Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, that's great and all and thanks for the Munster history lesson, but perhaps, and stay with me here, Rob Zombie just enjoys driving the Munster Koach around because he's a huge Munsters fan, he wanted to make a song about it, and "Dragula" was just a much catchier name and fit the song better?

Well, yeah, he's gonna direct a film reboot of it this year, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Good haunted house movies -- are there any? It feels like there was a real glut of these in the 1980s after Amityville et al, but most of them were horrible crap, and then poo poo was driven into the ground when affordable CGI made bad effects easier than ever and people forgot that your imagination is almost always scarier than some crappy CGI render (I'm thinking of crap like the remake of House on Haunted Hill).

There have to be good haunted house movies out there, right?

His House, it's a Netflix original, and it's very good

bitterandtwisted posted:

I like the Changeling. It's got a great melancholy atmosphere and George C Scott just works well with ghosts

The Changeling is one that I didn't like at first, but it sorta grew on me over time. It's also a great movie to watch on a rainy evening while you slurp down some Korean Hot Chicken Ramen. :yum:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My 4/20 movie this year was Da Sweet Blood of Jesus. I only saw Ganja & Hess for the first time a few months ago, so it was pretty fresh in my mind. My spouse prefers the original, but I enjoyed the contemporary style of the remake. Some of the soundtrack choices were bizarre.

Knowing that it was a very close remake, maybe I went in with more patience for the more hazy experimental aspects. I felt like I derived a clearer statement from the remake, posing the question of how to be ethical in a fallen world, and the impossibility of exempting yourself from the cycle of violence.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 21, 2021

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Watching The Legend of Hell House and one of the characters at the very beginning straight up has a big booger hanging out of his nose.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Pretend I’m posting that Vince McMahon escalating reaction meme:

“Munsters reboot movie”
“Directed by Rob Zombie”
“Starring Elvira”

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Flavius Aetass posted:

Watching The Legend of Hell House and one of the characters at the very beginning straight up has a big booger hanging out of his nose.

Maybe it's a nose ghost

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
there's also a typo lol

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Flavius Aetass posted:

are you a new mod or an old one who changed their name/av

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

A mod from a different subforum, the mods you know are still the same

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Flavius Aetass posted:

there's also a typo lol

lol poo poo i didnt notice that. that's pretty great.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

I've been a C-SPAM mod since January.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Flavius Aetass posted:

there's also a typo lol

drat. Movie just lost half a star.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Flavius Aetass posted:

oh im sorry that must suck

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

oh im sorry that must suck

the real horror thread is in the mod forum

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

A Nightmare on Elm Street Trip Report:

Holy poo poo that owned.

My only real issue (aside from some shall we say questionable acting, but poo poo, it's a horror movie, what do you expect) was that the movie felt kind of rushed. Like it could have used another half hour or so to let the atmosphere build up, now it felt extremely rapid fire.

Freddy himself was much less of a quip machine than I expected, but I guess that's something that comes with the later movies. Now the most we got was the "I'm your boyfriend now" bit which was just ... drat.

I loved the inventivness of the kills, there were a lot of really cool shots in there and the soundtrack was extremely cool.

As was the very ending.

All in all a very good time and I have to fight the urge to jump straight into Elm Street II.

I really envy you a first watch of ANOES. It’s a legitimate classic IMO. Many memorable iconic scenes, that really take advantage of the surreal dream reality of the film. Freddy’s super long arms in the early outdoor scene. Freddy stretching through the wall. Tina in the body bag appearing in the dream during class. “No running in the hallway!” The stairs collapsing into marshmallow goo. The convertible in the final scene being decked out in Freddy colors.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Wolf (1994) is some good poo poo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, I did a werewolf themed series, and I'm not really into werewolves, but that was one of the unexpected gems.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Wolf (1994) is some good poo poo.

I went to see this on 35 mm a while back mostly because I mean when am I gonna see Wolf on 35mm again?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So, Near Dark.

First, is it worth checking out?

And if yes, how can I watch it? I wanted to for an October challenge thing a few years ago but came up empty.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So, Near Dark.

And if yes, how can I watch it? I wanted to for an October challenge thing a few years ago but came up empty.

Yes.

It's literally on amazon rental.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

So, Near Dark.

Yes it is definitely worth watching.

You'll have to ask a goon for a favor or get creative, because I have no idea where you can rent it or stream it.

Kvlt! posted:

It's literally on amazon rental.

It isn't, actually.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

So, Near Dark.

Maybe a top ten horror movie of all time.

I know it was on Criterion Channel recently if you have that (i don't)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Easily one of the very best vampire films.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Maybe a top ten horror movie of all time.

I know it was on Criterion Channel recently if you have that (i don't)

It left CC a few weeks ago, too. It's not available anywhere for streaming or rental.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Well poo poo. I can get a used blu-ray for $60, will need to think on this one.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Near Dark is great in general but the bar scene might be my favorite moment from any vampire film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm hoping the Criterion Channel thing was a bellwether that Near Dark will be added to the collection for real soon.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Well poo poo. I can get a used blu-ray for $60, will need to think on this one.

You can hop into the CineD discord and ask in the horror channel for help on finding a place to watch it without dropping a bunch of cash on a blind buy.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Wtf the physical copies are all oop too and going for wayyy too much money

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Flavius Aetass posted:

Condolences :rip:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

Near Dark is great in general but the bar scene might be my favorite moment from any vampire film.

🤠 Have ya heard the one about Buffalo Bill?!?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

$$$. They made no bones about making Freddy more appealing to as broad an audience as possible to sell merch. Rap albums, toys, tv spinoffs, 1-800 hotlines, talk show appearances. Freddy was the biggest thing on the planet for a couple of years, and a big part of that was a consumer base way younger than Craven had ever intended.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byTrzjQnkp4

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

It isn't, actually.

Amazon Rental is code for the thing i cant say or MZ/DDD will shaft me with probation

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

So, Near Dark.

In my opinion, it is the Best Movie.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Did anyone say The Others for a good haunted house film? The Others is a good haunted house film

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tarnop posted:

Did anyone say The Others for a good haunted house film? The Others is a good haunted house film

I've never seen it. It's on my May Challenge list!

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I've never seen it. It's on my May Challenge list!

Ditto! :hfive: I regrettably dismissed it as a shallow jump-scare film based on the previews, but from the reviews I've seen it definitely looks worth diving into, it also appears prominently on a few Queer cinema lists.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

it also appears prominently on a few Queer cinema lists.

The Nicole Kidman film? Is there a subtext to it that I missed when I watched it recently?

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Good haunted house movies -- are there any? It feels like there was a real glut of these in the 1980s after Amityville et al, but most of them were horrible crap, and then poo poo was driven into the ground when affordable CGI made bad effects easier than ever and people forgot that your imagination is almost always scarier than some crappy CGI render (I'm thinking of crap like the remake of House on Haunted Hill).

There have to be good haunted house movies out there, right?

I know I recommended it just the other day, but I really like We Are Still Here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Servoret posted:

The Nicole Kidman film? Is there a subtext to it that I missed when I watched it recently?

I remember the soundtrack and gay subtext being really enjoyable.