Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

DarkHorse posted:

Also destroy the dark one AND the Creator and also have the most powerful man in the world enthralled by her

So the typical female leading protagonist in a JRPG then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Eighties ZomCom posted:

So the typical female leading protagonist in a JRPG then.

More the multi-thousand-year-old demon in a young body, but sure

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

More the multi-thousand-year-old demon in a young body, but sure

That's just a specific type of jrpg protagonist

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Eighties ZomCom posted:

That's just a specific type of jrpg protagonist

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Bran > Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time - that's just a specific type of jrpg protagonist

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's a series where everyone is a long-running jrpg series protagonist

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
It's really criminal that RJ spent so much time describing dresses and embroidery and not their brilliantly colored elaborate hair

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

uPen posted:

You rip just one man's skin off and everyone starts looking at you sidewise.

Found the weave to treat one mental illness, do they giver her a third name? Nope.

Found a bunch of weaves related to helping all sorts of people, do they give her a third name? Nope.

Rip one man's skin off, and it's "Oh, it's one of the Forsaken! She serves the Dark One, run away!".

I swear, people in the Age of Legends were so touchy.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also if the reaction to resident evil 8 lately has been any clue it's that ripping someone's skin off is not a deterrent to some people and as such i consider that the most unrealistic part of wheel of time

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

also if the reaction to resident evil 8 lately has been any clue it's that ripping someone's skin off is not a deterrent to some people and as such i consider that the most unrealistic part of wheel of time

don't give those fuckers any ideas, the Age of Legend can consider itself lucky none of the Forsaken came up with a magic Zombie-virus

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DarkHorse posted:

It's really criminal that RJ spent so much time describing dresses and embroidery and not their brilliantly colored elaborate hair

it's a weave

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Robert Jordan’s The Weave Of Time: it’s a jrpg protagonist.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
the whale weaves as the whale wails?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Johnny Joestar posted:

Semirhage IS noted as being 'unusually tall' by the WoT wiki

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

it's a weave

:golfclap:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

seaborgium posted:

Found the weave to treat one mental illness, do they giver her a third name? Nope.

Found a bunch of weaves related to helping all sorts of people, do they give her a third name? Nope.

Rip one man's skin off, and it's "Oh, it's one of the Forsaken! She serves the Dark One, run away!".

I swear, people in the Age of Legends were so touchy.

I thought about making this joke but assumed no one else would have any idea what I was posting about so I just wanted to let you know I appreciated it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
idgi please explain

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Theyre saying you get recognized a lot easier for doing bad than good, if I'm reading that right. Which, if you're the kind of greedy, power hungry maniac the dark one favours, probably appeals to you.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

ninjoatse.cx posted:

idgi please explain

This is what I was workshopping but I couldn't get it right:

So M'hael is visiting the Bore for the first time and all of the Chosen are hanging out and making their plans for world domination with the Dark One. He notices that almost all of the Chosen are crowded to one side of the Bore, except for Lanfear who is standing off by herself. Not wanting to crowd in with the other Chosen, he decides to go and stand next to her.

Without lifting her eyes from her drink, Lanfear begins to rant loudly. "Before drilling the Bore, I was actually an exceptional baker. I made the finest cakes in all of V'saine. But do they call me Mierin Eronaile the Baker? No!"

M'Hael continues to stand there wondering if the outburst would be a one-off when suddenly her growling goes on, "I discovered a weave that could cure a mental illness. But do they call me Mierin Eronaile the Healer? No!"

Without hardly a pause, she proceeds venomously, "I discovered the True Power and found a way that men and women could channel the same weaves! But do they call me Mierin Eronaile the Liberator? No!"

She settles herself down a bit and spits out, "But you rip the skin off of one man...."

It's a joke about a guy loving a goat.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Joke's busted, Lanfear would never say her former name out loud. :v:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is what I was workshopping but I couldn't get it right:

She settles herself down a bit and spits out, "But you rip the skin off of one man...."

It's a joke about a guy loving a goat.

The one I read was in Transmetropolitan, but yeah it's just an old joke [/spoiler]about a dude loving a goat[/spoiler]

Yours worked pretty well.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Huh.

The Dragon Reborn, ch. 38: Maidens of the Spear posted:

“But I have gone far from the trail of my explanation,” Bain went on. “The Maidens do not dance the spears with one another even when our clans do, but the Shaarad Aiel and the Goshien Aiel have held blood feud between them over four hundred years, so Chiad and I felt our wedding pledge was not enough. We went to speak the words before the Wise Ones of our clans—she risking her life in my hold, and I in hers—to bond us as first-sisters. As is proper for first-sisters who are Maidens, we guard each other’s backs, and neither will let a man come to her without the other. I would not say we do not care for men.” Chiad nodded, with just the hint of a smile. “Have I made the truth clear to you, Egwene?”

I never caught before that Bain and Chiad were actually married. I guess The Wheel of Time does have gay marriage after all.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Awesome find, I missed that on my reread just now too!

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

It seems like that's referring to their society's members' pledges to be "wedded to the spear." From the context I assume it means they became first-sisters because they didn't think the Maidens' mutual non-aggression pact sufficiently overbalanced the blood feud enough to represent their actual relationship.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Donkey posted:

It seems like that's referring to their society's members' pledges to be "wedded to the spear." From the context I assume it means they became first-sisters because they didn't think the Maidens' mutual non-aggression pact sufficiently overbalanced the blood feud enough to represent their actual relationship.

That makes sense, especially since no one remarks on their relationship beyond being first-sisters later. (Of course, perhaps no one else ever asked, and they're usually with Perrin's crew, who were not here for this conversation.)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nah that reads as an open bi marriage potentially receptive to a polycule with sub implications

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1387451712584052738

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Hard to tell from a short clip, but I'm hoping the actor tries to go for a Kyuzo from Seven Samurai vibe to the character.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Give us a loving traaaaailer.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah it'd be cool if we could get more than like 2s at a time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Don't know whether I can take a real trailer after all this blue balling, or if I would immediately combust from excitement.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You know it's just gonna be another CGI wheel rolling around while someone recites one of those poems

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I feel like I’m gonna be able to re-read the entire series before we see a real trailer.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

RandolphCarter posted:

I feel like I’m gonna be able to re-read the entire series before we see a real trailer.

Same but I'm relistening, lol. Up to shadow rising now

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I've been reading that tumblr page that got linked here. I only read a handful of pages when it's slow at work and I'm still halfway through Knife of Dreams.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Could you link me please, I seem to have lost it

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Could you link me please, I seem to have lost it

https://neuxue.tumblr.com/

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Love your work

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Soysaucebeast posted:

I've been reading that tumblr page that got linked here. I only read a handful of pages when it's slow at work and I'm still halfway through Knife of Dreams.

I've really enjoyed her analysis of the series, it's remarkable how she calls pretty much every twist ahead of time through breaking everything down so thoroughly. Her whole thing about dialogue tags and how they relate to identities was something I'd never really consciously noticed but is super cool in retrospect.

Also her Thing with Lan is very funny and I enjoy it greatly

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
He is coming! He is coming! Light help us! Light help the world! He lies in the snow and cries like the thunder! He burns like the sun!

Pretty stoked for a trailer eventually.

E: I assume they will release snippets of all of the cast before any full length trailer, I also assume it's not going to premier until the fall since we're basically in May and nothing has been announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
bro these loving fraction of a second teasers are AWFUL give us the goods amazon

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 29, 2021