Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

I really miss stroking her but the only way I’ll feel safe doing that is if she intentionally walks up to me, flops down, and paws at me (is that even something greyhounds do?).

Sparty won't ask for belly rubs by directly flopping in front of you, but if he's relaxed sideways on his chair and you approach him he will sometimes paw the air to let people know he would like belly rubs please now.

Is Katie ok with belly rubs standing? Will she cuddle close to you as she falls asleep otherwise? If she will come close to you, doze on you, but won't let you touch her anywhere then yeah maybe she just doesn't want to be touched. If she's fine being touched anywhere besides her stomach then just pet her where she likes, and in a few weeks test the waters again (and listen to any warnings she gives you). If she's fine with belly rubs standing but not lying down then who knows :shrug:

Basically just try to observe her, try to figure out what doing on in that empty noggin, and don't let it hurt your feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I'm not here to contribute anything of use - I just wanted to say that it's cute when Tazo and Opal actually share the bed! :3: Normally (seeing as only half the bed is free) Taz isn't keen on Opal being so close to him, but for one reason or another he's decided it's OK this morning.

I've always been tempted to have a painting of Taz and Opal commissioned (to go on the wall over our couch/table. It's a bit bare, otherwise) and well, if I ever do, it's probably going to be one from this morning!

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Today Watson Just Couldn't.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:same:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

NomNomNom posted:

Today Watson Just Couldn't.

I feel ya Watson, I feel ya. Just woke up and I still have a migraine from yesterday...urgh

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

do you put an antislip mat under the bed since it's on a hard floor?

Abby's swollen leg is pretty much back to normal (left side of the picture), so that's nice!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Watson is either Very Brave or Very Dumb and is not afraid of the floors after sliding around a ton. He only hesitates running down the hallway after he wiped out hard one time. He doesn't really move his bed around too much.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Spartacus just scratches it all over the place to his satisfaction, an anti slip mat woul only hinder and annoy him

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
And we just caught my homeslice snacking on his own poop. First time we've ever caught him in the act, pretty sure it's new behavior. Not sure why, but obviously would like him to stop.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The only way to do it is make sure there’s never any poop around for him to eat

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Ugh, he likes pooping at midnight and welp.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

excellent user name posts combo btw

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

NomNomNom posted:

And we just caught my homeslice snacking on his own poop. First time we've ever caught him in the act, pretty sure it's new behavior. Not sure why, but obviously would like him to stop.

Yikes. Our girl rolled in some cat poo poo the other which was a first.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

our old dog before bonnie once ate a bunch of cat poo poo, and we came downstairs the next morning to catshit vomit all over the living room. i honestly considered just burning the house for the insurance money

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

The only way to do it is make sure there’s never any poop around for him to eat

Yup. Although it can sometimes indicate a lack of hemoglobin or iron or other nutrients, you can try changing food or boosting protein or something to see if that helps.

But ultimately some dogs just wanna eat poop :shrug:

Spartacus on the other hand likes to eat grass and then barf on the rug and then get offended at the barf

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Jody’s valley fever test came back negative. Which is a pretty sure sign that it’s osteosarcoma.

This is the exact way Jake stated his decline. I feel so horrible right now.

I’m trying to hold myself together and look for resources, like a veterinary oncologist and possibly a surgeon for amputation but it is so god drat difficult. I am just devastated.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Jody’s valley fever test came back negative. Which is a pretty sure sign that it’s osteosarcoma.

I’m trying to hold myself together and look for resources, like a veterinary oncologist and possibly a surgeon for amputation but it is so god drat difficult. I am just devastated.

I'm so sorry to hear that!

Is there nothing else it could be besides cancer?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

gently caress. I am so sorry

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

actionjackson posted:

I'm so sorry to hear that!

Is there nothing else it could be besides cancer?

It is doubtful as there is growth and damage on the bone in the X-ray. I think we got our hopes up a bit too much. It’s still pretty early on so we are going to do what we can.

The left side of that joint is where all the concern is.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I'm very sorry to hear that DB. I have no idea how I would handle this in my own dog. :smith:

You might want to blur that upper corner of that picture.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Drewjitsu posted:

I'm very sorry to hear that DB. I have no idea how I would handle this in my own dog. :smith:

You might want to blur that upper corner of that picture.

Thank you. That’s just the vet’s name and clinic address which is already public info, I blurred out the other corner with our name.

Trying to get our process figured out, the first place we talked to with a surgeon for amputation is booked out through October. Based on how fast Jake’s cancer progressed I doubt we would have that much time. So now we are calling around.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Beyond horrible. Hope for the best for Jody

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
We are sending the X-rays to a canine oncologist who specializes in greyhounds. Based on what he says we can schedule chest X-rays at our regular vet, then possible leg amputation. Then follow up with a local oncologist for further treatment. Sorry to bring this thread down once again I just don’t know where else to turn.

We had her on cyclosporine for the lupus on her nose and it was finally looking good. Of course that’s an immune suppressant so we have stopped that for now.

Snapped a pic of her sunning herself today:

She is always my side-eye queen.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
So sorry to hear that news :(

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

That's awful news. Hopefully you've caught it early enough that it won't be deadly. Give all of our love to your side-eye queen.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

We are sending the X-rays to a canine oncologist who specializes in greyhounds. Based on what he says we can schedule chest X-rays at our regular vet, then possible leg amputation. Then follow up with a local oncologist for further treatment. Sorry to bring this thread down once again I just don’t know where else to turn.

We had her on cyclosporine for the lupus on her nose and it was finally looking good. Of course that’s an immune suppressant so we have stopped that for now.

Snapped a pic of her sunning herself today:

She is always my side-eye queen.

Don't apologize for seeking support, of course we'd all prefer you and Jody not have to go through this at all but suffering alone won't help anybody :)

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
A good friend of ours surprised us with a grocery delivery yesterday after we told her about Jody. We got a gently caress ton of different dog treats, cakes and cupcakes for us, a bottle of scotch for me and a bottle of premade margaritas for the Mrs. As much as this sucks to go through it does feel good to know that our pups are so loved. I couldn’t hold back the tears while opening the bags.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Please enjoy this video of spazzy Jody spazzing

She seems pretty good today :unsmith:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Jody :love:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I assume other people here grind their hound’s nails, right?

I had been doing this when Katie was lying on her bed in front of the TV - I would wait for her to zonk out with her legs sticking out instead of curled up in a ball. I made sure she was awake because I know better than to touch a sleeping racer. She pulled her feet away a lot but I still managed to do a few passes.

Well, since she recently educated me that she does not, in fact, like to be petted while on her bed, I’m very hesitant to touch her while she’s there, let alone try trimming her nails. I’ve been trying futilely to do it when she’s standing up but it’s absolutely impossible. She either yanks her foot away, walks away, or can’t support herself.

I don’t really know what to do. The only thing I can think of is to maybe slip on her muzzle before she lays down on the bed and try seeing if she’ll still let me trim them. At least if she snaps at me she won’t get me, and I’m not sure she would react the same way if I don’t try to touch her body.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I gave up on the dremel after a while and just had Abby's nails done at a groomer

with covid though that's not always an option, so I wait until she's super tired, and just do one paw a time (like, one a day for four days)

a frozen kong with PB might help to distract her while you do it

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

If any part of the act of muzzling/touching/restraining/trimming her nails is stressing her out and causing her to snap at you, don’t push it. Nails trims are important, but not worth getting bitten for. :)

Some dogs don’t like the noise of the dremel, so don’t be afraid to learn how to use a nail clipper. Keep some Kwikstop on hand, too.

In your case, it might be helpful to have your vet show you proper restraining and nail trimming techniques.

With my dog, I basically had two goals: 1. get her used to having her paws handled and nails trimmed, and 2. Keep her used to and comfortable with wearing her muzzle while being handled and worked on (I worked in veterinary medicine for years and know first hand how much muzzles can exacerbate an already intensely stressful situation for a lot of dogs if they’re not used to wearing them.)

I started by having her wear her muzzle on a regular basis, just hanging out around the house. My dog really didn’t mind that to begin with, so fortunately it was easy. I gave her treats to have her associate wearing it with good things happening. Then, I took it a step further and started handling her feet, and eventually trimming her nails with the muzzle on, and giving her treats after I did each paw. I had my husband help restrain her the first few times, but it wasn’t long before I was able to do it by myself. One thing to note that they can still bite through the muzzle, so you still need to be aware of their limits and be respectful if they push back. Just keep making it a consistently good experience for them.

She has gotten to the point where all I have to say is “hey can I trim your nails?” and she will go lay down on her side and wait for me to come over with the muzzle/clippers/treats. More than that, it’s paid off with vet visits, especially ones where she’s in for an actual illness or injury and will calmly accept being restrained and/or muzzled while being treated.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

using a clipper can be difficult if you can't see the quick though, i.e. dark nails

in other news, carrot

https://twitter.com/fuck_it_all___/status/1385422406307618816

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

It definitely can be, and even now I don’t cut hers all that short because she’s brindle and some of hers are white and easy to see, while others are horn colored and impossible to see. It is definitely a quicker process than grinding though so for some dogs who won’t tolerate being restrained foe that long, it’s the better option.

Paradoxically, cutting them often and in small amounts will actually shorten the quicks over time. I am horrible about remembering to do it on a regular-enough basis and it’s usually a case of “oh her toes are clacking on the floor, has it really been that long?”

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

carrot

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Abby! Please tell me she got the carrot in the end. :ohdear:

Also sending good vibes to Jody, hopefully, it's all good news.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol

yes she got the carrot

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
So a few weeks ago I accidentally buried the scoop that came with the dog food bin when I refilled it. In the meantime I used a kitchen Pyrex measuring cup. At the time I maybe noticed that the amounts seemed different, but I figured the scoop was just crudely made.

Well, the scoop re-emerged today, and yeah, it’s not just a little off... In fact I don’t think it’s really calibrated for anything, it’s just a scoop.

Which means I’ve been overfeeding her, like, months :doh:

This explains why Katie put on a bunch of pounds, at least.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Lol I bet she was happy

Spartacus is ecstatic anytime my spouse and I miscommunicate and he gets an extra feeding, though he's smart enough to hide his surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don’t think I’ve complained about my neighbor in this thread yet so forgive the incoming rant :argh:

For context I live in a two-story townhome apartment with a sliding glass door in the back. On my unit the fenced-in dog area is conveniently right outside my back porch about 20 feet away; I take Katie there for her first and last outside trips of the day.

* my neighbor has two dogs of her own, a little white thing and a black lab. The little dog is never on a leash. The black lab she puts on a tie-out from her patio. The apartment complex does not allow off-leash dogs or tie-outs.
* she never picks up after her dogs. There is a semi circle of poo poo at the furthest reach of the tie-out from the lab. The little one goes wherever.
* I’ve heard her say that the little dog is “glued to her hip.” Uh-huh. It wanders wherever when she lets it out. My favorite was when she forgot it outside - her son was visiting, and when he started to drive off the dog was outside over by the dumpster (which frequently has bones and broken glass around it). The son had to pull into a spot again and go let it in.
* she does not walk her dogs. The closest I’ve seen is trying to leash train the lab, which happened randomly one of Katie’s first nights. Katie was outside a bit spooked in general and suddenly she gets a wild black lab in her face before I had a chance to say that wasn’t OK.

Which brings us to last night. She is currently petsitting her sister’s pit bull (a breed which, I should note, is not allowed by the apartment complex). Katie and I go out for the last time before bedtime through the sliding glass door. I hear the neighbor’s sliding door open, some commotion, and suddenly the little dog and pit bull come flying around the little fence. The pit bull is not attacking her but really wants to get close to her and the little dog is barking the entire time making this a very chaotic situation. Katie is basically panicking, snarling and snapping trying to get away from this thing (she’s scared of other dogs in general) and I’m trying to get back inside ASAP. We get inside and the neighbor knocks on the door after a while apologizing that the dog “rushed out” which I don’t buy for a second - I think she was letting the dogs out like she normally does.

This morning Katie is scared to go out the sliding glass door :doh: