Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Supposedly once you hit the cap, it just stops filtering DNS and acts like a normal resolver. I haven't tested that though.

I had bad luck installing the client on a UDM Pro, maybe I'm dumb but it would stop resolving about once a day until I restarted it. I moved it to a Raspberry Pi and it works great, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Biowarfare posted:

What happens when the IoT device cert-pins a DNS over HTTPS provider for its own use?

You throw that garbage in the electronics recycling bin.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Biowarfare posted:

IoT device

KozmoNaut posted:

You throw that garbage in the electronics recycling bin.

Checks out.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 14, 2021

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Is there a simple and compact ethernet-to-wifi bridge (connect ethernet device to 802.11ac network)? MIMO support would be a dream but is not required.

I bought this one on sale to try it out:
https://www.amazon.com/BrosTrend-600Mbps-Adapter-Wireless-WNA016/dp/B0118SPFCK

It works OK, but despite being called "Ethernet-2-WiFi" it also extends/replicates the wifi network which is NOT functionality I want (the bands are crowded enough already here) and that feature can not be disabled :(.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A lot of access points feature a "client mode", where they act as a wireless bridge.

I used a cheap TP-Link AP for a while, plugged in to a switch to provide networking for two PCs and a printer, until I finally got around to pulling some CAT6. It worked OK, no issues seeing other devices on the network. The only major drawback was that DHCP wouldn't traverse the bridge, so everything behind it had to have static IPs.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
After a few days of researching I literally started having dreams about network hardware.

I just ordered this Netgear WAX204 router since it seems more than adequate for my specific situation (100Mbps internet, townhouse, a handful of wireless devices which are both Wi-Fi 6, four wired devices) and is surprisingly cheap. On sale for $80, $65 when added to my cart on Netgear's site, and $58 after a newsletter signup coupon. At that point it became sort of an impulse purchase since it was less than half of what I expected to spend on a basic setup.

Next week I'll check in with my horror/success story.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 14, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It looks OK, especially at that price. I don't see any spec on how many streams it can do, but based on the supported speeds, I'm guessing it's 2x2 or maybe 2x3 MIMO.

I also don't see a spec on available channels, but FCC says it supports channels 36 to 48 and 149 to 165, based on the frequency bands they list. So two 80MHz channels available, but no 160MHz channels and and no DFS channels, but unless you need those, it probably won't matter.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 14, 2021

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

This is an edit.

Fat_Cow fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 14, 2021

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Today I learned which color a port gets on an ERX if it runs at 10Mbit:

Getting all nostalgic, haven't seen a 10Mbit link in years, possibly a decade+.

I'm at the folks' place, and they have some interface for a heat pump hooked up, for those curious.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

bolind posted:

Today I learned which color a port gets on an ERX if it runs at 10Mbit:

Getting all nostalgic, haven't seen a 10Mbit link in years, possibly a decade+.

I'm at the folks' place, and they have some interface for a heat pump hooked up, for those curious.

Nice; I like that it has a unique color and doesn't overload with 100 or something.

gregday
May 23, 2003

A local guy is quoting me $3,500 for 7 cable runs :psyduck:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

gregday posted:

A local guy is quoting me $3,500 for 7 cable runs :psyduck:

He doesn't want to do the job, but he will if you make it worth his time. That's what I call an F U quote.

Is that a real electrician quote?

If so try reaching out to companies that offer home security camera systems, and smart home/home automation, might be less expensive. Local Nextdoor or Facebook groups are a good resource for asking for recommendations for someone to do the work. Sometimes you'll find someone who doesn't mind a side job for cash on their day off.

Worst case running cables yourself isn't that bad. It's not fun, especially if you have to cut drywall, but it seems hiring someone to do drywall repair and paint is 1000 times easier than finding someone to run some ethernet.

gregday
May 23, 2003

skipdogg posted:

He doesn't want to do the job, but he will if you make it worth his time. That's what I call an F U quote.

Is that a real electrician quote?

If so try reaching out to companies that offer home security camera systems, and smart home/home automation, might be less expensive. Local Nextdoor or Facebook groups are a good resource for asking for recommendations for someone to do the work. Sometimes you'll find someone who doesn't mind a side job for cash on their day off.

Worst case running cables yourself isn't that bad. It's not fun, especially if you have to cut drywall, but it seems hiring someone to do drywall repair and paint is 1000 times easier than finding someone to run some ethernet.

Nope, not an electrician, just a local tech guy. I don’t mind doing the drywall part myself, it’s just rooting around my attic I’m not looking forward to. I already went up once to move my incoming cat6 to a different room, and it wasn’t fun at all. There’s not really any plywood down for a floor, blown in insulation, and enough diagonal beams to make it really tough to get around.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
plywood is a lot cheaper than 3500

Lawrence Systems did a video on fishing cables in walls if that's at all helpful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5XePwAO4m0

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

All wood is massively inflated right now. But that $3,500 seems excessive. My builder charged us I believe $500-$600 Canadian to run cable... but this was in the middle of being built so pretty easy.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

All wood is massively inflated right now.

You ain't kidding...

I work for a chain of lumber yards.. Our last 7/16 OSB shipment was over $45 per sheet cost. Some competitor yards in the area are already over $55 per sheet retail.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

stevewm posted:

You ain't kidding...

I work for a chain of lumber yards.. Our last 7/16 OSB shipment was over $45 per sheet cost. Some competitor yards in the area are already over $55 per sheet retail.

Why, is there a tree shortage?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

Why, is there a tree shortage?

Hell if I know. When has any market ever been rational.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The story I heard early on is due to the lockdowns lots of people were doing all those home improvement projects they'd been putting off.

All the hardware stores around here have been busy as poo poo

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yep, bored people eating up all the lumber and drywall. In my province there is a HUGE housing rush right now too. Houses going 50-100k OVER all the time. Pure sellers market. Our builder was stressed about our deck as he quoted 10k but it is now 15k.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Azhais posted:

The story I heard early on is due to the lockdowns lots of people were doing all those home improvement projects they'd been putting off.

All the hardware stores around here have been busy as poo poo

Our stores have been breaking their own records week after week. We did the same last year.

This year though, we have been selling so much lumber, it is sometimes sold before it even hits the yard. Its insane, never seen anything like it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

stevewm posted:

Our stores have been breaking their own records week after week. We did the same last year.

This year though, we have been selling so much lumber, it is sometimes sold before it even hits the yard. Its insane, never seen anything like it.

Huh. Have your quantities been similar? I know that there's been a global shipping crunch, but I don't know whether that'd impact lumber (and, y'know, compound the buying frenzy) as well. I am curious, though.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Kreeblah posted:

Huh. Have your quantities been similar? I know that there's been a global shipping crunch, but I don't know whether that'd impact lumber (and, y'know, compound the buying frenzy) as well. I am curious, though.

For a while there was a flurry of deck/shed/other structure building that was sucking every bit of treated lumber we had, combined with supplier shortages. Truck loads of treated was sold before it hit the yard. We had people calling from2 states away asking if we had treated in stock.

I've also heard that some contractors where "panic buying" in a sense; buying a bunch of OSB before the price increase; that kinda subsided once prices went past $35 or so.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So, I just had an epiphany as to why all of a sudden I always have 3-4 bugs flying around this side of the garage.

The Home Networking Megathread: my access point makes bugs horny

Once I turned the LED off he flew away within minutes.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 19, 2021

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
After a week with that cheap Netgear Wax204 router I mentioned earlier, I'm pretty happy. Excellent signal everywhere in the house. Absolutely no hiccups, conflicts, dropped connections, slowdowns, etc. The only quirk is that its web interface takes a few seconds to load each setting page. Doesn't bother me too much since I don't need to use it very often, but you'd think that stuff would be instant.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Perhaps a silly question: do devices on a network default to using the gateway for DNS? I.e. do I need to configure the DNS address for every device on my network, or just the router?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

hooah posted:

Perhaps a silly question: do devices on a network default to using the gateway for DNS? I.e. do I need to configure the DNS address for every device on my network, or just the router?

The DNS server(s) devices on a network use is part of the DHCP exchange when devices learn their IP address, or statically overridden in the device's own networking config.

It's most commonly whatever your router told the clients to point at, usually itself.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So how do I factory reset a ubiquiti ap ac lite that I managed to break the physical reset on?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

So how do I factory reset a ubiquiti ap ac lite that I managed to break the physical reset on?

If you can ssh to it you can run
code:

syswrapper.sh restore-default

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

KidDynamite posted:

Ubiquiti has a handy list:
https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/205143490-UniFi-How-to-Reset-Devices-to-Factory-Defaults

Also, apparently the PoE injector might have a reset switch that acts like the device reset switch (I haven't tried this myself):
https://community.ui.com/questions/What-does-resetting-a-PoE-injector-do/877e2cb4-4293-4581-821a-20afe0a15905

Beyond that, the physical switch is on the back of the board next to the ethernet port. I assume it's broken off the board. If you open the case you could try to solder it back on or you can probably jump the contacts on the board with a piece of wire if none of the other options have panned out:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My HP Procurve I got off eBay a year ago has a couple ports that only negotiate at 10/100 no matter what I do. I’d like to get a warranty replacement under their lifetime warranty, anyone done this? Doesn’t look like I can initiate an RMA online, I have to call into their 1 support first.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

FCKGW posted:

My HP Procurve I got off eBay a year ago has a couple ports that only negotiate at 10/100 no matter what I do. I’d like to get a warranty replacement under their lifetime warranty, anyone done this? Doesn’t look like I can initiate an RMA online, I have to call into their 1 support first.

Bought one off reddit that had non working PoE and the only difficulty getting it replaced was convincing them I had a business. They even replaced it with a newer model.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
who came up with the name procurve, or ethertwist?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Is there any reason not to go full ubiquity for a home network if I want to build out for future? I used to be a neteng, do a lot at home, lots of devices, budget non issue. Or should I be looking at like aruba?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
how much do you like the cloud

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Is there any reason not to go full ubiquity for a home network if I want to build out for future? I used to be a neteng, do a lot at home, lots of devices, budget non issue. Or should I be looking at like aruba?

Depends on how irked you are by their recent security issues.

That said, it’s not like others haven’t gotten owned at some point in time.

I’m fine with it - but in the future I would probably replace my Ubiquiti router with an OpenBSD based router instead. But that’s me - also I use OpenBSD for a lot of other stuff already.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
I was sick of dealing with Ubiquiti's dogshit firmware QA and the security issues so I picked up a new Ruckus R310 on ebay for $130 and it has already been more stable and has a better range than my AC-Lite

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

rufius posted:

Depends on how irked you are by their recent security issues.

That said, it’s not like others haven’t gotten owned at some point in time.

I’m fine with it - but in the future I would probably replace my Ubiquiti router with an OpenBSD based router instead. But that’s me - also I use OpenBSD for a lot of other stuff already.

I just replaced my ERL with OPNSense on an AliExpress mini PC a few months back. Absolutely no regrets, it's been fantastic. In hindsight, the EdgeRouter web UI was awful and always has been, but I never cared because I preferred the console. OPNSense runs circles around it and I don't miss using the console.

At one point I had the ERL, a UniFi 24 PoE switch, and two AC Pro AP's. The switch was a joke. Now I'm down to just the APs, but I'm getting the urge to replace those too so I can ditch the POS UniFi controller.

Is WiFi 6 a worthwhile upgrade over 802.11ac if I already have good coverage with multiple APs?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I mean their gear is bottom of the barrel and their software's worse, and if you're working with the good stuff on a daily basis you might be more likely to be annoyed by it. Users in this thread talk about running distinct 2.4/5 SSIDs and turning off other features like adaptive power that just work on anything else including consumer mesh systems. It is cheap, but not significantly cheaper than used enterprise gear.

Cenodoxus posted:

Is WiFi 6 a worthwhile upgrade over 802.11ac if I already have good coverage with multiple APs?

It is absolutely killer in dense environments where you can get the bulk of your clients to be AX and it is pretty useless otherwise.

OPNSense is really, really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I've been extremely happy with opnsense on a PC Engines apu2. I think the max throughput isn't that amazing but I only have 200 meg internet and I don't run a VPN on the router itself.