Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

One topic that doesn't come up very often is elderly fish. Typically, when people report a sick fish the advice given usually assumes the aquarist is failing at some aspect of husbandry. While that might often be the case, one can't ignore that fish don't normally die of old age in the wild, but they may in the aquarium.

There's weirdly a ton of information about elderly bettas, but not much on elderly aquarium fish in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWXUV65rX0

Does this seem accurate? I have a pretty big severum that was an adult when I got him, and he's starting to look, well, kind of ragged. I've had him for about 4 years I think, but he still eats and likes moving gravel. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10. Yesterday I noticed a little bit of hole-in-the-head. I'm torn on pulling him into QT to treat because he is very easily startled and sometimes freaks out in a 55g and zooms around the tank crashing into things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I hope to have elderly fish one day.
I've been discovering that aquarium photography is really hard. Piles of rasbora blur. I can't imagine how expensive and frustrating it must have been to learn in the days of film. Here's some of my rough attempts

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

It doesn’t help that we are inherently limited in the angles we can shoot from. Attempting to use a macro lens is frustrating when we’re limited to subjects close to the tank walls.

Speaking of old fish, I’ve started to wonder the same about my Amano shrimp. Most online sources say they have 1-2 year lifespans, but mine are going on 3.5 years at this point. They definitely don’t molt as often and don’t move around as much, but they’re still kickin’.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://i.imgur.com/h5lpyPl.mp4

Press the phone against the glass, make the fish know they are being watched

Make the shrimp nervous.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Can I ask if I did something correct or not? I the label said it was time to change the filter - so I put the old filter next to the intake so that it can suck up the beneficial bacteria to the new filter cartridge. I don't want to completely remove it when I know the tank has just stabized - But I put some seachem stability into it when I did that just to make sure.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Can I ask if I did something correct or not? I the label said it was time to change the filter - so I put the old filter next to the intake so that it can suck up the beneficial bacteria to the new filter cartridge. I don't want to completely remove it when I know the tank has just stabized - But I put some seachem stability into it when I did that just to make sure.

I think if you can fit two cartridges into the filter it works to just swap one, move the next one over and put the new one in to replace the oldest one, but understandably some cartridge filters don't have room for that. To get the bacteria off the old cartridge you'd probably need to agitate it and that would also knock off some of the stuff that has been mechanically filtered and maybe foul your water up a bit.

Unless the cartridge has activated charcoal which you really do need to replace frequently, you could probably get away with using the cartridge longer, tapping the muck off your cartridge to unclog it and then reusing it again a few times so that the bacteria are still there. With a completely new cartridge it wouldn't hurt to add a bit of stability every day until the bacteria build up again.

I think you're on the right track anyway, especially with a lightly loaded planted tank, you're in less danger of an ammonia spike after changing the filter cartridge than a more populated tank would be.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Stoca Zola posted:

I think if you can fit two cartridges into the filter it works to just swap one, move the next one over and put the new one in to replace the oldest one, but understandably some cartridge filters don't have room for that. To get the bacteria off the old cartridge you'd probably need to agitate it and that would also knock off some of the stuff that has been mechanically filtered and maybe foul your water up a bit.

Unless the cartridge has activated charcoal which you really do need to replace frequently, you could probably get away with using the cartridge longer, tapping the muck off your cartridge to unclog it and then reusing it again a few times so that the bacteria are still there. With a completely new cartridge it wouldn't hurt to add a bit of stability every day until the bacteria build up again.

I think you're on the right track anyway, especially with a lightly loaded planted tank, you're in less danger of an ammonia spike after changing the filter cartridge than a more populated tank would be.

Ah yeah, I can't fit 2 filters into it so that is out. It is activated charcoal though but from what I knew all it does is stop my whole house from smelling like an aquarium. When I put the old one next to the intake I did shake of the gunk into the water that I took out. So I put it next to the intake to seed the new filter cartridge. I mostly don't care about the charcoal but if it removes traces of chlorine that the water conditioner (Seachem Prime) didn't get, all the better.

(It's not planted though just 1 betta in a 5 gallon with fake plants)

Paracetamol
Jun 13, 2005
This space intentionally left blank
Has anyone used coreflute/corflute as baffles/dividers in a sump? I’m looking for a cheaper and less daunting option than cutting my own 4mm float glass for an old 2.5 ft tank I have.

I suspect there’ll be a tendency to bow if the water heights are too disparate due to the pressure differential, but if I step the heights down gradually enough would it work?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Ah yeah, I can't fit 2 filters into it so that is out. It is activated charcoal though but from what I knew all it does is stop my whole house from smelling like an aquarium. When I put the old one next to the intake I did shake of the gunk into the water that I took out. So I put it next to the intake to seed the new filter cartridge. I mostly don't care about the charcoal but if it removes traces of chlorine that the water conditioner (Seachem Prime) didn't get, all the better.

(It's not planted though just 1 betta in a 5 gallon with fake plants)

I don't use charcoal in any of my tanks and none of them smell bad - I think if you're smelling unsavoury smells you might just need to do bigger water changes (to make sure dissolved organics are getting removed). Regular water changes are enough to keep weird smells at bay in my experience. The thing with charcoal, and I don't 100% know if its true or not, is that when it reaches capacity and has adsorbed all it can, it can start dumping stuff it already holds to preferentially adsorb something else, which can result in climbing unwanted pollutants in the tank. Anyway the alternative to make sure you don't lose too much bacteria is to get some ceramic media in the tank or filter somewhere, that stays there long term and isnt replaced from filterclean to filterclean.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

There just isn't enough time to break down all the poo/food binders. You gotta scoop it out somehow. Don't shake the gunk into the water since that'll probably get sucked up and clog the surface of the new filter.

Also if the smell only appears on the days that you make this change it may be all the stuff breaking free and then breaking down again.

I like a prefilter sponge so I can just swap those guys out when they get clogged, how much are you paying for the carts?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
The Aquarium Coop people all swear by using the carts until they're falling apart. If the filter allows it, you might have better luck ditching the cartridges and just stuffing coarse sponge in there. I was able to swap a cartridge-based internal filter I got from Craigslist to coarse sponge and it works great for a QT tank.

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Agree with swapping the cartridges for coarse sponge if possible. The cartridges are more expensive than the coarse sponge, especially in the long run. I've used the same piece of sponge for ~1 year and just rinse it with the dirty water at change time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
^^ yeah, I was going to come in and say this.

Most filter cartridges are kind of a scam, they don’t contain nearly enough filtration material and often make poor use of the space inside a filter (arguably so you can add more stuff).

The best filters, even if there are cartridges available for them, are designed with the understanding that experienced keepers will probably use their own media instead, or- like AquaClear- feature baskets and media blocks/sponge blocks instead of cartridges. Depending on your model of filter it can be pretty easy to hotrod it with sponge cut and fit to size and bags of things like charcoal, porous media, and chemical stabilizers- these can be bought premade or easily made at home in order to capitalize on stuff like bulk pricing.

Also, one tends not to throw out filter media in my experience, unless there’s been a big bloom of bad bacteria, a bunch of fish died, you medicated the tank, or you had a bag of charcoal or nitrogen absorber or whatever in there for a few weeks and want to pull those nutrients out of the tank.

I usually just replace my charcoal bag, pull out my sponges and give them a quick squeeze/rinse (but often not), and back in they go. No sense in wasting the colony of beneficial bacteria I’ve built up in that media. And I’ve seen sumps filled with things like bioballs or bio blocks that have never (and ideally will never) been tossed or pulled out in years.

The whole business of getting people to buy and toss cartridges is 20% convenience, 10% counteracting user ignorance or lack of science/husbandry knowhow by giving them an easy prepackaged solution with a conservative maintenance guideline, and 70% “we can charge like 500%+ for these commodity-materials and get people to buy them multiple times over if we literally do exactly what the desktop printer industry did”

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Stoca Zola posted:

I don't use charcoal in any of my tanks and none of them smell bad - I think if you're smelling unsavoury smells you might just need to do bigger water changes (to make sure dissolved organics are getting removed). Regular water changes are enough to keep weird smells at bay in my experience. The thing with charcoal, and I don't 100% know if its true or not, is that when it reaches capacity and has adsorbed all it can, it can start dumping stuff it already holds to preferentially adsorb something else, which can result in climbing unwanted pollutants in the tank. Anyway the alternative to make sure you don't lose too much bacteria is to get some ceramic media in the tank or filter somewhere, that stays there long term and isnt replaced from filterclean to filterclean.

Ah yeah, I never said my house smelled like an aquarium I just thought it prevented it. As far as dumping what it has absorbed, that's a lie that the filter companies want you to believe. If it releases anything then it absorbs what goes back into it so it's basically like having no charcoal.

I agree with the person that says to get sponges or whatever, I think I have some blue stuff that I use to stuff into an ecig when those things first started.

Thanks for the help guys :D

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Please only use aquarium sponge, some other types of sponge have fire retardant which can be harmful to aquatic life. Maybe it'll be ok if you rinse it really well?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Yup what I use to shove into the ecig was an aquarium sponge lol.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Yup what I use to shove into the ecig was an aquarium sponge lol.

you keep calling it an ecig but if you were putting aquarium sponge in it I’m picturing one of those big blocky Star Trek-looking vapes that redditors like

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Na this was way before they were popular, there was a battery, a cartomizer and a cartridge with cotton in it, I took out the cotton and put in the fish filter because the cartomizer wouldn't burn it and it held more nicotine juice. And it was around the same size as a cigarette.

With all that at the time I went back to real cigarettes. Now I strictly use my vape because it came a long way since then.

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Ok Comboomer posted:

I usually just replace my charcoal bag, pull out my sponges and give them a quick squeeze/rinse (but often not), and back in they go. No sense in wasting the colony of beneficial bacteria I’ve built up in that media. And I’ve seen sumps filled with things like bioballs or bio blocks that have never (and ideally will never) been tossed or pulled out in years.

I was under the impression/assumption I should be rinsing the filter media with each water change... if that's not the case, I'd be absolutely thrilled.

The FX4's are a bitch and a half to unhook, lift out of the cabinet, take apart, etc. In fact, during cleaning today I was scheming how to use the rev-a-shelf system to be able to slide them out more easily.

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
https://youtu.be/V0VSMZRz5_8
https://youtu.be/ZMFls92n-nQ
https://youtu.be/LKK5vwCp76E
https://youtu.be/C0r8vDp1mTc

Just feel like dropping some vids

Edit: some more
https://youtu.be/nPY43FkpQFo
https://youtu.be/T4uK08WN-rc

pepperchomp fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 19, 2021

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
One more, https://youtu.be/WZppbUlHg8w
Ok ill stop. Im just kinda obsessed with my new breeding projects

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Strawberry rasboras are freaking neat. I've got one that's way more coloured up than the rest, and he's gotten pretty territorial about the areas underneath the foliage. He'll dart out and chase any of the other strawberries that get down under there. The rest of them mostly cruise around together, or join in schooling with lambchop rasboras.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I have been noticing my betta constantly misses his food that floats on the top, he constantly tries to attack in front of it to get it. Even with the filter off to ensure there is minimal movement. Would turning the light off help or is it just a light refraction thing making him see it in a different spot from where it actually is? I can't exactly put my head into the tank to check.

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

B33rChiller posted:

Strawberry rasboras are freaking neat. I've got one that's way more coloured up than the rest, and he's gotten pretty territorial about the areas underneath the foliage. He'll dart out and chase any of the other strawberries that get down under there. The rest of them mostly cruise around together, or join in schooling with lambchop rasboras.

Oh hes ready to make babies haha. Yeah strawberry, phoenix, chilis, spice, I like all those tiny guys. Been trying to figure out a way to breed them. They are extremely hard to find in Hawaii so I kinda wanna try to get more out into the market. Their eggs are so loving tiny and the water here is pretty hard so I am about to give up before I really get into it. I got those new metalhead high dorsal red laces to play with to get my confidence back up. My pond guppies were multiplying too fast for me, my main mother is giving birth literally every 20 days which I didn't even know was possible. Plus my 5 female blue velvet shrimp are all berried. Plus I'm pullin Miyuki white medaka and orange medaka eggs.hopefully I can get better at this and move to the rasboras next.

pepperchomp fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 21, 2021

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I have been noticing my betta constantly misses his food that floats on the top, he constantly tries to attack in front of it to get it. Even with the filter off to ensure there is minimal movement. Would turning the light off help or is it just a light refraction thing making him see it in a different spot from where it actually is? I can't exactly put my head into the tank to check.

I've mostly found our dumb ornamental angry fish to just be really bad at feeding. hadn't stopped most of mine for living to maximum lifespans. just check they get something at some point.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
How long should it take my bubble counter to stop showing bubbles once I power it off for the night? I'm using the CO2Art Pro SE regulator at ~20psi working pressure. I noticed this morning that it was still pushing about 1 bubble/second through the bubble counter before it powered on for the day, and I've been tinkering with it this evening. I figured there'd be some residual CO2 pushed through while the system depressurized, but even opening the end of the line doesn't resolve the problem. I'm guessing I got a faulty solenoid, but I figured I'd ask more experienced people first.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

papa horny michael posted:

I've mostly found our dumb ornamental angry fish to just be really bad at feeding. hadn't stopped most of mine for living to maximum lifespans. just check they get something at some point.

Ah thanks, yeah come feeding time or well basically whenever I'm near the tank he keeps swimming as close to me as possible. If I drop the food too far away from him I have to dip my finger into the tank and lead him over to it. But yeah I always make sure he gets and eats enough food before I have to remove the excess.

Thank you :)

Edit: to mention gravel cleaning like every other betta I've had, he is very curious about it and I have to be very careful not to suck him up or accidentally decapitate him.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 21, 2021

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Ah thanks, yeah come feeding time or well basically whenever I'm near the tank he keeps swimming as close to me as possible. If I drop the food too far away from him I have to dip my finger into the tank and lead him over to it. But yeah I always make sure he gets and eats enough food before I have to remove the excess.

Thank you :)

Edit: to mention gravel cleaning like every other betta I've had, he is very curious about it and I have to be very careful not to suck him up or accidentally decapitate him.

You ever try feeding him live brine shrimp? They chase em down and you can watch em eat em easy. Mine loves to hunt brine. The movement triggers em into eating right away. It is kinda annoying tho getting brine shrimp every 2 weeks or so tho. If u hatch baby brine they love that too. You just gotta stay on top of hatching every few days

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
He has no problem being interested in the foods I give him but I dunno about live food for the same basic reason I won't feed my cats mice. I'd be worried about parasites and such.

I did once try putting ghost shrimp with a betta before - yeah those guys didn't last that long. I assume it's pretty similar.

Though I haven't tried freeze dried brine shrimp with this one yet. He likes the freeze dried blood worms as treats though.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Hey can anyone take a guess at whats going on with my tank?

I built a make shift koi pond / tank out of 2x4s and pond liner in my basement about a year and a half ago to rehome a friends koi that were getting far too big for his aquarium (shocking I know).. rough math suggests its around 200 to 250 gallons, I was running two Fluval 307 canister filters and the tank was doing splendid for quite some time. The fish got big, the plants grew for the most part, everything was fine.

About a month ago one of the 307s died, so I figured Id replace it with a big Fluval FX4 , which is rated for 250g. Figured half the filters half the cleaning of filters. It ran fine for two or three weeks, went on vacation for a week, came home, everything seems fine etc. Spring time and the local koi pond place has all their new stuff for the season so I went over to check it out.. I took my daughter which was a mistake cause she talked me into a third Koi but thats neither here nor there. When I returned home to put the new fish in the tank, I noticed my oldest / biggest koi has fungus on his upper mouth. I did some googling, and checked water... NO3 nitrates are through the roof, like nearly off the scale and NO2 nitrites are so low they arent even showing up on the test kit.

I immediately did a water change and vacuumed the substrate in the tank, and even hooked up one of the old 307 cannisters filters in addition to the FX4, so the tank should have more than enough filtration at this point. Especially since it ran fine with dual 307s and the FX4 is twice as powerful as two 307s, and now Im using the FX4 and a 307.

The NO3 dropped a little, to somewhere between the highest and second to highest position on the test kit but is still alarmingly high, especially since this tank has never had any issues before.

Im wondering, my test kit has an expiration of like six months from now but is definitely over a year old, perhaps its just expired and reading faulty? Or perhaps my fish sitter grossly overfeed them while I was on vacation a week ago? I would think tho a water change and vacuum would have done more to fix the NO3 levels if there wasnt an underlying issue.

I have meds next day from amazon for the fish, should be here this afternoon, just wondering whats going on with the water quality all of the sudden that caused this

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

High nitrates is to be expected when running a huge tank like that with large fish and only a single FX4. My 150g indoor pond tank for my frontosa has both an FX6 and multiple sponge filters, and I still need to do large weekly water changes to keep the nitrates in check. You're going to want to keep both filters running for sure, and keep up on water changes.

When you put on the new FX4 filter, did you remove both of the 307s at the same time? And if so, did you reuse any of the filter media from them in the FX4? If not you in all likelihood triggered a new cycle when you did that.

e: I know the FX4 says it's rated to 250g, but those ratings really don't account for the bioload of larger fish

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 21, 2021

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

I did switch out both the old filters at the same time, but figured with such a large established tank there would still be plenty of bacteria in the actual tank to not break the cycle.

Also the fish arent as large as youre imagining, yet anyway. This tank is about bath tub sized, and twice as deep, the pics dont really do it justice and the fish are maybe 7-8 inches. One is a Koi I dont even think the other one is a Koi, some decorative faux goldish a shubunkin maybe. I rescued them from a 40g tank from a well meaning guy that bought them for his kid when they were guppie sized.

I will probably have to make a larger tank eventually.

I did do a another 30% water change, and a test test strip in just hose water... the testing kit seems accurate still as it didnt detect any nitrate or nitrite in my hose water. The second water change helped, I guess between the new filter and leaving the tank in someone elses hands for a while probably a bad combo and Ill have to monitor it and do more frequent water changes for a while.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Hi posted:

NO3 nitrates are through the roof, like nearly off the scale and NO2 nitrites are so low they arent even showing up on the test kit.

Just pointing out you WANT nitrites to be that low. It means your filters are working. You shouldn't see ammonia or nitrite for your biofiltration to be good. The only guaranteed way to keep your nitrates low is to keep up with your water changes, do bigger ones each time rather than smaller frequent ones; if you really want to see your levels drop you need to change more than half of your water at a time. Might help to make sure you've got good bright lights for your plants since I'm guessing a basement pond doesn't get much sun, that will help them grow and consume some of your wastes but they won't do as much as a decent water change will. Koi make a lot of waste and I think the key thing is that you don't have enough dilution to keep the nitrates down. I figure getting a bigger pond is out of the question but maybe you could up your water volume with some kind of out-of-pond sump equivalent? I've seen some cool DIY filter designs for koi ponds made with food grade plastic barrels, they sit above ground out of the pond and are a lot like canister filters that don't need to be pressurised.

Bacteria is on surfaces, not in the water column, to clarify.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

Stoca Zola posted:

Just pointing out you WANT nitrites to be that low. It means your filters are working. You shouldn't see ammonia or nitrite for your biofiltration to be good. The only guaranteed way to keep your nitrates low is to keep up with your water changes, do bigger ones each time rather than smaller frequent ones; if you really want to see your levels drop you need to change more than half of your water at a time. Might help to make sure you've got good bright lights for your plants since I'm guessing a basement pond doesn't get much sun, that will help them grow and consume some of your wastes but they won't do as much as a decent water change will. Koi make a lot of waste and I think the key thing is that you don't have enough dilution to keep the nitrates down. I figure getting a bigger pond is out of the question but maybe you could up your water volume with some kind of out-of-pond sump equivalent? I've seen some cool DIY filter designs for koi ponds made with food grade plastic barrels, they sit above ground out of the pond and are a lot like canister filters that don't need to be pressurised.

Bacteria is on surfaces, not in the water column, to clarify.

I rent where I live, my landlord is cool with the tanks I do have and all which is why I dont really want to create a thousand gallon koi pond in her basement out of respect. Heaven forbid it ever sprung a leak, not to mention at some having so much water is the basement is going to cause the house to get gross humid and moldy I would think.. but its also because I rent that Im not trying to dig out a huge pond in the backyard either.

I do have a 75 and a 50g tank laying around I could probably rig one up as a sump tank with little trouble. but my fish to tank ratio is honestly pretty low I think. the third Koi is a tiny compared to the other two.

I know NO3 is not as bad as NO2 but it was still startlingly to see it that high as in the entire time the tanks existed its never jumped over say 40-60 ppm

Edit: Soon it will be warm enough to put all the plants back outside for the summer and I can move all the lights back over the aquarium, the plants grow out of control to the point where I have to cut them back and trash excess once a month or so when I do, they just kind of maintain with the light level theyre at now

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Now with 100% more cleaner shrimp interaction and 100% less talking. Still bad camera work, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agJ6WhWKT_I

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

One of my blue tuxedo urchins decided she wasn't quite fancy enough, so went rummaging around in my zoas for a new hat.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I noticed this guy has a cloudy eye. In day 3 of Furan2 treatment.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

pepperchomp posted:

Oh hes ready to make babies haha. Yeah strawberry, phoenix, chilis, spice, I like all those tiny guys. Been trying to figure out a way to breed them. They are extremely hard to find in Hawaii so I kinda wanna try to get more out into the market. Their eggs are so loving tiny and the water here is pretty hard so I am about to give up before I really get into it. I got those new metalhead high dorsal red laces to play with to get my confidence back up. My pond guppies were multiplying too fast for me, my main mother is giving birth literally every 20 days which I didn't even know was possible. Plus my 5 female blue velvet shrimp are all berried. Plus I'm pullin Miyuki white medaka and orange medaka eggs.hopefully I can get better at this and move to the rasboras next.

They are all fairly new to the tank, and I'm pretty sure they were very young when they arrived. It's like the one guy was the first to hit puberty, and none of the rest of the school are getting randy yet. It started out with me wanting something small for the tank, and our local store had 4 lambchop rasboras. I got them home and realised I needed more for them to not be stressed out all the time, so I went online to order some tankmates, and picked up another 10, and a school of 12 strawberries at the same time. The shrimp are the most recent addition, when I saw the local store had a big mix of various neo colours, I had them pick out some blue ones for me. The shrimp do not care one little bit if there's a school of lambchops in the way, if one decides to go for a swim, they'll just barge straight through, and spook the fish out of the way. Great fun to watch.

In other news, I've been growing out a bunch of floating plants in a rubbermaid tub. Hopefully so I can have some starter plants for a patio pond. A posting on facebook lead to me picking up 3 female and 2 male endler/guppy hybrids yesterday. The fella I picked them up from said he thinks one of the females might already be knocked up. So they're chilling in the rubbermaid, getting ready for when the weather is warm enough for summer tubbin'. This was the first time I've seen endlers of any kind available for me to buy, so I pulled the trigger a little earlier than might have been optimum. The price was pretty great in my books though!

eta: I wish I could find medaka available here. They've been bred in space, but not for the Canadian aquarium trade apparently.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

B33rChiller posted:

They are all fairly new to the tank, and I'm pretty sure they were very young when they arrived. It's like the one guy was the first to hit puberty, and none of the rest of the school are getting randy yet. It started out with me wanting something small for the tank, and our local store had 4 lambchop rasboras. I got them home and realised I needed more for them to not be stressed out all the time, so I went online to order some tankmates, and picked up another 10, and a school of 12 strawberries at the same time. The shrimp are the most recent addition, when I saw the local store had a big mix of various neo colours, I had them pick out some blue ones for me. The shrimp do not care one little bit if there's a school of lambchops in the way, if one decides to go for a swim, they'll just barge straight through, and spook the fish out of the way. Great fun to watch.

In other news, I've been growing out a bunch of floating plants in a rubbermaid tub. Hopefully so I can have some starter plants for a patio pond. A posting on facebook lead to me picking up 3 female and 2 male endler/guppy hybrids yesterday. The fella I picked them up from said he thinks one of the females might already be knocked up. So they're chilling in the rubbermaid, getting ready for when the weather is warm enough for summer tubbin'. This was the first time I've seen endlers of any kind available for me to buy, so I pulled the trigger a little earlier than might have been optimum. The price was pretty great in my books though!

eta: I wish I could find medaka available here. They've been bred in space, but not for the Canadian aquarium trade apparently.

I found medaka online ages ago at a science lab supply company. Maybe check for those? They also had poo poo like specimens and a few other live animals, mostly inverts, for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
https://youtu.be/32kC3dvgctk
https://youtu.be/NJmAmaYzvMI