Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Lol I'm now a "DevOps Product Owner" and I have no idea what that means, and worst of all nobody else does either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

when the product breaks it's your fault

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Well, you see, Agile. Get me a kanban board and I can create a backlog of all the things you need to understand about owning a thing that is neither a product nor service nor even a well defined concept. You gotta Gemba walk before you can Gemba run son

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Oh don't worry we're already doing Scaled Agile Framework.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Executive: scrum? eXtreme programming? This all sounds scary, I’m not giving you money :mad:

Agile Consultant: okay what if it was called SAFE?

Executive: it makes me feel good. What’s that stand for?

Agile Consultant: I’ll get back to you

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh don't worry we're already doing Scaled Agile Framework.

trigger warning please

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

People who are too lazy and/or incompetent to define granular permissions and demand that their lovely service account be given full admin privileges are my favorite people to shoot down.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Oh man, the other one I just remembered.

Senior AIX (me). UCLA Med center. On site only. No more than 45 minutes commute.

$105k.

If anyone is familiar with the area. 45 min away from Wilshire loving Blvd.

Had a really good chat with the recruiter after I lolfuckno'd the offering.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Oh man, the other one I just remembered.

Senior AIX (me). UCLA Med center. On site only. No more than 45 minutes commute.

$105k.

If anyone is familiar with the area. 45 min away from Wilshire loving Blvd.

Had a really good chat with the recruiter after I lolfuckno'd the offering.

45 mins is what 2 miles in LA

And what's with that requirement? So you can hightail it into the office when some doctor can't get his iPad on the system?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Bob Morales posted:

45 mins is what 2 miles in LA

And what's with that requirement? So you can hightail it into the office when some doctor can't get his iPad on the system?

If that, some days.

My brother lives in the valley. If you even point in the direction of downtown, you're looking at an hour minimum.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Two miles is walking distance, maybe a bike if you don’t have the time.

This is where you school me on the pedestrian and cyclist friendly nature of that journey and laugh at my naivety.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

People who are too lazy and/or incompetent to define granular permissions and demand that their lovely service account be given full admin privileges are my favorite people to shoot down.
The icing on the cake is that she wanted it two days before release, when she's had literally 4 weeks to make the request.

Ain't happenin'.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

If you're going to be sending emails that turn themselves into a link and ask people to enter a password then that needs to come with a really clear UI, and whoever onboards people who are going to receive encrypted messages needs to explain the process to their recipients.

They sent me a screenshot today, showing the password reset screen and there was a flash message of 'Invalid User' over the email address, so it go to thinking they aren't using the right one to sign in. I tried to get them to forward me the actual email they are receiving, telling them they have an encrypted message. You think they would send it?

I go through our outgoing mail logs, and sure enough they aren't going to bobsmith@company.com, they are going to something like billingdepartment@somecompany.com

So sure enough, I tell them to sign in using that email address, and they get in just fine. They email their rep on our side of the pond and say everything is great.

Icing on the cake (from said email):

Yes, we were able to open and have uploaded all the encrypted efaxes received till now.

It was an browser issue, tech team has resolved it. Now was able to reset the password.

:rolleyes:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

technically correct, in that the person doing the internet browsing could also be called "a browser"...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

technically correct, in that the person doing the internet browsing could also be called "a browser"...

One of the least appreciated skills of customer service is not blaming the customer

As far as I can tell I am the only person in my current (customer service oriented) sysadmin department, and its both sad and hilarious how bad they are at communicating with customers without causing an international incident(our business model targets governments and gaos). Otoh its hard for me to get used to being honest with the customer

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

One of my hills I die on (constantly, constantly dying) is people blaming individuals instead of lovely systems/processes.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Internet Explorer posted:

One of my hills I die on (constantly, constantly dying) is people blaming individuals instead of lovely systems/processes.

I work in hosting, where the customer pays us to do stuff they don't know how to do, and then immediately log in and gently caress poo poo up and lie about it.

Please don't just open a ticket saying "we don't know why we are getting a 503 now?" When we can see that you were in the middle of a deployment, filled your disk, and frantically deleted poo poo thinking that would fix it. Just tell us so we don't have to search for it

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bob Morales posted:

It was an browser issue, tech team has resolved it. Now was able to reset the password.
:rolleyes:

"I'm unable to log into this program via SSO and I've reset my password several times and it still won't let me in, fix it immediately."
"Are you on the VPN?"
"The VPN is down but why on earth should that matter?"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

THE WORLD RUNS ON SHARED EMAIL BOXES

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

RFC2324 posted:

I work in hosting, where the customer pays us to do stuff they don't know how to do, and then immediately log in and gently caress poo poo up and lie about it.

Please don't just open a ticket saying "we don't know why we are getting a 503 now?" When we can see that you were in the middle of a deployment, filled your disk, and frantically deleted poo poo thinking that would fix it. Just tell us so we don't have to search for it

This is my pet peeve. If you hosed up, cop to it right away and it's a learning experience. Every junior admin I've trained I will always tell them they will invariably gently caress something up. It's okay, it's part of learning. Just be honest and we'll fix it.

If I have to dumpster dive to prove an RCA, and this goes double if I can prove you actively tried to cover it up, I will crucify you for it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Email is a core tenant of why I have a job, and I still maintain that email was and remains a mistake.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

kensei posted:

Email is a core tenant of why I have a job, and I still maintain that email was and remains a mistake.

I'm quickly discovering that I am apparently one of like 3 people in the world who will admit to being able to read postfix logs.

Fortunately, we don't do managed email

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
We just got told by an Azure capacity manager person that our VM usage is unique because we have monthly surges of Batch and VM cores.

We have around 1000 VMs in question, I think 16,000 cores total. They get powered on monthly for 36-48 hours, quarterly for 60-72 hours, then stopped and deallocated. Is this really abnormal or are we getting the runaround? I thought the whole purpose was that you could surge capacity even if it wasn't to reserved instances.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The pattern isn’t but the volume might be?

I know I did some workloads like that at my last job, but at a couple of orders of magnitude smaller scale.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, we do some monthly batches, but not at 16k cores.

Wasn't AWS created to scale for black friday? They talk about turbotax or whoever scaling up from Jan 1 and grow until April 15 and immediately drop.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't work with anything at scale, but I have heard of Azure having capacity issues that make me think they wouldn't be able to just turn on that many cores in a blink. I could see them wanting you to spread them out or start reserving them or some other such thing.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Guy Axlerod posted:

Yeah, we do some monthly batches, but not at 16k cores.

Wasn't AWS created to scale for black friday? They talk about turbotax or whoever scaling up from Jan 1 and grow until April 15 and immediately drop.

I work for not-TurboTax and we scale for something like 5 different peaks and valleys between November and May ( on azure )

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

While I generally agree with you both in principle and practice, when one particular employee continually has problems with a process (because they keep skipping steps and/or trying to go from memory rather than documentation) for multiple processes, and no other workers have trouble with these processes, sometimes it is the individual.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For sure. No argument there. I just tend to see more of the former than the later. Could be the industries I have worked in.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

MJP posted:

We just got told by an Azure capacity manager person that our VM usage is unique because we have monthly surges of Batch and VM cores.

We have around 1000 VMs in question, I think 16,000 cores total. They get powered on monthly for 36-48 hours, quarterly for 60-72 hours, then stopped and deallocated. Is this really abnormal or are we getting the runaround? I thought the whole purpose was that you could surge capacity even if it wasn't to reserved instances.

Welcome to ‘The Cloud by Microsoft (tm)’ where the promise of scaling in the cloud as you need is actually a lie

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Before you go can I interest you in an upfront payment for three years of compute you might not need?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

For sure. No argument there. I just tend to see more of the former than the later. Could be the industries I have worked in.

This has been my take too, but I've seen a lot of things in the frame of systems ever since reading "The Design of Everyday Things", which has done a lot of good for my career. Phoenix Project also had a lot of influence in that regard.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

It depends a lot. A ton of our processes are garbage and everyone fucks up, and then the one dude who made the process yells at everyone for loving up the process and it's SO SIMPLE* and it HAS TO BE THIS WAY** because REASONS***.

So like I said, I agree with you in principle. It was just frustrating watching the one person continually gently caress up everything and complain that the processes were the problem when for those particular things, he was the only one loving up, and they were as straightforward as they could be.

* - it's not
** - it doesn't
*** - the reasons are bad

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
A client's new VOIP phones aren't working. In fact, their Internet service is down entirely. Well that explains why the VOIP phones are down. So why's the Internet down?

Oh.

Oh no.

Somehow when their phone numbers were ported over from the local carrier to the SIP provider, no one at any step of the process noticed that one of those numbers was the one their DSL service was being provided on.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Kind of reminds me of our IT department telling users "don't log into sites with your company credentials! That's how passwords get stolen!" while simultaneously rolling out products that use SSO, but not seamlessly. Again, not always an easy problem to solve, but you're telling users not to do something while also expecting them to do that thing as a normal part of their work flow.

don't log into sites with your company credentials!

[half of SSO-enabled sites redirect to one single well known SSO domain]

[other half of SSO-enabled sites directly talk to LDAP/AD/similar and use their own native untrustworthy login page]

Entropic posted:

Somehow when their phone numbers were ported over from the local carrier to the SIP provider, no one at any step of the process noticed that one of those numbers was the one their DSL service was being provided on.

You can port a non-voice number?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Biowarfare posted:

You can port a non-voice number?

It was also their main number for the business, they had the DSL on that rather than a dedicated line.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Wait, it's possible to coexist voice and data service on the same DSL line/number?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah that's like one of the main reasons it was so highly used for residential data.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Biowarfare posted:

Wait, it's possible to coexist voice and data service on the same DSL line/number?

Yup. Home DSL service does it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Yeah, you just have a filter on the line past the DSL modem. Works fine, my home DSL does that, although I have a dual line modem now.