Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh hey, my Knuckle Duster Two's arrived :peanut:.

Don't have time to try them out in VR, but just fitting-wise these are really nice! They look well-made, they're very comfortable, and the only negative thing I have to say is they add just a noticeable bit of weight to the generally-light Index controllers. Not a whole lot (they're still far lighter than Vive wands), but you'll feel it the moment you pick them up with KD2's attached.

edit: Here's a link to the store for anyone else wanting some decent Index controller grips.

How long did yours take to arrive? I ordered mine two weeks ago and they’re still pending with the worst carrier, on trac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PirateDentist posted:

How long did yours take to arrive? I ordered mine two weeks ago and they’re still pending with the worst carrier, on trac.

I ordered mine on the 11th, arrived on the 20th. That said, they were only traveling from NZ to Australia, so if you're elsewhere it'll probably take longer.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PirateDentist posted:

From order to door mine took a loving month. (Delivered to midwest US)

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
holy actual poo poo I should've bought bone works instead of alyx when I had the headset the first time it's so drat good.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

holy actual poo poo I should've bought bone works instead of alyx when I had the headset the first time it's so drat good.

I'm super pro-Boneworks and I agree (though Alyx is also awesome). It's jank as poo poo but it takes risks and tries to use as much of VR's capabilities as it can. I played some of the zombie arena mode this past weekend and there's something to be said for being able to sock an enemy right in the face and have it DO something, or to grab one of the not-headcrabs in the middle of its jump with your bare hands and just empty the magazine into its underside.

The bones. They work.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The first time I realized I could grab a headcrab out of the air and just smash it against whatever was nearby it was mindblowing

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcGaMvv6ohQ
Good news, you don't have to watch it on FB!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 21, 2021

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Edit: ^^^^^^^^ oh boy i cant wait for the ports, the stick locomotion zombie shooters, and the stick locomotion zombie shooter ports

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The first time I realized I could grab a headcrab out of the air and just smash it against whatever was nearby it was mindblowing

What about the first time you tried to do that and then hit it with something :smith:

Lemming fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 21, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I love engaging content and entertaining experiences.

E: It's really not that reassuring that they've spent almost half this show's runtime talking about RE4.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 21, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lol I was writing the things they are announcing, but hey, it's all here:
https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-gaming-showcase-new-trailers-behind-the-scenes-footage-and-more/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

"From the creator of 1080 Snowboarding" needs about 500 asterisks next to it given the dude being credited as creator was just one of the programmers.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemming posted:

Edit: ^^^^^^^^ oh boy i cant wait for the ports, the stick locomotion zombie shooters, and the stick locomotion zombie shooter ports

Three of those!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So the one actual new thing they announced was a snowboarding game that's claiming a fairly tenuous connection to 1080 Snowboarding due to it being the most recent game of note on the studio head's resume.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Wow, that was a waste of time.

Also lol at saying 1080 defined a generation, I think that was SSX.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

njsykora posted:

So the one actual new thing they announced was a snowboarding game that's claiming a fairly tenuous connection to 1080 Snowboarding due to it being the most recent game of note on the studio head's resume.

I thought to myself, "Isn't that like 15 years old?" and it's actually from 1998 :psyduck:

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Speaking of satisfying combat, is saints and sinners worth it? Came up recommended and Im a little iffy about dropping over 20 bucks on games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tip posted:

It's not an exaggeration, 1080 was a big deal at the time and absolutely crushed Cool Borders, but also there wasn't a huge amount of decent competition for snowboarding games at the time. 1080 Avalanche was also excellent but like you say, in that generation you had the SSX and Amped games putting up way stiffer competition so it didn't break through as much.

For reference, the other things the guy being credited as 1080's creator worked on enough to be credited on Wikipedia are Doshin the Giant, Steel Diver and a 3DS eShop game I've never heard of called Tank Troopers. He didn't even work on Avalanche.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Quick Beat Saber question - I have the game on Steam and play on my Quest 2 using Link. Just today all of a sudden I've noticed I can only play custom songs in practice mode and I'm getting a notice about how the game's unable to authenticate with Scoresaber. Anyone else having this issue or got any ideas on how to fix it? Mod Assistant says I've got the latest version of everything I need, and I think the only extra thing I enabled other than the basic stuff was the Chroma lighting, so I'm a bit confused. Could be one of the custom songs I added today but I fail to see why that would be causing issues connecting to scoresaber.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

smenj posted:

Quick Beat Saber question - I have the game on Steam and play on my Quest 2 using Link. Just today all of a sudden I've noticed I can only play custom songs in practice mode and I'm getting a notice about how the game's unable to authenticate with Scoresaber. Anyone else having this issue or got any ideas on how to fix it? Mod Assistant says I've got the latest version of everything I need, and I think the only extra thing I enabled other than the basic stuff was the Chroma lighting, so I'm a bit confused. Could be one of the custom songs I added today but I fail to see why that would be causing issues connecting to scoresaber.

Practice mode is exactly that. Scores are not uploaded. Even if you start from the start of the song.

There are other "options" like no fail and what not that prevent uploading scores as well.

With that said. Make sure you have noodle installed, some maps "require" it.

Best bet? Back up your custom song folder. and nuke the games install. Run the game again. close it, rerun the mod manager, install all ur poo poo again. boot game. close it, copy songs back. Without knowing "all of what you're doing" thats the best case honestly if its not just noodle or something missing.

Tip posted:

Its entirely true. 1080 Defined snowboard games. Nothing else was as good and fluid when it came out. Cool boarders was already mentioned but once you tried 1080 that poo poo was jank. In fact, I can't even think of another snowboarding game in that era. heh

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 21, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Its entirely true. 1080 Defined snowboard games. Nothing else was as good and fluid when it came out. Cool boarders was already mentioned but once you tried 1080 that poo poo was jank. In fact, I can't even think of another snowboarding game in that era. heh

There was Snowboard Kids, but that was a different thing, a lot of licensed stuff like the MTV Sports Snowboarding games and the N64 has Twisted Edge, but for stuff that was actually decent it was either 1080 or Cool Boarders depending on your console.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Practice mode is exactly that. Scores are not uploaded. Even if you start from the start of the song.

There are other "options" like no fail and what not that prevent uploading scores as well.

With that said. Make sure you have noodle installed, some maps "require" it.

Best bet? Back up your custom song folder. and nuke the games install. Run the game again. close it, rerun the mod manager, install all ur poo poo again. boot game. close it, copy songs back. Without knowing "all of what you're doing" thats the best case honestly if its not just noodle or something missing.

Yeah, issue is that for custom songs there’s no option to ‘play’ the song any longer at all - there’s only the ‘practice’ button and nothing else. No leaderboard is displaying and I’m just getting a red warning message above where the leaderboard would normally be asking me to restart my game because it can’t authenticate with Scoresaber. Very odd. Only thing I changed today was added a few new custom songs to my folder.

Will try the things you’ve recommended tomorrow though since I’ve put my headset away for the night - thanks for the help! Already tried restarting the game and reinstalling the mods with Mod Assistant, but that’s not solved it yet. Next step I guess I’ll try deleting the new songs I added today before going nuclear and reinstalling the game entirely.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

smenj posted:

Yeah, issue is that for custom songs there’s no option to ‘play’ the song any longer at all - there’s only the ‘practice’ button and nothing else. No leaderboard is displaying and I’m just getting a red warning message above where the leaderboard would normally be asking me to restart my game because it can’t authenticate with Scoresaber. Very odd. Only thing I changed today was added a few new custom songs to my folder.

Will try the things you’ve recommended tomorrow though since I’ve put my headset away for the night - thanks for the help! Already tried restarting the game and reinstalling the mods with Mod Assistant, but that’s not solved it yet. Next step I guess I’ll try deleting the new songs I added today before going nuclear and reinstalling the game entirely.

You basically have to nuke the entire game folder, redownload it, run the game first, THEN close it, THEN mod it again, THEN run it again THEN close it again THEN move your songs back.

Its REALLY important to nuke the whole folder. Beat Saber rebuilds some files on first boot after you reinstall it etc etc.

It sounds like a missing mod. if it dont work out tomorrow take a screenshot of the main game screen where you pick the song and practice mode and poo poo. Theres a little icon that SHOULD be there telling you "hey you need X" or whatever to play whatever song.

LMK and good luck! :D

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah, looking at the timeline I guess 1080 was in 1998 and SSX was 2000, so there was a brief period of time where it ruled supreme.

I don't think it was ever nearly as popular as SSX though, it looks like it sold about 1/3 as many copies as the first game. I knew a bunch of people who loved the SSX games but I never knew anyone who was very into 1080.

I guess, to me, SSX looms so large that if you say "the snowboarding game that defined a generation" and say anything else I'm gonna chuckle.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also 1080 was an N64 game, a console that didn't sell incredibly well, and SSX was in the first wave of PS2 games, a console that sold more units than literally anything before it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tip posted:

Yeah, looking at the timeline I guess 1080 was in 1998 and SSX was 2000, so there was a brief period of time where it ruled supreme.

I don't think it was ever nearly as popular as SSX though, it looks like it sold about 1/3 as many copies as the first game. I knew a bunch of people who loved the SSX games but I never knew anyone who was very into 1080.

I guess, to me, SSX looms so large that if you say "the snowboarding game that defined a generation" and say anything else I'm gonna chuckle.

As popular? Probably not. But it definitely "defined" what a snowboarding game should and could be. Everyone I knew had a copy. That says something when games wernt cheap and rentals were such a big deal still.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Great now I have that “work your body” song from the 1080 lodge stuck in my head

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Leathal posted:

Great now I have that “work your body” song from the 1080 lodge stuck in my head

Lmao it never left my head. God drat I must have spent 100 hours on the 1080 half pipe alone. What an amazing game.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
It's weird cuz I've seen a lot of "Boneworks made me nauseous and Alyx didn't" but it's completely the opposite for me. I think it's because alyx is sorta realistic and outside and boneworks is, at least where I'm at, just like simple geometry inside a bunch of labs and stuff like portal.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

It's weird cuz I've seen a lot of "Boneworks made me nauseous and Alyx didn't" but it's completely the opposite for me. I think it's because alyx is sorta realistic and outside and boneworks is, at least where I'm at, just like simple geometry inside a bunch of labs and stuff like portal.

Boneworks is still one of the few games I have to play in small chunks. Its not framerate, its not my headset, its just that games movement feels so unlike anything else and my brain will not just "shift" into liking it.

I enjoy it. But yeah. 100% one of those people who can't just power through it, about an hour or so and im done for sure.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Anyone have experience with lens / glasses protectors for the Quest 2? I bought a cheap set and installed them and it feels like the entire headset is now resting on my nose and it pushes my glasses uncomfortably against my face.

I use the 1 IPD setting, I also have kind of a big nose so maybe that’s the problem?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I didn't get nauseous playing either but I didn't really like Boneworks because climbing ledges is impossible and I got stuck on a part that required it.
Wish there was a way to unlock everything without playing through the story.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Communist Toast posted:

Speaking of satisfying combat, is saints and sinners worth it? Came up recommended and Im a little iffy about dropping over 20 bucks on games.

Yes, IMO it's one of the best VR games around. Though if you can play it on PCVR instead it's a bit better there.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I've never felt as disconnected from a VR game as I did in Boneworks.

Communist Toast posted:

It's one of the best VR games out there.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

SCheeseman posted:

Yes, IMO it's one of the best VR games around. Though if you can play it on PCVR instead it's a bit better there.

Yeah, graphically it feels extremely pared down with muddy textures and slowdowns (although to be fair I haven’t touched the Quest version since launch week so it might have gotten better with patches).

I might be imagining this but I’m pretty sure the PCVR version has more interactable drawers and cabinets too - I distinctly remember thinking “wtf half the drawers in here don’t open” when digging around in that kitchen for the beignet/gumbo/whatever recipe

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

GoodApollo posted:

Anyone have experience with lens / glasses protectors for the Quest 2? I bought a cheap set and installed them and it feels like the entire headset is now resting on my nose and it pushes my glasses uncomfortably against my face.

I use the 1 IPD setting, I also have kind of a big nose so maybe that’s the problem?

I can't imagine being able to fit anything on the lenses plus have glasses on. If you want to have some sort of protection on the lenses I'd recommend getting some prescription inserts, that way you don't need to wear your glasses when using the headset. I got a set from vroptician.com and they've been great.

You might still run into issues with them touching your nose though, I use the widest IPD setting so I can't help on that front.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Leathal posted:

Yeah, graphically it feels extremely pared down with muddy textures and slowdowns (although to be fair I haven’t touched the Quest version since launch week so it might have gotten better with patches).

I might be imagining this but I’m pretty sure the PCVR version has more interactable drawers and cabinets too - I distinctly remember thinking “wtf half the drawers in here don’t open” when digging around in that kitchen for the beignet/gumbo/whatever recipe

It's a good port considering the circumstances but definitely cut back.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Grashnak posted:

I can't imagine being able to fit anything on the lenses plus have glasses on. If you want to have some sort of protection on the lenses I'd recommend getting some prescription inserts, that way you don't need to wear your glasses when using the headset. I got a set from vroptician.com and they've been great.

You might still run into issues with them touching your nose though, I use the widest IPD setting so I can't help on that front.

my s/o uses the small ipd and has the glasses insert things. Hers are kinda thick too and she does not complain bout nose stuff. She has the ones oculus recommends or w/e. Idk she bought em when I wasn't looking.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

GoodApollo posted:

Are you using the glasses spacer?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1385107808878698504

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
So from my own experience as well as trawling Reddit, it seems like the Quest 2 v28 update has started rolling out properly... without Air Link. :downsgun: