Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

cargohills posted:

I think if a player is so bad that they're already trying that over and over again they're probably not going to learn how to play more effectively without the cheating.

Yeah, like if somebody isn't engaging the strategy game on a strategic level, i'd hardly want the easiest mode to frustrate them by forcing it on them. I don't judge why people play games and someone playing x-com on beginner is unlikely to be someone playing a game for the challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

sonic should not be allowed to participate in the olympic games

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Rockman Reserve posted:

how loving dare you

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sonic should be on foot in the sega racing games and run ten times faster than any car but he should die instantly if he hits anything

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Rockman Reserve posted:

Because it wouldn't be fair to let professionals in, amateurs only like that scrub Mario

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

poverty goat posted:

In xcom the easiest difficulty setting actively cheats for you by secretly upping the odds as you take a 5% shot over and over, which hinders the player from ever learning to read and comprehend percentages, reinforcing the choice to make a bad bet and making it increasingly unlikely that you'll ever improve enough to move up to a harder setting. It's kind of baffling.

Not everyone's looking to move up to a harder difficulty though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

poverty goat posted:

In xcom the easiest difficulty setting actively cheats

But what about in....

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
XCOM 2

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
xcom games rule

im pretty bad at them tho

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Considering how many duds the XCOM franchise has managed to produce during its lifetime, its a small miracle that the reboot franchise actually seems to be doing very well.

Also, the XCOM2 was a step down from the original; unnecessary turn limits and added bullshit mechanics everywhere. The Chimera Squad is superb, though. Especially considering it was a B-production that was announced like week before launch.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

your avatar is bugging me since always, but i know why now. it says you love lizard tits but it's clearly a snake in your avatar, and i finally looked up and snakes are not considered lizards.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Space Kablooey posted:

your avatar is bugging me since always, but i know why now. it says you love lizard tits but it's clearly a snake in your avatar, and i finally looked up and snakes are not considered lizards.

:suspense:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Kablooey posted:

You know what they say, it's all squamata!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Space Kablooey posted:

my worldview..shattered...:negative:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

People complain about the giant floating arrow that points to the next location you should go, but it really does make the whole gameplay experience so much smoother. I can get lost in real life, I don't need to get lost in a video game.

That being said, my idea of a perfect game would be if everyone designed maps and the hints for them as if people were playing morrowind, and provided an optional giant floating arrow just so you don't have to open gamefaqs. The giant floating arrow has made modern game designers pretty lazy - but it's definitely better than the way things were before.

i hate the giant floating arrow. it can be useful, for a split second, at night, in games with a randomly generated star skybox, or in a poorly designed dungeon. but if it takes 30 seconds to switch on and 30 more to switch off again, or even worse can't be shut off at all, then gently caress your game i'm not gonna play it. minimalist ui or bust

pentyne posted:

Every developer should want their games to be accessible in general to the widest potential audience. Some people would be more then happy to buy a $60 game if it has a mode that made it easier for them to play through in order to enjoy a good story or narrative experience. There's a recent example of this working hugely to the favor of the game, Pathologic 2, where they added in a "easy" mode later and their reviews skyrocketed from 80% to mid 90%.

Stanning for the "git gud" crowd is the dumbest take imaginable. Not everyone has unlimited hours to break down a brick wall of difficulty in a video game. Some people want to play something for an hour or two, see reasonable progression, and put it down for later.

there are two sides to this. adding difficulty tiers and accessibility options takes varying levels of time and effort to problem-solve and program. if you want to make your five-hour-long indie action rpg compatible with blind players, that's great! more power to you!

i'm not sure where you're going to get tens of millions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of man-hours to make it happen but if you're passionate about it love will find a way

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 21, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
it makes absolutely no sense to me either but x-com 2 is just not as good as xcom 1 but kudos to them for doing something a bit different

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought XCOM 2 wasn't as good. I don't even think there is a specific reason why. I think it's just generally over-engineered. There is too much bullshit going on and a lot of it is extraneous or just not interesting. Big case of feature bloat imo.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

For me it really boils down to not being very interesting setting: mostly just bio-engineered cops and robots against the quirky and inventive rebels vs. actual aliens against multinational spec ops trying to keep humanity safe.

Unfortunately the game narrative also decided that "XCOM 1 cannot happen because winning actually means losing, because the explosion of the temple ship means that all Ethereal fleets will target us and we get steamrolled".

So XCOM3 will probably be about the XCops trying to invent ways to get rid of the Ethereal-enhanced fishes, not keeping the solar system safe since we now have the technology to trivially do short range space travel.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
I played the original X Com (90s) for an hour or so back in the. I had a lot of fun with the part where you chased down UFOs on the world map, but I was really disappointed when I found out what the actual game was like

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

poverty goat posted:

In xcom the easiest difficulty setting actively cheats for you by secretly upping the odds as you take a 5% shot over and over, which hinders the player from ever learning to read and comprehend percentages, reinforcing the choice to make a bad bet and making it increasingly unlikely that you'll ever improve enough to move up to a harder setting. It's kind of baffling.

Why is it important for the player to move up to a harder difficulty?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

NOBODY ANSWER THAT QUESTION

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I liked the illuminati vs. aliens thing of XCom. The aliens were bad, but the XCom organization with their shadowy controller, and the way you'd sell alien tech on the black market gave it a fun creepy undercurrent. I liked the idea that if the aliens weren't around, you'd probably be the bad guys.

But they never really capitalized on it and then it went into boring ol' rebels vs. authoritarian aliens for the sequel.

Edit: I kind of agree with the XCom difficult thing that it's not about the difficulty, but that they are actively teaching people to interpret numbers wrong outside of XCom. People have enough trouble with numbers as it is, just make it transparent that their percentages are increasing.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 21, 2021

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

flavor.flv posted:

NOBODY ANSWER THAT QUESTION

I'm gonna answer it watch this.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

So that they can continue on to....

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
XCOM 2

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
What if we include accessibility modes or story mode, but only allow it to be unlocked by beating the game on normal

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Doctor J Off posted:

What if we include accessibility modes or story mode, but only allow it to be unlocked by beating the game on normal

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Bring back cheats

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Brutal Garcon posted:

Bring back cheats

Cheats represent an unacceptable threat both to pay-to-win and pay-to-not-grind monetization. They will never be seen in anything made by a major studio again except maybe as jokes.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah for example instead of "Infinite Ammo" now you it would likely be "Pre-order bonus/DLC handgun with infinite ammo!"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I agree that XCOM should show the modified percentages instead of adjusting the odds in secret (because there's no reason for it to be secret) but I'm not loving the implication that it's XCOM's responsibility to teach people how to understand percentages

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

PinheadSlim posted:

Yeah for example instead of "Infinite Ammo" now you it would likely be "Pre-order bonus/DLC handgun with infinite ammo!"

This already exists, the RE2 remake has both options, either git gud or give them five bucks! :haw:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0102-CUSA09193_00-BH20000OPNDLC001

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

site posted:

Yeah well y'all went through 4 pages while i was sleeping and I'm not gonna read all that poo poo

It already got a thorough rebuttal and it was pretty much ignored so expect the same from these people with your attempt. They are giving the same responses, and the guy you're responding to is even calling it a bit. They don't care, and we should both accept that about them and act accordingly. There are no inroads to make.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I agree that XCOM should show the modified percentages instead of adjusting the odds in secret (because there's no reason for it to be secret) but I'm not loving the implication that it's XCOM's responsibility to teach people how to understand percentages

You help people do taxes a few times and you realize it's everybody's job to help people understand percentages.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

It already got a thorough rebuttal and it was pretty much ignored so expect the same from these people with your attempt. They are giving the same responses, and the guy you're responding to is even calling it a bit. They don't care, and we should both accept that about them and act accordingly. There are no inroads to make.

XCOM 2 Hard 2 Furious

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Meme Poker Party posted:

XCOM 2 Hard 2 Furious

You know you're part of the problem, right?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

You know you're part of the problem, right?

signalnoise I'm sorry because you're probably good people but the fact of the matter is this topic sucks rear end, dude!

It's sucks a lot and we don't wanna do it anymore, dude!

We had several pages about it and they went nowhere and it SUCKS, DUDE!!!

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Meme Poker Party posted:

signalnoise I'm sorry because you're probably good people but the fact of the matter is this topic sucks rear end, dude!

It's sucks a lot and we don't wanna do it anymore, dude!

We had several pages about it and they went nowhere and it SUCKS, DUDE!!!

I hate to agree with snaketits guy but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The CDI had a better library of games than Sony Playstation.