Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

I want to run through a game of Wicked Ones, to see if it ebbs and flows a little easier than stock Blades. I don't want to have my heart broken by PbP, so I'm going to go with CYOA. I've never done anything like this. Wicked Ones has tons of random tables, so there's a lot of easy GM work involved to make it almost entirely random. The game feels like it's almost solo-able by itself, but I thought the game might benefit from a little RNGoon.

Jesus Christ, CitizenKeen, stop overselling it.

What is Wicked Ones, you ask?

The easy answer is Forged in the Dark plus Dungeon Keeper. If that doesn't sell you, then here's a longer pitch on the Kickstarter page. The game is FREE on DriveThru, using the Crawford model of Deluxe-for-money.

So feel free to grab a copy and follow along. I'll give high-level pitches for some mechanical choices, but if you want to know what the deeper rules are behind the scenes, there you go.

However, you don't need to know how to play to participate. Everything will be presented in as rules agnostic a form as possible.

-------------

THE RULES OF THIS CYOA

I don't know what I'm doing...

GM Fiat. It's multiple choice CYOA, but if someone makes a compelling pitch that resonates with me, I reserve the right to run with it.

Write-In Candidates. If I give an option for a write-in, that's a chance to describe something cool. That coolness inherently overrides the vote if I like it.

Safety Tools. This is a dark game about evil things, but I'm definitely thinking, like, animated villainy in terms of tone. I'm not sure how best to handle safety in a CYOA game like this, so if we get close to the line speak up, if you get close to the line I'll ask you to knock it off, anybody who doesn't play nice will get asked to leave the thread. "I torture him, starting with the knuckles" is fine, "let's go take some slaves from the human village" is fine. This is not the thread for your BDSM fantasies.

Do I need more rules? gently caress, I'm in over my head.

-------------

LOGISTICS

Pace. Uh... I don't know. If this blows up I'll create some kind of structure, but I'm just going to wing it for now and call it when I see it. Right now I'm on the internet a lot Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Weekends and Wednesdays I'm usually enjoying nature.

Other Threads. Here's the Blades thread and here's the Wicked Ones specific thread.

-------------

Away we go?

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
THE DUNGEON AND IT'S ENVIRONS

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 22, 2021

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
OUR WICKED ONES

Captain Skagrash, the ratfolk marauder

• Dark Impulse: Vengeance
  • Revelry: Drinking
  • Gear:
    • Spring-loaded hidden dagger
    • Leather armor
    • Lockpicks
    • Spyglass
  • Defense: Against capture (lockpick)
  • Vile Friend: TBD
  • Dark Hearts 1/2

Professor Odom, the goblin crafter

• Dark Impulse: Obsession
  • Revelry: Craving
  • Gear:
    • Bag of loose parts
    • Safety goggles
    • Lamp & oil
    • Tool pouch
  • Defense: Against contraption volatility / disaster (safety goggles)
  • Dark Hearts 1/2

Rifteara, the Queen of Skulls, the orc warlock

• Dark Impulse: Fickle
  • Revelry: Worship of the Leviathan
  • Gear:
    • Scythe
    • Adorned with skulls
    • Summoning utensils
    • Torture tools
  • Defense: Against minion failure (skulls and torture tools)
  • Dark Hearts 1/2

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 23, 2021

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

First question first, In what sandbox are we playing?

Dungeons exist in a place and time. The flavor of that place and time is determined by the sandbox. It sets all kinds of tones.

CHOICE
(A) The Quiet Valley. The Quiet Valley is your proto-typical fantasy valley, filled with farmfolk and elves and rivers and forests and mountains.
(B) Colonial Seas. Do you want pirates? This is how you get pirates. Lots of islands, pirates, merfolk, port cities for raiding, etc.
[C) The Warzone. You're going to build your dungeon in the middle of a warzone? Are you mad? Are you insane? Yes. Yes you are.
(D) City Sewers. You're not near civilization. You're in it. Actually... you're under it. You're under the capital, in the sewers. These sewers are big. Bigger than your dungeon ever could be.

The game comes with four absolutely gorgeous maps. I'll include the free one, because it's free, as an example. I'll share whatever one we end up choosing. This will help us keep track of what is where.

[map removed]

Edit: Removing map of the Quiet Valley because it's not where we are and I'm easily confused. It's in the free version of the book. It's gorgeous.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 22, 2021

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I like choice A, the others have some nice art as well but I think it will strike a good balance of freedom and restrictions.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
B Let's be Pirates

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Voting D. We will take over the domain of the Skaven and mutant turtles.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Also voting D. We all float down here.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

D. Sewer levels in games are usually boring, but it's up to us to change it.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
D. It'll be OUR city soon enough.

e: although they ALL look good ngl, if we get second choices gonna say A. My heart still lives in the sewers though

e2: vv Excellent point. Changing my vote to B, then A, because I am chronically indecisive and it's having a negative impact on my life

Ichabod Sexbeast fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 20, 2021

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm down for the will of the crowd, but I will note that my instinct is the sewer is a wee bit limiting and a wee bit challenging (in that you're committing to an urban game, playing monsters who can't blend in with humans and so forth). Not trying to sway the pool, I think we'd just be trading breadth for depth, which I'm on board for.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 20, 2021

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013
I'd like to see B.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

D

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

I'm down for the will of the crowd, but I will note that my instinct is the sewer is a wee bit limiting and a wee bit challenging (in that you're committing to an urban game, playing monsters who can't blend in with humans and so forth). Not trying to sway the pool, I think we'd just be trading breadth for depth, which I'm on board for.

Sounds like a challenge!

I like. We would have to be stealthy and creative.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yarr, ye who would my matey be, you must choose the option B!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Arrrrrr we B pirates me evil heartys

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Somehow I'm the only C

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Pirates are humans, elves, and dwarves. Pirates are criminals, but they speak the Light Tongue.

If y'all build your dungeon in the Colonial Seas, you may sail a boat in search of booty, you may wear tricorn hats and eye patches, but you speak the Dark Tongue. You are monsters.

Dog Kisser posted:

Somehow I'm the only C

And you're special to me for it.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CitizenKeen posted:

Pirates are humans, elves, and dwarves. Pirates are criminals, but they speak the Light Tongue.

If y'all build your dungeon in the Colonial Seas, you may sail a boat in search of booty, you may wear tricorn hats and eye patches, but you speak the Dark Tongue. You are monsters.

As long as our boats aren't called the Niña, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria, we can't be all that bad.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
It's seven o'clock, I've got a beer, I'm calling it. WELCOME ABOARD SCALLYWAGS!

Give me a few minutes to write up the next bits.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Dang, missed out on the opening bell, but I suppose I was going to vote for pirates anyway. Count me in for wicked deeds, me hearties!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
One choice down. Here's two more: where and what?

CHOICE: Where will you try and build your dungeon?

(1) Skull mountain. There's a mountain shaped like a skull. Obviously that's where you're going to build your dungeon.
(2) Lighthouse basement. This is a game where death is on the line and an entire world of adventuring heroes want to kill you. Obvious may not be the wisest choice.
(3) Foothill forest. We're going to make the dungeon epic on the inside, secret on the outside.
(4) Within the volcano. gently caress SECRECY WE'RE BUILDING IT IN AN ACTIVE VOLCANO.
(5) Write-in Candidate. Is there somewhere else you'd like to build the dungeon? Write in candidates can sell me! I AM EASILY SWAYED.

CHOICE: What is your dungeon?

Wicked Ones has has dungeon themes, which fill the role of Blades' crew books. What kind of dungeon are you building? Dungeon themes give you a core ability, a bit of a purpose, and dictate your higher tier rooms that you can build.

(6) Enclave. Tapping Into the Arcane. Choose this dungeon theme if you want your dungeon to be mystical from top to bottom. Its core function is twisted landscape, corrupting the area surrounding your dungeon.
(7) Forge. The Power of Industry. Choose this dungeon theme if you want a dungeon full of monstrous inventions and steampunk tech. Its core function is power source, boosting the productivity and defenses of your dungeon.
(8) Hideout. Keeping Your Head Low. Choose this dungeon theme if you want to work as a cohesive unit and manipulate the factions of the region. Its core function is agents of chaos, allowing you to strongly influence faction clocks.
(9) Stronghold. Through Strength of Arms. Choose this dungeon theme if you want to face challenges with pure military might. Its core function is warband, giving you a powerful minion that can raid the region.
(10) Temple. Serving a Greater Power. Choose this if you want to focus on a certain god and its domains. Its core function is divine intervention, which you can use to cast a tier 3 spell from your god.

A MAP

I'm going to keep it black and white out of respect for Bandit Camp (publishers) until we add a little more personal flair.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 21, 2021

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
5- Sea Cave - Easy exit and entrance for a ship at low tide but impossible to even see at high tide while we stay warm and dry inside

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
(1) Skull mountain.

And (8) Hideout. Just because we are obvious doesn't mean we have to be obvious.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

5 - Tavern in the city, starting in the wine cellar - They'll never see it coming, and we can give them "adventures" to take out our rivals!

8 - Hideout - Really only works as this one, though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

5: I like Slaan's Sea Cave idea. Make us into that one pirate cave from that one MMO, with a big rear end dock inside the cave that leads deeper.

7: Forge. From our clockwork dockyards shall legions of mechanical monsters spew forth.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Tough choice between this and the Volcano, but it has to be Skull Mountain. Because it's Skull Mountain.

As for the type, they're all excellent. The Forge will allow us to go full Dr. Venture though.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

5 under the water water base

7 submarines?! maybe a steampunk octopus? the octopus wears a top hat and goggles?

Frances Nurples fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 21, 2021

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Clarifications while people deliberate:

I'm going to be sticking pretty close to baseline / what-it-says-on-the-box Wicked Ones. The tech level of a dungeon in Wicked Ones is "shoddy steampunk". I'm all for submarines that allow the occupants to play Russian-submarine-roulete, but that shouldn't be the only way into the base. You're starting in a dinghy.

The sea cave sounds super cool, but I'll note that I think it's mechanically useless. A core conceit of Wicked Ones is dungeon assaults, where adventurers come traipsing through your base breaking things. So the sometimes-secret sea cave is no different than an active volcano or the lighthouse basement. It's an awesome idea, I just don't want anybody feeling surprised or betrayed when heroes waltz in the front door.

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013
1 is an obvious choice, and I'd like a number 7 to go.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

#5 & #7 - A humongous mechanical whale disguise as a local tourist attraction protected by endangered species law and can't be touched, hunted, or inspected. Whale is big, and will 'grow' bigger as we expand.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Volcano Forge

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
1 and 7. I’m imagining a bunch of smoke coming out of the eye sockets.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Some open-ended questions until I have a computer to do an effort post...

What is the leviathan that lives in these waters?

How long ago did civilized factions arrive?

Who originally built the skull mountain?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

Agrak-Thar, the God of these waters, they-who-bides, lies lurking and awaiting the Day of Resurfacing

50 years ago, the speakers of the Light Tongue arrived, seeing only profit and plunder and squabbling amongst themselves for pennies

The true heirs to these waters - the beloved of Agrak-Thar, the rightful inhabitants, and the builders of wonders like Skull Mountain - are the so-called Wicked Ones, speakers of the Dark Tongue

And with our worship, our magic, our cunning, our might, and our recovered lost Engines, we will reclaim this land

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
5: We are pirates so our dungeon is obviously floating on the ocean. We have a Waterworld base that we can float around to terrorize lame-o land-based settlements.

9: It's a stronghold.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

I'll second a Volcanic Forge dungeon.

The leviathan is Rupture, a cantankerous old monster that lurks in the deep... but old tales said to come from wall carvings in ancient ruins claim it is the herald of some long-forgotten sea god, waiting for its master to one day return to the world.

The civilized races arrived three-four goblin generations ago, quickly settling in and spreading throughout the ancient ruins looking for gold and powerful relics.

It is not known for certain who built the skull mountain, but a common theory amongst the orcs is those who built the ruins were the ancestors of the races of Light while the skull mountain was built by some of the first speakers of the Dark Tongue.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Outrail posted:

5: We are pirates so our dungeon is obviously floating on the ocean. We have a Waterworld base that we can float around to terrorize lame-o land-based settlements.

9: It's a stronghold.

This.

CitizenKeen posted:

Philip, Prince of Whales. Demands to be addressed as "Your Royal Highness" as it eats you.

quote:

They have always been here. Some newcomers claiming to be more civilized arrived about a hundred years ago and are causing a mess.

quote:

A giant was killed and their head was left there. With time the flesh was consumed until only a skull remained. The rest of the skeleton is scattered around and under the seabed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Skull Mountain is the actual Skull of the mate of the Leviathan. Killed by a cosmic attack. The Leviathan now rages in the deep and hates coming to the surface because of the painful loss of it's mate.