Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If any movie could use gratuitous CGI blood it'd probably be Mortal Kombat, in my opinion.

Scorpion Dad's hook being improvised from his wife's farming tool is cool as hell and fits the whole "angry revenge ninja" theme perfectly. It doesn't look like Modern Scorpion uses the same kunai which is a bit of a shame.

E: pics so that this is a better snipe

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

If any movie could use gratuitous CGI blood it'd probably be Mortal Kombat, in my opinion.

Agreed, the problem with CGI blood is that it looks unreal, but MK's gore has always been on that side.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'll be streaming this movie in the CineD Discord for those want to stop by and watch with goons. Stream will be live Friday night at 9PM central time, movie chat will be in the #snack-snyders-slyders channel.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I love the costuming colors in that opening scene.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

opening scene footage is cool, Joe Taslim is a badass

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I was worried about him pulling off a mean mug because I've only seen him as a good guy but he was doing a great job!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Excited to see more of him in Warrior season 3 :supaburn:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ludi Lin put a cast picture on Twitter

https://twitter.com/ludi_lin/status/1385023435315634178?s=21

Apparently the mountainous man on the far left is playing Reiko which is funny because I’m pretty sure he was never that huge in the games.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DC Murderverse posted:

Apparently the mountainous man on the far left is playing Reiko which is funny because I’m pretty sure he was never that huge in the games.

Yeah in the games that character was always very default human looking. Unless they cast a huge dude to follow up on Reiko's MK4 ending at last..........

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

There are a lot of jobbers in the movie

Jax explodes his head in the trailer with a massive clap

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

I wonder if they're making canon that Reiko is actually Shao Khan.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
I had no idea there was a second season of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Ow7nCFuaE

Vince MechMahon posted:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The United States posted:

I had no idea there was a second season of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Ow7nCFuaE

They retconned that later saying he just likes to sneak in and wear the helmet.

Also not only was there a second season, they shot and had ready to go a third season that they just never released!

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Did I see correctly this comes out tomorrow? Super pumped if that’s the case

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

You saw correctly. Get hype!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
The original Mortal Kombat movie is coming back to HBO Max May 1st. I'm surprised it wasn't there already. Weird.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Also not only was there a second season, they shot and had ready to go a third season that they just never released!
What the hell is going on with Warner Bros? :psyduck:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The United States posted:

The original Mortal Kombat movie is coming back to HBO Max May 1st. I'm surprised it wasn't there already. Weird.

What the hell is going on with Warner Bros? :psyduck:

They've been sitting on it since before MK X. In fact, it's cast listing was the first reveal of a bunch of characters that debuted in X. It's really fuckin weird and I wish they'd just put it out.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Vince MechMahon posted:

My money's still on "disappointing failson"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I saw the movie. It's pretty fun and the fights are great. Kano is an absolute treasure, basically acting like Johnny Cage from the other movie, only grouchier and with a lot more profanity.

The best way I can describe the movie is that if Street Fighter was a GI Joe movie with Street Fighter characters, than this is an X-Men movie with Mortal Kombat characters. This is probably the biggest drawback because it needlessly has to explain poo poo from the games that never needed much explanation.

It also leads to one of the stupidest moments I've seen in a movie in recent memory. All the chosen warriors have what amounts to mutant powers that need to be unlocked through whatever dramatic moment. Liu Kang has fire, Kano has a laser eye, Kung Lao has... his razor hat. Anyway, after Jax gets his arms shattered, some Shaolin monks replace them with skinny prosthetics. He has metal arms, but they're like bones and look pathetic. When he has a dramatic moment where he needs to save Sonya, his powers kick in via his skinny metal arms suddenly transforming into bulky cybernetic arms. That's his innate ability. What the gently caress?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Gavok posted:

It also leads to one of the stupidest moments I've seen in a movie in recent memory. All the chosen warriors have what amounts to mutant powers that need to be unlocked through whatever dramatic moment. Liu Kang has fire, Kano has a laser eye, Kung Lao has... his razor hat. Anyway, after Jax gets his arms shattered, some Shaolin monks replace them with skinny prosthetics. He has metal arms, but they're like bones and look pathetic. When he has a dramatic moment where he needs to save Sonya, his powers kick in via his skinny metal arms suddenly transforming into bulky cybernetic arms. That's his innate ability. What the gently caress?

Jesus Christ

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gavok posted:

I saw the movie. It's pretty fun and the fights are great. Kano is an absolute treasure, basically acting like Johnny Cage from the other movie, only grouchier and with a lot more profanity.

The best way I can describe the movie is that if Street Fighter was a GI Joe movie with Street Fighter characters, than this is an X-Men movie with Mortal Kombat characters. This is probably the biggest drawback because it needlessly has to explain poo poo from the games that never needed much explanation.

Lol, I couldn't help myself and had to read this because of the "What the gently caress" at the end...and it sounds amazing :allears:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
if Avatar can do metalbending, why not Jax

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

To be honest i'm watching it for Scorpion and Sub-Zero. Hiroyuki Sanada and Joe Taslim :dance:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

One Easter egg that did have me mark out is Sonya and Jax have a whole room of clippings and research about the existence of the Mortal Kombat tournament. I'll have to look it over again, but not only does it show a newspaper clipping involving Nightwolf, but there's a piece of art depicting Kotal Kahn.

As far as I remember, that's the only reference to one of the modern MK characters.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I can't believe loving Z-tier characters like Reiko and Nitara were in it and Johnny Cage and Baraka are saved for a sequel

Overall, not a good movie but it's fun in a hilarious turn your brain off kind of way. In normal times a wait for streaming, not spend money.

Kano owned though and new Shang Tsung is no Cary Tagawa but he hams it up and clearly is having a blast doing so.

Also as a fun callback to the original Mortal Kombat movie Raiden is just as useless as in the first movie :v:

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 23, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I can't believe loving Z-tier characters like Reiko and Nitara were in it and Johnny Cage and Baraka are saved for a sequel

To be fair Reiko and Nitara are great jobbers because they wont overshadow Sub Zero and literally no one will care if Fake Shao Khan or Succubus get killed gratuitously

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
i feel like the dialogue in mk annihilation was better than this

like this was grade school kid writing bad

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is it funnybad at least or just kind of grimdark-bad?

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
cringe bad

think the quality of this reboot is a real disservice to the franchise especially given how good the recent reboot games were

like that series on youtube a few years back was way better

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Does this come out on HBO Max at midnight EST?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

How are u posted:

ZSJL came out at 12am Pacific Time, so probably then

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Gavok posted:

this information along with the original character tells me this is going to be brutal nasty fights between extremely 90's adaptation script treatments where things that never really need explaining turn into the most insane parts of the movie. this rules.

How are u posted:

PST

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hiroyuki Sanada doesn't look like he's aged since The Last Samurai.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Gavok posted:

This sounds hilariously dumb and yet not as dumb as the Jax Arm Sleeves from MK Annihilation

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 23, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I really despise film criticism these days

https://twitter.com/JonNegroni/status/1385454830223691777

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Journalism at this point is literally entirely second to third tier failchildren, and it really shows.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I really can't get a clear sense of how flawless this victory is. Someone get over here and help me sort through all this banality.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Clearly, that spoiler block was the sucker-punch chip damage.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mortal Kombat REVIEW: Animality on decent taste :smug:
Mortal Kombat REVIEW: The latest reboot is TOASTY :smugdog:
Mortal Kombat REVIEW: Back Back Back Punch from your screen :smugissar:

Gavok posted:

MK2: Kurtis Stryker unleashes his hidden power of of being a cop - but turns out that planting cocaine unseen is not much help against otherworld invaders

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

This movie is schizophrenic as gently caress