Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Last year, I fell down a rabbit hole of reading about bumblebees (they are awesome btw, they have thumbsized ones in Brazil), and a line stuck with me forever - " bumblebee queens rule the hive with a combination of pheromones and violence'.

I thought they were cute before, now I think they are cute and badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Pookah posted:

Last year, I fell down a rabbit hole of reading about bumblebees (they are awesome btw, they have thumbsized ones in Brazil), and a line stuck with me forever - " bumblebee queens rule the hive with a combination of pheromones and violence'.

I thought they were cute before, now I think they are cute and badass.

The Italian word for bumblebee is 'bombo'

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

it looks like a horse-fly (klæg) being attacked by a yellowjacket (hveps). adult yellowjackets primarily live on sugary stuff such as fruit juice, tree sap, and your fizzy drinks, but their larvae need proteins to grow, and this is where the horse-fly comes into the picture: it is being turned into larvae food.
this is a good thing since horse flies are rear end in a top hat flies who suck blood from animals and humans, and they can have a rather painful bite.

good job yellowjacket.

Dumb Sex-Parrot has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Apr 16, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tak for info min ven :)

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Oh, that's what a horse fly is ? I've always called them blow flies, and had no idea what a horse fly was. TIL.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

So black holes with accretion disks are already cool – no matter the orientation, the disk never obscures your view of the shadow of the event horizon. In fact, you always see the entire shadow, because gravity bends light from just outside the back side and sends it our way. Similar bending occurs on the light coming from the back of the accretion disk, so we see a really cool 360 view of black holes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUyH3XhpLTo

Well Nasa just worked out what it would look like if all that gravitational lensing occurred for binary supermassive black holes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQcKIN9vj3U

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

it looks like a horse-fly (klæg) being attacked by a yellowjacket (hveps). adult yellowjackets primarily live on sugary stuff such as fruit juice, tree sap, and your fizzy drinks, but their larvae need proteins to grow, and this is where the horse-fly comes into the picture: it is being turned into larvae food.
this is a good thing since horse flies are rear end in a top hat flies who suck blood from animals and humans, and they can have a rather painful bite.

good job yellowjacket.

In the north of England horse-flys are called clegs.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

yaffle posted:

In the north of England horse-flys are called clegs.

??

??

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

++ Humiliation for loser Klæg

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Why yes if you click the pic you'll find out why it's badass

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inceltown posted:

Why yes if you click the pic you'll find out why it's badass

That's drat cool, thanks for posting it

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Bloop posted:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, amazing stuff.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

that tickles both my interests in history and cryptography, I hope this will somehow lead to the equivalent of the graffiti in Pompeii.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
"Good news, professor; I've managed to decode part of this khipu. Apparently," [looks at notes] "Chilche has a tiny knob."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lady Disdain posted:

"Good news, professor; I've managed to decode part of this khipu. Apparently," [looks at notes] "Chilche has a tiny knob."

This is a very detailed census

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

So black holes with accretion disks are already cool – no matter the orientation, the disk never obscures your view of the shadow of the event horizon. In fact, you always see the entire shadow, because gravity bends light from just outside the back side and sends it our way. Similar bending occurs on the light coming from the back of the accretion disk, so we see a really cool 360 view of black holes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUyH3XhpLTo

Well Nasa just worked out what it would look like if all that gravitational lensing occurred for binary supermassive black holes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQcKIN9vj3U

Black holes "should" last infinitely, cause they just eat stuff forever (excepting Hawking radiation).

Just stumbled across white holes though, which "should" last for an infinite short time, puking out all their (and their source black hole's mass with the same energy as said black holes suck mass in. Possibly the source of our own Big Bang.

How are white holes created from black holes? Yes (best laymen answer I've seen so far).

Apparently we're looking for a white hole right now, even though they may take forever to form, and may last a forever a small time (I like more and more that "infinity" just means we haven't figured out what ever it is is just yet).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wWzEUDk-9m0

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Xarbala posted:

This is a very detailed census

"Knot! I meant he has a tiny knot!"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector 34 posted:

"Knot! I meant he has a tiny knot!"

Finally, evidence of pre-columbian furries

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Otteration posted:

Black holes "should" last infinitely, cause they just eat stuff forever (excepting Hawking radiation).

Just stumbled across white holes though, which "should" last for an infinite short time, puking out all their (and their source black hole's mass with the same energy as said black holes suck mass in. Possibly the source of our own Big Bang.

How are white holes created from black holes? Yes (best laymen answer I've seen so far).

Apparently we're looking for a white hole right now, even though they may take forever to form, and may last a forever a small time (I like more and more that "infinity" just means we haven't figured out what ever it is is just yet).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wWzEUDk-9m0

This post and that video are not very good characterizations of what a "white hole" is.

Long story short, a white hole is a mathematical quirk that pops out of the mathematics of the most basic and naïve formulation of a black hole, one that postulates a non-rotating, uncharged black hole in an otherwise empty universe for eternity. They're an extension of the black hole and they occur basically in another universe as a consequence of the existence of the universe with the black hole, and they're the opposite of a black hole - instead of all possible paths ending at the singularity, all possible paths start at the singularity. In other words, instead of light (or anything else) being unable to escape, it is unable to get in. You can (mathematically) construct a series of universes where infinitely long paths go from a white hole, through infinity to another universe, and into a black hole, and out a white hole in yet another universe, and so on. This is all obviously the sort of nonsense you get when you make a mathematical model that is too simple. I'm not sure where you got the "take forever to form" and "last forever a small time", since by definition they don't form - they always exist and last forever in their extremely simple mathematical model of a universe.

Once you remove the perfect symmetry of the empty universe, or the symmetry of the black hole existing for all time, there is no longer any reason to think there is a white hole counterpart to a normal black hole (of the sort you might get from a collapsing star, for example, or the supermassive ones at the centers of galaxies). However, there have been various ideas of how to re-jigger the white hole idea to try and explain the origins of the Big Bang. Interesting ideas, to be sure, but ultimately doomed to fail for now, because we do not have a complete theory of how the universe works on very, very, very, very, very small scales. There is little reason to think that such a thing as a "black hole singularity" (as in, an infinitely dense point of finite mass) is real, and not a consequence of a limited theory, and therefore, no good reason to suspect that matter might be vanishing into another universe to pop out of a white hole. Not that "the big bang is a white hole, and black holes create universes" is a bad theory, just one whose time is yet to come, and one which is neither mainstream nor well-supported. I'm not sure how they mathematically reconcile the instantaneous nature of the "Big Bang white hole" with the non-instantaneous nature black holes, but it's been a long time since grad school and my general relativity is rusty, so I'm not sure if I could tell you whether it's properly explained or just a load of horseshit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Finally, evidence of pre-columbian furries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_warrior

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
If it's not a furry, it's vore. Either way, I'm side-eyeing the Incans pretty bloody hard.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yes, yes but that was a uniform

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm just saying you go around wearing an animal suit and hitting people with a paddle that's a furry.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I'm just saying you go around wearing an animal suit and hitting people with a paddle that's a furry.

When you wear a jaguar suit
paddlin' peeps to boot
that's a furry

Paddle has obsidian spikes
which conquistadors don't like
still a furry

holttho
May 21, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

This post and that video are not very good characterizations of what a "white hole" is.

Long story short, a white hole is a mathematical quirk that pops out of the mathematics of the most basic and naïve formulation of a black hole, one that postulates a non-rotating, uncharged black hole in an otherwise empty universe for eternity. They're an extension of the black hole and they occur basically in another universe as a consequence of the existence of the universe with the black hole, and they're the opposite of a black hole - instead of all possible paths ending at the singularity, all possible paths start at the singularity. In other words, instead of light (or anything else) being unable to escape, it is unable to get in. You can (mathematically) construct a series of universes where infinitely long paths go from a white hole, through infinity to another universe, and into a black hole, and out a white hole in yet another universe, and so on. This is all obviously the sort of nonsense you get when you make a mathematical model that is too simple. I'm not sure where you got the "take forever to form" and "last forever a small time", since by definition they don't form - they always exist and last forever in their extremely simple mathematical model of a universe.

Once you remove the perfect symmetry of the empty universe, or the symmetry of the black hole existing for all time, there is no longer any reason to think there is a white hole counterpart to a normal black hole (of the sort you might get from a collapsing star, for example, or the supermassive ones at the centers of galaxies). However, there have been various ideas of how to re-jigger the white hole idea to try and explain the origins of the Big Bang. Interesting ideas, to be sure, but ultimately doomed to fail for now, because we do not have a complete theory of how the universe works on very, very, very, very, very small scales. There is little reason to think that such a thing as a "black hole singularity" (as in, an infinitely dense point of finite mass) is real, and not a consequence of a limited theory, and therefore, no good reason to suspect that matter might be vanishing into another universe to pop out of a white hole. Not that "the big bang is a white hole, and black holes create universes" is a bad theory, just one whose time is yet to come, and one which is neither mainstream nor well-supported. I'm not sure how they mathematically reconcile the instantaneous nature of the "Big Bang white hole" with the non-instantaneous nature black holes, but it's been a long time since grad school and my general relativity is rusty, so I'm not sure if I could tell you whether it's properly explained or just a load of horseshit.

A good post.

The PBS Space Time series on Youtube are excellent continuations on these for anyone who found this interesting. The guy who does them is an actual astrophysicist and the videos are interesting and engaging without stooping down to the "SOOOO EPIX" that too many contemporaries fall into. Space is interesting enough! It doesn't need zazzing up!

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Cool, thanks for the correction. I was going by a couple of recent pop sci sources, so either there is a lot of disinformation or a lot of disagreement on this hypothetical subject. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_hole

https://www.universetoday.com/122715/what-are-white-holes/

https://www.space.com/white-holes.html

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

So what is it?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Otteration posted:

Cool, thanks for the correction. I was going by a couple of recent pop sci sources, so either there is a lot of disinformation or a lot of disagreement on this hypothetical subject. :)

White holes, much like string theory, warp drives, wormholes, and other things we don't fully understand, are a thing that much pop sci communicates wrongly as a result of the popularizer's untempered enthusiasm for bizarre speculative ideas. It's not so much that there's disagreement on the facts, it's that there's disagreement on how to communicate them on a spectrum from exciting to realistic. So I'm here to give you the realist interpretation of the facts at hand.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1385005207503921155

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Living the dream.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

DontMockMySmock posted:

White holes, much like string theory, warp drives, wormholes, and other things we don't fully understand, are a thing that much pop sci communicates wrongly as a result of the popularizer's untempered enthusiasm for bizarre speculative ideas.

I wonder if people did this back when with phlogiston and aether theory.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Real hero poo poo

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I didn't know Hal from Malcolm In The Middle worked in an Italian hospital.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DontMockMySmock posted:

White holes, much like string theory, warp drives, wormholes, and other things we don't fully understand, are a thing that much pop sci communicates wrongly as a result of the popularizer's untempered enthusiasm for bizarre speculative ideas. It's not so much that there's disagreement on the facts, it's that there's disagreement on how to communicate them on a spectrum from exciting to realistic. So I'm here to give you the realist interpretation of the facts at hand.

If we don't fully understand a thing, how is it possible to communicate it wrongly? Lots of pop sci are quoting actual theoretical physicists in an attempt to describe white holes to the rest of us, despite those physicist's wide ranging opinions, and lots of bizarre speculative ideas come from those same physicists. No one is saying saying that they are big foot. If you have a unified theory to describe them to the general public in understandable language, go for it please. Until then, they're going to be the equivalent of "Spooky action at a distance."

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/are-white-holes-real/

The Bad rear end tangent is that we monkeys will figure it out eventually, or at least die trying to (or maybe die hitting each other with bones because of the thing that suddenly appeared).

:)

E: too many thumbs and working on an old iPad. Apologies for typos.

Otteration has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Apr 22, 2021

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Otteration posted:

If we don't fully understand a thing, how is it possible to communicate it wrongly?

Many many ways. The most obvious being taking one of the things you don't actually know and basing your entire presentation on it being unequivocally true, which is where a lot of these "I loving love science" descriptions tend to start.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

Many many ways. The most obvious being taking one of the things you don't actually know and basing your entire presentation on it being unequivocally true, which is where a lot of these "I loving love science" descriptions tend to start.

Agree, and sorry. I should have used more qualifiers like "apparently", "according to", and "this guy says that...", etc. I did gently caress up there.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Otteration posted:

Agree, and sorry. I should have used more qualifiers like "apparently", "according to", and "this guy says that...", etc. I did gently caress up there.

Oh no, you have nothing to apologize for! To clarify, I was not accusing you of communicating badly, I was accusing the videos you've seen/articles you've read of communicating badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

But now it's your turn to describe that theoretical thing we don't understand to the rest of us in ways we can understand. Apparently metaphors and imagination are verboten. Good luck.