Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

I went to close my blinds before bed and it's loving snowing outside. I heard about there maybe being some earlier today but gently caress Ohio man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

gently caress Ohio man

:yeah:

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Waffleman_ posted:

I went to close my blinds before bed and it's loving snowing outside. I heard about there maybe being some earlier today but gently caress Ohio man

Look, I've lived in southwest Ohio my whole life, and as an Ohio man please don't gently caress me I have enough going on right now

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i hope canada's gooses are okay

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I would like you to list a thing that you think would help this character look less white and more asian

Trying to workshop a joke out of caucasian but I'm coming up empty

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kerrzhe posted:

i hope canada's gooses are okay

They should be fine since it's melting after a couple of days, hopefully the eggs will be too.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gaius Marius posted:

People seeing anime drawings and thinking they're white will never not be ridiculous

I refuse to believe Ryu is Asian. He's from Wigan.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I won’t lie, cultural biases have made it so that I assume that every light-skinned character in Japanese fantasy media is caucasian, if that’s problematic in some way then I might consider taking steps towards actively and consciously undoing that assumption, but man sounds like a lot of work

I blame cloud’s “facial” “features” and blondness

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It doesn't actually matter too much how you conceptualize the character inside your head. A black man, a white man, and an Asian Man will all visualize a Stick man as their own race.

The dumb part is when you start exposing opinions about how a Japanese Character, born to Japanese Parents, made for a Japanese Audience is actually supposed to be White. Without thinking for a second that It's purely stylistic.

To think of it another way, why should you have a problem with the color of an Anime's skin, or their hair. When you without thought accept that Homer Simpson is a White American?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

They should be fine since it's melting after a couple of days, hopefully the eggs will be too.

yeah what i know about birds on eggs is that they have a body temperature of like 100+ degrees normally, and they get the egg up on their feet and push it up on a little bald spot on their chest and it's like being in a little oven they're so well insulated

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay Rust posted:

I won’t lie, cultural biases have made it so that I assume that every light-skinned character in Japanese fantasy media is caucasian, if that’s problematic in some way then I might consider taking steps towards actively and consciously undoing that assumption, but man sounds like a lot of work

I blame cloud’s “facial” “features” and blondness

Cloud is a possible exception because its a cyberpunk setting intentionally meant to be largely western. See: Barrett. (Although it is a mix, Shinra is potentially Chinese or Japanese)

It kinda matters if the Japanese media is set in Japan or not.

Gaius Marius posted:

It doesn't actually matter too much how you conceptualize the character inside your head. A black man, a white man, and an Asian Man will all visualize a Stick man as their own race.

The dumb part is when you start exposing opinions about how a Japanese Character, born to Japanese Parents, made for a Japanese Audience is actually supposed to be White. Without thinking for a second that It's purely stylistic.

To think of it another way, why should you have a problem with the color of an Anime's skin, or their hair. When you without thought accept that Homer Simpson is a White American?

Yeah, its pretty natural to default to yourself until proven otherwise, but as soon as you find out otherwise you should accept that and not make a fight out of it.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 21, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Midgard is more Cosmopolitan than western, there's Japanese signs everywhere.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gaius Marius posted:

Midgard is more Cosmopolitan than western, there's Japanese signs everywhere.

A lot of the posters and ads in the city read as more European style to me, and Shinra I think is more Chinese characters than Japanese but I'm not 100%, and various characters in the slums read as either American or Japanese to me, so its a big melting pot of futurism.

Its definitely based on Akira which was straight Japanese though.

English text isn't super rare in Japan or anything but that feels European to me for example.

E: Also more recent media like Advent Children has made Cloud appear a little more Asian, but I could totally buy him as Caucasian, American, or Asian-American. I don't think there's anything in the canon text that hints either way and that's cool and good. But other anime set within Japan you should probably assume the characters are Asian, naturally.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 21, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaius Marius posted:

You know I was thinking when I wrote an earlier post that white people seem to assume Homer is white and black people assume he's black, at least from my experience.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This week I learned for the first time that the conflict between Scorpion and Sub-Zero was rooted in a war between Chinese and Japanese warrior societies...

I learned this from the MK11 story but the new movie makes it very obvious from the outset... I don't think it came up in the 90s movies?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This week I learned for the first time that the conflict between Scorpion and Sub-Zero was rooted in a war between Chinese and Japanese warrior societies...

I learned this from the MK11 story but the new movie makes it very obvious from the outset... I don't think it came up in the 90s movies?

Paul WS Anderson is a hackfraud and the 90s movie is loving trash so

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

To be fair to the old film, NRS only really made that a big deal in the last few games. I think Sub-Zero was originally canonically Chinese but I don't think Scorpion was Japanese until recently? Or I guess maybe he was but they didn't really emphasize it at all until recently.

To NRS credit, they've taken what were a bunch of action movie hollywood stereotypes and retconned them into pretty cool characters slowly over the years.

E: Also while MK11 has an Asian actor as the voice of Scorpion, they can't resist having Steve Blum voice Sub-Zero.
The casting for the new film looks really good. Hiroyuki Sanada rules and Joe Taslim was in The Raid.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 21, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lin Kuei vs Ninja name a more invisible feud.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

To NRS credit, they've taken what were a bunch of action movie hollywood stereotypes and retconned them into pretty cool characters slowly over the years.

Yeah at least from MK11 they seem to have done a good job with this.

Though still lol even with the real name and story they've given to him... The name "Noob Saibot" will always be funny

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Propaganda Hour posted:

the 90s movie is loving trash

:getout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1WHKM6WWjA

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
As videogame movies go mortal Kombat is probably the best there ever was.

The second one was utter trash though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

As videogame movies go mortal Kombat is probably the best there ever was.

The second one was utter trash though

The best video game movie by far is the japanese Ace Attorney movie

this is not a joke, it rules

Andrast fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 21, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Super Mario Bros movie is underappreciated.

e: lol left out "movie" which is kind of an important to forget!!

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 21, 2021

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
IDK the second Max Payne movie was pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU0dgjon10U

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Gaius Marius posted:

The fact that it is purely stylistic is its own problem, though. Reinforcing the colorism in Japanese culture by making every anime protagonist as light skinned as possible isn't great.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

The Super Mario Bros is underappreciated.

It’s probably a perfectly functional movie by itself tbf, but umm, I have no idea why they didn’t just make an anime/cartoon OVA cause trying to make the series about a cartoon man fighting enemies like “turtle on cloud”, “football turtle”, and “grumpy mushroom” a gritty 90’s movie seems fundamentally damned even if you can make an okay movie out of its setting cause it’s bound to disappoint someone even if it’s the next Godfather on its own merits.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

FirstAidKite posted:

The Super Mario Bros is underappreciated.

I've only ever read the novelization

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Saw this from a skins pack for guilty gear strive and seeing Sol and Ky color-swapped is giving me cursed vibes

Last Celebration posted:

It’s probably a perfectly functional movie by itself tbf, but umm, I have no idea why they didn’t just make an anime/cartoon OVA cause trying to make the series about a cartoon man fighting enemies like “turtle on cloud”, “football turtle”, and “grumpy mushroom” a gritty 90’s movie seems fundamentally damned even if you can make an okay movie out of its setting cause it’s bound to disappoint someone even if it’s the next Godfather on its own merits.

They did make an anime/cartoon OVA but it was Japanese only, and other than that there was the cartoon too.

The movie had a gritty look to it but it was still incredibly Mario, and it was oddly cheery in spite of its look. You still had things like snifits, plumbers, pipes, sliding, the goombas were small heads on big bodies instead of big heads with no body, a couple koopalings, yoshi, daisy, koopa in a giant bucket floating over the good guys, big bertha, big jumps, bobomb, a king transformed by koopa's "evil magic" aka devolution, the super scope, and numerous instances of the brothers surviving life-threatening scenarios because they had mushrooms to protect them.

I think that the movie did a hell of a lot better with "mario but gritty" especially when compared to another live action attempt with the fan series "there will be brawl" which was just an embarrassingly "ow the edge" thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If you're cold, they are cold, bring them inside.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Made a nice bathroom in House Flipper
I don't have a car so I made it in the garage

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

The Mario movie is honestly just such a wild concept that I can't hate on it, even if it drags in a lot of stretches.

Something so clearly out of the Brand Guidelines(tm) would never in a million years get made today

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Was Crimson Shroud for the 3DS any good?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/aceattorneygame/status/1384884633893052419

Finally

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Was Crimson Shroud for the 3DS any good?

It's a good but highly niche game. It's an homage to tabletop dungeon crawlers where you literally roll the dice for your attacks (and you can cheat the dice rolls, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPpC40Q0h5c). As I recall, the writing was decent to good, but there were some combat mechanics I don't think I ever worked out, and without those I had to grind.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
One weird trick the Doyle Estate hates.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

One weird trick the Doyle Estate hates.

Does Herlock Sholmes have emotions

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I don't really think of Homer Simpson as a white man so much as an "every-man"

If anything the indicators that he's white are that he's successful and treated relatively well in America which is more an indication of how lovely it is for minorities in the US than a real reason to assume he's a certain race.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I thought there were parts of the Simpson's that explicitly say like, Lenny is white Carl is black. But also I don't know that I've watched the Simpsons this century.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 21, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think yellow was always meant as a stand-in for white people on the Simpsons (though I forget exactly why the creators decided to make them yellow in the first place)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

They made em yellow so they would stand out when flipping between channels, which was something people did in the past when "watching TV"