Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

It's good that she's not forced to use it any more than she feels necessary, but that shouldn't disregard the fact she released a 100 minute video about how and why the website thrives on miscontextualisation and the people with Nixon style enemies list who live for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fuligin posted:

That first post seems... pretty mild? I guess they called vinny a 'youtube nerd?' Rapsheet length is something i also thought we gave up caring about after the troubles but whatev

It was more about dismissing the allegations based on this guy's status. The guilt or innocence of a person is important, even if they are the most nobody of nobodies.

I'm sure rats meant it as a joke or shitpost but this is just not the thread for that kinda thing. And then the whole thread got sidetracked after that, too.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Redezga posted:

It's good that she's not forced to use it any more than she feels necessary, but that shouldn't disregard the fact she released a 100 minute video about how and why the website thrives on miscontextualisation and the people with Nixon style enemies list who live for it.

Oh yeah, Twitter is manipulative by design and run by awful people. If the corporate bloodsuckers that run it gave even half a poo poo about running an environment that wasn't petty and disgusting they could; but they don't. Jack Dorsey and Vijaya Gadde came off as slimy ghouls in the one interview I saw where they were talking about their company to Joe Rogan and Tim Pool.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The only updates to the Vinesauce thing are tangential - GeePM is officially retiring from streaming and wiped their social media accounts. This is the person who ran interference for a groomer who was one of their Discord mods.

That’s about it. We’re likely never going to hear details because it seems like it’s being handled by the courts. Libel lawsuit and restraining orders, maybe.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Redezga posted:

It's been really fun watching folks who would normally complain about people taking poo poo out of context posting a screenshot of the titles to the sections of her video and claiming, based purely on that list and a self-righteous desire to not engage with the content they're complaining about, that she's complaining about cancel culture and is now a member of the alt-right or some similar bullshit

Like, fuckin' hell, maybe she had a point she was driving at that took a while to get to

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Somfin posted:

It's been really fun watching folks who would normally complain about people taking poo poo out of context posting a screenshot of the titles to the sections of her video and claiming, based purely on that list and a self-righteous desire to not engage with the content they're complaining about, that she's complaining about cancel culture and is now a member of the alt-right or some similar bullshit

Like, fuckin' hell, maybe she had a point she was driving at that took a while to get to

She basically caught the attention of YA author twitter, a region of twitter so toxic that prison gangs would look at it and say "woah, that is seriously hosed up". Everything from that point on was doomed to be a ton of bad faith attacks against her and there's really no outcome that improves that situation.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Lindsay Ellis definitely has a point regarding the performative hypersensitivity on twitter but good lord is that video a Streisand sandwich.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

pentyne posted:

She basically caught the attention of YA author twitter, a region of twitter so toxic that prison gangs would look at it and say "woah, that is seriously hosed up". Everything from that point on was doomed to be a ton of bad faith attacks against her and there's really no outcome that improves that situation.
I can't believe she suffered backlash over that hour long video mocking a yiff author. I mean, she even told her fans not to harass her, what more could she ever do?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fuligin posted:

That first post seems... pretty mild? I guess they called vinny a 'youtube nerd?' Rapsheet length is something i also thought we gave up caring about after the troubles but whatev
saying 'it doesnt matter if its real or not because he isnt a real person' is actually very bad. if hes an actual creep its bad because it downplays the fact that he did bad things and how his victims feel about it, and if hes not its bad because then its downplaying the fact that hes the victim of a campaign of harassment and disinformation.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Sardonik posted:

Lindsay Ellis definitely has a point regarding the performative hypersensitivity on twitter but good lord is that video a Streisand sandwich.

I got like 20 minutes into it before it dawned on me that she wasn’t going to admit that maybe she tweeted dumb poo poo and maybe some of the people criticizing the dumb poo poo she tweeted weren’t acting in bad faith.

YA Twitter is hyper toxic, and she was definitely molded by it.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I got like 20 minutes into it before it dawned on me that she wasn’t going to admit that maybe she tweeted dumb poo poo and maybe some of the people criticizing the dumb poo poo she tweeted weren’t acting in bad faith.

YA Twitter is hyper toxic, and she was definitely molded by it.

There was actually quite a few examples she listed in her thorough but non-comprehensive list of things that she straight up admitted there was no excuse for like a lot of the Channel Awesome era gags/tweets, and even some of the stuff she didn't tweet like the rumours surrounding her fallout with Mara Wilson when Mara confided to her that she thought she might be bisexual and Lindsay told her she wasn't, which she admits is a true story even though she isn't proud of it.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 20, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The video was long as gently caress and I mostly watched it while working but I definitely stepped away feeling basically no sympathy for the people holding ledgers of tweets and clips for 15 years despite how many people want to claim those people are acting in good faith. Not to mention how most of those people also were gleefully talking about spreading fake tweets of other creators to keep the momentum going and get them cancelled too. Absolutely ghoulish poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ellis can be and is an idiot but anyone whos reaction to her tweet went beyond thinking it was stupid and into 'i shall add it to my document of crimes ellis has committed, which i have been maintaining for the last five years' is bonkers

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 20, 2021

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Not to mention how most of those people also were gleefully talking about spreading fake tweets of other creators to keep the momentum going and get them cancelled too.

Citation needed.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

fancy stats posted:

Citation needed.

Jenny Nicholson's tweets were edited and circulated as racist things.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

How does that tie in the Ellis debacle?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

fancy stats posted:

How does that tie in the Ellis debacle?

She mentions it in her video since alot of the same people were posting "Jenny next" or "Sarah z next" after Lindsay closed her twitter account. One of the major reasons these people are going after them are due to them being part of the same youtube friend group.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

You should really have more than "a lot of the same people" if you're going to go about claiming the only people (or, most of them, as you claimed) that could be mad at your favourite internet creators are part of a vast insidious conspiracy. Its extremely lovely to disregard what could be valid complaints because there are bad actors present, because there's always going to be bad actors present.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Lol OK dude

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Can you imagine how awful it must be to actually be on social media? Like I check mine occasionally and it's good to laugh at when fellow goons spoonfeed us all the good bits in mock threads.

But actually having to engage with it, keep up an active personality on it like a social resume, communicate with people who use it all the time... :whitewater:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fancy stats posted:

You should really have more than "a lot of the same people" if you're going to go about claiming the only people (or, most of them, as you claimed) that could be mad at your favourite internet creators are part of a vast insidious conspiracy. Its extremely lovely to disregard what could be valid complaints because there are bad actors present, because there's always going to be bad actors present.
that isnt what anyone said, even ellis's video says 'there were valid complaints but also there were people who are obsessed with twitter drama and cancelling popular creators' and half the video is about her explaining the difference between those two behaviors and admitting to a lot of past faults

so its weird to act like anyone was disregarding valid complaints because of bad actors

and i think ellis is a moron so this isnt even a 'my favorite internet creators' thing

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

and i think ellis is a moron so this isnt even a 'my favorite internet creators' thing

Could you give me a quick answer as to why, maybe some info where to look for more info? I've only seen a few of her (more recent) videos, and even though I'm not a fan, she seemed not a moron; even if she were, her movie reviews and video seem fine, I'm just curious:)

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
unironically you can just watch her video for more info lol, she documents the lion's share of it herself and chides herself on it as much as anyone. shes just someone who has a bad history of putting her foot in her mouth and doubling or tripling down w/ way more verve as an omnidirectional and universal thing regardless of the circumstances of the blowback we're talking about, but the absurd toxicity of social media has also been there alongside any reasonable blowback basically every step of the way for every incident so its always been a clusterfuck nightmare however you slice it

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
So is the basis of "Ellis is a moron" that she engages in twitter use?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

she has had takes on a variety of things, both in her videos and outside of them, that i disagree heavily with, so i call her a moron reductively to show i do not think very highly of her opinions. this is different from thinking shes a bad person who deserves bad things to happen to her, and i wish her nothing but happiness and success. namaste.

for isntance in her beauty and the beast video she mentions the anime and manga ancient magus bride as an example of a modern beauty and the beast thing, mildly critiques it for the protag being 15 and there being a couple of sex jokes with her, mentions different cultural standards, and then... makes fun of... people who'd point out that the age of consent in japan is actually 16/18 and the 'the age of consent is 13' thing is just something idiots online believe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O06tMbIKh0&t=720s

like, seriously, what is this bit. the person shes making fun of says the age of consent in japan is 16/18 but also talks about how its okay to gently caress teenagers because they're sexually mature? what the hell is this bit. i still dont understand what point she was trying to make or who she was making fun of.

and thats kind of my general experience with her videos, there's often good points but there's also a lot of bizarre asides where she makes fun of some hyperspecific person who only exists in her head and doesnt even make sense as representing a coherent counterargument.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 20, 2021

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

no one who makes feature-length videos about drama is a person who has made great choices

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Personally I don't wish Ellis the best in light of the whole 'browbeat and wrote out someone who was sexually assaulted by someone else in ellis' social circle' bit but hey.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
this one's bonafide news to me

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think they deleted the tweet, or at least they said they were going to but after all the dust had settled on the cancellation thing, someone came out and said that someone who was in the same friendgroup as ellis kissed her without consent a few years ago and Ellis and the others didn't take it seriously and so she left that group of people. She didnt' name any names besides Ellis being one of the friends to my knowledge.

It was a pretty bad thing! Something that made me definitely not look at Lindsay very favorably. However this came out well after all Very Concerned people from kiwifarms spread around tweets from 2011 and stuff so none of those people get off the hook/get retroactively justified on weaponizing lindsay's own rape against her and poo poo.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Violen posted:

unironically you can just watch her video for more info lol, she documents the lion's share of it herself and chides herself on it as much as anyone. shes just someone who has a bad history of putting her foot in her mouth and doubling or tripling down w/ way more verve as an omnidirectional and universal thing regardless of the circumstances of the blowback we're talking about, but the absurd toxicity of social media has also been there alongside any reasonable blowback basically every step of the way for every incident so its always been a clusterfuck nightmare however you slice it

Endorph posted:

she has had takes on a variety of things, both in her videos and outside of them, that i disagree heavily with, so i call her a moron reductively to show i do not think very highly of her opinions. this is different from thinking shes a bad person who deserves bad things to happen to her, and i wish her nothing but happiness and success. namaste.

for isntance in her beauty and the beast video she mentions the anime and manga ancient magus bride as an example of a modern beauty and the beast thing, mildly critiques it for the protag being 15 and there being a couple of sex jokes with her, mentions different cultural standards, and then... makes fun of... people who'd point out that the age of consent in japan is actually 16/18 and the 'the age of consent is 13' thing is just something idiots online believe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O06tMbIKh0&t=720s

like, seriously, what is this bit. the person shes making fun of says the age of consent in japan is 16/18 but also talks about how its okay to gently caress teenagers because they're sexually mature? what the hell is this bit. i still dont understand what point she was trying to make or who she was making fun of.

and thats kind of my general experience with her videos, there's often good points but there's also a lot of bizarre asides where she makes fun of some hyperspecific person who only exists in her head and doesnt even make sense as representing a coherent counterargument.

I see, thank you both! I didn't see her BatB video, but I've looked at the "mask off" one, and she genuily made some very bad and offensive content - I do wonder if it's something that was waiting in someone's vault to spring in a deluge, all at one.

Regardless, it's hardly the focus of this thread - I was just curious, so thank you for taking the time to answer:)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
what on earth is a fault claim

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Personally I don't wish Ellis the best in light of the whole 'browbeat and wrote out someone who was sexually assaulted by someone else in ellis' social circle' bit but hey.

If you are talking about the Toddintheshadows thing going on in the Rapidly Going Deaf thread there is a lot questionable about that case, but this is going way off topic from video games.

edit: If nothing else I do think it's true the internet is weirdly fixated on Lindsay Ellis's life over literally anyone else. I don't even know how this started.

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 25, 2021

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Well guess Game Grumps survived it. Time heals all wounds or at least erases all memories.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mycot posted:

If you are talking about the Toddintheshadows thing going on in the Rapidly Going Deaf thread there is a lot questionable about that case, but this is going way off topic from video games.

edit: If nothing else I do think it's true the internet is weirdly fixated on Lindsay Ellis's life over literally anyone else. I don't even know how this started.

i went from firmly believing jourdain to being fairly certain she's completely full of total bullshit after her response to the statements by todd and lina. she's changed her story, deleted her changed story, and then changed it again several times now, and that was after her initial response was 'why are they even replying to tweets that didn't target them in the first place (that totally actually did)'. i don't trust a goddamn thing she says anymore.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i went from firmly believing jourdain to being fairly certain she's completely full of total bullshit after her response to the statements by todd and lina. she's changed her story, deleted her changed story, and then changed it again several times now, and that was after her initial response was 'why are they even replying to tweets that didn't target them in the first place (that totally actually did)'. i don't trust a goddamn thing she says anymore.

same. like i said in critic thread. i think alot of this poo poo is because they get into weird quiet toxic fights and then get mad at each other and then wait for said person to gently caress up and then dump all the drama/dirt when the poo poo hits. it doesnt help that you have folks like selene who record every sin/"sin" that any critic/internet person has ever commited no matter what the context, so they can dump them so they can get a head on the wall. jourdain was basicaly hoping that would happen again, but she made it too obvious and hosed around and found out.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's possible for someone to realize something was sexual assault later on after the fact but communicating it through nudge nudge wink wink subtweets for years is not a great start.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://twitter.com/quintonflynn/status/1384197994120028171?s=20

Hmm yes, these 4 different women all decided to false accuse him. That sounds legit.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ah gently caress, first it was Edward Elric, then it was Raiden.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

RatHat posted:

https://twitter.com/quintonflynn/status/1384197994120028171?s=20

Hmm yes, these 4 different women all decided to false accuse him. That sounds legit.

Its been a while since I saw someone accused make a well-crafted lie. Most of the time its transparently wishy-washy bullshit, but this dude doesnt even let you know multiple women accused him until image 2 (immediately after the paragraph about how how the account made up lies about a different relationship) then immediately goes back to talking about this Kristen person and never once mentions ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Control Volume posted:

Its been a while since I saw someone accused make a well-crafted lie. Most of the time its transparently wishy-washy bullshit, but this dude doesnt even let you know multiple women accused him until image 2 (immediately after the paragraph about how how the account made up lies about a different relationship) then immediately goes back to talking about this Kristen person and never once mentions ages.

His focus is entirely on Kristen because that's the one he's got courtroom vindication on.

Only registered members can see post attachments!