Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Grumbles posted:

Building PC's - at least gaming pcs - has always been a rich kid hobby though? When I was a kid/teenager, it was only the people from rich families who had high end PCs (and then thru my 20's when I wasn't earning all that much it was only friends who were into games but also worked in finance or whatever who had the nice PCs). The rest of us made do on our janky Compaq family computers, or whatever old laptops were handed down to us.

My first "building PCs" experience was from taking apart cheap old computers and putting them back together and upgrading them in cheap but effective ways. That's harder than it used to be as modern prebuilts from companies like Dell and HP are now full of proprietary parts and have the bare minimum power supply to turn on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I built a PC in July of 2019 for about 520 dollars: a six-core Ivy Bridge Xeon, 16 gigs of DDR3, an RX 580, a small SSD for the OS, and 500 GB platter hard drive. That's all you need for 720p and pretty decent for 1080p and I'd probably still be on it if I didn't need AVX2 for Zoom backgrounds. About three months later I built a system around an Athlon 200GE for about 300 dollars just because I wanted to have a back-up and I began taking a liking to the actual hobby of playing around with hardware. But PC gaming could be cheap.

I guess the worry is that you wouldn't be able to get that kind of value again. I got my RX 580 for ~85 dollars. Nowadays that might not even get you a GT 710, and you might be looking at 300 dollars just for a 1080p-capable card, never mind the rest of the parts.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Grumbles posted:

Building PC's - at least gaming pcs - has always been a rich kid hobby though?
While the bleeding edge stuff has always been expensive, you could usually drool over a Graphics Card X-Thousand Xenon Edition with Hydrogen Cooling Chamber and 25MEGS BLAZING FAST RAM and then go pick up your $200 mid-range card.

That's... not really possible now.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I built a PC in July of 2019 for about 520 dollars: a six-core Ivy Bridge Xeon, 16 gigs of DDR3, an RX 580, a small SSD for the OS, and 500 GB platter hard drive. That's all you need for 720p and pretty decent for 1080p and I'd probably still be on it if I didn't need AVX2 for Zoom backgrounds. About three months later I built a system around an Athlon 200GE for about 300 dollars just because I wanted to have a back-up and I began taking a liking to the actual hobby of playing around with hardware. But PC gaming could be cheap.

I guess the worry is that you wouldn't be able to get that kind of value again. I got my RX 580 for ~85 dollars. Nowadays that might not even get you a GT 710, and you might be looking at 300 dollars just for a 1080p-capable card, never mind the rest of the parts.

Polaris pricing was an aberration. Prices are unreasonably high now for reasons, but I wouldn't expect 1080p cards to be that cheap again until the very bottom end is capable of it, it was just getting soaked so hard by the 1060 prices were getting slashed all the time just to move units.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
In 2018 I spent $225 on 16 gigs of Trident Z RGB (3200mhz). I believe at the time I bought it there was some price fixing going on with cellphone companies or something like that. Same kit today is $115.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

Building PC's - at least gaming pcs - has always been a rich kid hobby though? When I was a kid/teenager, it was only the people from rich families who had high end PCs (and then thru my 20's when I wasn't earning all that much it was only friends who were into games but also worked in finance or whatever who had the nice PCs). The rest of us made do on our janky Compaq family computers, or whatever old laptops were handed down to us.
My first PC was an old 1996-era Compaq that I bought for $30 in 2000 and proceeded to scrap together the cash to upgrade every component with bargain bin used parts that made it useful for a few more years. I guess if you're using used parts it's more of a rebuild, but I don't think I've built a PC for myself that doesn't have a few components that I've already owned and used.

Before the chip shortage a popular option was buying old server-class CPUs, pairing them with dodgy "new" Aliexpress motherboards with recycled server chipsets and slapping in a mid-range video card. Or buying a refurbished Dell or HP office PC from 8 years ago and sticking a video card into that if you want to get lazy, though that probably is stretching the definition of a PC "build".

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 15, 2021

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Would be a good time for Linus to do a new series of scrapyard wars in light of the current shortages, but I guess COVID kinda nixes it.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

FuturePastNow posted:

My first "building PCs" experience was from taking apart cheap old computers and putting them back together and upgrading them in cheap but effective ways. That's harder than it used to be as modern prebuilts from companies like Dell and HP are now full of proprietary parts and have the bare minimum power supply to turn on.

Won't argue with them putting in poo poo power supplies. I've seen gaming setups from both that have a power supply in them that would have problems with the system near to full load. Granted that isn't something most people would ever do, and even outside of benchmarking probably won't hit it that hard, but still.

As to proprietary stuff, that really isn't an issue anymore. The motherboard might be about it, but they are generally standard layouts now (Dell loved using custom boards that worked only in their cases for example). A lot of the stuff is just standard, more than likely un-branded, off the shelf hardware.

The worse offense is that they are still putting in spinning drives in computers. Last I looked (a few months ago), HP only had like 1-2 very low end systems with them, but Dell was putting them in as the only drive on a lot of their low and mid-range systems.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SCheeseman posted:

Before the chip shortage a popular option was buying old server-class CPUs, pairing them with dodgy "new" Aliexpress motherboards with recycled server chipsets and slapping in a mid-range video card.

This is exactly what I did.

I really wanted to get one of those Opterons just for the novelty, but as far as I could tell the motherboards only ever had single-channel RAM, which is super bad when combined with the really low clock speeds.

SCheeseman posted:

Or buying a refurbished Dell or HP office PC from 8 years ago and sticking a video card into that if you want to get lazy, though that probably is stretching the definition of a PC "build".

This is was also a nice alternative, though the main issue was that a lot of these PCs were SFF so you either needed an SFF-sized card which cut down on your options or you just left the case open.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Same as always

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

You didn’t have to buy parts off eBay for 3-4x retail.

Im down to pay $700 for a 3080, but they cost 2k-3k unless you win some competition.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

gently caress i knew exactly what was going to happen from the jump

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Does Linus have sweaty hands or what?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Former Human posted:

Does Linus have sweaty hands or what?

That and/or he's a nervous uncoordinated nerd

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Or he does it on purpose because it's become a meme.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Time to sell Linus Tech Tips official Talcum powder, ideal against sweaty hands!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fame Douglas posted:

Time to sell Linus Tech Tips official Talcum powder, ideal against sweaty hands!

EL TEE TEE STORE DOT COM

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure

Charles posted:

Or he does it on purpose because it's become a meme.

The graphics card was a dummy, if I recall. I think he's just an uncoordinated nerd but he leans into it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

He drops stuff by accident, but it's usually boring stuff we all drop like screws. But people started noticing it and it became a joke so now he sometimes drops expensive things. Maybe some of it is fake but I doubt Linus is above destroying something expensive for views.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

No doubt he can afford it all but I can't get on board with just turning stuff into e-waste for clicks

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The most costly real drop was a Xeon Platinum 8280 which he received from Intel for their $100k PC. Intel wouldn't replace it and they needed a matched pair for the motherboard they had so he ended up having to spend a hideous amount on a pair of QS 8280 because even that was cheaper than a new 8280. He didn't even get it on film and it pushed back that whole series months.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
that reminds me of der8auer taking a Threadripper CPU out, only to have the chip slip out of the plastic carrier frame and land smack dab into the socket - destroying a bunch of pins in one go and rendering the board useless instantly

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

No doubt he can afford it all but I can't get on board with just turning stuff into e-waste for clicks

his editing department retired a bunch of Mac Pros (the giant aluminum one that came before the trash can), he had a couple pallets of them, and he figured they weren't worth selling due to the very high shipping cost, so one of the events at LTX that year was the Mac Pro Toss

throw one the furthest and win

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
LTT is pretty grating in general.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The new LTT watercooling video is a thunderous return to 2015 era LTT hackyness.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

well why not posted:

The new LTT watercooling video is a thunderous return to 2015 era LTT hackyness.

I laughed the whole time

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

well why not posted:

isn't alex like, an actual accredited engineer? zipties don't provide uniform pressure and as such aren't even a little watertight, lmao.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CoolCab posted:

isn't alex like, an actual accredited engineer? zipties don't provide uniform pressure and as such aren't even a little watertight, lmao.

My internal monologue was like "have they even heard of hose clamps? oh they're using a hose clamp on that small tube. what the gently caress"

The whole video was Linus "I HAVE TO GET TO WAN SHOW" friday afternoon panicking

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I like how they pointed out in the video that their results aren't even valid because they were basically just adding fresh (cold) tap water every minute or so such that the performance of the radiator didn't really matter.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Total-loss cooling is the future, y'all.

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Prices fluctuate , it happens.

I bought 2x8 GB 3200Mhz CL14 about 4 years ago for $180 USED (trident Z, no RGB). And this is not age pricing, a year before that it was down near $100.

Same kit about a year and a half ago was down to like $80.

Now it’s back up. It’ll go down again. There’s DRAM shortages due to supply issues, partially due to Covid and partially due to the Texas freeze that shut down Samsung’s DRAM factory for a few days. It’ll swing like everything else.

Yeah that was due to DRAM price fixing from June 2016- Jan 2018 by Samsung, SK Hynix and Micron and theres been a class action lawsuit for it for a couple years you can sign up for.
https://www.theregister.com/2018/04/30/dram_vendors_sued_again_for_price_fixing_again/
https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/dram-price-fixing

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Helter Skelter posted:

i have to admit when they suggested that i thought "someone, somewhere, has built water cooling out of a faucet somehow."

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Grumbles posted:

Nope, it was a cheap hobby, overclocking Durons and Celerons and cutting up lovely old cases to gain some airflow. Rich kids bought Alienware..

Of course, you could spend a lot, but it was far from an exclusive thing. Most pirated Windows with few exceptions, saving that in the budget too

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 19, 2021

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

CoolCab posted:

i have to admit when they suggested that i thought "someone, somewhere, has built water cooling out of a faucet somehow."

Ltt did that already and pretty much everyone said it was a massive waste of water. Like in the video. Their own coworkers thought it was dumb.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

CoolCab posted:

LTT did just this during a week when Linus was on vacation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFXyyJyEtVI

e;fb

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

CoolCab posted:

he at least studied engineering but it’s not clear if he graduates. He’s mentioned ignoring studies to learn about car suspension in the past.

No matter the qualifications, they’d never trump the level of care Friday afternoon Linus puts in.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

well why not posted:

he at least studied engineering but it’s not clear if he graduates. He’s mentioned ignoring studies to learn about car suspension in the past.

No matter the qualifications, they’d never trump the level of care Friday afternoon Linus puts in.

yeah alex has pretty much said he studied engineering just to get access to the shop so he could mod his car. pretty sure he works at LTT for the same reason

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Helter Skelter posted:

Think about the performance you could achieve using latest heat of vaporisation!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CoolCab posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO0-47to8-E

This actually works shockingly well, and you don't even need a pump or have to worry about a pump failing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

HalloKitty posted:

Nope, it was a cheap hobby, overclocking Durons and Celerons and cutting up lovely old cases to gain some airflow. Rich kids bought Alienware..

Of course, you could spend a lot, but it was far from an exclusive thing. Most pirated Windows with few exceptions, saving that in the budget too

I'm aware of how much stuff cost back in the day - I remember 10 years ago building a really good PC for £400-£500 or so - but I guess I'm learning that my idea of what constitutes a rich kid is vastly different from a lot of people in this thread. It was cheaper back then but still felt like a lot of money back then, I could only really afford it because I was working full time but was still a teenager and hadn't moved out of home yet. Maybe it's a country thing?

I mean, it did still feel like you were cheating the system by building your own because it was so much cheaper than getting an alienware or whatever.

On topic: I get why people find Linus annoying, but everything I've read about the guy makes it sound like he just wants to build a sustainable business where he can pay all his staff as much as possible for as long as possible, and they seem very conscious about e-waste and stuff like that - although the 'sustainable business' part I guess means rinsing the YouTube algorithm for all its worth in every conceivable way. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed that roast they did of him. Even his wife was completely slamming him for the fact that his fanbase is entirely teenage boys.