Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

If the guns didn’t sound so anemic I’d be into it. So disappointing that they upgrade literally everything else from EYE but step back in the most important area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

If the guns didn’t sound so anemic I’d be into it. So disappointing that they upgrade literally everything else from EYE but step back in the most important area.

Been saying.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, the guns do sound weak. I forgot how much like cannons the E.Y.E weapons sounded. The SMG that had two firing modes: fast and faster is still probably the best gun ever put in a video game. More games need stuff like that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Game looks like it's 90% of the way to the inevitable conclusion of Call of Duty style animation recoil where crosshairs come back while you're ADS'd because the sights never mean anything anyway.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

BexGu posted:

The nearly released trailer for Necromunda: Hired Gun just pushed me to actually getting hyped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYW7-aW9R7c&t=1s

And it comes out on June 1st for digital platforms so not much more time to wait.

dj khaled

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Samurai Gunn 2, which was first announced in 2018, is finally emerging from the depths into Early Access in the Summer, with friends in tow.
https://twitter.com/SamuraiGunn/status/1384854438804738051

Also in surprise-out-of-nowhere-news, The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles brings together two previously Japan-only Phoenix Wright spinoffs set in (and outside of) Meiji-era Japan.
https://twitter.com/aceattorneygame/status/1384884633893052419

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Lemnis Gate looks like it might have some interesting time manipulation shenanigans. You play five 25-second FPS rounds where time loops back to the beginning and you then swap in to another character on your team to change the timeline. Lemniscate, by the way, is an infinity symbol or figure-of-eight curve in math, where the name comes from.

Could be fun, maybe? Comes out in the summer.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/950180/Lemnis_Gate/

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Kins posted:

Also in surprise-out-of-nowhere-news, The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles brings together two previously Japan-only Phoenix Wright spinoffs set in (and outside of) Meiji-era Japan.
https://twitter.com/aceattorneygame/status/1384884633893052419

Finally, everyone can now play the adventures of Herlock Sholmes.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

SlightlyMad posted:

Lemnis Gate looks like it might have some interesting time manipulation shenanigans. You play five 25-second FPS rounds where time loops back to the beginning and you then swap in to another character on your team to change the timeline. Lemniscate, by the way, is an infinity symbol or figure-of-eight curve in math, where the name comes from.

Could be fun, maybe? Comes out in the summer.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/950180/Lemnis_Gate/

Yeah, I have been following it for quite a while, becouse the concept sounds like it could be really, really interesting. That being said, Itd hard to say if it will be actually fun to play and it almost certainly won't be very popular,l (unknown developer + no hype + complex and hard to understand concept) which is kind of a big drawback for what seems to be primarily a multiplayer oriented game. :v:

Still, I'll almost certainly give it a spin at release.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

This post time traveled from a 13 year old in 1998.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This post time traveled from a 13 year old in 1998.

Hey, gun sounds and hit reactions are some of the most important parts of an FPS. Deathwing's are dogshit, and that's why that game is bad. Black carried an entire game on gun sounds and moderate destructibility.

If a bolter doesn't sound like an artillery piece being fired as a machine gun, blowing apart whatever it hits, it ain't a good bolter.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

destiny survived some very bad times based solely on its "gunfeel"

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I remember Black. What a game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hey, gun sounds and hit reactions are some of the most important parts of an FPS. Deathwing's are dogshit, and that's why that game is bad. Black carried an entire game on gun sounds and moderate destructibility.

If a bolter doesn't sound like an artillery piece being fired as a machine gun, blowing apart whatever it hits, it ain't a good bolter.

Deathwing is bad for a host of other reasons and while I agree that gun feel in an FPS is important - god knows I've whined about it enough in the Steam threads - I think that's really sweeping Deathwing's many other problems under the rug.

And that's what makes me just a tiny bit apprehensive about Necromunda (no the other one), Streum on has a long road to travel to prove that EYE isn't a fluke or a bizarre series of collisions of good things sandwiched between very bad.

Still interested though.

pineapple3k
Feb 12, 2014

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

believe it or not, this update reduced the install size of the game by about 30 GB

Oh man, I actually wanted to play this again a week or 2 ago until I saw it was a 100gb download and install. Then I saw this post and misread it, thinking it was reduced to 30 gb, not by 30gb and it is still a 90gb install.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hey guys, I know people were down on the Secret of Mana remake when it came out

but I think it might actually be a Good Game

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Nuramor posted:

Also as a heads-up, 11bit has a full bundle going on. If you ever wanted to get This War of Mine, Frostpunk, Children of Morta or the Anomaly series, now you can get them cheaper.
And you don't pay for what you already own.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/11bitBundleMadness

I'm keen on this for Frostpunk and Morta. Are the Anomaly games worth playing?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Internet Explorer posted:

It's a lot of fun these days.

is it at all approachable at this point if i've never tided a vermin? (or is it like late stage titanfall multiplayer :v:)

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

is it at all approachable at this point if i've never tided a vermin? (or is it like late stage titanfall multiplayer :v:)

I got into it with my brother and other than not knowing where tomes/skaven books (Grimoires or something) were we did fine, though we were playing with a friend who'd played more.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is that new Vermintide mode active in public games? I don't have a 'gaming crew' to play with and like being able to just drop in/drop out whenever, that mode looks hella rad though

e: Okay so far it's very active in public games but no one has the patience to complete a full run

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 22, 2021

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
God drat but Shadow of the Tomb Raider is frustrating. I played the first two in this trilogy, and while I don't really remember much about them, I at least remember not hating them. What made the original Tomb Raider games great was the freedom it gave you. Yeah, it was janky and most of the geography was broken down into one of four types of slopes, but regardless, when you looked up at a mountain or a giant head or whatever, you could see those ledges and you knew you could get there. Sometimes there was only one route, but often there could be many, because the game allowed you the freedom to do what you wanted to if the grade of slope was not too much.

But Shadow of the Tomb Raider is aggressively linear. I was getting really, really loving annoyed at how there seems to be bird poo poo telling Lara where to go. Like, sometimes there is just a never ending stream of bird poo poo from the ledge to the narrow walkway to the wall to the rope. And while I was angry about how much this loving game babysits me and makes sure I know just where to go, I also realize it's necessary to be able to play the game at all. Because Lara CAN ONLY CLIMB ON BIRD poo poo. I'm going through this agonizing part trying to climb an underground Spanish galleon, and my task is to get on this crate, and I know of like seven spots where I can drop to the crate, or jump to the crate, and Lara absofuckinglutely can reach it. When I go into her supernatural sense mode or whatever, she says, "I have to reach that crate." It's so loving frustrating, because the game babies you the whole way, leading you by the loving hand, until it presents you with a problem like this. I need to reach that crate. Well, I can reach that crate easily, but because there's no bird poo poo on the side of the crate I'm trying to grab, she can't grab it. I can't tell you how many times I've killed Lara because I forgot she only climbs on bird poo poo. Because, if you take the loving bird poo poo away, one ledge looks an awful lot like another BUT LARA CANNOT CLIMB ON THOSE SO DON'T EVEN TRY!

I have to finish this game because it's the last in a trilogy, but I don't remember the first two being this loving awful. I mean, I remember being pissed off about the bird poo poo, but not to this extent.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
isn't that a challenge tomb? just skip it and beeline the disappointing main story.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I would categorize it as easy to learn, hard to master. On the lower difficulties, it's almost impossible to actually wipe unless you're trying to, even with bots. But there's a lot of nuance and player skill involved, to the point where once you get good enough, playing on the easier difficulties gets boring.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm super dumb how do I delete cloud saves? I want to show a friend a game with a fresh save.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Acerbatus posted:

I'm super dumb how do I delete cloud saves? I want to show a friend a game with a fresh save.

You don't. But you can go to a game's properties and disable cloud saves for it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

I believe the 'easiest' way to do that temporarily would be to turn off cloud saves for the game in question - Right-click game in library, properties, general, untick Cloud Saves

Then delete the game's AppID folder in Steam - harddrive/Steam/userdata/userid/XXXXXXX - find the appid by looking up the Steam store page for the game it'll be the series of numbers at the end of the URL

Then launch the game, the saves should be gone until you reenable cloud saves.

No there is no better way to do this, Steam is very stupid.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

You could also use the family share function.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh poo poo right that exists. :doh:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

If you're using the computer you've already used you may need to make sure you delete/move the local saves depending on the game, though. Some games have their save folder tied to the account, but others don't.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Hollandia posted:

I'm keen on this for Frostpunk and Morta. Are the Anomaly games worth playing?

Personal taste may vary of course, but I had some fun with them, yes. Especially since they would be part of any of the bundles, so if you're already interested in the other games there's no harm in giving them a try as well.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Acerbatus posted:

How to delete cloud saves in Steam:
  1. Launch the game
  2. Delete the saves from within the game.
  3. If the game doesn't let you delete saves (looking at you, HZD), navigate to where they're saved and manually delete them from the folders.
  4. Exit the game.
  5. Steam will notice that you've deleted the saves while the game is running and clear the cloud saves.
Basically, Steam and cloud saves work like this: If game running, when game closed, clone local saves to the cloud. If game closed, when game launched, clone the cloud saves to local.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Who the gently caress designed this insanely stupid duo old men boss battle in Killer 7!?!? You can barely aim at them!!!!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea I loved Tomb Raider Reboot. It was a lot of fun and I loved just how loving brutal Lara was and how it never really questioned her just murdering a bunch of people. I like the mix of ancient Japanese and WW2 bunkers. Enemies were pretty cool and varied and just in generally a really fun game.

Rise, i played through but i found the area kinda boring and the story didn't catch me at all. I guess Japanese mythology is more interesting to me than Christian, or i guess specifically Byzantine. It's weird because i love stuff set in the snow, but I guess the map is a lot smaller, at least the first part where you spend most of your time so i just got tired of it.

Shadow I was really excited to play, but again, you spent so much time in the village it gets boring. Finding literally lost Maya still living in the traditional ways should have been cool, but you get there and you spend all you time doing not very exciting stuff. Also some segments were really loving hard to the point they were unfair. It's really too bad because Meso-American stuff could have been awesome.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thanks for the heads up about cloud saves guys. :cheersdoge:

punk rebel ecks posted:

Who the gently caress designed this insanely stupid duo old men boss battle in Killer 7!?!? You can barely aim at them!!!!

It's way easier if you just use a mouse for that part, but you should keep in mind you can still move around.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 22, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's a very strong theme within the Tomb Raider IP; someone finds something nice that works well, and they pump so many carbon-copy sequels so fast that they saturate their own niche market and drive away fans. Like, nuLara was very well received, which might imply people are ok with experimentation. But no, we got 3 identical AAA games within 5 years and the IP is dead again, goddamn.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Here's a weird question. Are there any good low spec l strategy games that are Good and worth my time? I've been playing eador broken land, and kinda want something a little less eurojank

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Jarvisi posted:

Here's a weird question. Are there any good low spec l strategy games that are Good and worth my time? I've been playing eador broken land, and kinda want something a little less eurojank

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 or Heros of Might and Magic 5.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jarvisi posted:

Into the Breach

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I like how the old, so very old, HOMM games are still strong contenders in this day and age. Like seriously, we haven't done better yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Serephina posted:

I like how the old, so very old, HOMM games are still strong contenders in this day and age. Like seriously, we haven't done better yet?

Maybe I'm misremembering but there aren't a ton of contenders to the direct gameplay lineage of HoMM? A lot of similar TBS games do bits and pieces of HoMM but a lot of them change how combat works or economy or city building. You had Disciples way back when as a contemporary but even then you already started seeing departures in how games handled almost everything, Age of Wonders, Lords of Magic, they all changed stuff enough - I think - to the point that no one has really encroached on making "A Better HoMM" at this point, a direct clone anyway.

Plus it's just deliriously hard to make good TBS games of that type, if the dozens of very, very bad ones are any indication. They got it right a couple of times, might as well just play those.