Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m on episode 4 of Legend of Korra season 2 and it’s weirdly better than I remember? Maybe my expectations were so high when it originally aired whereas now I think of it as “the bad season” so it’s nice that it’s actually entertaining.

Korra is still a lot dumber than she was in season 1 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/spiderverse/status/1384276847035174920

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Huzzah! The first into the Spider-verse was wonderful, been really looking forward to a sequel.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Are Lord and Miller attached to the sequel too?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I have no idea what he's been doing for the last decade or so, but I know that any time I was watching an episode of Justice League Unlimited and Joaquim Dos Santos showed up in the opening credits, it was time to buckle up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Macaluso posted:

Are Lord and Miller attached to the sequel too?

Yes, they’re writing and producing still.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Sir Lemming posted:

I have no idea what he's been doing for the last decade or so, but I know that any time I was watching an episode of Justice League Unlimited and Joaquim Dos Santos showed up in the opening credits, it was time to buckle up.

he's been pretty heavily involved with Voltron and Korra

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wow that’s great news. He was a stellar director on Justice League, Avatar and Korra (and I assume Voltron too, I never saw it) but it’s amazing he now gets to work in a feature capacity.

Although the majority of animated features are mediocre. But not Spiderverse!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5pioeLm4OI

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I wish Warner Bros would attempt a Batman Beyond movie after spiderverses success

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I like how Warner Bros has made a hundred direct to video animated features based off their comics and comic book tv shows, including some pretty bad BTAS/DCAU movies, but not one Batman Beyond movie after Return of the Joker.

Maybe it's for the best and we'd just get the Batman Beyond version of MYSTERY OF THE BATWOMAN?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The_Doctor posted:

Yes, they’re writing and producing still.

Hell yeah

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah after the perfection that is Return of the Joker I'm not sure I want them to return to that world. The Batman Beyond comics DC has come out with are awful.

Clumsy Card House
Jan 6, 2008

Anybody watch Arlo the Alligator Boy on Netflix? It's not groundbreaking or anything but it's super cute and the soundtrack is pretty good. I recommend it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ccs posted:

Yeah after the perfection that is Return of the Joker I'm not sure I want them to return to that world. The Batman Beyond comics DC has come out with are awful.

They did some followup interviews with the producers for some anniversary thing, and Bruce Timm said that if ROTJ was successful, a followup DTV movie would have shown Selina was behind Terry's birth instead of Waller.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think Spider-Verse weakens the spiderman idea of "a great hero can be anyone from anywhere" by making it "Anyone from anywhere must become spiderman"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

I think Spider-Verse weakens the spiderman idea of "a great hero can be anyone from anywhere" by making it "Anyone from anywhere must become spiderman"

??

If there's anything Spiderverse drives home it's that the idea of Spider Man (and by extension, heroes in general) is subject to wildly different interpretations but have a common goal of doing good.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

flashy_mcflash posted:

??

If there's anything Spiderverse drives home it's that the idea of Spider Man (and by extension, heroes in general) is subject to wildly different interpretations but have a common goal of doing good.

But why are they all Spider Man

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

FunkyAl posted:

3 of them weren’t men.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

The_Doctor posted:

3 of them weren’t men.

Why are the women spider-man themed?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Duh, they got bitten by a radioactive spider-man. Think about it before you say something silly!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

FunkyAl posted:

Why are the women spider-man themed?

Because then the message ‘anyone can be Spider-Man’ gets a bit lost. ‘Anyone can be a spider-themed superhero’ isn’t really as strong.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

flashy_mcflash posted:

??

I was thinking along these lines after rewatching The Lego Batman Movie the other day. It and Into the Spider-Verse are two of my favourite movies of the last decade, and they both involve smashing multiple different interpretations/versions of well-known characters into the same setting. I have a fairly uninformed comic book background (seen some movies, never read anything), so it's not my deep connection or knowledge, but there's something magical about putting those different versions side-by-side.

And I guess doing an absolutely killer job on the production. That helps too.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

FunkyAl posted:

Spider-Ham is a spider who was bitten by a radioactive pig.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

BioEnchanted posted:

Duh, they got bitten by a radioactive spider-man. Think about it before you say something silly!

Then what's Spider Ham doing there? He was bitten by a radioactive pig! E: hehehehe

The_Doctor posted:

Because then the message ‘anyone can be Spider-Man’ gets a bit lost. ‘Anyone can be a spider-themed superhero’ isn’t really as strong.

What I mean to say is that the specificity of them being all a variation on the same character weakens the fiction. Spider-Man 2 is the one people like, still, because it's a movie about struggling to do good things while you are poor or down on your luck or just reaching your limits as a human being. The thing where he saves everyone on the train car is great because it's a real evocation of what kind of labors go into making sure these people can get around a city safely, and help them when things go bad. Later, Joey Diaz, a cuban immgrant not wearing superhero clothes, stands up to the insane cyborg trying to kill this kid who just saved them.

But when it's five people who are variations on the same special event happening, That feels like it's missing that point. Miles gets robbed of real character growth, because he trying to live up more to the spider men than he is reacting to his environment. The stuff with his uncle could and should have been the whole movie.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

But there are other non spider heroes in the Spider Man universe. Iron Man exists. Miles' dad exists (ACAB aside).

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

flashy_mcflash posted:

But there are other non spider heroes in the Spider Man universe. Iron Man exists. Miles' dad exists (ACAB aside).

Right, the stuff with Miles's dad is good. Having two father-ish figures with very different perspectives on rightness and justice is great for a character learning that he needs to decide for himself what is right. Having five spidermans and a scene where they all get cool weapons in aunt mays basement dexter's laboratory is not adding anything to that.

And there is no iron man in the spider verse, because they did not draw him into that movie.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FunkyAl posted:

But when it's five people who are variations on the same special event happening, That feels like it's missing that point. Miles gets robbed of real character growth, because he trying to live up more to the spider men than he is reacting to his environment. The stuff with his uncle could and should have been the whole movie.

The stuff with his uncle's death and the other spider folk is genuinely weird. Having everyone opening up about their own loss they've experienced as heroes is both quite touching and neatly foregrounds their unwillingness to let Miles, as an untested newbie, contribute to the big attack on the dimension machine. But on the other hand, it reframes Uncle Aaron's death from a tragic murder to something perversely necessary. Miles had to have someone close to him die, that's just how it is with spider people.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Schwarzwald posted:

The stuff with his uncle's death and the other spider folk is genuinely weird. Having everyone opening up about their own loss they've experienced as heroes is both quite touching and neatly foregrounds their unwillingness to let Miles, as an untested newbie, contribute to the big attack on the dimension machine. But on the other hand, it reframes Uncle Aaron's death from a tragic murder to something perversely necessary. Miles had to have someone close to him die, that's just how it is with spider people.

Yeah, exactly. It's analytical.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Nah, you're getting hung up on the sense of death vs the representation of loss in the Spider-mythos.

The loss experienced by each iteration is unique to their psyche -- Gwen loses a friend and hence feels that her relationships are fraught with danger, Nor loses Robbie and discards the idea that journalism and truth-seeking is an effective counter to fascism, Miles gets two losses with Peter being the concept of heroics being something that all works out for you and Aaron being the 'wrong path thing that his parents fear.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There are likely other hero’s. But maybe there are only Spider-Heroes coming through as they’re consistently the only ones who fight Kingpin when he’s making a wormhole machine.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

IUG posted:

There are likely other hero’s. But maybe there are only Spider-Heroes coming through as they’re consistently the only ones who fight Kingpin when he’s making a wormhole machine.

It’s all Spider-People because Spider-Man came into contact with the vortex when they first turned it on, so it was keyed to him.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Also Sony doesn't have the rights to use the other superheroes.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
every child must grow up to become a spider

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It is every parents duty to take their only child to action adventure movies of people with animal-themed callsigns until both parents are murdered in an ally. Thats just basic parenting facts

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
You could make a superhero like....Mongoose Man. The Stone Goliath. The incredible hollerin' woman. Why live in fear

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

it is my wish to become the spider that crawls into your mouth when you sleep. Am I an urban myth? Well sleep with your mouth open as long as you want

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

quail-themed superhero with exactly two moves: flee the scene, or have a dust bath

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

The Saddest Rhino posted:

it is my wish to become the spider that crawls into your mouth when you sleep. Am I an urban myth? Well sleep with your mouth open as long as you want

spiders georg, spiders georg, teaches gen z how statistical outliers works,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

my latest bakshipiece has arrived, and with it a whole new trove of reaction images for every occasion