Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I think I misread the post within the context, because when I wrote that it very much read like that poster was advocating against putting public health solutions in place (You know, better education, easier access to testing and cures), and instead putting propaganda-like (wrong word, but I'm having difficulty thinking of the right one at the moment) restrictions in place.

I don't think you can significantly reduce the incidence of casual sex by alone changing the representation of casual sex in popular media because it's only addressing a fraction of the cause, and ignoring all of the material circumstances that lead people to those sorts of decisions. Public image and education is only part of the problem, I think (although I'm pulling the rest of this sentence outta my rear end) that a lot of the reasons people choose casual sex is out of a tendency towards risk-taking, that comes from not seeing a future for yourself.

Anyway, I think you'll get *some reduction*, but this is the exact same choice you see with abstinence based sex education, which has been shown repeatedly not to work.

Because in regards to a health crisis, investing money in public policy to change the media people see, is always going to lose out versus investing that same money in actually solving the problem directly and providing better and more accessible healthcare to adults.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
people gently caress because it feels good

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
for some people it feels bad

so they don't gently caress

and that's also fine

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Internet Janitor posted:

and that's also fine

evolutionary dead-end.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Internet Janitor posted:

and that's also fine

for sure but I don't think they are out having casual sex all the time

e: but I'm a goon so what the gently caress would I know about sex

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

alexandriao posted:

I think I misread the post within the context, because when I wrote that it very much read like that poster was advocating against putting public health solutions in place (You know, better education, easier access to testing and cures), and instead putting propaganda-like (wrong word, but I'm having difficulty thinking of the right one at the moment) restrictions in place.

I don't think you can significantly reduce the incidence of casual sex by alone changing the representation of casual sex in popular media because it's only addressing a fraction of the cause, and ignoring all of the material circumstances that lead people to those sorts of decisions. Public image and education is only part of the problem, I think (although I'm pulling the rest of this sentence outta my rear end) that a lot of the reasons people choose casual sex is out of a tendency towards risk-taking, that comes from not seeing a future for yourself.

Anyway, I think you'll get *some reduction*, but this is the exact same choice you see with abstinence based sex education, which has been shown repeatedly not to work.

Because in regards to a health crisis, investing money in public policy to change the media people see, is always going to lose out versus investing that same money in actually solving the problem directly and providing better and more accessible healthcare to adults.

sorry, i was riffing on the hn post you quoted, not your take on it

i mean the post went basically like "oh no public policy is a bad workaround, we should fix the root cause" and then basically went on to list a bunch of public policy ideas completely unaware that they are contradicting themselves

imo it's actually effective to change the media people see through public policy, because the drinks industry would not have the ads if they were not effective!

i would not chuck this in the same bucket as education, because i think education ought to try and present an objective view of the situation i.e. drinks are bad bad bad but we like them so here is a way to play the game as safely as possible. and you do not want your education to be so full of poo poo so that a kid can see through it immediately which destroys their trust in the information you gave them (cf the usual drug scare in schools or abstinence based sex ed)

ads are different because it's a bunch of really calculated psychological mind fuckery to get your head to associate thing with cool thing and make you want it

i might even say regulating media depictions of alcohol has more useful results than upping some vice taxation or reducing availability, because i saw how finnish people just started hitting the shops in estonia when their booze got too expensive (and estonian people started shopping in latvia), i.e. this stuff just creates a black/grey market really quickly. in estonia it was actually really counterproductive because people were starting to drink less, but once it became necessary to do huge stock up raids, numbers went back up because if you buy in bulk you also buy more to have a rainy day cache it turns out

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Penisface posted:

imo it's actually effective to change the media people see through public policy, because the drinks industry would not have the ads if they were not effective!

they wouldn’t produce and show the ads they do if they didn’t think the ads were effective

for all anyone knows, this quarter’s ad buys are suppressing demand, not maintaining or increasing it

just like 40% of cops aren’t domestic abusers, 40% of cops are domestic abusers that we know of

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
people's whose job it is to convince other people to buy product would never use those same skills to convince their employer to fund them. that would be unethical.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ergot_vacation 7 hours ago | parent [–] | on: The terrifyingly prescient ‘Serial Experiments Lai...

Never trust a "journalist," or anyone who uses the phrase "very online" to review anime in a meaningful way. I stayed away from Mob Psycho for ages because of nutty articles like this reading meaning and intention into it to a degree that would have made Freud blush. It's all just projection. To some people, everything has to be about preaching ideology, spreading their collection of neat, tidy just-so stories about how the world works. They can't just let the work speak for itself.
Glad to see this though, because it reminds me I should get around to finally trying Lain. Oh, and I highly recommend Mob Psycho as well.

(notable for bad takes on criticism in general, not anime in particular)

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
it's a super dumb take in general and extra dumb when applied to a work that absolutely was intended to have people read way more meaning into it than the writers thought of

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

fritz posted:

reading meaning and intention into it to a degree that would have made Freud blush. It's all just projection

lol

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

sometimes a tsundere cigar with big sloppy tits and a racoon tail is just a cigar

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

drdeadringer 1 hour ago [–]

> Cape Cod MA
I used to vacation there.
As one of those clueless people who can't buy marijuana in a legal state, I am equally clueless on the signs of terrible addiction if I drove through Cape Cod, MA today.
I'm not sure what makes me more sad -- the existence, or my incapability to notice the existence.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

dcolkitt 19 hours ago [–]

Tokyo has the most deregulated property market of any major city in the world. Housing prices haven’t increased in 25 years.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

drdeadringer 1 hour ago [–]

> Cape Cod MA
I used to vacation there.
As one of those clueless people who can't buy marijuana in a legal state, I am equally clueless on the signs of terrible addiction if I drove through Cape Cod, MA today.
I'm not sure what makes me more sad -- the existence, or my incapability to notice the existence.
So I had to look this one up and I just want to say that aside from the incredibly dumb implication of small town america being devastated by weed addiction or something, the article isn't about drugs, it's about house prices shooting up in small towns because of wealthy people moving there as a result of the pandemic, and nobody in the entire thread had mentioned drugs or weed so it's even weirder in context.

Also this is a good one:

mring33621 0 minutes ago [–]

There is no such thing as "locals getting screwed" in this scenario. We live in a free country, where people sometimes choose to move. In fact, when the demand for housing in an area goes up, often locals profit handsomely.

Unfortunately, "I was here first" sounds a lot like "gently caress you, I got mine". And it's not gonna fly.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
bsenftner 2 hours ago [–]

At the risk of sounding racist, Asian culture respect their commons to a significantly larger degree than non-Asian cultures. If the Singapore residential skyscrapers where in the United States, for example, the space between the buildings would be a no-mans zone of graffiti, illegal trade, and youth gangs.

Edit: hahahaha

sershe 17 minutes ago [–]

1km or especially 2km is not in any way a reasonable walk. It is just barely reasonable for a healthy adult in good weather, and still tedious.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 20, 2021

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Enderzero posted:

At the risk of sounding racist, Asian culture respect their commons to a significantly larger degree than non-Asian cultures. If the Singapore residential skyscrapers where in the United States, for example, the space between the buildings would be a no-mans zone of graffiti, illegal trade, and youth gangs.

"Youth gangs" now that's an expression I haven't heard since the 90s.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

lobsterminator posted:

"Youth gangs" now that's an expression I haven't heard since the 90s.

Yeah, I looked him up he's a late boomer in LA, so it fits that his conception of the world froze during that early 90s pop culture where cities were hot sweaty jungles of gangs a la Demolition Man, Predator 2, Falling Down, etc

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Enderzero posted:

1km or especially 2km is not in any way a reasonable walk. It is just barely reasonable for a healthy adult in good weather, and still tedious.

:psyduck:

i'm an out-of-shape slob and i can do 2km in like 20, 25 minutes at a pretty leisurely pace

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Enderzero posted:

Ah, citizens of Mega-city One.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

kitten emergency posted:

:psyduck:

i'm an out-of-shape slob and i can do 2km in like 20, 25 minutes at a pretty leisurely pace

I have a short commute but before covid I used to walk 3km both ways to work and back. And if the weather was good I walked 6km via a nicer route.

3km walk is something you don't even consider. 6km walk starts to get long and you can work up sweat so it's not for every day.

Dropping that daily casual exercise really contributed to gaining weight during covid :(

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Enderzero posted:

good loving lord

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Enderzero posted:

when your fingers type a greater distance than you walk in a day

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mystes posted:

Also this is a good one:

mring33621 0 minutes ago [–]

There is no such thing as "locals getting screwed" in this scenario. We live in a free country, where people sometimes choose to move. In fact, when the demand for housing in an area goes up, often locals profit handsomely.

Unfortunately, "I was here first" sounds a lot like "gently caress you, I got mine". And it's not gonna fly.

this is basically true

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Enderzero posted:

lol

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ansible Adams posted:

this is basically true

you think the locals forced out of their homes by rising rents are profiting from an increase in their landlord's property values?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Jabor posted:

you think the locals forced out of their homes by rising rents are profiting from an increase in their landlord's property values?

ah but you see in this case the renters could take advantage of the rising house prices by taking out a loan to buy their own real estate and bet that the price increase will pay them back

bing bong so simple

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Singapore = Asian culture
Kowloon walled city = I dunno, maybe they’re Finns or something? Too messy to be real Asians

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Neon Noodle posted:

Singapore = Asian culture
Kowloon walled city = I dunno, maybe they’re Finns or something? Too messy to be real Asians

kwc was the britishs fault lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

bob dobbs is dead posted:

kwc was the britishs fault lol

find me a colonial border that the british didnt gently caress up and cause long-lasting problems

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

lobsterminator posted:

I have a short commute but before covid I used to walk 3km both ways to work and back. And if the weather was good I walked 6km via a nicer route.

3km walk is something you don't even consider. 6km walk starts to get long and you can work up sweat so it's not for every day.

Dropping that daily casual exercise really contributed to gaining weight during covid :(
you know you can just go out and walk around right?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Before I was commuting via a 5km round trip walk through a not particularly attractive area regardless of whether plus an annoying bus ride.

I theoretically wouldn't mind a 10km round trip commute by walking if it was nice, although I would more likely just bike in that case.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

you know you can just go out and walk around right?

I know. I've tried to but it's been harder for me to get motivated. I have started to bike a lot again when spring arrived.
It's much more easy to get that kind of steady daily walking when it's your commute. I sometimes try to "walk to work" by taking a walk before coming back home in the morning, but it's a lot easier to skip.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

purposeless walking is non trivial to motivate yourself to do, in my experience

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

purposeless walking is non trivial to motivate yourself to do, in my experience

i used to do it when i lived in the suburbs but went into the city to get drunk, i'd stagger home the 5km on foot for fun!

but now i have a hyper hydrosis problem which makes any activity awful. still i walk 0.75km to work each day

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"gettin home" is a purpose

"gettin drunk" also a purpose

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i'd walk all over if i didn't just turn into a giant pile of hosed poo poo!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jabor posted:

he's talking about property owning locals. no renters anywhere benefit from anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

lobsterminator posted:

I know. I've tried to but it's been harder for me to get motivated. I have started to bike a lot again when spring arrived.
It's much more easy to get that kind of steady daily walking when it's your commute. I sometimes try to "walk to work" by taking a walk before coming back home in the morning, but it's a lot easier to skip.
yeah I hear ya. I just made myself do it by going for 15-20 minutes at lunchtime and grabbing a coffee on the way home.