Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

utamaru posted:

Thanks for this, what is the deal with good animes, so many of my faves, and having titles + promo art that would make me 100% sure to never check them out without recommendations.

Go watch the movie if you haven't yet. (Rascal Does Not Dream of Dreaming Girls)

Just make sure you've got a couple hours free afterwards to process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go watch the movie if you haven't yet. (Rascal Does Not Dream of Dreaming Girls)

Just make sure you've got a couple hours free afterwards to process.

Just finished it. That was very intense, and in the end I liked it. Going to go process now tyvm.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Edit: this was not the general chat thread. But I will recommend Umamusume S2 in general.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 19, 2021

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

Sound Euphonium is a really, really good character drama about a high school band, and Liz and the Blue Bird is a film spinoff of it thats insanely good.

Yeah, this was my first thought based on the OP's comment.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
SUPER DUPER HARD MODE

I would like a harem anime where the protagonist isn't completely oblivious, and it also isn't a hentai. Does such a thing exist? Redo doesn't count- that's hentai.

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 20, 2021

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

redo, not oblivious?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Islamic Shock posted:

SUPER DUPER HARD MODE

I would like a harem anime where the protagonist isn't completely oblivious, and it also isn't a hentai. Does such a thing exist? Redo doesn't count- that's hentai.

Konosuba.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I should've disclaimed that because you're absolutely right.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

SUPER DUPER HARD MODE

School days is functionally this, and follows it to the natural conclusion.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

SUPER DUPER HARD MODE

There's always Haiyore! Nyaruko-san, but it's older and there may be problems (looking at you, Hastur). However, as he's a normal kid surrounded by monsters, it does have an MC that's aware of everything happening and kind of hates it and everyone involved for a long while.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SUPER DUPER HARD MODE

Steins;Gate

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Thank you for all the suggestions re: A Place Further Than the Universe. It'll probably be a while before I have a good stretch of time to watch or report back on any of them, but I'm certainly intrigued by Showa Genroku and a few others as well.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
How is Iron Blooded Orphans? I haven't watched a gundam in forever. I think war in the pocket was my favorite. I liked the original gundam too.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cephas posted:

How is Iron Blooded Orphans? I haven't watched a gundam in forever. I think war in the pocket was my favorite. I liked the original gundam too.

There were some times when the quality dipped but overall I enjoyed it greatly.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cephas posted:

I liked S1 well enough. I haven't gotten to S2 yet but was told it's not quite as good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cephas posted:

I personally found it to be extremely disappointing given the pedigree of the folks involved.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Cephas posted:

I liked Season 1 a lot, but dropped it a bit into season 2 since it had kinda turned into a slog that lost a lot of the charm it had had at the start.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think IBO is probably the second best Gundam ever made besides 0080 and I loved both S1 and S2. It has a very strong cast of characters and a pretty strong throughline. There's a few mildly contrived plotpoints and one character whose entire concept is a bit weird, but besides that I loved it a lot. Great ending, too.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Endorph posted:

I think IBO is probably the second best Gundam ever made besides 0080 and I loved both S1 and S2. It has a very strong cast of characters and a pretty strong throughline. There's a few mildly contrived plotpoints and one character whose entire concept is a bit weird, but besides that I loved it a lot. Great ending, too.

Agreed in pretty much every point. I think S2 is a bit better than S1 but not by much - the worst in terms of writing happens very early on in S1 and it only lasts for about two episodes (the episode after that middling arc is IMO very good so I didn't really mind the other two). The action is great, too.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Cephas posted:

i'd say it's my second or third favorite gundam. certainly if you're looking at 50 episode tv shows i think its only real competition is turn a in terms of quality

it has some highs and lows but there's waaaaaay more high than low

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So this:

https://twitter.com/CityHunterOoC/status/1384629197025406984?s=20

Has convinced me that I should check out City Hunter. Where should I start?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Episode 1

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

If I liked Toradora, what else should I check out? I've heard good things about Kaguya-Sama: Love is War.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Azran posted:

If I liked Toradora, what else should I check out? I've heard good things about Kaguya-Sama: Love is War.

Kaguya-sama is fantastic but it's more skit comedy than actual romcom, it has only the barest outline of an actual plot.

If you want something more serialized, I enjoyed Lovely Complex and Ore Monogatari. They're both lighter in tone than Toradora, though; my knowledge of the genre is pretty limited so I can't think of much that has that specific mix of comedy and serious drama.

On the other hand if skit comedy is what you're actually after all along, there's Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 22, 2021

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Azran posted:

Golden Time is the same author and was pretty good.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Thanks for the recommendations! :) This thread always delivers.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Lovely Complex was great, but I felt it went on about 6 episodes too long. The chemistry is great, but the scenario structure gets repetitive after a while.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Azran posted:

Yahari Oregairu/My Teen Romcom SNAFU - Three seasons, frontloads the youth drama which eventually combines with the bittersweet romance emerging in the back portion

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Since I'm GMing the tabletop RPG Lancer, I was curious about 'mecha' anime that have the mechs be relatively small? Code Geass Knightmares or smaller, generally. Roughly the size of the smaller mechs in the Titanfall video games.

Bonus for politics and HORRORS OF WAR mixed in with the WOW COOL ROBOT parts. Ideally should have both HORRORS OF WAR moments as well as WOW COOL ROBOT, but the important thing here is small bots. Tall as a house.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You want VOTOMS

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Since I'm GMing the tabletop RPG Lancer, I was curious about 'mecha' anime that have the mechs be relatively small? Code Geass Knightmares or smaller, generally. Roughly the size of the smaller mechs in the Titanfall video games.

Bonus for politics and HORRORS OF WAR mixed in with the WOW COOL ROBOT parts. Ideally should have both HORRORS OF WAR moments as well as WOW COOL ROBOT, but the important thing here is small bots. Tall as a house.
yeah you want VOTOMS. Other stuff I can think of with smaller robots is Patlabor (it's about mecha cops and has a pretty down to earth tone, though there's a bit of politics. the movies especially are political thrillers, so maybe just watch those), Xabungle (which is mostly goofy comedy and the mechs are meant to look like theyre made out of garbage, but could still give you some inspiration), and overman king gainer. (Which is on a similar wavelength to Xabungle though a bit less goofy (still pretty goofy) and the mech designs are more alien)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Front mission (tho it doesnt have an anime) and flag

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Patlabor movies good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

bewilderment posted:

oh also, possibly Eureka Seven. The bots are somewhat large, the main mech, the Nirvash, transforms into a futuristic space-car-type vehicle, so it's not THAT big. But it's an utterly ridiculous setting that somehow is still kept fairly grounded, you have sky-surfing robots but they explain all that stuff well. The characters are weird, quirky, fun, and mostly down to earth. Great visuals, PHENOMENAL music, a good story, some fantastic animation by BONES studio, and Renton and Eureka have a good relationship together.

The OPs are so good too, DAYS and Shonen Heart are wonderful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOE4Qfans9M&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2LXIWkzRUE&hd=1

just maybe don't watch anything E7 beyond the original series.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 25, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bewilderment posted:

Appleseed is exactly what you want.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

bewilderment posted:

Comedy option: read Gantz manga because it goes Kafka-barfing-absinthe-in-your-hair insane around the time powerarmor/mecha show up.

Fair warning though: the author is relentlessly horny, which can be hilarious and/or offputting in juxtaposition with all the violence and horror ('of war' and otherwise) so your mileage may vary.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GITS - SAC has a fair bit of the tiny Tachikoma spider mech / tank things, think SUV sized. They were used pretty cleverly in some parts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

That Works posted:

GITS - SAC has a fair bit of the tiny Tachikoma spider mech / tank things, think SUV sized. They were used pretty cleverly in some parts.
episode 2 is still one of my favorites, the whole "rogue AI-controlled military tank" thing was done really well and it was an intense early episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2MVaLEEnLs&hd=1

for an early oughts series the CGI is not bad at all most of the time.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Beyond just VOTOMS you're also looking for much of Ryosuke Takahashi's robot anime in general; VOTOMS has the broadest expanded universe and most material associated with it but e.g. Dougram will go a lot heavier on the politics where VOTOMS kind of jumps around subgenres on an arc-to-arc basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Just saw the movie for Tanya the Evil, and apart from distracting tech jump it's quite good.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 25, 2021