Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Englund is most noticable for his voice work of the hand in Idle Hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Nightmare 5 is borderline unwatchable to me. At least 6 has some real goofus moments that show someone is trying but failing in every conceivable way. That said, I think 4 always rubs me the wrong way the most in that it makes one of the worst decisions I could have imagined especially after the possible peak of the series with Part 3 by Drew Barrymore-ing the entire cast of Dream Warriors.

Also, wondering if I'm a weirdo for putting New Nightmare in the top tier of the franchise with 1 and 3, but just under them. All the horrorheads I've known irl love that movie but I think it gets a lot of poo poo on the internet? I don't really pay attention to the discourse outside of here. :shrug:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

Also, wondering if I'm a weirdo for putting New Nightmare in the top tier of the franchise with 1 and 3, but just under them. All the horrorheads I've known irl love that movie but I think it gets a lot of poo poo on the internet? I don't really pay attention to the discourse outside of here. :shrug:

My top three shakes out the same. New Nightmare is pretty divisive even among horror/Freddy fans in my experience though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

No it's just one of those little quirks about this thread, there's a lot of posters who don't like New Nightmare. The mainstream consensus has always been that it was a triumphant return to form for Craven and Freddy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

New Nightmare slaps

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

AHS '84 tries a little too hard but is still a lot of fun

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Englund is most noticable for his voice work of the hand in Idle Hands.

This was never disproven and is therefore, fact.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MacheteZombie posted:

This was never disproven and is therefore, fact.

That logic works for religions, so...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The voice of Englund, and the holy hand of the idle.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

The voice of Englund, and the holy hand of the idle.

This is true

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Kvlt! posted:

AHS tries a little too hard

I really want to like that show, but every season I've watched has a point where I just peace out of its nonsense. I get that the nonsense is the point, but it feels like I'm constantly getting elbowed in the ribs by Ryan Murphy saying "Get it? Wasn't that weeeeeeird?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have proof

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

drat did u show this concrete proof to noted handthiesm skeptic Lurdiak?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'll scalp you all like the silent hand in the film Idle Hands scalped Dexter Holland.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

if anyone need someone horror comic recommendations:

https://twitter.com/slimyswampghost/status/1384489738304884737?s=20

first three issues are out now, pretty good so far. definitely subbed for the rest of the series.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Nightmare IV is probably my least favourite of them all. I normally like Renny Harlin for what he does, but it's got a real "don't give a poo poo" vibe, not in the sense it's incompetent but more in the sense that "we're gonna do whatever we feel is funny in the moment". So you've got stuff like the dog piss resurrecting Freddy and the kung-fu fight which just comes off as lame instead of inventive. I love New Nightmare though, second best for me.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Y'all part 4 haters are loco. It's gloriously mtv pop trash and has some great setpieces.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Karloff posted:

Nightmare IV is probably my least favourite of them all. I normally like Renny Harlin for what he does, but it's got a real "don't give a poo poo" vibe, not in the sense it's incompetent but more in the sense that "we're gonna do whatever we feel is funny in the moment". So you've got stuff like the dog piss resurrecting Freddy and the kung-fu fight which just comes off as lame instead of inventive. I love New Nightmare though, second best for me.

The kung fu scene is embarrassing, but it was supposed to be an actual martial arts fight with choreography and they ran out of money. Freddy became invisible, instead.

I still firmly think it's a fun and good sequel.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/fart/status/1384403248228966409?s=20

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dig through the ditches and burn through the witches
I slam in the back of my Munster Koach!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Y'all part 4 haters are loco. It's gloriously mtv pop trash and has some great setpieces.

Yeah 4 gets very dumb but some of those shots are incredibly fun I can’t help but have a good time with that one. The waterbed scene looks so cool!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

I remember having this convo with my friend in like 2000.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I need to rewatch NoES 4, I remember thinking it wasn't great but I also thought that about 3 and was proven very wrong when I rewatched it last year.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Part 4 is very much a Renny Harlin film, both good and bad. It’s the first one devoid of any scary moments, and some of the performances are painful. Especially Tuesday Knight replacing Patricia Arquette.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I like 4 but I still don't understand the motivation to make the series funny instead of scary.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Flavius Aetass posted:

I like 4 but I still don't understand the motivation to make the series funny instead of scary.

$$$. They made no bones about making Freddy more appealing to as broad an audience as possible to sell merch. Rap albums, toys, tv spinoffs, 1-800 hotlines, talk show appearances. Freddy was the biggest thing on the planet for a couple of years, and a big part of that was a consumer base way younger than Craven had ever intended.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

$$$. They made no bones about making Freddy more appealing to as broad an audience as possible to sell merch. Rap albums, toys, tv spinoffs, 1-800 hotlines, talk show appearances. Freddy was the biggest thing on the planet for a couple of years, and a big part of that was a consumer base way younger than Craven had ever intended.

The Faculty of Horror episodes about the NOES series and Freddy's evolution paints a really clear picture of this. It's an interesting context to keep in mind, because NOES was so directly tied to it's pop culture status, moreso than Halloween and Friday or other horror franchise.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flavius Aetass posted:

The NOES series had to deal with a factor that most of the other slasher series didn't, which was that they had to keep Englund interested enough to keep signing on. I mean, sure the first two or three he probably was excited just to be starring in a prominent role but by 4 and 5 I think he was basically saying hey, I want to be given some fun and interesting material that isn't just scratching my claws on a locker and growling. In his interview for NOES 6 in Never Sleep Again he basically says that he knows they went way too far with the wackiness but that they felt like they had nowhere else to go, the only interesting way forward was to lean into the comedy.

And I think Englund was probably correct, because Freddy had become a pop icon. It was very tough to maintain his mystique as a scary slasher because here he is appearing on Maury Povich and here he is in a commercial for breakfast cereal and oh here he's doing a little bit to sell the Halloween costume and you just saw more of Englund doing that stuff than actually playing the part, so people got used to it.

Origami Dali posted:

Yep, exactly

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I mean, that's great and all and thanks for the Munster history lesson, but perhaps, and stay with me here, Rob Zombie just enjoys driving the Munster Koach around because he's a huge Munsters fan, he wanted to make a song about it, and "Dragula" was just a much catchier name and fit the song better?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's just a fun little thing to point out. The author is just making it unfun by using the "we need to talk about" clickbait style.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Good haunted house movies -- are there any? It feels like there was a real glut of these in the 1980s after Amityville et al, but most of them were horrible crap, and then poo poo was driven into the ground when affordable CGI made bad effects easier than ever and people forgot that your imagination is almost always scarier than some crappy CGI render (I'm thinking of crap like the remake of House on Haunted Hill).

There have to be good haunted house movies out there, right?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The last thing im gonna do is read 21 blue check mark tweets about my dear beloved close friend Rob Zombie

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Good haunted house movies -- are there any? It feels like there was a real glut of these in the 1980s after Amityville et al, but most of them were horrible crap, and then poo poo was driven into the ground when affordable CGI made bad effects easier than ever and people forgot that your imagination is almost always scarier than some crappy CGI render (I'm thinking of crap like the remake of House on Haunted Hill).

the remake of House on Haunted Hill owns, as does the original, but despite that needless slander I will still recommend to you The Haunting (1963), The Legend of Hell House (1973), and Ghostwatch (1992)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

The last thing im gonna do is read 21 blue check mark tweets about my dear beloved close friend Rob Zombie

I actually don't know a whole lot about Rob Zombie outside of his directing career, so for me it was very interesting.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The original The Haunting is the gold standard haunted house movie. Then there's The Innocents, The Changeling, Poltergeist, the original tv version of The Woman in Black, Ghostwatch, Ju On.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

well of course not since he doesnt consider you a dear beloved close friend, perhaps even a brother, like he does me

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Franchescanado posted:

I rewatched The Legend of Hell House over the weekend. Still in the Top 3 Greatest Haunted House movie of all-time for me.

The sets, the performances, the effects and the tone are exactly what I want out of a haunted house film. I love it.

Franchescanado posted:

[What are your top 5 haunted house movies?]

The Legend of Hell House, The Innocents, The Haunting ('63), The Shining, House on Haunted Hill original.

There's plenty of runner-ups, like The Changeling and The House That Screamed, but those 5 are tonally perfect for what I want out of a haunted house film.

Others that I like: Let's Scare Jessica To Death, Stir of Echoes, Poltergeist, The Orphanage, Grave Encounters, The Devil's Backbone, The Innkeepers, Hausu, Burnt Offerings, House, The Uninvited, 1408, The Awakening,

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Funnily enough this was prompted by me watching the House on Haunted Hill (the original) just now and remembering the shitfest that was the remake, and especially that awful CGI ghost at the end.

I'll take a cheap skeleton and Vincent Price over that any day.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I like the Changeling. It's got a great melancholy atmosphere and George C Scott just works well with ghosts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bitterandtwisted posted:

I like the Changeling. It's got a great melancholy atmosphere and George C Scott just works well with ghosts

George C. Scott would've been a great actor for modern times with all the green-screen work they have to do now. You could put him in front of a green-screen and just let him monologue and he'd totally sell whatever scenario you wanted to drop him into in post.