Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
If shes actually making enough milk and it's your baby that is just not effectively feeding, an electric double breast pump can be a sanity saver. Nothing wrong with my ability to produce but our son was just a terrible feeder direct from the source (tongue tie not properly released).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
She's pumping at every feeding to try and stimulate her supply but it just isn't enough so far. She ends up with at best .25 ounces after every 15 minute pumping session. That's if you combine it from both breasts.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

If it wasn’t for formula and my husband feeding the baby at night, I wouldn’t have been able to do the first 3 months.

Yeah I was the "husband feeding the baby at night" in this kind of situation and it was absolutely essential to allow any sort of sanity.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

silvergoose posted:

Yeah I was the "husband feeding the baby at night" in this kind of situation and it was absolutely essential to allow any sort of sanity.

Completely. My daughter is 14 months old now. I thanked my husband again earlier today for helping so much at night those first months.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
We did formula and being able to do shifts with hubby at night saved my rear end. Newborns are really, really hard. It does get easier. My mom came by first thing in the morning some days after I had a rough night so I could sleep. The sleep when the baby sleeps...thing, it's great in theory but I was so anxious about the baby waking up that I couldn't fall asleep for the first week or two unless I knew someone was watching her. A good dose of PPA/PPD in there too.

You will survive this. I promise. Do whatever you need to get sleep so long as baby is safe, clean, and well fed.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Fed is best! I love formula. I did pumping + formula until 12 weeks, then I finally said gently caress it, not dealing with pumping and WFH and taking care of baby at the same time. The only downside was once he got hungry at a doctor’s appointment and we didn’t have any food with us. I felt guilty about not breastfeeding at first, but that went away after a couple weeks.

Meanwhile kiddo is now 5 months and sleeps 10-11 hours straight at night! (We moved him to his own room and it made a huge difference. It’s worth the tiny risk of SIDS to me.)

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
this title is custom-made!
Does anyone have any recommendations for maternity yoga/workout pants they like? I need something I can really move in while staying decent.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

hallo spacedog posted:

My sister gave me two pairs of Align leggings and they are incredibly amazing. They are super comfortable, have a wide band that fits nicely over the bump. They are not explicitly for pregnancy but in her experience you can wear them after pregnancy too, the band doesn't stretch out at all. I got some other high waisted leggings from target but these are way more comfy. I am wearing my normal pants size at around 31 wk and still am plenty comfortable with room to go.

I will continue to recommend these both for yoga and working out and just wearing in general. They are awesome pants.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

McDougirl posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for maternity yoga/workout pants they like? I need something I can really move in while staying decent.

Old navy has over the belly leggings that were super comfy and stayed put. You'll have to order online, they usually don't carry it in stores.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Second pregnancy - my nipples are super sensitive this time around. What's a good, soft, non-underwire bra (or sports bra) I can obtain to try to mitigate chafage and general bullshit? Padded is a plus, little slots for inserting gel packs are a plus too.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

They offered me an additional ultrasound, and I took them up on it... 33 wk 2 days and the baby is estimated at 5lbs6oz. Hoping this doesn't mean I'm about to have a 10 lb baby...

Rhianasaurus
Dec 21, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

They offered me an additional ultrasound, and I took them up on it... 33 wk 2 days and the baby is estimated at 5lbs6oz. Hoping this doesn't mean I'm about to have a 10 lb baby...

My obstetrician asked me to get a growth scan done as the baby was looking large. At 34w6d it was estimated to be 7 pounds. It was also breech but has now turned the right way again. Is it bad that I wanted it to stay breech so that I have a good excuse for a c-section and not have to push out this possible behemoth? I found out that my husband was over 7 pounds at birth even though he's a twin... I'm scared. Also upset that the really tiny baby clothes I bought probably won't fit.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Rhianasaurus posted:

My obstetrician asked me to get a growth scan done as the baby was looking large. At 34w6d it was estimated to be 7 pounds. It was also breech but has now turned the right way again. Is it bad that I wanted it to stay breech so that I have a good excuse for a c-section and not have to push out this possible behemoth? I found out that my husband was over 7 pounds at birth even though he's a twin... I'm scared. Also upset that the really tiny baby clothes I bought probably won't fit.

Oh jeez I feel for you. They may end up recommending c section anyway, you never know I guess.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Rhianasaurus posted:

You might go into labor early...?

I measured large for my entire first pregnancy, and ended up delivering at 37 weeks with a 7lb 1oz baby. Perfectly normal. Ultrasound and fundal measurements aren’t necessarily 100% accurate. And if it is a big baby, it’s going to be painful and difficult no matter what?? lol I don’t have any words of hope. 10cm is what you have to dilate to no matter how much your baby weighs, and once the head is out, the body slips out pretty quickly after that, regardless if you’ve got a string bean or a chonk.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I had two babies vaginally that were both 8 pounds, and it was fine. They both had heads in the 98th percentile too. It’s amazing what the body can do. Went to 41+3 and 42 weeks respectively.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

A friend of mine who’s a doula is of the opinion that large heads are way more impactful than weight overall. Fat babies squish, but big bones are trickier? At least that’s how I remember it.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I delivered my 10lb 4oz baby (1 day overdue) normally in 27min of pushing. I tore and had an episiotomy, but also an epidural and a lot of local so didn't really worry too much about it when it was happening. Recovery was uncomfortable for 3 weeks, and I have a ridge of scar tissue on my cervix now. But from an actual delivery perspective it wasn't too bad, my OB said big babies have less room to muck around flipping about and getting stuck in random positions.

I also measured 'normally' by fundic measurements and still only about 9lb max with ultrasound.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

cailleask posted:

A friend of mine who’s a doula is of the opinion that large heads are way more impactful than weight overall. Fat babies squish, but big bones are trickier? At least that’s how I remember it.

My OB claims the opposite, big heads open the way better and the skull plates shift anyway. It's the big shoulders that tend to get stuck. Also depends on mom's anatomy. My petite friend had an extremely rough delivery with her sub 7 pounder getting stuck.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry just yet. My second was forecasted to be almost 8 lbs by the due date during the growth scan and came out 6lbs 5 oz at 39 weeks.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My second had super broad shoulders (and large hands and feet) when he was born. He looked like Drax

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
I tore worse with my 7 pounder than my almost 10 pounder. :shrug: The former was a much more stressful delivery and I didn't like the delivery team I ended up with whereas I had a great team for the latter. Just like, having people who know how to communicate clearly when to push makes a huge difference. I think size is just one factor of many.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

2DEG posted:

My OB claims the opposite, big heads open the way better and the skull plates shift anyway. It's the big shoulders that tend to get stuck. Also depends on mom's anatomy. My petite friend had an extremely rough delivery with her sub 7 pounder getting stuck.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry just yet. My second was forecasted to be almost 8 lbs by the due date during the growth scan and came out 6lbs 5 oz at 39 weeks.

Oooh yeah, I remember now! The broad shoulder baby is the trickiest of all. My youngest brother was one of those and got stuck and they had to pop the escape hatch.

So yeah, fat baby by itself isn’t a huge deal, but broad frame is harder.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

hallo spacedog posted:

Did anyone get vaccinated while pregnant? I am more strongly considering it now because it seems like they are opening it up greatly in my state now.

My wife is due in September and we both got our second Pfizer doses this week. We were both a little nervous given the lack of conclusive data indicating that it’s safe for the baby but decided that the benefits of getting it outweighed the risk of her getting COVID while pregnant (especially since she also has some other conditions making COVID more dangerous for her than the average person).

We have an anatomy scan this Wednesday (done by a third party outside the hospital so I actually get to attend!), so I guess we’ll find out then if the vaccine caused the baby to sprout a third arm or something.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 10, 2021

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

That's good to hear, glad you were able to get vaccinated! Kaiser just reached out to us and offered us our first doses on Sunday for me and Monday for my husband so I am feeling a lot of relief and peace of mind now.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
In response to big baby chat: I had five +9 lb babies vaginally, including one that was a vaginal breech birth. It's very possible to do it but not all doctors will opt for it. I'd say prepare for the one but hope for the other. Either way it's over faster than you realize and then there's a baby!

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Also always make sure you have some 3-6 month clothes along with the newborn stuff because much like with ladies sizes, those labels are drat lies.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

We just started completing our baby registry and looked at the crib mattresses and we were not prepared for 100 choices here. What have people had luck with? It looks like it generally falls into foam, spring, and that weird wispy plastic thing.

Also we like the convertible cribs because they seem like they're built a lot sturdier but we're on the fence about spending the extra $350 or whatever for the actual conversion kits, as we're unconvinced about the toddler bed being necessary and by the time our kid can fit into a twin they might want something cool instead of the bed they used when they were a newborn. I guess there's a crib shortage so we will probably want to buy something soon - I'd appreciate people's thoughts on what's worked (or not) for them on a crib.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

We just started completing our baby registry and looked at the crib mattresses and we were not prepared for 100 choices here. What have people had luck with? It looks like it generally falls into foam, spring, and that weird wispy plastic thing.

Also we like the convertible cribs because they seem like they're built a lot sturdier but we're on the fence about spending the extra $350 or whatever for the actual conversion kits, as we're unconvinced about the toddler bed being necessary and by the time our kid can fit into a twin they might want something cool instead of the bed they used when they were a newborn. I guess there's a crib shortage so we will probably want to buy something soon - I'd appreciate people's thoughts on what's worked (or not) for them on a crib.

We got a mini crib, perfectly serviceable, has wheels that lock. I don't understand crib bumpers because like those bars are the point of a crib, if you're gonna go that route just put the baby in a cardboard box.

Big thing is to get (more than one less than twenty) mattress covers or mats to protect the fabric, especially if you plan to do diaper changes in crib. They're lil throw things a bit bigger that burp cloths. Most of the moisture will be from laying down spitup and vomit.

Just aging out of newborn diapers this week. We went between 600-800 diapers in the first 7 weeks. Don't use that as an exact measurements, but also put more than one 186ct box on your registry.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I personally think the foam mattresses are a lot more comfortable than the spring ones. Also, in the two foam mattresses I’ve bought, they both have had one side for the baby stage and one side for the toddler stage, with the toddler one being softer. We have a few waterproof mattress covers that go under a sheet, and we opted for the “cozy” kind since it has a little more fluff to it.

My kid has a spring mattress at grandma’s house, and a friend gave us her kid’s used spring mattress, and they just don’t compare to foam ones. Spring ones are really bouncy, and you can feel the coils.

If you’re looking for specific brand recommendations, we like our foam, one is a Serta and the other is a Beauty Rest, both were less than $100 and their quality is nearly the same.

As far as cribs, they really don’t have to be fancy. Newborns are perfectly happy sleeping in a cardboard box. Our first crib was a nice gift, and a side comes off and it converts to a toddler bed. Our second crib for baby two we got for free, and it’s nothing special, but meets the safety recommendations. The things you really want in a crib is the ability to move the mattress down as your kid gets taller, and something sturdy in case you have your kid in the crib for a few years.

You can go really extreme and spend a ton of money on a crib and mattress, but when it comes down to it, the cheaper options don’t necessarily mean poorer quality or less comfortable. There’s certain safety regulations that Baby stuff has to comply with, so no matter what you spend, those regulations are going to be met. Same with car seats. Car seats need to pass safety testing, so no matter what you spend, you’ll get a safe seat. It’s up to you if you want to add cup holders or flame decals or whatever.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

We got a mini crib, perfectly serviceable, has wheels that lock. I don't understand crib bumpers because like those bars are the point of a crib, if you're gonna go that route just put the baby in a cardboard box.

Crib bumpers stop your kid smashing their head into the bars quite so hard when they're more mobile and thrash around in their sleep; if they go all the way across instead of around each bar they also help prevent stuff falling out of the cot i.e. a pacifier. We didn't ultimately end up going with them but I was tempted when our son kept losing his pacifiers down the side while sleeping and I didn't want to use a clip.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Aren't bumpers dangerous? I feel like I've only ever seen them mentioned in warnings not to use them because of an increased risk of sids and suffocation.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Yes they can suffocate a child

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The APA goes hard against bumpers so that's probably where you've heard it. I dunno, I remember reading the study and thinking "why am I wasting my time on this thing that's only killed 300 babies when I could be freaking out on something that kills thousands of babies". I forget, because it is hard to remember thoughts, but bumpers are as dangerous as a blanket but harder (but not impossible) for baby to grab and choke themselves with.

I mean like, gently caress the APA cuz they take nestle money.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

KirbyKhan posted:

The APA goes hard against bumpers so that's probably where you've heard it. I dunno, I remember reading the study and thinking "why am I wasting my time on this thing that's only killed 300 babies when I could be freaking out on something that kills thousands of babies". I forget, because it is hard to remember thoughts, but bumpers are as dangerous as a blanket but harder (but not impossible) for baby to grab and choke themselves with.

I mean like, gently caress the APA cuz they take nestle money.

Yikes friend

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You kind of have to take a look at your own risk profile and decide for yourself. The people running the APA are probably at least a little bit wacko, but they do have to account for all babies born from ~34 weeks up to 40+ weeks, with all sorts of health ailments, plus all sorts of parents (including smokers) at all income levels, and in all kinds of climates. Blankets in cold weather regions seem to have an outsize impact. Once we looked at the actual SIDS numbers, and realized neither we nor our climate were risk factors we relaxed a little bit

That said sids/choking hazards are real so do your reading and at least learn about current best practices

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I’d say the mattress depends on whether you opt for a convertible crib or not. A spring mattress will work much better if you convert to a toddler bed because it’s bit more stable so if a kid sleeps at the edge of the bed it won’t just squish under them and throw them to the floor, and also if you want to be able to sit on the bed with them at all, a spring will be better. It will also last longer than a foam, so possibly a better investment if you plan to reuse the mattress for another kid later on.

If you’re just going from crib right to twin size, then foam is definitely the cheaper route.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Has anyone else dealt with symphyseal separation?

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

hallo spacedog posted:

Has anyone else dealt with symphyseal separation?

I'm not sure if that's another name for or a more serious version of symphysis pubis dysfunction but I had that and it really sucks. Things that helped me were keeping my knees closed (har har, insert pregnancy joke here) when possible. I had a plastic bag on the seat of my car so it was easier to pivot without stepping my legs apart. Also I practiced rolling around in bed using my arms to do the work instead of my legs. Also sleeping with a pregnancy C pillow as well as a wedge pillow under my bump helped - the wedge pillow was a game changer because I think the weight from my bump was pulling my hips weird when I was sleeping on my side.

It went away pretty much immediately after giving birth so that's something to look forward to at least.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

marchantia posted:

I'm not sure if that's another name for or a more serious version of symphysis pubis dysfunction but I had that and it really sucks. Things that helped me were keeping my knees closed (har har, insert pregnancy joke here) when possible. I had a plastic bag on the seat of my car so it was easier to pivot without stepping my legs apart. Also I practiced rolling around in bed using my arms to do the work instead of my legs. Also sleeping with a pregnancy C pillow as well as a wedge pillow under my bump helped - the wedge pillow was a game changer because I think the weight from my bump was pulling my hips weird when I was sleeping on my side.

It went away pretty much immediately after giving birth so that's something to look forward to at least.

Yeah I think it is similar to symphysis pubis dysfunction, my obgyn didn't didn't get into specific differences. I luckily don't have to leave the house much anymore as I am still working from home but that sheet sounds like a good idea for my work chair etc. Thank you also for the wedge pillow idea, I hadn't thought about that and I also sleep on my side.
Luckily only 6 weeks left, and glad to hear that it seems to go away pretty quickly afterwards as it is pretty painful.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
So everything I've read says that when you first feel the baby start to move, it can feel like fluttering or tickling. Other than "the abdomen," can the location of the sensation be narrowed down more? Off and on for the past few days, I've been feeling a light sensation, which I would call fluttering or tickling, around my belly. It sort of feels like it's in the skin, like not on the surface but maybe an inch or two deep? Does that sound about right? Fwiw I'm at 16 weeks 4 days, which might be a bit early for quickening in a first pregnancy, idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Sounds like it to me! :3: Babies, especially when they're still small, can move around a lot so the sensation can be anywhere in the abdomen. Savor the cute little flutters, it'll be full-on kicks to the ribs before you know it!