Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Marsupial Ape posted:

Man, I’m wondering just how hosed up the rest of the universe is, right now.

Also, just rewatched the first The Avengers. Jesus, what a turd. So glad Whedon is gone.

Avengers has probably the biggest audience reaction moment in the entire mcu (puny god, yes more than "on your left") and one of the two moments in the entire mcu that genuinely thrilled me (the Thanos reveal, Nick Fury at the end of the first Iron Man is the other) so for as much as Whedon is an rear end, the movie isn't all bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Kaedric posted:

Lotta LIBERALS UP IN HERE

Comrade, being a Twitter leftist still puts you in the same neoliberal ballpark with the rest of us. No matter how hard you try, you’re gonna defenestrate out that Overton Window.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I have zero recollection of on your left

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

howe_sam posted:

Avengers has probably the biggest audience reaction moment in the entire mcu (puny god, yes more than "on your left") and one of the two moments in the entire mcu that genuinely thrilled me (the Thanos reveal, Nick Fury at the end of the first Iron Man is the other) so for as much as Whedon is an rear end, the movie isn't all bad.

Entirely anecdotal because not every audience is the same, but Cap lifting Mjolnir and the “on your left” portals scene made puny god pale in comparison.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Azhais posted:

I have zero recollection of on your left

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUmBBroV8kw

Edit: Oh ffs that one cuts the Endgame one short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE1P4zDhhqw

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/thatdaringman/status/1384254189430181901?s=19

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
'Puny God' is one of many very stupid stupid things that happen in Avengers

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

wut

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Rockstar Massacre posted:

'Puny God' is one of many very stupid stupid things that happen in Avengers

'Puny god' is a fun scene. As is the follow-up in Thor: Ragnarok.

Sorry about your sad sense of humor.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Scarlett Johannson played the Asian lead in the live-action Ghost In The Shell.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Just rewatched Iron Man 3. It’s a lot better than I remember. Kind of thought AIM was wasted, hope it get resurrected.

At the end, Tony says he got Pepper ‘sorted out’ concerning the Extremis enhancement forced on her. Does that mean Tony completely removed it or simply stabilized the enhancement so she can’t go boom? Is Pepper still a super human? Could Extremis have been passed onto her daughter?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Was greeted by this on my Netflix homescreen tonight.

I had totally forgotten about this movie, and I had especially forgotten it had Thor and Helmut Zemo in it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Retrowave Joe posted:

Entirely anecdotal because not every audience is the same, but Cap lifting Mjolnir and the “on your left” portals scene made puny god pale in comparison.

Cap lifting Mjolnir is the loudest cinema experience I've ever had but Thor arriving in Wakanda also deserves mention. If nothing else, the Russos know how to time a reveal.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gonz posted:

I had totally forgotten about this movie, and I had especially forgotten it had Thor and Helmut Zemo in it.

I wonder how Zemo feels about Asgardians, since their superhuman abilities are by birth and they're not even technically human.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Barry Convex posted:

This is absolutely what they're doing for all their upcoming theatrical releases, not just Marvel Studios films. note that Black Widow is a theatrical/Premier Access hybrid, whereas Jungle Cruise, releasing later the same month, is still officially theatrical-only for now. Right now, things are looking reasonably good for the viability of a theatrical-only release in September, let alone November, but that could change.

anyway who's ready for even more award-winning middle-aged actresses in the MCU

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1384177081832017937

Soph from Peep Show being an Oscar winner is one of those things that'll never be not surreal.

It's like Eminem being a Tony away from the EGOT.

Gonz posted:

Brühl and Hemsworth are an absolute treat in Rush, it's legit one of my top tier films.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

I wonder how Zemo feels about Asgardians, since their superhuman abilities are by birth and they're not even technically human.

They seem pretty content fishing up in Norway and not getting into superpowered shenanigans. Plus, Zemo might empathize with them since he knows what it's like to have your homeland obliterated.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

live with fruit posted:

They seem pretty content fishing up in Norway and not getting into superpowered shenanigans. Plus, Zemo might empathize with them since he knows what it's like to have your homeland obliterated.

I've always wondered how that was set up. Did like the Asgardians just show up and say, "Hey, remember us from your mythology? Well, we're real and we kind of need a place to crash."

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Lammasu posted:

I've always wondered how that was set up. Did like the Asgardians just show up and say, "Hey, remember us from your mythology? Well, we're real and we kind of need a place to crash."

That's how it's always sounded. Plus, with everything going on in F/WS with Karli and the GRC, the townsfolk probably welcomed them with open arms.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 20, 2021

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Marsupial Ape posted:

Just rewatched Iron Man 3. It’s a lot better than I remember. Kind of thought AIM was wasted, hope it get resurrected.

At the end, Tony says he got Pepper ‘sorted out’ concerning the Extremis enhancement forced on her. Does that mean Tony completely removed it or simply stabilized the enhancement so she can’t go boom? Is Pepper still a super human? Could Extremis have been passed onto her daughter?

That plot was basically dropped. But yeah, if she's got extremis powers + power armor she's basically one of the strongest superheroes we know of

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Polaron posted:

Yeah, the show hasn't really said why the organization designed to help the half of humanity who died and came back is evil and needs resisting beyond "We're not special anymore" spite. Karli keeps saying the world was a utopia before everyone came back but it looked pretty dire in Endgame.

She really doesn't say that. She says things were "better." And they probably were for some people - especially people which had things suck for them. Figure the U.S. Presidential election during that time would have had immigration as a huge issue in terms of "I can get way more immigrants than him!" Then, five years out, the "Snapped" return. They want their jobs back. And their homes/stuff back. And as much as it sucks for the new people, those are not unreasonable things for the "Snapped" to want or get. It's not like they volunteered to get Snapped.

Fan-wanking it, the GRC was formed with the mission of getting the Snapped back into their lives again with the immigrants/displaced being a side issue to that. So the "side issue" got stuffed into "temporary housing" AKA camps and kind of forgotten. The GRC needs resisting because some of those forgotten side issues are dying from diseases because the medicine to cure them is gathering dust in GRC warehouses instead of going where it's needed.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Retrowave Joe posted:

Oh totally, I will say though, that the first time I saw Avengers in a theater, I didn't hear Hulk say puny god because the audience reaction to Hulk smashing the tar out of Loki was so loud. That wasn't the case with Endgame, which I saw in the same theater, but obviously not the same audience.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Oh totally, I will say though, that the first time I saw Avengers in a theater, I didn't hear Hulk say puny god because the audience reaction to Hulk smashing the tar out of Loki was so loud. That wasn't the case with Endgame, which I saw in the same theater, but obviously not the same audience.

On that note, theaters offer a unique experience but I've enjoyed watching a movie for the first time in my own home since I pick up on more.

Theaters are amazing for stuff like Rocky Horror Picture Show showings. Stuff where audience participation is basically expected.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If the audience is drowning out the dialogue of a new movie then either the volume is nowhere near loud enough or people need to shut the gently caress up and watch.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Floppychop posted:

On that note, theaters offer a unique experience but I've enjoyed watching a movie for the first time in my own home since I pick up on more.

Theaters are amazing for stuff like Rocky Horror Picture Show showings. Stuff where audience participation is basically expected.

I would be of the opinion that while most movies are better seen at home, big action blockbusters are one of the few exceptions, because the huge screen and expensive sound system compliment them far more than they would the average comedy, romance film etc. I do think there are a few other exceptions though, notably 3D films. At least, properly made 3D films where the film is made from the ground up to be 3D, not just something that was tacked on later. Of which I can only think of a handful personally (Avatar and Dr. Strange are basically it).

stev posted:

If the audience is drowning out the dialogue of a new movie then either the volume is nowhere near loud enough or people need to shut the gently caress up and watch.

This seems to be an almost uniquely American phenomenon. I'm sure it does happen elsewhere, at least occasionally, but I've never been in a cinema where the audience was even close to loud enough to drown out the audio and never even heard of it happening outside America personally.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

tsob posted:

I would be of the opinion that while most movies are better seen at home, big action blockbusters are one of the few exceptions, because the huge screen and expensive sound system compliment them far more than they would the average comedy, romance film etc. I do think there are a few other exceptions though, notably 3D films. At least, properly made 3D films where the film is made from the ground up to be 3D, not just something that was tacked on later. Of which I can only think of a handful personally (Avatar and Dr. Strange are basically it).

I generally avoid 3D movies at all costs, just because so many are of the style where it's just tacked on later (like you said). But the first movie I saw in 3D that made me think "this is cool" was TRON 2, it added depth to the screen without gratuitous pop-outs.

quote:

This seems to be an almost uniquely American phenomenon. I'm sure it does happen elsewhere, at least occasionally, but I've never been in a cinema where the audience was even close to loud enough to drown out the audio and never even heard of it happening outside America personally.

Pre-COVID I worked in a theater, and American audiences are almost universally crazy loud. I absolutely hate it, and I'm born and raised in the US.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I think of the audience moments in Avengers vs. Endgame and maybe I'm stretching, but I think they've learned to play into the audience reaction beats a little more. Like, puny god is after the moment, the audience might still be reacting, and its a genuinely great line sorta muttered by a character that isn't the most intelligible anyway. Meanwhile, Cap lifting Mjolnir doesn't have particularly noteworthy lines associated with it, "On Your Left" kicks off the sequence, and "Avengers Assemble" is telegraphed by a lot of audio and visual cues to get the audience to settle down for just a moment.

All that said, I see both sides. I'm glad I heard the lines the first time through in my theatre, but drat if the videos of packed auditoriums with cheering don't sound fun. I'm a whore for these things, it isn't like I didn't know I was going to watch it at least once more going in. I'd probably feel different if these movies weren't such cultural events.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Retrowave Joe posted:

The Endgame reveals are the biggest audience moments by far, but anyone pointing to "Puny god" in Avengers 1 and disregarding "That's my secret, Cap" is working from revisionist history.

stev posted:

Lol that you actually believe this.

EDIT: If you're going to build big audience moments into your movie, it's on you to structure your pacing and dialogue to give those moments room to breathe and not step on your plotting. There's plenty of video of people reacting to big action/horror/dramatic moments in movies to make clear that it's not a uniquely American response.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 20, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/andykhouri/status/1382411639111053312
https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/1382428623739699200
https://twitter.com/buckycap/status/1382462443440377859

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Feige always seemed to clean.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
one of my most memorable theater experiences was growing up in memphis and went to a showing of halloween H2O and ll cool j came back people flipped out it was awesome, i'd expect similar reactions in movies, hell, people marked out hard when yoda showed off his skills in episode 2.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

live with fruit posted:

Feige always seemed to clean.

His assistant's fault though, not Feige himself.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

One of the Marvel Studios VPs is leaving the door open to more Falcon and Winter Soldier, and possibly more Loki, but shoots down any idea that there could be more WandaVision (for obvious reasons).

https://www.ign.com/articles/loki-and-falcon-winter-soldier-could-get-multiple-seasons-wandavision-far-less-likely

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The only small issue with a Season 2 would be that the name would have to change to Captain America and the White Wolf.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

No one heard "puny god" in the theater and it was great. Bruce Banner / the Hulk had spent the movie being the guy that everyone was afraid of - even to the point where that fear was being used by the villain as a weapon. Getting to Loki and paying him back (along with being earlier accepted by the team) had a lot of punch.

It was the loudest I've ever hear an audience laugh and it's no surprise the movie makers didn't expect the line to be drowned out.

The first time I've ever heard an audience get totally silent was during Titanic when the band gave up on saving themselves and started to play. No shuffling feet, no one munching on popcorn.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Having a really awesome time peeking behind the scenes on all these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z4wozYjvug
Mackie talks fave Falcon moments and cals Seb "Most Boring Man on Earth"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOuCoJOnKkA
Seth Myers interview with Stan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00LvTCyvydU
WARNING: Extremely cringe! Host is extremely lame! Here is the winner of the Chris Evans Love contest He texts Mackie back first but immediately texts Seb afterwards with "Sorry he beat you by 1 second"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwqhgk78kZA
Daniel's voice is so cute OMG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utJNuSw2iQE
Let's hear it from Da Bad Guys!

BONUS ROUND:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M066z4120rw
If you can watch this without laughing you're a better Tom Holland fan than me!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

The only small issue with a Season 2 would be that the name would have to change to Captain America and the White Wolf.

I’m low key hoping that this last episode will have Captain America and the White Wolf fade in

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I remember watching Infinity War in a relatively filled theatre, but not packed, and after the credits were all done and I walked out, there was a pair of ladies who had come out just before me. One was sitting on a bench and asked her friend "are you okay?" The other was on her hands and knees weeping and she replied "No I'm not okay I just wanna diiiiieeeee" :smith:

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Everyone posted:

She really doesn't say that. She says things were "better." And they probably were for some people - especially people which had things suck for them. Figure the U.S. Presidential election during that time would have had immigration as a huge issue in terms of "I can get way more immigrants than him!" Then, five years out, the "Snapped" return. They want their jobs back. And their homes/stuff back. And as much as it sucks for the new people, those are not unreasonable things for the "Snapped" to want or get. It's not like they volunteered to get Snapped.

Fan-wanking it, the GRC was formed with the mission of getting the Snapped back into their lives again with the immigrants/displaced being a side issue to that. So the "side issue" got stuffed into "temporary housing" AKA camps and kind of forgotten. The GRC needs resisting because some of those forgotten side issues are dying from diseases because the medicine to cure them is gathering dust in GRC warehouses instead of going where it's needed.

Adding to the fanwank, the GRC also have opportunists who want the displaced back to their country since it's likely there will be a lot of dissidents and political refugees fleeing their home country during the snap when working conditions became too much. Look at the pandemic and see how civil liberties just die under it, now imagine after the Snap, labor laws meant to protect you are suspended in the name of sustaining the infrastructure, assembly bans that don't go away to keep labor actions from happening. If you have a chance to get out, you would flee your country asap

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

gyrobot posted:

Look at the pandemic and see how civil liberties just die under it,
I hope you don’t mean the United States, because at worst we’ve been inconvenienced. I’m pretty sure you’re talking about other places, but I live in fly over chud country and I now have a short fuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sonatinas posted:

one of my most memorable theater experiences was growing up in memphis and went to a showing of halloween H2O and ll cool j came back people flipped out it was awesome, i'd expect similar reactions in movies, hell, people marked out hard when yoda showed off his skills in episode 2.

Hello fellow Memphian. :) My first time going to the theatre was at the Paradiso to see The Phantom Menace and everyone lost their mind when Darth Maul switched on his second lightsaber. :vince: