Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
The entire city is burning

You can see the flames, like the inside of a mad jukebox

Lost boys stalk the streets with those jungle markings on their chests

Barbarians prowl in shadows, their heads rocking with rodents

Motorcycles reproduce in nocturnal alleys groaning with greasy pleasure

And they've blown up the YWCA like a giant balloon

And sent it out to sea full of screaming, lovely, lonely girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

R.I.P. Jim Steinman 1947-2021

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1zFAhZWfKL4KnPtQQq5Aed?si=YePMA8G1SQu6QluOTf-6Tg Spotify playlist collecting extant works

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

No thanks.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sure, op. cool. whatever

in other news has anyone heard of dimetrodon? it's an ancient synapsid - a proto-mammal rather than just being some sort of lizard - that they reckon had a big dorsal fan for sexual display

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

sure, op. cool. whatever

in other news has anyone heard of dimetrodon? it's an ancient synapsid - a proto-mammal rather than just being some sort of lizard - that they reckon had a big dorsal fan for sexual display

cool

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

sure, op. cool. whatever

wow, what the hell? that's amazing... possibly my new favorite animal. i need to know more about these beasts!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
if I had just looked at that I'd've thought, ok that's a dinosaur, but it's not, it's a sexual proto-mammal and since you explained that I'm like "wow"

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

sure, op. cool. whatever

Imagine this thing playing a bass guitar while dangerous pyro goes off behind it and a pterodactyl screams overhead

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mozi posted:

wow, what the hell? that's amazing... possibly my new favorite animal. i need to know more about these beasts!

These days the thinking is they walked more upright than previously thought.

Oh yeah and they hosed up sharks on the reg.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

They had to walk more upright in order to hold the bass properly

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
drat. Dimetrodons seem really cool. Thread opened.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
op: stop closing this thread and also you must post 10 pictures of dimetrodons or be probed FOREVER

Cubone
May 26, 2011

the fact that the spikes are connected to the vertebrae is kinda crazy. the spine is so important, neurologically speaking, and they have these big protuberances hanging off of them. it seems like something hitting the sail would risk damage to the spine

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

If dimetridon spoke english, what would be the most appropriate accent for it to have. I'm thinking italian

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

If dimetridon spoke english, what would be the most appropriate accent for it to have. I'm thinking italian

Slavic, surely.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Or maybe a new yorker heyyyyy I'm SAILIN here!!!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Extremely harsh New Jersey guido

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i have a pet dimetrodon but you're not allowed yo meet it its at my dad's house and we aren't allowed to go to my dad's house sorry but its true i really do

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Alternatively, yooper so strong you can barely tell what he's saying

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 20, 2021

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Did middle aged dimetrodons ever have trouble getting their dorsal fin up?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

whatever accent this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKJgSMQY2yM

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Cubone posted:

the fact that the spikes are connected to the vertebrae is kinda crazy. the spine is so important, neurologically speaking, and they have these big protuberances hanging off of them. it seems like something hitting the sail would risk damage to the spine

Normally, you'd be correct. Dimetrodons actually pupated underground for 17 years in larval form munching on nutritious plant roots, safe from harm.

After 17 years, they emerge enmasse, and large swathes die quickly to predation, but for the "lucky" survivors, they live a couple weeks, long enough for a molt, mate, lay eggs, and die.

The sail ultimately helps ensure they attract a mate, which is much more important to the survival of their species.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

i think you are right - they sounded like extremely animated italians

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I could swear there's another dimetrodon thread around here somewhere.

Which is good because they're cool and it's cool to talk about them.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
whenever I work out I try to channel the spirit of the dimetrodon and I think it's made me more powerful

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

sure, op. cool. whatever

Stealing Meme Poker Party's gimmick, I see :wiggle:

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Here the dimetrodon is compared to an average human for scale:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This is a good and cool thread if you ignore the first four posts.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Cubone posted:

Some of the fossil specimens we have seem to feature broken spine tips which have healed over.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Weka posted:

These days the thinking is they walked more upright than previously thought.

Oh yeah and they hosed up sharks on the reg.

Good doggy.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Bronze Fonz posted:

Here the dimetrodon is compared to an average human for scale:

Oh drat I didn't know they got that big.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I loving love Bat Out of Hell. Shout out to Todd Rundgren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsQHVWBeTUU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sure, op. cool. whatever

thats cool but wouldn't a red one be better?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm a sexual pro-toe mammal

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Why is there augmented reality for all sorts of lame dinosaurs, but not for a cool animal like dimetrodon. I just want to pretend I'm hanging out at home with my pal dimetry. Wtf scientists

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Why is there augmented reality for all sorts of lame dinosaurs, but not for a cool animal like dimetrodon. I just want to pretend I'm hanging out at home with my pal dimetry. Wtf scientists

technology will finally be justified the day i walk up to my house and there's a dimetrodon on the rocks roaring at intruders

Weka
May 5, 2019

oh dope posted:

Oh drat I didn't know they got that big.

Some humans are 7 or even 8 foot tall.

big_brother
Sep 27, 2015

Man if I had one as a pet I could take him on a boat and we could sail the high seas together. Id call him captain sailer claw and we would do so much lootin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
"The refined smoke accord makes this an austere and luxurious scent for evenings on the town, whether with a special someone or alone and looking for trouble."