the butterfly showing up for the veteran in season 1.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Chief reads to me as the Hummingbird, yeah. And Hummingbirds have pretty short lifespans, so I'm scared he'll ultimately live hard and die fast.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MorningMoon posted:

Chief reads to me as the Hummingbird, yeah. And Hummingbirds have pretty short lifespans, so I'm scared he'll ultimately live hard and die fast.

Dude already looks like he's in his 40s. He's got that dad-bod with the granny glasses.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Dude already looks like he's in his 40s. He's got that dad-bod with the granny glasses.

Oh yeah he's DILF as gently caress and has lived like three lives with being a single widow with a dead son, but for the purposes of Joe's story..

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
:cry:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

nooooooo

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This show is so loving good. You knew exactly what was going to happen after he took all those rabbit punches and didn't collapse after the fight. But then he had to pull out that "I'm afraid to go to sleep." line. Goddamn. :cry:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

This show is so loving good. You knew exactly what was going to happen after he took all those rabbit punches and didn't collapse after the fight. But then he had to pull out that "I'm afraid to go to sleep." line. Goddamn. :cry:

I caught on when he said that. Then he said he was joking and I chose to believe. Then the red flags kept piling up. :smith:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh gently caress there's more Megalobox??? That was the show that made me remember that I liked anime. I gotta get in on this.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
End card: "If the flower of the soul blooms, love will not be lost."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
At least the dude got to do everything he wanted to do before the end. :unsmith:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That was a rough episode to watch, I pretty much knew how it was going to end as soon as he started taking punches to the back of the head, but I hoped it wouldn't turn out that way.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
This week: the kids are more mature than Joe.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
As someone who has lost both parents, I understand Joe’s actions completely.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just watched Chief's moneymaker match and God drat. this season isn't just confident, it has a drat vision. it's ambitious as all gently caress. it's got the same shine that Cowboy Bebop hit you with.

I just hope that the immigrants keep being a factor in the story and it's not just like a stepping stone for Joe to get his groove back. I really liked how they brought the group in as a consequence of the world and it'd be a shame to discard that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nanigans posted:

As someone who has lost both parents, I understand Joe’s actions completely.

Same here, that was tough to watch :smith:

Sair
May 11, 2007

This is honestly better than the first season.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I hope this series is doing well ratings wise. I loved the first season and didn’t think it needed a second season, or that it was even popular enough to get one, though of course I’m happy it did. I’m just not sure who this series is made for besides men in their 30s-50s like me-not really the demographic people really cater to with anime. I feel like this will become a cult classic remembered years from now but never really appreciated in its own time. Even more than season 1. At this point, I hope they deliver another satisfying conclusion that precludes not needing a third season, but also leaves the door open for more.

Don’t loving die, Joe. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nanigans posted:

I hope this series is doing well ratings wise. I loved the first season and didn’t think it needed a second season, or that it was even popular enough to get one, though of course I’m happy it did. I’m just not sure who this series is made for besides men in their 30s-50s like me-not really the demographic people really cater to with anime. I feel like this will become a cult classic remembered years from now but never really appreciated in its own time. Even more than season 1. At this point, I hope they deliver another satisfying conclusion that precludes not needing a third season, but also leaves the door open for more.

Don’t loving die, Joe. :ohdear:

I suspect it's marketed towards Americans.

It's got a lot of stylistic touches shared with the anime that got big stateside in the early 2000s, and the first season had pretty good ratings on Crunchyroll and really weak DVD sales in Japan. It's a growing market, after all.