Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Time for a Rock'em Sock'em Robots movie starring Vin Diesel!

quote:

Vin Diesel is set to star in and produce a live-action feature version of the tabletop boxing game Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots.

Mattel Films is behind the project and is partnering with Universal, the studio behind Diesel's beloved Fast & Furious franchise.

Ryan Engle, the writer behind Dwayne Johnson starrer Rampage, penned the screenplay for the action-adventure, which follows a father and son who form an unlikely bond with an advanced war machine.

Diesel and Samantha Vincent will produce via One Race Films. Kevin McKeon will oversee the project for Mattel.

Mattel is in the works on live-action adaptations of their other game and toy IPs, including Barbie, Barney, Hot Wheels and Magic 8 Ball. With Universal, the company is developing a feature version of the popular 90s tv series Wishbone.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/vin-diesel-to-star-in-rock-em-sock-em-robots-movie-for-universal-mattel

No, it's not Real Steel 2, despite Real Steel being a good movie that should have a sequel and this film having the exact same plot from the line there.

Also Magic 8 Ball movie!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Real Steel is far better than it ought to be, but it works better not being a franchise. It wrapped up nicely.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Hey, they managed to squeeze not one but two movies out of a Ouija board, this isn't the most insane thing I've read today...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I hope the Magic 8-Ball movie is just a feature-length version of the Magic 8-Ball episode of Review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnbr9BZHJ2A

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Tars Tarkas posted:

Time for a Rock'em Sock'em Robots movie starring Vin Diesel!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/vin-diesel-to-star-in-rock-em-sock-em-robots-movie-for-universal-mattel

No, it's not Real Steel 2, despite Real Steel being a good movie that should have a sequel and this film having the exact same plot from the line there.

Real Steel? Surely you mean Robot Jox.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
once again Vin Diesel will shoehorn in his DND character

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Timby posted:

Hey, they managed to squeeze not one but two movies out of a Ouija board, this isn't the most insane thing I've read today...

And I think the second one was directed by Mike Flanagan and is not terrible. At least that's what the horror nerds I know said.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its not really worth seeking out or anything but its a perfectly decent horror movie. As opposed to the first Ouija which is extra terrible.

The thing is, in the sub genre of "toy products turned into movies" making a competent horror movie about a Ouija board shouldn't be that hard.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Magic 8-Ball movie is just essentially that Twilight Zone episode with William Shatner stuck in the diner with the fortune-telling devil toy

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Still waiting for that Monopoly movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Casimir Radon posted:

Real Steel is far better than it ought to be, but it works better not being a franchise. It wrapped up nicely.

Probably because it's just a Twilight Zone episode

Timby posted:

There's like 5

Len fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 20, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Edit: double post

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AceOfFlames posted:

Yeah that's been in development hell for about two decades at this point

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah that's been in development hell for about two decades at this point

Something Monopoly-related taking forever and not really going anywhere, you say.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Something Monopoly-related taking forever and not really going anywhere, you say.

It takes like an hour if you play by the rules

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alan Smithee posted:

once again Vin Diesel will shoehorn in his DND character

In the climactic scene he'll rip off his glove to reveal a street shark and win the fight with that after his robot breaks.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

Now you've made me remember the TV version of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOktWeLzWNc

It was terrible.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Len posted:

It takes like an hour if you play by the rules

No one ever wants to play by the rules.

No don't put money on Free Parking you idiots we're going to be here all day. :negative:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Vandar posted:

No don't put money on Free Parking you idiots we're going to be here all day. :negative:

That "rule" isn't even that bad, it's more when people don't follow the rules of auctioning off the properties straight away.

Anyway, I'm pumped for the Monopoly Cinematic Universe - one movie where Pennybags goes to jail and had to gamble his way out, another screwball comedy where a dog is a community organiser who wins a beauty contest, that kinda thing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jake and Logan Paul will own Park Place and Boardwalk and will have multiple hotels on each property.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Vandar posted:

I've got a coworker who says monopoly takes forever but puts money on free parking and if you land on go you get $400

I recently found out that if you bankrupt someone in Monopoly you have to immediately pay the bank for all their mortgaged properties. Either the full value to bring it back online or 10%. That drags more money out of the economy and can possibly put you into a death spiral

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Monopoly sucks and only exists to take up space on a family game shelf, never to be enjoyed by anyone but the most ruthless capitalist in the group.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't know if Monopoly is actually somehow popular with goons or if they just have to defend it because of technically-correctism.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I don't know if Monopoly is actually somehow popular with goons or if they just have to defend it because of technically-correctism.

My running joke at my local game store in the pre-covid days was to suggest Megalopoly at every local meetup.

It was a miserable endurance challenge but I won and we revised the rules for the next game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The real game everyone can enjoy is Hungry Hungry Hippos.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The most metaphorically capitalist game of all

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As Giantbomb.com once predicted:

*Cut to a darkened room with a slide show projected on the wall being presented to several hotshot military figures. "Gentleman,there are two things we know about the enemy. They are hungry (long pause), and they are hungry. Get to your chutes and ladders."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I remember like more than a decade ago the Adult Swim show Robot Chicken doing a Hungry Hungry Hippos movie sketch

also if this were like 2005 we would have had someone like Johnny Depp as a wacky Rich Uncle Pennybags

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Monopoly sucks and only exists to take up space on a family game shelf, never to be enjoyed by anyone but the most ruthless capitalist in the group.

Not only does it suck, it was originally specifically designed to suck to demonstrate that capitalism sucks.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Well, specifically, the Landlord's Game had different rules, when it was bought it got made more boring.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

They did a grest job making Hugh Jackman a piece of poo poo and a loser. The precise reason why there will never be another good Vin Diesel movie bc his ego cant handle it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I love Monopoly. I lie, cheat, steal, debate every single point, make deals with other players to bend the rules... if it's a game about capitalism then I figure you have to play it that way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well, specifically, the Landlord's Game had different rules, when it was bought it got made more boring.

I get the impression that Landlord's Game isn't so much as game as it is a lesson in economic mobility. I doubt it was actually much fun to play.

I hate Monopoly because my brother lied and cheated constantly while playing it growing up which just made it not fun because I have no desire to do the same. But I'm not a competitive person so Monopoly is a bit too cuthroat for my liking regardless. Plus I'm a very risk-averse person, so any game that pushes you to play high-risk-high-reward is not for me.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I had a about a year as a kid when I was obsessed with Monopoly but eventually got bored of it, and now they got rid of the iron which was the piece I always picked, so now it's dead to me, I don't care how many fun versions you make.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

I had a about a year as a kid when I was obsessed with Monopoly but eventually got bored of it, and now they got rid of the iron which was the piece I always picked, so now it's dead to me, I don't care how many fun versions you make.

This but for the thimble.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The basic flaw in Monopoly is you can only win by eliminating everyone else, but you can only do so indirectly, by gradually crowding them out of the market. In theory players could shorten it by conceding when they clearly have no path forward but the endgame just seems naturally drawn out.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
a leftist boardgame called guillotine :guillotine:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Alan Smithee posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillotine_%28game%29?wprov=sfla1

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Pandemic but we all just call the disease "Capitalism"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine