Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah that was nuts. Really was. But an interesting footnote.

They should have just combined episodes 1 and 4. Maybe Netflix ordered 4 episodes and they were like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I almost want to watch to see how they stretched it out so much. Even with going over the internet theorizing nonsense aspect of it I'd be hard pressed to do more than an hour on the case.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
There’s actually a lot of extra info about the Cecil Hotel itself and it’s links to other crimes, deaths, and murders which I found wayyyyyy more interesting than all the obnoxious internet sleuths.

edit: holy poo poo this is by the same guy that directed the Paradise Lost documentaries?!

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 15, 2021

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

But all the Cecil stuff is completely unrelated to the case. Utterly unimportant.

Oh man it's the same director? What a shame, it's not even in the same league. I mean the English couple... what the gently caress. Wasting my drat time

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Alan_Shore posted:

But all the Cecil stuff is completely unrelated to the case. Utterly unimportant.

Oh man it's the same director? What a shame, it's not even in the same league. I mean the English couple... what the gently caress. Wasting my drat time

Yeah. "we got there after everything happened and have nothing to do with anything." Uhhhhh.

Web sleuth.

Who the gently caress greenlighted this?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

True crime documentaries are to Netflix and streaming services in general what cheap slasher flicks were to the late 1980s movie industry. They’re super cheap to make and probably guarantee at least a minimal return.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Wait, what? I thought after reading a bunch and watching lots of "unsolved"-type youtubes that the elisa lam thing was just a really sad case of mental illness? does this doc demonstrate something more was going on? I know it all seemed very spooky but there was never anything concrete to point to in terms of fishiness

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Does anyone know where I can find "Secrets of Blackmoor"? It seems to have been scrubbed from the internet. If there's a doc streaming service I don't know about please let me know.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hooplah posted:

Wait, what? I thought after reading a bunch and watching lots of "unsolved"-type youtubes that the elisa lam thing was just a really sad case of mental illness? does this doc demonstrate something more was going on? I know it all seemed very spooky but there was never anything concrete to point to in terms of fishiness

It was a woman who had some kind of episode who fell (or jumped) into a water tank. Like a lot of unsolved mysteries misinformation was spread online to make it out to be more than it was. I could understand maybe getting two episodes if you really go in depth about the internet stuff and how they turned it into something it wasn't but four episode is absurd.

I'm pretty sure the YouTube video I watched that debunked all the "mysterious" elements was less than half an hour long.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 16, 2021

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

That's what i figured.

anyone else ever check out Conspiracy of Silence? Did a search of the thread and didn't see any talk of it. british doc about the franklin credit scandal.

here's some info from the youtube description:

quote:

In mid-1993, after The Franklin Cover-Up had been circulating for almost a year, the British-based TV station, Yorkshire Television, sent a top-notch team to Nebraska to launch its own investigation of the Franklin case. Yorkshire had a contract with the Discovery Channel to produce a documentary on the case for American television.

They spent many months in Nebraska, and also travelled this country from one end to the other, interviewing, filming, and documenting piece-by-piece the Franklin story as I had told it in the book. They spent somewhere between a quarter-million and one-half million dollars investigating the story, deploying probably a thousand times the resources and abilities that I personally had.

Over the year that I worked with them, I was amazed at the team’s ability to gather new documents and witnesses which kept opening up new and frightening facts about Franklin. They were a crack team. In the final weeks that they were in Nebraska, they expressed their certainty that they would win awards for this documented horror story of government-sanctioned abuse of children; and government protection of some of this country’s most powerful businessmen and politicians, who had been the chief acts in the Franklin story.

Finally, the big day came. Their documentary was to air nation-wide on the Discovery Channel on May 3, 1994. It was advertised in the TV Guide and in newspapers for that day. But no one ever saw that program. At the last minute, and without explanation, it was pulled from the air. It was not shown then, and has never been broadcast anywhere since.

there's some pretty wild accusations, but given the books written on the topic, it seems there was probably a lot of truth to it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Anyone have links for the last few episodes? 4-6 are showing as not available in the US.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hooplah posted:

That's what i figured.

anyone else ever check out Conspiracy of Silence? Did a search of the thread and didn't see any talk of it. british doc about the franklin credit scandal.

here's some info from the youtube description:

there's some pretty wild accusations, but given the books written on the topic, it seems there was probably a lot of truth to it.

Yep, it pops up on YouTube every so often.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
The Elisa Lam case is admittedly very weird, especially with the elevator video and the gross out factor of how they finally discovered the body. It’s one of those cases where it’s just “we don’t know exactly what happened but there’s nothing pointing to anything other than an accident.” (once the hatch question was finally settled)

As usual, a bunch of people making stream-of-consciousness YouTube videos don’t add much to the story.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If there’s anything ‘Don’t gently caress With Cats’ proved, it’s that internet detectives importance is pretty much polar opposite to their belief. Not that this really came as a surprise to anyone outside those circles.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just found a great documentary on YouTube about Marvin Heemeyer (the killdozer guy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AuJohMrq5Y

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYo1ydur000

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I was really looking forward to Q: Into the Storm on HBO and now that I’m 4 episodes in I’m pretty annoyed. It’s really slick and everything but 4 episodes in they haven’t even done a small 3 minute segment on what Tye Q followers actually believe. Bits and pieces are interspersed throughout in talking head segments but just a quick outline of what the followers actually say the conspiracy actually is would go a long way.

It’s clearly trying to make the people running 8chan look ridiculous, it would only help that by doing a little tiny segment saying “and this is what all that q research on 8chan is actually talking about” to drive home just how dumb the whole loving thing is.

As it stands now at 4 episodes in it’s just a slicky produced garbage documentary about 8chan with a side of “tech giants shouldn’t silence people”

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 20, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It doesn't really change, the whole show seems to be about the rehabilitation of Fred and gawking at the 8chan guys weirdness. It kinda feels like it should've just been about the effect of 'free speech' on the web and the people who push it, rather than basing it just around Q. There's not really any real (on screen, at least) attempt to work out who and why it was started, just who happens to be running it now when it's at the point where Q themselves simply doesn't matter.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It’s about how a 4chan pol poster suddenly was able to actually wield power

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8396314

Raoul Peck's newest tv-series feels like more of a essay than a regular documentary, but it is well worth a watch. If you liked his previous documentary "I am not your negro" you will definitely like this one.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Is Philly DA on any of you's radar?

https://www.pbs.org/independentlens/films/philly-da/?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=pbsofficial&utm_campaign=phillyda_2021

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The Crime of the Century on HBO* is a really good option if you want to give yourself a rage stroke. The motherfuckers at Perdue Pharma caused the opioid crisis, and they are mass murderers. And there's one unrepentant doctor that's interviewed I wanted to leap threw my TV to strangle.

*I have HBO Max, not sure if it's on the other HBO services.

deoju fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 11, 2021

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

deoju posted:

The Crime of the Century on HBO* is a really good option if you want to give yourself a rage stroke. The motherfuckers at Perdue Pharma caused the opioid crisis, and they are mass murderers. And there's one unrepentant doctor that's interviewed I wanted to leap threw my TV to strangle.

*I have HBO Max, not sure if it's on the other HBO services.
I also would go as far as saying the dea through their efforts wrt the war on drugs should be held accountable for how they handled the hard cut off of prescription opiates which led to addicts turning to heroin which go figure got spiked with fentanyl and saw even more deaths all the meanwhile not offering any system to or path for recovery.

The opoid epidemic should have seen a federal program to open treatment centers

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

We recently watched Flex Is King (about the type of dance) and while it kind of meanders and seems a bit directionless, I absolutely loved watching it.

I watched America's Best Dance Crew back in the day, and was telling my boyfriend that I had really like the one team that was heavy on flexing, and no poo poo, one of the guys they follow was on the Ringmasters.

So-so documentary, kick-rear end dance moves.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I, Sniper about the DC/Beltway snipers on Viceland has been excellent for the first three episodes. Doesn’t fall into sensationalism or hunting too hard for a gimmick, unlike a lot of recent true crime stuff. I’m both eager for more, annoyed that I have to watch weekly now, and curious how there’s still material for 7 more episodes (I only know the basics of the case from when it was happening).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Anyone watch that Woodstock '99 doc? Holy poo poo, I'd heard it was bad but goddamn. A minor criticism was that they kept kind of overlaying current-day values in terms of what's okay and what's not, on something that happened 20 years ago regarding the misogony and racism in lyrics like it was some kind of a major issue at the time like it would be today which it wasn't. Not saying it was even remotely okay of course but that part felt a little preachy in the doc like "by Jove, a black rapper shouting out the n-word on stage, why I never!" like yeah, that's not great but don't act like at the time it was somehow out of the ordinary.

Still, definitely worth a watch if only for the way they broke down how Woodstock '69 can't work in modern-day or indeed in 1999. One of the organizers of Woodstock 1969 and 1999 came across as a huge buffoon too which was pretty entertaining.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t think anyone had an issue with DMX saying the n-word, it’s the fact it was gleefully setup so a billion white frat boys could all yell it out in unison and it just be considered fine.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don’t think anyone had an issue with DMX saying the n-word, it’s the fact it was gleefully setup so a billion white frat boys could all yell it out in unison and it just be considered fine.

Dmx literally asked the crowd to sing it back to him

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes, that’s what I said.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Anyone watch that Woodstock '99 doc? Holy poo poo, I'd heard it was bad but goddamn. A minor criticism was that they kept kind of overlaying current-day values in terms of what's okay and what's not, on something that happened 20 years ago regarding the misogony and racism in lyrics like it was some kind of a major issue at the time like it would be today which it wasn't. Not saying it was even remotely okay of course but that part felt a little preachy in the doc like "by Jove, a black rapper shouting out the n-word on stage, why I never!" like yeah, that's not great but don't act like at the time it was somehow out of the ordinary.

Still, definitely worth a watch if only for the way they broke down how Woodstock '69 can't work in modern-day or indeed in 1999. One of the organizers of Woodstock 1969 and 1999 came across as a huge buffoon too which was pretty entertaining.

I liked how they seemed to imply if Nirvana were still around it would have been a totally different ordeal. Like a giant crowd of angry, overheated, dehydrated people arent gonna destroy poo poo to Smells Like Teen Spirit, only Limp Bizkit

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Frat boys...Woodstock 99...

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Fred durst did the 1/6 attack on our nation's capitol

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Fred durst is a 9/11 conspiracy nut. I somehow got his Xbox gamertag in early 2000's and would play cod with him and he'd just talk about 9/11 conspiracies the entire time.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Love a good music doc, forget if this was posted, End of the Century: The Story of The Ramones. So good! It's free on vimeo, uploaded by the filmmaker.

https://vimeo.com/134542333

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
“It's one thing if you know your place; like, 'Hey, I'm an idiot who plays lovely music but people buy it – gently caress it, I'm having fun. But it's another thing when you think you're David Bowie after you've stayed up all night to write a song called 'Break Stuff'. I mean, Fred Durst probably spelt the word 'break' wrong the first couple of times. Fred Durst might be a cool guy; I don't know him. But his 'art' – in the word's loosest sense – sucks.”

-Trent Reznor

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Mahoning posted:

“It's one thing if you know your place; like, 'Hey, I'm an idiot who plays lovely music but people buy it – gently caress it, I'm having fun. But it's another thing when you think you're David Bowie after you've stayed up all night to write a song called 'Break Stuff'. I mean, Fred Durst probably spelt the word 'break' wrong the first couple of times. Fred Durst might be a cool guy; I don't know him. But his 'art' – in the word's loosest sense – sucks.”

-Trent Reznor

Pretty sure Fred Durst is the former and not the later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txsgv3-ffQM

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 8, 2021

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Harminoff posted:

Pretty sure Fred Durst is the former and not the later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txsgv3-ffQM

lmao its marc rebillet and durst recognizes him at 2:23

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Stumbled upon a pretty good Jack Kirby documentary. Apologies if it's been posted already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoXeiEXJrgc

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Watched Val on Amazon Prime last night.

I don't really understand my fascination with Val Kilmer. Of his movies, Top Secret! and Real Genius, I love and could watch forever. Nothing else he's done I've really cared about, including Top Gun, Willow, The Doors, Batman Forever, anything. His 90s films were only only on the periphery of my awareness and not on any part of my radar in the past twenty years but whenever Ive seen his name in the news, I've always been drawn to read about him.

Kind of a Soliel Moon Frye thing going on with him recording 40 years of his career. Uncanny to have his 26 year old son narrate himself with how his voice sounded in the 80s.

Recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BiggerBoat posted:

Stumbled upon a pretty good Jack Kirby documentary. Apologies if it's been posted already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoXeiEXJrgc

This was great, somehow I'd never seen this one before.